• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

sophora

Been getting into Pokemon Go again with the recent updates. Local park where I stock up has several new spawn points near the Pokestops. Pretty happy with the game updates and the exercise has been helping me blow off some major stress.

Biske

While I don't think the game is dead, it is without question that Niantic fucked up.

This game was wild fire, but they failed to pack it with enough stuff to really keep people going and have proven far far faaaaaaaaaaaar to slow at working on the game and addressing peoples problems.

There will of course be the natural lull and drop off, but there is a decent chunk that is their fault.

Specially when Sun and Moon come out and pokemon fans remember what a real pokemon game is like. At that point, Pokemon Go will feel even more ridiculously bare.

JavyOO7

Got my seven day Pokémon streak. Now to get a Pokestop.

HNnGSpu.png

Specially when Sun and Moon come out and pokemon fans remember what a real pokemon game is like. At that point, Pokemon Go will feel even more ridiculously bare.

this is what I'm most afraid of...personally I think I will only okay pokemon go maybe a half hour a day just so I can get first spin, first catch and maybe collect 2 or 3 gyms a day.. there isn't much else going on

jariw

Why are you comparing a F2P game with a full-priced retail game? Pokemon Go isn't targeting the core Pokemon fans.

Joco

Decided to go out for some late night egg hatching as I had 9.5/10 on three 10k eggs. Ended up with Magmar, Scyther, and fucking Eevee. I guess I must have picked it up right before they moved Eevee to 5ks? Either way, it blows. Terrible hatches.

However I can't feel too upset about that because I was shocked to come across Chansey in my neighborhood, which usually doesn't have much of anything good. So Pokédex is at 138 now. Crossing my fingers I magically run into Aerodactyl.

JavyOO7

I think Pokemon fans remember how the handheld games are. GO is a cute little diversion. Do I wish there was more meat in it and that Niantic hurry their butts up? Of course, but it is what it is and there's always the main series to go back into.

The game should not be 100 percent the same as the main series. This little game should stand on its own as its own thing, and I think that's a good thing.

Just caught my third Porygon of the week, and my third Porygon all up.

Now if only this could happen with Snorlax, Aerodactyl and Chansey too.

Oxx

I don't know if Sun and Moon will have that much of an impact on Go's fortunes.

Certainly less of an impact than 'There's nothing to do' and 'It's too cold outside'.

Firemind

"Real" Pokemon game

Enjoy picking a grass/fire/water starter for the twentieth time and battling gyms now renamed to trials which are comically easy. Everything I've read on SM has been a complete shitshow.

I don't know if Sun and Moon will have that much of an impact on Go's fortunes.

Certainly less of an impact than 'There's nothing to do' and 'It's too cold outside'.

Depending on how far GO/ SM was in development or the dialouge and stuff added to the game, I would have liked to have seen Professor Willow appear or have been mentioned in the game. Or even battling with/ against the team leaders. Maybe in the third version lol

I think it's be remiss of them to not have at least a little ad for SM in Go once the game comes out. Just a little available now pop up. If I was them, there should be some cross promotion because those lapsed Pokemon Fans are new potential customers for Go and those SM purchases could also be used for more integration for lapsed Go players. Offer them some sort of cross promotional reward, like I think a few people mentioned next week, Pokemon with Alolan Forms are more common in Go, or maybe you can scan the QR for those to appear in SM? I tried to avoid a bit of the spoilers for SM so I dunno exactly how that works lol

I missed a day yesterday since I was too busy to play, but I'm still really enjoying this update. Progression is usually as slow as a turtle's crawl for me. My workplace's parking lot is crawling with all sorts of neat pokemon, primarily the Nidos, Clefairy and Gastly. Hopefully I'll have a Nidoking and a Clefable soon.

Oxx

I'll probably hit the 1000km walked mark tomorrow.

It has probably been closer to 2000km considering how dodgy some of the distance tracking has been at times.

Joni

Latest Eevee became an 1800 Flareon. Pumped some 25k stardust in it, ending him up at 1997. I wanted him to be my first 2k.

"Real" Pokemon game

Enjoy picking a grass/fire/water starter for the twentieth time and battling gyms now renamed to trials which are comically easy. Everything I've read on SM has been a complete shitshow.

I'm on the same page. I'll never get over how crushingly disappointing XY were, and I'm only on the fence about Sun/Moon. I honestly don't even have high expectations anymore.

Pokemon GO has been both an exciting and frustrating experience for me. It has many problems, but it's still the freshest Pokemon experience I've had in years.

This is the only Pokemon game where I actually care about completing the Pokedex, and I overall enjoyed it much more than the last "real" Pokemon games I played.

In case anyone was wondering: it does. An easy way to net an extra 5000XP a week, between the two bonuses.

Thank you for confirming this.
I'm holding off on my lucky egg until my next 7 day streak,
hoping to get more than 80k xp with those bonuses on my slow phone.

gutabo

For the first time ever, yesterday I got a pokeradar working: pokehuntr. Got some Charmanders, and sone water pokemons I was missing. Today, seems like it's not working anymore. You guys have any luck with other radars? After playing with the radar ONE day, I find the game unplayable :'(

Awayze

Neo Member
Pokemesh works, just make a throwaway PTC account. Variety of Pokemon has also brought some fun back into the game.

Went out for a little drive after work. Was worried I wouldn't be able to find any Omanyte or Kabuto without the increased spawns, but there was one of each around the area my parents live, cuts off 40km on buddy walking.
It's weird how they spawn there as it's a residential area with nothing notably different about it to anywhere else but oh well, I'm happy to find fossil Pokemon.
Do Aerodactyl's generally rarely spawn in areas with the other two? Still never seen one of those.

Also went and got 7 gyms, 4 of which I didn't even have to battle as they just had a free spot. Drove past all the ones that I would have to train, too time consuming. Will be able to get an incubator tomorrow.

So I've been playing a lot with my friend over the weekend. Man it was so fucking cold outside, we were freezing to death but it was also a lot of fun.
We found some cool nests (Bulbasaur, Mankey, Pikachu) and he caught a lot of Pokemon he still needed (mainly water Pokemon) but also he hatched a Porygon.
But overall there wasn't that much to find since the event stopped the day before.
We also took some gyms and even destroyed a lvl 10 one. It took some time and we needed almost all of our potions and revives but it was fun.

For me it was not so special since I only found one Dratini (our city has a big river with tons of water Pokemon but Dratini is unfortunately ultra rare) and also one Machop.
But then my 10km egg hatched and .... IT WAS A LAPRAS!!!!
Oh man I was so happy. People gave us strange looks as we were cheering.
And it also has Blizzard, perfect. Man I was so happy. I also found some other great Pokemon with high lvl and good IVs which I'm super happy about. So all in all it was a lot of fun.
But it was just too cold. I think I could do this again on a sunny day but not more than 1-2h.
Now I don't need to go out that much anyways since I only need to walk like 200km with my Dratini and Machop as buddy to get my Pokedex zo 142

Just spent half an hour grinding a friendly gym up a level so I could put a pokemon in it only to leave the last fight needed to put it over the line and find someone had already sniped my spot. I guess the gym protection doesn't apply to gyms that belong to your side :/

Genuinely makes me question why I bother when after spending that time and recovers/potions all I've got is some xp I could've got doing just about anything else.

Thinking on it, I'd say they have the gym system almost backwards: I'm actually more glad to see enemy gyms than I am friendly ones. Nabbing a gym doesn't really help my team much beyond the first individual lucky enough to snag the extra slot that opens from the xp of the first one. If anything I'm helping individuals on the enemy teams more because it's a lot easier to take down an opposing gym and slap something in than trying to grind through your own team's mess only to get it sniped by a passerby or GPS-spoofer.

Just spent half an hour grinding a friendly gym up a level so I could put a pokemon in it only to leave the last fight needed to put it over the line and find someone had already sniped my spot. I guess the gym protection doesn't apply to gyms that belong to your side :/

Genuinely makes me question why I bother when after spending that time and recovers/potions all I've got is some xp I could've got doing just about anything else.

Same thing happened to me last week, I was furious.
Got better things to do than stand in the cold for half an hour only to be gym sniped.
Once you reach the amount of prestige needed to put it over the line it should automatically switch to a 'choose which Pokemon' screen.
Like if your first Pokemon in the battle won enough battles by itself to get enough prestige to level up the gym, but then once it's defeated you still have to carry on battling with your remaining 5 Pokemon while the gym is open for someone else to place a Pokemon, it's dumb.

Same thing happened to me last week, I was furious.
Got better things to do than stand in the cold for half an hour only to be gym sniped.
Once you reach the amount of prestige needed to put it over the line it should automatically switch to a 'choose which Pokemon' screen.
Like if your first Pokemon in the battle won enough battles by itself to get enough prestige to level up the gym, but then once it's defeated you still have to carry on battling with your remaining 5 Pokemon while the gym is open for someone else to place a Pokemon, it's dumb.
Heh, yeah, I was livid as well. Second time it's happened to me as well :p

I was considering something like your system but then I realised another flaw in the gym system: Multiple people can attack a gym at the same time, so even with something like what you suggested it's possible for someone to join in, fight and maybe finish it before you do just as it goes over the edge so they're the one that technically did it. Or they can come in while you're healing/reviving your pokemon for that last shot and nab it too. Unless it was reserved for the person who did the most 'damage' for a certain amount of time before giving the 'last hitter' or next most damage a shot?

Pfft people complaining about the cold.

It released in the winter here and that didn't stop the crowds.

Yeah when it comes to cold weather I'm a total pussy. Negative temperatures and no gloves on just is not good for me -_-

Yeah I don't understand why they didn't apply the gym protection to that as well. I mean it's cool that gym protection is finally in but they should have done it right. Oh well, Niantic will continue to make baby steps I guess

I have one lonely Snorlax that I caught months ago... he's only 452 CP, he has Zen Headbutt and Hyper Beam, and is 'above average' but his stats 'exceed my calculations!'
In other words, he's not great, but he's the only one I've ever seen in the game, shall I just give up on finding a good one and pump some stardust into him!?

AdanVC

Thanks to this gym update, gyms are very active again and they change of team several times through the day. I rarely see level 10 gyms anymore wich is nice because before the update, nobody of the opposite teams bothered on taking them down because it was a pain and a waste of time, potions and revives. Too bad is now a pain in the butt to level up gyms only so the opposite team comes and kicks you out in a minute. But oh well you can't have everything.

In case anyone was wondering: it does. An easy way to net an extra 5000XP a week, between the two bonuses.

Niiice, thanks for the tip! I got a super massive evolve session+lucky egg left to do so this is excellent to know! I've been holding on doing it because I'm always looking forward to what the next egg will hatch into to include them on the evolve session.

Firemind

I have one lonely Snorlax that I caught months ago... he's only 452 CP, he has Zen Headbutt and Hyper Beam, and is 'above average' but his stats 'exceed my calculations!'
In other words, he's not great, but he's the only one I've ever seen in the game, shall I just give up on finding a good one and pump some stardust into him!?
Nope. Snorlax candy are hard to come by as it is.

Just need to play the lottery game...

Top Bottom