• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Red Fire

So apparently the new update fixed the grimer bug. I can't confirm it since i haven't had the issue and the update isn't out here yet but good for the people who had problems with it

GulAtiCa

My new evolved Pokemon:

CsB8pw2WIAAXoVy.jpg:large
That move set! :)

That move set... :(

Dishwalla

Banned
lol that Venusaur, he looks so happy.

Had some bad luck with Pokemon running today, had several run off including a Vulpix, a Grimer, and even a Magikarp(I'll never understand how a Magikarp "runs away"). Was still able to catch a bunch of other stuff, but all those running Pokemon were so frustrating.

Also today would have been a great day to have that buddy system, traveled like 17km in total today. Still waiting on that update...

deanote666

This.

Huge problem is the tracking, I can walk 5K or 10K but good luck getting the game to recognize that.

Nothing worse than going on a long walk and after realizing the game apparently wasn't paying attention. Given the enormous amount of fitness apps and easiness of step counters... this is inexcusable for a game built around walking.

Make sure to leave the app open for awhile after you are done with your walk or wait a minute or 2 before changing directions on your walk. Give it a chance to catch up.

I needed .45km for an egg to hatch when I got home. I had it sitting on my passenger seat on my way home. Sat for a few minutes in my car doing other things in the app.and it hatched on its own.

Also, why can I only see some of the screenshots people post? I can't see GulAtiCa's screenshots on this page, for example...

Prototype

In Oregon and having a hard time finding Vulpix and Ponyta, anyone else know where they are in this area? Or where they spawn in general? Any tips would welcome. Really want a Rapidash and a Ninetails

dont do what i have done i am a goddamn maniac ive bought 3 of the $99 packs and a few of the $10 and $20 packs but i always have lures incense and eggs active with every egg in a incubator

I think we all have bought those $60 console games that lasted 8 hours. pokemon go I probably play 30 hours a week

Biske

I think we all have bought those $60 console games that lasted 8 hours. pokemon go I probably play 30 hours a week

It is interesting the way we place our value.

I play pokemon go far more than any other game at this point, yet spending money on it seems like a waste. I only use my google rewards money.

Part of it though is I can earn coins through gyms.

KingBroly

Banned
It is interesting the way we place our value.

I play pokemon go far more than any other game at this point, yet spending money on it seems like a waste. I only use my google rewards money.

Part of it though is I can earn coins through gyms.

Google Rewards?

I hatched a Bulbasaur from a 2K egg, but it's not better than my 850 Ivysaur after an evolution, so I'll just focus on getting the Venusaur atm (I'm at 50 candy).

I play Pokemon Go a lot nowadays. I probably walk...7-8 miles a week just because of this game now (up from 0). I've gone to places (locally) that I've never gone before. It's kinda nuts that this game is doing this for me, honestly.

lt519

Installed the new APK, Pikachu and Clefairy being 1km per candy were nice surprises. Still seems steep for everything else, hopefully they tweak it to just be a flat 1km rate.

I spend at least $1k on gaming a year and I've never spent a penny on mobile games until now. I'll probably put $100-200 on this game when all is said and done. Between incubators and lures my wife and I have had a blast. We go out for walks when we normally wouldn't have and set up lures while we're out having a drink. Today we went on a 10k Poke-walk, as we call them, to just get out and bond. I've never spent more than $2-3 a week but it seems so justifiable to continue doing so in small doses when it coerces us into going out as opposed to sitting around and watching Netflix. It'll add up to $100-200 easy but it'll be worth it more than any game I've played this year.

We could certainly spend nothing and enjoy it, but boosting the experience is nothing to be ashamed of and does make it more fun. This game is going to make a lot of money off people like me and will for years if they support it with new generations continuously.

Ran around 5km with my buddy Jigg today and i got a total of 5 candies (and i didnt notice any +500exp like from the reddit photo). May be the GPS lagged or so. Will wait for more test from you guys :D

But overall im happy enough to get candies this way, adding more fun to my playtime. Make me want to jog more and more.

My 4th Gyarados is on the way as well, but i've learnt the lesson and will just wait for the dev to do something about the current stage of this mighty monster haha :D

So apparently the new update fixed the grimer bug. I can't confirm it since i haven't had the issue and the update isn't out here yet but good for the people who had problems with it

This would be so awesome. I'll have to have my sister test it out. She missed out on two really rare Grimers last week since her phone kept locking up =/

Mik2121

Got a question regarding how this game manages the updates. i assume updates including things like the buddy system are client-side and require an update for the app on the App Store. I have seen people from the same country say that they got it and some didn't yet. How can they do this exactly? If it was region based, I'd assume they just didn't release those patches in other regions' stores, but when the difference is local, what is up with that?

Even unrooted, the Cyanogenmod 12.1 ROM I flashed to be able to start the game to begin with doesn't pass their checks (I'm waiting for my phone to start up again so I can test a ROM I think might work, but there's no guarantee). Maybe it's for the best that they're not letting me play this game anymore, though being forced to abandon 142 caught, 2 maxed perfect Dragonites, and 10 gym daily defender bonus is going to sting.

JavyOO7

Got a question regarding how this game manages the updates. i assume updates including things like the buddy system are client-side and require an update for the app on the App Store. I have seen people from the same country say that they got it and some didn't yet. How can they do this exactly? If it was region based, I'd assume they just didn't release those patches in other regions' stores, but when the difference is local, what is up with that?

Its a slow global roll out. Some people on Reddit with Android have it and many still don't. Those playing earlier today were because they used the APK.

I'll probably just check again after I wake up. It took about a day for me to get the 'appraisal' update.

HardRojo

I was literally inside the shower getting ready to party, decided to try pokemonnearby just because and I fucking couldn't believe what I saw. 10 minutes left, got out of the shower, put on whatever I had at hand's reach and ran 10 blocks, went up and down a bridge faster than Bolt himself. There it was, waiting for me. Worst thing is my friends were expecting me because I was bringing some drinks and ice. Arrived a bit late but it was fucking worth it. Not a fan of the moveset though but whatever.

Firemind

My new evolved Pokemon:

That move set! :)

That move set... :(
Hah! Best defensive set!

(Don't know why the fuck Blastoise learns Bite and Flash Cannon instead of his signature moves Rapid Spin and Skull Bash. Probably because Niantic is too fucking lazy to do the animations.)

AdanVC

What an afternoon I had! I spent the whooooole afternoon playing this game, I meet lot's of new people because of it. Game around here hasn't died in popularity at all. I love this game because of the social aspect.

That's something I'm not sharing with people from other factions down here, they still wait for a day til trying to collect their coins :D

Savage!! hahaha but niceee though! :3

Even unrooted, the Cyanogenmod 12.1 ROM I flashed to be able to start the game to begin with doesn't pass their checks (I'm waiting for my phone to start up again so I can test a ROM I think might work, but there's no guarantee). Maybe it's for the best that they're not letting me play this game anymore, though being forced to abandon 142 caught, 2 maxed perfect Dragonites, and 10 gym daily defender bonus is going to sting.

That sucks, man :((

That sucks, man :((

It's all good, I found a ROM (Resurrection Remix, though I suspect CM13 would have also worked) that works as long as I'm not rooted. Next I'm going to root using Magisk systemless root so I can turn my root on and off without rebooting. I also have to reconfigure my phone to some semblance of what it was before (and maybe reflash the kernel I was using so I can overclock my GPU/CPU, though I'm unsure if that ever really helped more than it hurt), but it's not that bad considering I had to do that two months ago when the game came out anyway. It's a lot of work, but that's the price you pay for using a phone from 2012.

My unhealthy obsession with this game continues.

MANUELF

Banned
Im getting pretty frustrated with the game now, I have had 3 new pokemon flee from me(Charmander, Gengar and Lickytung) and this was my first time seeing them in over a month I have been playing

jts

...hate me...
I think it's lucky egg evo time and I only have one question... or three.

Would you rather evolve a 97.78% IV 74 CP Cubone or a 91.11% 561 CP one?

Would you evolve a 82.22% 837 CP Ponyta knowing it took a very long time to get the necessary candy?

Same question for a 80% 532 Dratini.

GeoGonzo

I think it's lucky egg evo time and I only have one question... or three.

Would you rather evolve a 97.78% IV 74 CP Cubone or a 91.11% 561 CP one?

Would you evolve a 82.22% 837 CP Ponyta knowing it took a very long time to get the necessary candy?

Same question for a 80% 532 Dratini.

I'm just a lvl23 but for what its worth, I'd say:

- The second one, because you should not spend dust on mediocre pokemon even if they have great IV. Also, 91% is great too.

- Again yes, more so if you don't have a Rapidash yet. 82% is fine, and neither Ponita nor Rapidash are top tier anyway.

- Tricky. 80% is good enough, but you need to evolve twice to reach the really useful pokemon (Dragonair), so maybe wait till you have 124 total candy and then evolve whatever looks best (and it could absolutely still be your current 80%).

Oxx

I got the one candy I needed to get a Charmeleon. Buddy system already worthwhile.

Next up, the 8 candy I need to get to Vileplume.

jts

...hate me...
I'm just a lvl23 but for what its worth, I'd say:

- The second one, because you should not spend dust on mediocre pokemon even if they have great IV. Also, 91% is great too.

- Again yes, more so if you don't have a Rapidash yet. 82% is fine, and neither Ponita nor Rapidash are top tier anyway.

- Tricky. 80% is good enough, but you need to evolve twice to reach the really useful pokemon (Dragonair), so maybe wait till you have 124 total candy and then evolve whatever looks best (and it could absolutely still be your current 80%).
Solid advice, thanks!

Vipu

Banned
I cant believe there is barely any talk about that root block.
This is so retarted move from Niantic.
Really? I cant play because i have rooted my phone?
Guess i will have pokemon break until there is some fix or they remove that limit.

2400 exeggutor, dragonite, tons of 1800-2300 vaporeons, 125 pokedex, 1000+gymwins, 500km+ walked, small city so it WASNT easy to get what i have but oh well.

And no im not unrooting this fullbloatware phone.

It's all good, I found a ROM (Resurrection Remix, though I suspect CM13 would have also worked) that works as long as I'm not rooted. Next I'm going to root using Magisk systemless root so I can turn my root on and off without rebooting. I also have to reconfigure my phone to some semblance of what it was before (and maybe reflash the kernel I was using so I can overclock my GPU/CPU, though I'm unsure if that ever really helped more than it hurt), but it's not that bad considering I had to do that two months ago when the game came out anyway. It's a lot of work, but that's the price you pay for using a phone from 2012.

My unhealthy obsession with this game continues.

Hehe, nice to know :D.

I got the one candy I needed to get a Charmeleon. Buddy system already worthwhile.

Next up, the 8 candy I need to get to Vileplume.

Nice :v
I only have a Charmander i hatched from egg and the current candies right now is around 10 or so. Gonna take me a long time to get a Charizard since i have never seen this family in the wild at all.

For now should just focus on easy ones first as im buddying my Jigg. Still 20km left though...

Oxx

I walked Charmander for 3k, Gloom for 3k, and Pikachu for 5.2k. Their poor, tiny legs.

I actually hatched an Oddish while walking Gloom that gave me more than enough candy to evolve it haha.

oti

Banned
Wait, I read something about the game banning Custom ROM users. I have a One Plus 3, that has CM pre-installed. Does that mean I can't play the game once I update it?

Oxx

Looks like the update changed the portrait and text boxes for appraisal. Or at least made them slightly bigger.

oti

Banned
Wait, I read something about the game banning Custom ROM users. I have a One Plus 3, that has CM pre-installed. Does that mean I can't play the game once I update it?

I downloaded the 0.37 APK and installed it, the game still works (not rooted OP3). Just to be sure I uninstalled the App and installed the Play Store version again though.

PSFan

I downloaded the 0.37 APK and installed it, the game still works (not rooted OP3). Just to be sure I uninstalled the App and installed the Play Store version again though.

Exactly why I don't want to use an apk and will wait for store update. Mr. Hanke, the Niantic poo is way too nitpicky and ban happy.

In Oregon and having a hard time finding Vulpix and Ponyta, anyone else know where they are in this area? Or where they spawn in general? Any tips would welcome. Really want a Rapidash and a Ninetails

Nope! I thought I had found a spot in West Linn for Vulpix (caught two in a row in a matter of minutes) but I haven't seen any since. I've also only caught one Ponyta.

Edit: here's a spreadsheet somebody cooked up based on nests. No Ponyta or Vulpix that they found, but it might help with other hunts!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rxKHQj2O8VslXAckkVo2HMgy-N9JfIFmWI0Z8d0-hKk/pubhtml

OMG Caterpie, Weedle, and Pidgey all sit on your character's shoulders. That's adorable.

Haunter is gigantic, I didn't realize he was like 5 foot something. lawd.

Fox Mulder

Im getting pretty frustrated with the game now, I have had 3 new pokemon flee from me(Charmander, Gengar and Lickytung) and this was my first time seeing them in over a month I have been playing

I spent a week at a beach like 700 miles from where I live, got zero new pokemon. My pokedex is at 80, so there's still a bunch.

At least I got a ton of pokeballs from all the pokestops.

Top Bottom