• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Marvie_3

Banned
Its been over 24 hours now since it started and my game still freezes right after the loading screen every time. Ive restarted, reinstalled, etc etc. So fucking annoying.

8bit

Knows the Score
I MADE. A BREAKTHROUGH

I figured out why Pokemon never spawned on my Community College Campus!!

If all of this Open Street Map stuff is true...

.. So, it's known that grade schools are normally marked as a deadzone for Pokemon spawns. At first I thought it marked my campus as a deadzone because it was so close to a middle school... But no.

The university 5 minutes away have Pokemon spawns for days, so I always wondered why my college didn't...

I checked its boundaries on Open Street Maps, and it was marked as "School Grounds". That being something like a middle-school, or elementary school. There's the issue! I just updated it to be marked as a "College Grounds". After that, I went to check the boundaries of the University a few minutes away that does have Pokemon spawns, and it was marked as "University Grounds".

All of this time, it was because someone mis-tagged my school, so the game thought it was a grade school... I made the changes. Hopefully next time OSM & the spawn points update in PoGO, it accounts for those changes... :D

I also was always bummed that the coolest park in my town wasn't marked in PoGO and had very little spawns. There are other parks in my city that are marked in PoGO. So when I checked that out on OSM, all of the other parks were designated, except the cool one I mentioned earlier. It also has a huge lake which wasn't marked. So I designated the park area and the lake.

Why would you think it uses OSM over Google/Niantic own data?

Why would you think it uses OSM over Google/Niantic own data?

Because of speculation that went on at the subreddit based on reports that OSM data lines up with the PoGO map in people's areas.

It make so much sense. This lake at the park near me never even spawned water pokemon. That's because it wasn't even marked as anything on OSM.

People also found that all of the habitat/biome tags that you can find in PoGO's source code are all tags that you can use to designate areas with in OSM.

Read the reports in this topic. https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRo...hink_i_figured_out_why_pokemon_never_spawned/

Because of speculation that went on at the subreddit based on reports that OSM data lines up with the PoGO map in people's areas.

It make so much sense. This lake at the park near me never even spawned water pokemon. That's because it wasn't even marked as anything on OSM.

People also found that all of the habitat/biome tags that you can find in PoGO's source code are all tags that you can use to designate areas with in OSM.

Read the reports in this topic. https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRo...hink_i_figured_out_why_pokemon_never_spawned/

ok guess ill add a walking trail on my house i mean it cant hurt.

PaRappa

Its been over 24 hours now since it started and my game still freezes right after the loading screen every time. Ive restarted, reinstalled, etc etc. So fucking annoying.

Yeah mines been like that too. Uninstalled and reinstalled it countless times. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. Right now it just doesn't and it's super frustrating.

There have been so many bugs with this game I'm almost done.

Joni

Great, mine worked perfect for a day after the update but now it doesn't load anything when I launch it. I hope the servers are just messing up.

Firemind

The lag is so bad that I constantly mistime dodges. And sometimes I do get a correct dodge and I get the dreaded infinite faint animation bug. :lol

Good for all the people who are in high level gyms.

Anybody out there using the watch app? I tried walking around my house with it on and got no credit whatsoever. Do I need to have the phone with me with the app running as well?

GulAtiCa

This morning I caught 6 Onixs. I now have enough candy to get Steelix whenever he is introduced.

Last night, a Ivesaur popped up as well as an Omanyte.

GulAtiCa

There is new graphics/code to signify "presents" are coming, possible on Christmas day or soon after.

Niantic tends to not announce events or special things until a few days before or after it's live. So, until Jan 1st, don't assume anything.

That said, still hoping for double candy.

Double D

Anybody out there using the watch app? I tried walking around my house with it on and got no credit whatsoever. Do I need to have the phone with me with the app running as well?

I just started using it this morning. Not sure if you need the phone with you, but I drove to work this morning and fist-pumped the whole time and it tracked all of it. Godsend.

AdanVC

WTF? My last 3 eggs have been Krabby. Something has gone wrong in Niantic's coding or intentional BS on their part.

And I got those 3 eggs from different parts of the city too. Oh, they all have shit IVs too.

Don't say it!! I just redeemed an extra incubator with 150 hard earned coins from battling in gyms (And when I say hard earned I mean VERY hard earned because of those damn hack players invading gyms from the comfort of their basement.) I would get so mad if I hatch the same shitty pokemon several times :'(

8bit

Knows the Score

Nah, I don't believe that. OSM is open (other than maybe peer review), and open can be gamed.

Niantic mapped the world via Ingress, why redo that data?

TL;DR version:
Squirtle, Charmander, Bulbasaurs, and their evolutions with a higher spawn rate. You can get a daily incubator once per day from Pokestops. Holiday Pikachu will stick around a bit longer. Increased gen 2 hatch rates and lures will be 60 minutes.

jnWake

Is it a daily incubator from all Pokéstops or a daily incubator from each Pokéstop? Wording was confusing.

Neat event though, although I'd have liked double exp too haha. Wonder if any new Gen 2 Pokémon will appear there.

border

Hey look at that.

http://pokemongolive.com/en/post/holiday2016/

Increased chance to get gen 2 Pokémon

With the very obvious caveat that you are going to have to clear out your egg inventory to do it. Which is to say that you'll have to buy more incubators if you even want to get the eggs more likely to contain Gen 2 babies.

After Halloween and Thanksgiving, I can't believe how stingy Niantic is being over Christmas. Would it really have been that hard to do double dust or double XP? Or anything that isn't a shallow attempt to sell real-currency items?

Lionheart

officially now a shitstain for putting 172 km on a Charmander and 61 km on a Squirtle.
Lol yeah, I did walk Charmander for a while, but that was during the Halloween event luckily, so I didn't walk it that much, plus I stopped at around 90 candies, because I was sure I'd get a Charmander out of an egg right after I had walked til the end. ;)

Now I've walked waaaaay too long with a Dratini already (216km), which I never seem to run into, and F that 5km per candy... I'm like not even half way...

I'm sure when I finally got the required 125 candy, there'll be a water Pokémon event. :p

Either way, decent event, but I agree with border: you'll have to walk a lot to get the most out of it or 'waste' the 1 use incubators on 2 / 5 km eggs. I usually save them for 10 km eggs to get the most out of them.

With the very obvious caveat that you are going to have to clear out your egg inventory to do it. Which is to say that you'll have to buy more incubators if you even want to get the eggs more likely to contain Gen 2 babies.

Well I make it a maximum of 8 incubators they'll be giving you for free over that period potentially, so it's not like they're not helping with that side of things... Even if you don't get to hatching them in the period, those plus an unlimited should be a good stab at collecting a number of the eggs.

The starters thing is a nice touch too. Shame I just finished walking a Charmander 140km to finish evolving that, but I'm about 92 candies to go on a Bulba.

GulAtiCa

After Halloween and Thanksgiving, I can't believe how stingy Niantic is being over Christmas. Would it really have been that hard to do double dust or double XP? Or anything that isn't a shallow attempt to sell real-currency items?

Which is why they are giving out free incubators!

Joni

Got 145 Pokemon to evolve so I was really wishing for a double xp event. And I just got done with Bulbasaur and charmander walking while being prepared for a Santa raichu. Still, some extra candy for these cannot be bad.

AdanVC

holy shit 1 free incubator per day from Dec 25 to Jan 3

And just when I redemmed an incubator... they are a pain to get with gyms filled with hackers. If I had waited 2 more hours I would had keep those coins to exchange them for more Pokémon or Items space... MY LUCK IS OUT OF THIS WORLD :')

Nah, I don't believe that. OSM is open (other than maybe peer review), and open can be gamed.

Niantic mapped the world via Ingress, why redo that data?

Believe what you want, but the evidence don't lie :D

People also confirmed that since the increased rural spawn update, there are increased spawns along places marked as footpaths inside areas designated as state parks and national parks in OSM.

No one is saying that OSM is the only thing they use for their data btw.

GulAtiCa

Walked about 2.7km via the Mall today. Just 6.3km to go. Maybe by Monday I'll hatch my eggs. Want to try to get some new baby Pokemon.

kubus

So the Apple Watch Go app is out, and no one has made a peep about it? Not even a thread? It's literally a game changer.
I really can't wait till I've saved up enough for a Watch 2. Don't think I can get it this month, but maybe next month. Now that the Pokémon Go app is out, it's hard not to run out and grab one from the closest Apple Store.

It's weird there's no thread about it... I wanted to read some impressions but had to come to this thread instead :(

I really can't wait till I've saved up enough for a Watch 2. Don't think I can get it this month, but maybe next month. Now that the Pokémon Go app is out, it's hard not to run out and grab one from the closest Apple Store.

It's weird there's no thread about it... I wanted to read some impressions but had to come to this thread instead :(
I guess I'll make one? Hell there were a couple just rumoring the cancellation.

So here are my thoughts on the event

More starter pokemons sounds good to be since i only get Squirtles around here. Daily incubator is also good shame they are 1 use only. Holiday Pikachu is great i love stuff like that already have my santaraichu but still. Increased gen 2 hatch rates is ehh....i only want Togepi and that last thing i want from my 10k eggs are babies.

im thinking maybe i should save all the incubators for when more gen 2 pokemons are out? is there a limit to the ammount of incubators you can carry or do they cound towards your normal inventory space?

Top Bottom