• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Hylian7

WTF, I was playing just fine before this update, but but now when I open the game it says my device isn't supported!

I'm on a Nexus 5X running Nougat...

zulux21

so many choices for my first buddy, currently put my gloom there.

it needs 23 candies to get to vileploom.

do I want to do clafairy instead or geodude... both of which I have a high IV one for.

I know vileploom can be useful against all the vapireons though.

8bit

Knows the Score
There's no way to play Pokemon Go on an iPhone with a Google Play account, is there?

(Like, if I were to switch from Android to iOS, I couldn't use the same account, could I?)

If you're playing with a Google account,and you sign into an iOS device with this account you will have the same save state.

HiResDes

so many choices for my first buddy, currently put my gloom there.

it needs 23 candies to get to vileploom.

do I want to do clafairy instead or geodude... both of which I have a high IV one for.

I know vileploom can be useful against all the vapireons though.
Good luck with vileplume been through two with 90 percent ivs neither receiver razor leaf nor solar beam.

adamy

Banned
Good luck with vileplume been through two with 90 percent ivs neither receiver razor leaf nor solar beam.

93% IV :)

image.png

zulux21

I am hoping for good things.

I actually have another high IV oddish in the wings if things don't work out.

just likely won't walk that one and hope I can find more oddish.

I have only managed to find like 20 of them.

Yes, can I really not play suddenly because of that?

If so they will be losing a good amount of players.

yup, but there is a work around.
and most people who have enough know how to root can figure out how to work around so it likely won't be a huge deal in the long run.

HiResDes

I think weaknesses should play a bigger part in the game, they should think about bringing back immunities to allow for a greater variety of Pokémon to shine. Also a real speed stat would also help a little. Right now Ghost Pokémon suck, all electric types except Zapdos, all ground types suck aside from Golem, all psychic aside from Eggecute suck, and all fighting types suck aside from maybe Machamp. Things that should serve as hard counters get trumped, things with HP don't have enough weakness.

zulux21

I think weaknesses should play a bigger part in the game, they should think about bringing back immunities to allow for a greater variety of Pokémon to shine. Also a real speed stat would also help a little. Right now Ghost Pokémon suck, all ground types such all psychic aside from Eggecute suck, and all fighting types suck aside from maybe Machamp. Things that should serve as hard counters get trumped, things with HP don't have enough weakness.

I don't think they need to go as far as immunities, but the weaknesses and strengths for sure need to be matched to the game at .5 and x2 instead of .8 and x1.2 as they are now.

if you wanted to do imunities I would just make it very resistant instead and have a .25 multiplier instead.

at the very least it should be balanced in a way where an equal level (not CP but level) jolteon can beat a vaporeon which isn't remotely the case right now.

for sure speed needs to be taken into account, as it also screws electric types so hard.

is there even a single good electric mon?

Nightbird

Don't forget fast Pokémon suddenly being absolutely shit since the speed Stat does nothing in the Game.

Pokemon like Alakazam, Jolteon and Raichu got royally fucked over by that.

zulux21

Don't forget fast Pokémon suddenly being absolutely shit since the speed Stat does nothing in the Game.

Pokemon like Alakazam, Jolteon and Raichu got royally fucked over by that.

to be fair a lot of the speed stuff is wonky.

I still don't get why quick attack seems to be one of the slowest attacks in the game @_@

mantidor

So I'm a bit of a newbie and I'm wondering about two things.

The first is that in the pokemon screen I have a couple that have a highlighted background, kind of blueish, what does that mean?

The second is how the accuracy works when you are catching them, if I hit them with the pokeball when the moving circle is very small, but I don't hit it at the center at all (no "great"s or "nice"s), does it still has a bonus for catching or that only applies when you hit the center?

Also why is the support for this game in app so abysmally bad? I didn't even know there was an appraisal thing until I clicked it by accident when I was transferring a bunch of zubats.

zulux21

Raichu isn't fast...

Zapdos

not actually confirmed though.

I mean by data mining it looks decent enough, but that doesn't mean they are going to give it good moves :p

or heck, ever release it :p

still don't get how we don't have weekly events yet. I mean even something as simple as "This week grass monsters are more likely to appear" and cycle by type :p

or you know near the full moon clafairy is likely to spawn, i mean they assigned it 1km per candy, they obviously don't consider it a rare pokemon.

HiResDes

So I'm a bit of a newbie and I'm wondering about two things.

The first is that in the pokemon screen I have a couple that have a highlighted background, kind of blueish, what does that mean?

The second is how the accuracy works when you are catching them, if I hit them with the pokeball when the moving circle is very small, but I don't hit it at the center at all (no "great"s or "nice"s), does it still has a bonus for catching or that only applies when you hit the center?

Also why is the support for this game in app so abysmally bad? I didn't even know there was an appraisal thing until I clicked it by accident when I was transferring a bunch of zubats.
If you don't hit within the circle then you won't get a bonus unless you throw a curveball or you've caught a certain number of the same Pokémon. The smaller the circle the bigger the bonus going from nice, then great, and excellent. It also increases your chances of grabbing them supposedly.

pringles

I don't think they need to go as far as immunities, but the weaknesses and strengths for sure need to be matched to the game at .5 and x2 instead of .8 and x1.2 as they are now.

if you wanted to do imunities I would just make it very resistant instead and have a .25 multiplier instead.

at the very least it should be balanced in a way where an equal level (not CP but level) jolteon can beat a vaporeon which isn't remotely the case right now.

for sure speed needs to be taken into account, as it also screws electric types so hard.

is there even a single good electric mon?
Considering you have your entire arsenal of pokemon at your disposal at all times I disagree that weaknesses/resistances should be increased. You have to assume that for the most part everyone will always fight with a type advantage, which is part of why attacking gyms is so easy.
Speed should be more of a factor though.

zulux21

Considering you have your entire arsenal of pokemon at your disposal at all times I disagree that weaknesses/resistances should be increased. You have to assume that for the most part everyone will always fight with a type advantage, which is part of why attacking gyms is so easy.

attacking gyms might be easy by you. sure as hell isn't here as everything is level 10 and 90% of them are 2k plus snorlax/vaporeon/lapras/Dragonite

:p

vomitself

Neo Member
Blastoise is inferior to Vaporeon, so unless Eevees are rare in your area or you just want to show off, there's not much point in powering a Blastoise or even caring about its IVs

As a pure Water guy, yes. But a Blastoise with Bite/Ice Beam is a Dragonite killer.

Biske

Attacking gyms is mainly easy cause you can just go at it again and again with your team of 6.

If you have a friend or multiple friends its even easier.

Training gyms is ludicrously hard. Its super poor game play to be battling your teams pokemon, one on one and you get to just a tiny sliver of their health and die, and get no reward or any progress. Even worse when game slowness results in you losing when you should have won (due to the game not adding up damage fast enough, or the enemies health bar no longer registering hits etc, while it slowly kills you)

Gyms are super busted and the way they function now only encourage abuse.

If at this point you aren't training gyms using the weak pokemon method, you are just wasting your time. Why spend a half hour trying to boost a gym one level, when you can go from zero to level 10 using the weak pokemon scam? They really really need to change the gyms. Has nothing to do with skill.

mantidor

The pokemon with blue background is either very small or very big, compared to the default size for the type.

I initially thought the same but I have a Dragonair whos size is nothing remarkable (at least Blanche says nothing about it and has no mark anywhere), but it has a blueish background, I don't think is that.

It does have "amazing stats", whatever that means because the game refuses to explain *anything*, so maybe is that?

HiResDes

I initially thought the same but I have a Dragonair whos size is nothing remarkable (at least Blanche says nothing about it and has no mark anywhere), but it has a blueish background, I don't think is that.

It does have "amazing stats", whatever that means because the game refuses to explain *anything*, so maybe is that?
Every Pokémon has individual stats, including attack, defense and hp which make contribute to their cp at each level. Pokémon with higher ivs have higher max cp at each level and of course their final level. I'm team Mystic but when I get a Pokémon appraised and the trainer says it's a wonder it means it's in the 80 percent or higher iv range, the next one is 65 percent or greater or so, and above average really ranges from average I think to less than 65 or something like that. When your trainer takes time to point out one of your stats it's usually close to max (15/15)

I hatched a Caterpie with a 100% IV rating, and I nicknamed it Perfect Bug. Butterfree is not that useful obviously, but I'm interested to see if it will get decent moves.

I won't be battling gyms for coins anymore. It's too time consuming to rack up large bonuses. I cashed in 50 Coins today, but I will stop after I exchange for an incubator. I'm only 60 away, so I'll definitely have it in two days. Team Mystic is trying to take over my entire town, but I won't even be battling if/when that happens.

I got Ninetales today, and I'm pleased with its Ember + Heat Wave moveset. Arcanine is still much better.

I'm still plan on getting one or two more 10km eggs, before my farewell hatching. I plan to have it all ready by Saturday.

pringles

attacking gyms might be easy by you. sure as hell isn't here as everything is level 10 and 90% of them are 2k plus snorlax/vaporeon/lapras/Dragonite

:p
More than anything that just makes it time consuming. Grass pokemon wreck much stronger vaporeons, fire mons wreck Lapras and Lapras in turn can take out Dragonites with 2x the CP. And with the way the gym battles work there's no reason you would need to fight with a bad type matchup. Snorlax is annoying but at worst you'll throw 6 pokemon at him and chip away. With how difficult and slow it is to train gyms, it would suck if they increase the weaknesses to make gyms even faster to take down.
Speed just needs some kind of tweak to matter and make electric mons viable.

zulux21

More than anything that just makes it time consuming. Grass pokemon wreck much stronger vaporeons, fire mons wreck Lapras and Lapras in turn can take out Dragonites with 2x the CP. And with the way the gym battles work there's no reason you would need to fight with a bad type matchup. Snorlax is annoying but at worst you'll throw 6 pokemon at him and chip away. With how difficult and slow it is to train gyms, it would suck if they increase the weaknesses to make gyms even faster to take down.
Speed just needs some kind of tweak to matter and make electric mons viable.

increasing the weaknesses would also greatly increase the speed that you can build up a gym :p

which is really where it would shine as it would be much easier to defeat a higher CP pokemon with a lower level if type advantage was bigger.

it would make it more enjoyable in both cases.

really with full blown weaknesses it would likely make building up even stronger because of how much easier it would be to do.

pringles

increasing the weaknesses would also greatly increase the speed that you can build up a gym :p

which is really where it would shine as it would be much easier to defeat a higher CP pokemon with a lower level if type advantage was bigger.

it would make it more enjoyable in both cases.

really with full blown weaknesses it would likely make building up even stronger because of how much easier it would be to do.
Sure but imo it doesn't need to become faster or easier to take out gyms. Especially as time goes on and more and more players have a full roster with all possible types and high CP ones. Your defenders will never have a type advantage, and they're usually outnumbered to boot. Why not instead make it so you can team up for training as well?

zulux21

Sure but imo it doesn't need to become faster or easier to take out gyms. Especially as time goes on and more and more players have a full roster with all possible types and high CP ones. Your defenders will never have a type advantage, and they're usually outnumbered to boot. Why not instead make it so you can team up for training as well?

as we have more players drop off you will just get more and more level 10 gyms that even with a group are a pain in the ass to take down.

of the 10 gyms I went by yesterday 8 of them in my area were level 10, the other 2 were level 4+ on their way to 10.

at least in my area where the population has died down it needs to be easier to take the gyms down, as well as easier to build them up.

as the sadest part is all the gyms are blue, there just isn't much I can do as a blue player. even if I get lucky and someone else takes down a gym a level, typically at the bottom is something I can't beat with a lower CP monster so I can't easily build it up to get in myself. given how horrible the formula is basically if I can do it with a lower CP mon I will, if I have to use a higher CP mon then screw it.

it's just not interesting right now. to be fair the creators even noted in the appraisal patch that the battle system needs reworked.

giving proper type advantage/disadvantage would speed things up on both sides, but help the build up side more than the take down side by a large margin given how much easier it would be to beat up stuff with lower CP pokemon.

also you can already team up to build up a gym, in the sense that you can all do it at the same time on your own :p

as for why don't they add a team up option to build it together...
because that would require completely reworking the process as the formula currently wouldn't easily support multiple people at the same time given that CP difference is involved.

thus why type advantage would be a much better fix short term, and long term the whole system should be reworked.

HiResDes

If you have a great variety of Pokémon at your gym it won't always be at a disadvantage.

MANUELF

Banned
Caught my first lickitung today and Im 94 in my pokedex with the candy to have Venusaur, Wartortle, Victreebel, Vileplume, Rhydon and Dragonair

BowieZ

Banned
Is there anything more frustrating than during a battle when your Pokemon faints (usually due to dodging not properly registering) but the game subs in a Pokemon you just switched out with almost no HP left, and it faints instantly?!

...especially when trying to conserve revives which they recently made less common.

At least after this new update the game now corrects itself more quickly when it doesn't register a dodge properly, instead of only after battle.

Azole

Neo Member
95 percent Dragonair but it's Stardust level 800 =/

Had a choice of a 600s cp 97% or 200s cp 100% IV dratini... Decided to evolve the 200s cp one BC I could always get more candies and dust. Evolved into an 800s cp dragonite... However, it had the best att moves so I'm happy.

cHinzo

Wow, would even be worth it only as a distance tracker if it works better lol. Having ur phone locked would also be really useful. I'm just gonna wait and see if it really works, before I get one. :d

Joni

I wonder how good the capture rate would be on the Plus.
Strange that it doesn't switch to Great/Ultra when you have no Pokéballs

Top Bottom