• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm just unlucky. There's been tons of rares that have showed up at the top of the list, and I try and drive around a few block radius, and nothing. Really sad about the Golem, though. Was in a shopping center I was in and walked around everywhere there, and nothing. Then it left.

Same here. This is what usually happens to me.

Just got this alert on my phone? Hippowdon confirmed?
AXEsq5t.png

I've been waiting all day to go on a Pokèmon ride and take my mind of everything going on in my life, and the servers are still down. I'm so frustrated with everything.

Been reading about the 'nearby' tracking system with the 3 feet and came across someone saying it was still broken in some important ways back when it did 'work':
The biggest evidence piece towards this is that the 3 step range was too far. This is because pokemon do not remove themselves from the list until they are knocked off by other, closer pokemon. Out of range and even despawned pokemon will remain in the nearby list. This leads people to believe that the 3 step range is enormous. It was a problem in the beta that wasn't fixed until the final update, and even then it was spotty. They did not incorporate any of the fixes from the last patch of the beta into the final release, for unknown reasons.
Anyone know if this was true? It might explain why I could never find that eevee back when the 3 steps did work :p It might also explain why when I first logged in I'd only have about 3 on the list but after a bit of wandering it almost always seemed to be the full 9 most of the time.

seveer have been straight shit for me for like 4 hours, and the few times I was signed in it was to slow to do anything! and then this happened:

so I was coming out of my local grocery store after doing some shopping an banking and saw this....

Cn2JV4YXgAU-WLzjpg

so I said fuck, let me try to catch it, and lo and behold:

Cn2JabmW8AARI4ujpg

it was 246CP but I'm not complaning, so I berry it up and start chucking all my ultra balls at it. So I get a "great" catch it shakes twice and then all of a fucking sudden the game just glitches out! I got that blue arrow directions as if I was playing in ar mode and the ball just stops.....I quit ans try to log back in and I couldn't....

just fuck you Niantic....just fuck you

damn straight I'm salty

Damn. My heart aches for you. Hopefully, it's in your inventory when you sign back in.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Been reading about and came across someone saying it was still broken in some important ways back when it did 'work':

Anyone know if this was true? It might explain why I could never find that eevee back when the 3 steps did work :p

I feel like the nearby screen worked fine when the game first came out. If a rare was one step away, and then no steps, it WOULD spawn right away. Someone told me if you click on it or on the screen, it would make it pop immediately. I feel like that actually worked, a couple times. Ever since the patch though, this sounds right. Would explain a lot of the issues.

Holy Moly... if those servers aren't up in an hour, that San Francisco Pokemon Pub Crawl is going to be a bloodbath!

I wonder if this will end up being a Nianticlabs protest at their HQ...
I've never had the game be down this late in the day here. I'm starting to think this is basically a planned downtime instead of an overloaded server issue.

Downtime is fine. Not telling the player base it was coming though is insane. Can't prove it of course and at this point we know the policy is silence. The lack of communication is jarring but I have to imagine it is Nintendo that is at fault for it.

edit: and of course now it's up

I will say that I get my "Failed to login" and "failed to get player information from the server" much, much more quickly that I have been all week. I appreciate it isn't taking as long for the door to slam in my face.

I feel like the nearby screen worked fine when the game first came out. If a rare was one step away, and then no steps, it WOULD spawn right away. Someone told me if you click on it or on the screen, it would make it pop immediately. I feel like that actually worked, a couple times. Ever since the patch though, this sounds right. Would explain a lot of the issues.
Yeah, I agree if you could get them down to 2 steps or less it seemed to work fine, but I did find a situation where I just couldn't seem to get closer to a 3 foot eevee. It may be possible that I'd passed it at some point but it'd never gotten pushed off so I was hunting for something that wasn't even in the 3 foot range :p

Durden77

All this technical issue shit with no communication WILL start wearing on people. ESPECIALLY the casuals which are the masses. My girlfriend today said she's done with it. She can only get in like 20% of the times she tries. She's out of Pokeballs and can never get in to get Pokestops when we're around them, and she just dropped her only lure at dinner and got kicked 2 minutes into it.

Whatever they need to do on the technical side, they need to fucking do it. I understand that's tough, but I hope they understand this is a once in a generation type of event that they are killing slowly and are doing everything they possibly can.

But the communication side is fucking absurd. SFV had better communication than this at launch. SAY SOMETHING.

Koh

This down time has to be eating into their immediate (people can't buy now), and future revenue (people will be wary of buying and using lures, for example, when it's back online).

I think today will be a serious catalyst to improvement. Potentially a reprioritization of stability over expansion.

Edit: apparently on-point with the post above :)

javac

Anyone else feel totally stranded and dazed when the app crashes and doesn't load anymore? I feel like I'm aimlessly wandering around this bizarre augmentationless reality...
Its like...why even walk. Why do i even have legs if not for pokemon go.

The lack of communication is pretty insane. I can't wrap my head around that one and they've had more than enough time to hire somebody to deal with the community by now.

PSFan

just logged in...no Dragonite......

So for Dragonite, Charizard and other big and rare Pokemon like that, are the better balls required to catch them or is it possible to catch them in regular Pokeballs? I'm only level 10 currently and if I come across one, I'd like to think I had at least a small chance to catch them by throwing regular balls at it.

I finally didn't get hit with that stupid humbled servers screen.

Now I'm onto the next boss fight, the Gyarados screen.

Edit: Won that battle too!

Galang

Banned
This is so bad for their image that nobody can get in. You figure they'd at least prioritize getting the server shit sorted. It's not like the people affiliated with this app are poor struggling businesses.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I actually considered applying for their PR (before the bad patch). They do have a community manager position open, but I don't feel like the inevitable death threats and whatnot right now. Not sure how much they will even let their spokesperson even say, anyhow.

I don't know about you guys, but I sort of have this habit in the regular Pokémon games where I use strictly regular PokeBalls and Premier Balls (mostly Premier because they're cooler) and I find myself doing the same thing in Pokémon Go.

Maybe I just enjoy suffering...

Edit: 4 hrs left and I'm still holding 3 gyms. Been holding those gyms from 2 days now. Surprising. 3 more gyms and I can get a bag upgrade!

MisterHero

So for Dragonite, Charizard and other big and rare Pokemon like that, are the better balls required to catch them or is it possible to catch them in regular Pokeballs? I'm only level 10 currently and if I come across one, I'd like to think I had at least a small chance to catch them by throwing regular balls at it.
I think catchability depends on CP. But that doesn't explain why low CP mons get harder to catch later on...

Its like...why even walk. Why do i even have legs if not for pokemon go.

When Pokémon GO doesn't work, I wish I was never born.

lmao

I actually considered applying for their PR (before the bad patch). They do have a community manager position open, but I don't feel like the inevitable death threats and whatnot right now. Not sure how much they will even let their spokesperson even say, anyhow.
They'll let you tweet when they launch in a new country.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Damn so close I can taste it. Everything loads but gym battles don't commence.

Maybe because it's getting later for some time zones. I feel like the nocturnal fanbase of going out at midnight-2 am grew out of the original bad servers from the beginning, when the nighttime would be the only stable time.

Fox Mulder

All this technical issue shit with no communication WILL start wearing on people. ESPECIALLY the casuals which are the masses. My girlfriend today said she's done with it. She can only get in like 20% of the times she tries. She's out of Pokeballs and can never get in to get Pokestops when we're around them, and she just dropped her only lure at dinner and got kicked 2 minutes into it.

Whatever they need to do on the technical side, they need to fucking do it. I understand that's tough, but I hope they understand this is a once in a generation type of event that they are killing slowly and are doing everything they possibly can.

But the communication side is fucking absurd. SFV had better communication than this at launch. SAY SOMETHING.

It has to be turning people away. Shame theyre killing it.

At least we'll all have memories for a magical social app that captivated the world for a few days in the summer of '16.

LMAO. I was scared to attempting catching Pokémon but I gave it a chance. Clicked on one and saw nothing but black. I was scared but then I realized that my AR was on. So used to having it off.

PSFan

It has to be turning people away. Shame theyre killing it.

At least we'll all have memories for a magical social app that captivated the world for a few days in the summer of '16.

20 million people is hardly the whole "world". It's only a small fraction of the world's population.

LMAO. I was scared to attempting catching Pokémon but I gave it a chance. Clicked on one and saw nothing but black. I was scared but then I realized that my AR was on. So used to having it off.
I'm the same way when I first get back in. I'm hesistant to do anything unless a really awesome Pokemon pops up. I don't want to freeze myself out of the app over a 156 Venonat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom