• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

ciD_Vain

Finally evolved Koffing to Weezing! With only 11 Grimer candies, I feel like it'll be a lifetime before I will get Muk to reach 142 in my Pokedex.

GulAtiCa

Been a very productive day! Finally caught my last 2 Dratinis. But, my best Dratini is only a 89% IV. Think I should wait for potential 95% IV Dratini (I have several 10k eggs on me that could hatch into this, more on this later)?

On my way to my run, I was able to put my Pokemon in a good bit of gyms. 6 in fact. My biggest ever. One of them will very much last me a while. I'm sure the others will go down quickly, but now have at least 2 that will last be a good while.

The funny thing is on my way back from running, I saw 1 of the gyms I took over was under attack from 2 people sitting in a car (parking lot of a running/biking trail). So, I pulled to the side and just let them have it. After they left, I immediately booted them out. Wish I could have seen their faces when their Pokemon returned to them. :lol
I was kinda tempted to put in a very obviously weak pokemon, like a pidgey, to troll them as soon as they knocked it down, but I wasn't fast enough. Would have been funny, but would have obviously alerted them that someone was there to re-take it over. So prob best I didn't do that.

Also hatched so many damn eggs! Hatched like 3 Geodudes, 2 Machops, a Magnemite (can now evolve)! A few lesser so, like Oddish, Magikarps, and so on. Gained so much stardust from this. Nice.

Also, finally have a new 10k egg. 2 in fact from my run. So I'm up to 3 on my quest to do 8+ in a row.

They are a pest to me lol

It's insane (even if kinda fun) to think that something that's super common to you is super rare to me in my city.

My problem is I simply do not travel all that much. Even downtown Cleveland I've never seen them.

Oh well, whenever trading begins it'll help!

Today was a mixed day like several others. I was trying to go for 50 coins today, but my Pokemon kept getting attacked. The most I had at one time was 4 Pokemon, but I ultimately just cashed out at 30 coins because I was getting fed up. I joined a few high level Instinct gyms, but even those don't last that long because everybody wants to be on Team Mystic for some reason.

There was good and bad news for my evolutions. I evolved my Ekans into Arbok, and it unfortunately has Bite and Dark Pulse.

The good news, however, makes this day overall worthwhile. I've been collecting Magikarps ever since this game launched, and I finally had enough to get a Gyarados today. It has good stats all around with perfect HP, near perfect Attack, and 10+ Defense. Obviously, the main point is that my Gyarados has Hydro Pump as a strong move! I'm pretty stoked about this.

jts

...hate me...
It's insane (even if kinda fun) to think that something that's super common to you is super rare to me in my city.

My problem is I simply do not travel all that much. Even downtown Cleveland I've never seen them.

Oh well, whenever trading begins it'll help!
Yeah that's an interesting thing about this game. I mean I'm sure there are many pokemons I lack around me that other locations have plenty of.

But yeah this place in town though is a nest of Magnemite and Voltorb. Magnemite I've caught 23 out of 26 but I don't try to catch them anymore.

On the other hand still have not seen a single Charmander for example :|

I think the point that zroid was trying to make is that Vaporeon is very tanky, so it lasts longer than most Pokemon. Snorlax is really bad to fight against because he can take a massive amount of hits.

These types of Pokemon can make gym battles and training even slower than normal, and that costs people a lot of time.

I have a magikarp that is

-can accomplish anything
-HP strongest feature
-Just as impressed with attack
-Blown away by it's stats

95+ pecent IV?

Geneijin

Still annoys me to this day that I can't sort eggs in any order. Doesn't help that the game shuffles them around at random times. I really want to max my item slots first (at 800) before I waste coins on Incubators again.

GulAtiCa

My new buddy! Took me a few months to evolve this all the way. Feels good.

CruTavGWcAEGB-v.jpg:large

rc213

Oh hey i just hatched 3 10km eggs...

Pinsir
Onix
Onix

At least i caught a EEvee 691, Ponytas 723 and a Growlithe 761 all above 85% IV.

AdanVC

Of course there has to spawn a Kabutops, an Exeggutor and a freaking Alakazam at the same time a few blocks from home at 12:34 am when it's pouring in rain. FMMMLLLLLLL!!!! :( Haven't catched the Kabutops and the Alakazam!

MANUELF

Banned
Of course there has to spawn a Kabutops, an Exeggutor and a freaking Alakazam at the same time a few blocks from home at 12:34 am when it's pouring in rain. FMMMLLLLLLL!!!! :( Haven't catched the Kabutops and the Alakazam!

Nothing over here except Dodrios and Pidgeots :(

PS: NEVER check pokemonnearby late at night, it will make you cry

GeoGonzo

I wonder why the sound design of this game is so unapologetically bad? I understand using the original pokemon roars, they sound out of place but still have a certain nostalgic charm to it, for some people (also, saves them a lot of effort)... but everything else is painfully, painfully bad.

Why a music/sounds toggle instead of a volume slider?

Why does every item received from a pokestop make an individual and incredibly loud sound? They often blend together into a hellish shriek.

Why does every pokemon spawn sound the same? Its a pidgey, yes. Hah, made you look! We could use each individual pokemon roar, or a differend sound for rares, or pokemon you don't have in your pokedex but... nope.

I'm not saying the whole game is awful or anything but the squandered potential is just bizarre.

Joco

Hatched 7 eggs at once - results were:

5k eggs: Meowth, Paras, Growlithe, Rhyhorn, Horsea, Psyduck.

10k egg: Scyther

Pretty disappointing hatches. At least I'll be ready for Scizor. Have 79 Scyther candy now.

hiryu64

So did they just make Pidgeys, Weedles, and Caterpies ridiculously hard to catch because of the lucky egg evolution trick? Because that's the only reason I can come up with as to why I can't ever catch them anymore.

cHinzo

I've already got a couple of best pokemons that have two perfect stats but the calculator gave me below 90% IV.
Yeah got a perfect HP and Attack Dratini and apprailas gave me less than 80%. 😫 The Defense must have sucked really badly for it to have less than 80% perfect IV.

Pachimari

They should really rotate the Pokémon showing up in areas, so that it wouldn't always be fucking Drowzees around my place. And there's nothing new out in the city either.

03sho

Visiting NYC from UK tomorrow and I'm expecting big things re catching Pokemon. Anyone recommend any places for good spawns?

I'm thinking Central Park obviously I'll be disappointed if I don't come back with a Tauros, Drgaonite and a Snorlax... Or is that asking too much?

Dishwalla

Banned
Hampton Roads folks, rumor has it that Beach Garden Park off Laskin Rd. in Virginia Beach is a Charmander spawn point right now, about to go down there in a couple hours and check it out. Also the Virginia Beach Aquarium parking lot is a Ponyta hot spot right now.

KiDdYoNe

Was lurking info about update here and saw you guys can't figure out IV's for sure.
I'm not promoting anything and there's probably a lot of calculators, but if you're iOS user, try an app called AutoIVCalc. It's pretty accurate and all you need to do is take a screenshot of your mon. Not sure about connection but I think it's an offline one.

Dev also has manual calculator, which is 100% offline.

Those two helped me a lot.

Why a music/sound toggle that is placed so that the app still plays the music until you login?

Where the hell do you get those?
Also keep one for me... you never know...there might be trading some day haha. (I have a nice Pidgeot on offer!)

two are hatched, 3 or 4 were randomly ran into, the rest I found from Twitter feed and jellies_two website

edit: it's weird, for the Rares you remember exactly where you find all of them and the stuff that happened at the time.

Defending pokemon don't stand a chance, which is why high CP defenders are actually more important than high CP attackers: so you can find an established high level gym in a low foot traffic area, add your pokemon and not be near the bottom. Since I've started taking gyms seriously, I've only gone below 8 by the time my cooldown was up once.

IVs and movesets are nice and all, but when it comes down to it, the most valuable defensive attributes are gym level, CP and the right defensive typing for your area to discourage attackers in the first place.

That's why a bad defender like Gyarados still has a chance, thanks to her/his high CP and the "intimidation" factor.

GulAtiCa

Yes! So, a local gym near my work has always been lv 9+. Finally it was at 45,000 with 2 Gyarados at the bottom. So I used my Jolteon and easily destroyed the Gyarados (esp as it had Twister. lol). Got my new 2200+ Dragonite in the gym. I'm now 4th from the top. This gym has barely been below lv 9 in months. That Dragonite is going to last me a long long while.

Might be time to start working on my 2nd Dragonite. lol

zroid

Banned
Vaporeon is easy to beat. Just use an electric or grass. Jolteon and Victreebel works good for me.
dude if I had viable electric or grass pokemon it'd be a different story I'm sure lol

well I actually hatched a good Electabuzz a couple hours after I posted that so well see!

Top Bottom