• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Another earthquake in the Fukushima zone in Japan, where that Lapras event is ongoing. Trainer Tips Nick is supposed to be out there, at least I think he's still out there, hope he's okay. Along with the people of Japan.

It was rather tame by Japanese standards. Hopefully it won't cause too large tidal waves.

Dynasty

Wow, Cloyster and Jynx are very strong Ice types right now. Lapras is practically unchanged, but it's still the best.

Dewgong got nerfed hard.

Yh my Jynx and Cloyster got big upgrades.

Dont like the fact than Vileplume and Victreebel got nerfed when im so close to evolving them, they were meant to be my way of dealing with Vaporeons in the gyms but guess Jolteon can do that a bit more effectively now.

Firemind

My Rhydon went from like 1250 to over 1950. What.

I mean, I welcome a rebalance, but this Rhydon buff is what surprises me the most I think.
Well, Rhydon is supposed to have a monster attack stat and now it reflects that. Nobody would teach it special moves but what Niantic did before was averaging each mon's attack and special attack, which resulted in Rhydon having a low base attack stat.

Come to think of it... Niantic may very well changed the base attack of each mon. Lapras stayed the same and it has the same base attack and special attack...

border

Another earthquake in the Fukushima zone in Japan, where that Lapras event is ongoing. Trainer Tips Nick is supposed to be out there, at least I think he's still out there, hope he's okay. Along with the people of Japan.

He was on Twitter 26 minutes ago, so I presume he's not in the affected areas.

GulAtiCa

This now means that Jolteon might just be useful! The Pokemon to use in gym battles is now much different

Wow, so this really was the fuckup it looked to be. Glad my vaporeons are even bigger monsters now but...what the fuck? So many others have gone to shit.
and so many others that were previously shit, are now finally viable and useful.

border

157% buff for Chansey? Damn, I hope I never run into one of those on a tower.

50% buff for Rhydon is pretty crazy too. I think Rhyhorn is going to be my buddy for the next couple of weeks.

So not a singlepokemon has spawned in my nearby for about 30 minutes. There is always at least 3 at all times.

Anyone else e experiencing this?

Replicant

My Cloyster, Kangaskhan and Rhydon are monstrous now. I mean they were no slouch and were about 15k. But now they're closing to 20k. But my Victreebell and Vileplum. T_T. I appreciate diversity in my lineup more than CP and now my upper lineup looks like a typical gym. :(

8wghiw3.png

EDIT: 305HP for Chansey now? HAHAHAHA. I'm going to power up my Pound/Psychic one.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
So this changes everything basically? We'll get new att/def tiers ? I hope my Alakazam can be useful now, he had the perfect moveset and 90 IV, but never bothered to power him up. He jumped from 900ish CP to 1500.

border

I have a friend who won't shut up about how incredible Golem is and what a sucker I am for not really messing around with Geodude evolutions......man I am never going to hear the end of it now.

Oxx

Interesting times.

I suppose it will take a while for the dust to settle and work out what's worth powering-up in this brave new world.

Firemind

My Cloyster, Kangaskhan and Rhydon are monstrous now. I mean they were no slouch and were about 15k. But now they're closing to 20k. But my Victreebell and Vileplum. T_T. I appreciate diversity in my lineup more than CP and now my upper lineup looks like a typical gym. :(
It's actually a great opportunity to diversify your lineup now. Personally I will power up Jolteon and Gengar since they're my favourites :)

Im mostly positive about the change, mainly because I'm glad to know for sure that Niantic is willing to balance CP.

As for the actual changes, it's exciting to see certain Pokemon go up, dissappointing to see others go down, but I'm not sure of my thoughts on how this will effect the overall gym defender meta though.

I feel like many of the Pokemon who got buffed didnt get buffed enough to hang in the gym defender game. And certain Pokemon that were closer to being up there got nerfed. Rhydon will probably be the new Arcanine, just beefier and still easily taken out by Vapes. I'd hope at some point, Vape gets nerfed a bit and Blastoise becomes the superior one, considering it's MUCH harder to get.

I'm mostly thinking about the gym defender meta because I think the easist way to make this game a lot more interesting right now is to have more viable defenders. I'm really happy about Machoke, Gengar, and Alakazam's buffs. I really wish the Nidos and faries got buffed up to that level, but they seemed to have gotten nerfes for some reason. Same with Vileplume and Victribel. Hmm.

I honestly dont the buffing already strong pokemon as they did is that big of a deal. I'm more concerned with how they nerfed many Pokes that could have used buffs.

im still laughing lolol

I wake up and see that my Rhydon are the strongest mons i have now. My Arcanine army is gone now

and they seriously just nerf all the grass pokemon?

Fucking hell. I was about to evolve my 100% Gloom

Firemind

I feel like many of the Pokemon who got buffed didnt get buffes enough to hand in the gym defender game. And certain Pokemon that were closer to being up there got nerfed. Rhydon will probably be the new Arcanine, just beefier and still easily taken out by Vapes. I'd hope at some point, Vape gets nerfed a bit and Blastoise becomes the superior one, considering it's MUCH harder to get.
I'm fairly certain Jolteon will make a splash in the new meta because Vaporeon and now Gyarados are high tier. With a 30% buff, Jolteon will just demolish them. And as a defender, there really aren't that many counters, especially after the grass nerfs. Rhydon and Golem are the only ones and Golem isn't common since it's basically a starter in the 2km group.

And once Zapdos is released... Oh my.

Replicant

In what world did fucking Dragonites and Snorlaxes need a buff?

The world of "Pokemon Go". EHEHEHEHE

:( Gym's going to be even more boring now. I think the problem is dust requirements for some of the more interesting creatures are still too high for the CP that they are at (ie. Chansey).

I was just about to post about my pokemon gettting a phantom cp boost! not complaining though!

also: GOT 5 10KM EGGS IN ONE DAY!!! WOOOOOOOOT

gonna be a shitload of walking though....

Red Fire

I think some people here need to understand that niantic didn't just manually nerf some grass types or buff dragonite..

The base stats were changed so that they reflect the base stats of the main games in a better way. Attack stat will now not just be a combination of attack and special attack, which resulted to alakazam being shit for example. Instead, the new cp is actually representing the pokemon's attack power. Same with defence i think.

In my opinion this is a great change.

sheeiiiit it's been 3 weeks since i've seen one. Hopefully they changed the odds of getting one?

In the last month and a half (or more?) I've gotten nothing but 5km eggs, outside of two 2km eggs that were shit. I have no idea when my last 10km was. :|

I think some people here need to understand that niantic didn't just manually nerf some grass types or buff dragonite..

The base stats were changed so that they reflect the base stats of the main games in a better way. Attack stat will now not just be a combination of attack and special attack, which resulted to alakazam being shit for example. Instead, the new cp is actually representing the pokemon's attack power. Same with defence i think.

Yeah, I agree. It fixes a lot of issues and make everything much more representative of the actual games. It just sucks that my biggest Stardust sinks by far were nerfed (half-dozen max or near-max Arcanine). :(

HiResDes

So Blastoise being worst than Vape is cannon, eve evolutions should be nerfed across the board imo they're too easy to acquire im sitting on nearly 400 eve candy.

... The Wigglytuff, Dewgong, Clefable, Victreebel, Vileplume, nido royalty, and parasect nerfs actively hurt the Meta quite greatly imo.

I'm hesitant to say that PoGo's balance more reflects the base stats of the main games for a couple reasons.

I mean, yes, it further reflects the main games in the sense that it may be more balanced, but the way they went about balancing doesn't follow the same philosophy in which the mainline games balance them. The balancing in POGO before was abysmal, so it's really easy to make a change for the better. I'm more positive about the changes, as I think it is a step in the right direction, but I don't know if I think the balance is "good" yet. Probably less terrible though.

As for the bolded, the base attack stat in GO probably still uses a formula that involves the attack & sp. attack from the mainline games. What we know (well, according the the Silph Road research people) is that the base POGO stats were changed. Lapras is the only one that remains unaltered. What we don't know yet is if the formula calculating the base stats in PoGO has been changed, or if the formulas are the same but they just went and individually messed with the base stats after they were already calculated by the formula. At least from how I understand it.

Top Bottom