• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Vipu

Banned
So you dont even have to play anymore to play?
You just carry that thing around and press that button sometimes if it blinks.
Maybe they should have 300% increased scan range on that thing so people have to walk less too.

jts

...hate me...
So you blindly catch Pokemon then? Wearing that thing around my area, you'd probably end up with a bunch of Pidgeys and Rattattas doing it like that.
Yep, pretty much. But when it's a new type of Pokémon you will have to bust out the phone.

Nightbird

Are they changing spawns again?

while not confirmed, it seems that they are changing spawns every 20-something Days.

there was a reddit post I bookmarked for this

https://m.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/5233wu/dont_forget_not_only_is_friday_sept_16th_the/

4LAsOcH.png

Dishwalla

Banned
Yeah I've seen the rumor that the nests are changing on Friday. Was going to go to the nearby Omanyte nest today and tomorrow before it changes, need an Omastar.

Looks like Plus counts steps/distance? Evidence mounting from people who have it early on reddit.

kPQE21h.png

http://www.reddit.com/r/thesilphroad/comments/52pex3/_/

Japan's page update today. Maybe someone can translate it?

http://www.pokemongo.jp/plus/

"【2016.9.14更新】
『Pokémon GO』がバックグラウンドで動作している間も、タマゴをかえすことや、相棒のポケモンのアメをもらうために必要な、”歩いた距離”は反映されます。"

Vipu

Banned

"【2016.9.14更新】

Even while someone is running in the background, and to return the eggs, you need to get the Pokemon of candy buddy, "walking distance" is reflected.

"【2016.9.14更新】

It simply says the thing will track distance for egg and candy when the game is in the background

Hylian7

I am hoping for good things.

I actually have another high IV oddish in the wings if things don't work out.

just likely won't walk that one and hope I can find more oddish.

I have only managed to find like 20 of them.

yup, but there is a work around.
and most people who have enough know how to root can figure out how to work around so it likely won't be a huge deal in the long run.
What is said work around?

Did you play after driving or catching a bus or something?

I'm 90% positive that it's not a bug but a deliberate way to punish people who are not walking as intended.

There's no such thing like that, I play almost every day on tram/cars as passenger and my escape rate is pretty standard. I heard that Pokémons will likely flee if you ever manage to find one on an airplane/train trip, tho.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Walked with my Dratini to work, feels Goodman. I appreciate there's a bar that fills around the icon too.

So you dont even have to play anymore to play?
You just carry that thing around and press that button sometimes if it blinks.
Maybe they should have 300% increased scan range on that thing so people have to walk less too.

No, Pokémon still flee and Plus uses only pokeball (therefore the catch rate is probably not that high).

jotun?

Had a choice of a 600s cp 97% or 200s cp 100% IV dratini... Decided to evolve the 200s cp one BC I could always get more candies and dust. Evolved into an 800s cp dragonite... However, it had the best att moves so I'm happy.

yeesh, that's crazy-nuts to me

a 100% dragonite is only around 14% higher CP than a 0% one. 97% IVs is like 99.6% perfect when you look at the total stats

big waste of dust IMO

Yeesh, add Slowbro to the list of defenders that suck to train against. This one had Confusion and Ice Beam and did a number on my roster. I had nothing below its CP that could reliably defeat it. Got lucky once with Victreebell doing perfect dodges, but had to switch to Snorlax and just tank it after burning too many potions. Took way longer than I would have liked but the gym is now mine and at level 10 too!

I need a good Slowbro. All 4 of mine have water pulse and low cp :(

I now have 9 gyms, all of them level 8 or higher. I use the desktop map to scan for gyms in my area to take, it shows what team controls and the exact prestige when you scan near it. I just look for level 7+ gyms and go train them up. The only toss up is what mons are on the gym, you won't know until you get there.

My gym roster as of today:

1. Vaporeon CP 2190
Level: 10
2. Arcanine CP 2182
Level: 9
3. Exeggutor CP 2160
Level: 8
4. Vaporeon CP 2039
5. Snorlax CP 1941
Level: 8
6. Exeggutor CP 1912
7. Victreebell CP 1635
8. Gyarados CP 2086
9. Eggman CP 1945

Your success with holding gyms is all about location. If you're in a well populated area you'll have a harder time in general. The game is dying off where I am so gyms are easier to hold now. I see a lot of the same names on the top tier gyms. Instinct players will have a rougher time as well. Try and find gyms that are out of the way with little foot traffic. Forget anything inside popular parks, downtown, near populated restaurants or malls, etc. My Snorlax is in the back of a cemetary that has been untouched for 3 weeks. Surprisingly I also have 2 at the entrances of apartment complexes that have lasted 2 weeks each. I guess if you have people on your team that live there it can work in your favor.

The oddball of the bunch is Victreebell. I stopped for gas off a busy highway about 30 mins from where I live and there happened to be a gym right there. It had a slot open so I just tossed him on there thinking he'd be gone within an hour or 2. Nope, he's been there over a week and the gym was trained up to level 9!

My goal tomorrow is to take the 10th gym and see how long I can keep this train going. I've been waking up and claiming 6+ for weeks now, it's amazing. I get an incubator every couple of days and the stardust really adds up.

Hycran

Banned
Part of gym holding isn't just putting the strongest defenders in, it's also helping to facilitate training of the gym itself. Putting in guys who can be easily beaten by area Pokemon will help other guys to pop their own in. I took a gym with my wife and we put flareon and nidoking in, it went from level 2 to 8 overnight as everyone has a vape that can train against such types. Just food for thought.

Yeesh, add Slowbro to the list of defenders that suck to train against. This one had Confusion and Ice Beam and did a number on my roster. I had nothing below its CP that could reliably defeat it.

Try to catch/evolve a decent Parasect with Solar Beam (preferably with Bug bite too), Slowbro won't stand a chance (as long as you dodge confusion and ice beam/psychic).

I need a good Slowbro. All 4 of mine have water pulse and low cp :(

Hey, water pulse is still a great defensive move (especially w/ confusion).

Part of gym holding isn't just putting the strongest defenders in, it's also helping to facilitate training of the gym itself. Putting in guys who can be easily beaten by area Pokemon will help other guys to pop their own in. I took a gym with my wife and we put flareon and nidoking in, it went from level 2 to 8 overnight as everyone has a vape that can train against such types. Just food for thought.

Yeah the main goal is to make the first 2-3 easy to train against defenders, and then make pokemon 4-8 a challenge so you can hold it.

There's a gym no one touches but the employees who work near it and it's a Level 10 Mystic Gym. I take it down a few levels when I need to get rid of potions / revives. I f I saved up enough I could take it myself but it would take a couple hours.

georly

Still no word on which retailers will be carrying the go plus, other than amazon/gamestop/toys r us (in the US)?

Any word if any of them will get extras?

Set Kadabra as my buddy, find it needs 3 KM to get Candy. I thought it'd be 1 KM. Is this for all Pokemon or should I expect something extra?

ta9qi

after all these weeks i completed my target in pokemon go (new lapras from egg and the latest evolutions for starters):

QEdwhco.png

svZzMjN.png

RVPXwAF.png

sF6BW1R.png

My top pokemons :

QIcZgGl.png

8BfBqaT.png

The best thing is that:
Lapras : Blizzard
Chalizard: Fire Blast
Blastoise : Hydro Pump
Gyrados : Hydro Pumo
Dragonite : Hyper beam (i think dragon claw is better right?)

Unfortunately my Venasour: Petal Blizzard
Raichu : Brick break

im at level 27, lapras and vensaour and dragonite still need candies for powerups
raichu too but i will ignore him, even his iv is 96% :(

btw: didnt find any nest for ghastly/grimer :/ (have enough candies for hunter but not gengar)

HiResDes

a 100% dragonite is only around 14% higher CP than a 0% one. 97% IVs is like 99.6% perfect when you look at the total stats

big waste of dust IMO
If you're gonna waste stardust why not waste it on the very best non legendary Pokémon in the game.

AdanVC

Lmao guys you should have seen. I'm in a big group chat on whatsapp with like, 200 people playing Pokemon Go, reporting rare pokemon when they appear for others and all of that but yesterday, someone reported seeing a Blastoise and everyone on the group went nuts! Some of them even giving their actual accounts just so the guy near the Blastoise can capture it for them LMAO!

... I gotta admit I wanted to do the same and gave him my account but hell no, not gonna take the risk. Besides, I prefer capturing it by myself, it's way more rewarding that way.

BowieZ

Banned
If people don't want to find Pokemon in their real life without resorting to cheating and GPS spoofing, I present:

EVERY OTHER FUCKING POKEMON GAME

FFS

I hate people driving too, but one thing at a time ;-)

Mafro

It simply says the thing will track distance for egg and candy when the game is in the background
That's weird. Wonder if it was always like that and they just got it wrong, or if they changed it after all the complaints.

My one from the UK Nintendo store was dispatched the other day so I should hopefully have it by the end of the week.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Gyms are still very active daily in my city. I'm still waiting for the new tracking so I can get back into actually going out to hunt, I hope the rollout isn't like one year away.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
pretty good day walked at got the 1 last candy i needed for blastoise and got the last kabuto from a egg that i needed for kabutops so now i am at 138 pokedex

zulux21

Looks like Plus counts steps/distance? Evidence mounting from people who have it early on reddit.

kPQE21h.png

http://www.reddit.com/r/thesilphroad/comments/52pex3/_/

god I hope that is true. I walk 10-20k steps while working and would love for those to count

What is said work around?

I am not sure, I don't have a rooted phone, I just saw others posting it in here so... ahem.
*takes a deep breath*
CAN ANYONE SHARE THE WORK AROUND FOR GETTING PAST THE NEW ROOT BLOCK FOR ANDROID
*exhales*

:p

rc213

god I hope that is true. I walk 10-20k steps while working and would love for those to count

I am not sure, I don't have a rooted phone, I just saw others posting it in here so... ahem.
*takes a deep breath*
CAN ANYONE SHARE THE WORK AROUND FOR GETTING PAST THE NEW ROOT BLOCK FOR ANDROID
*exhales*

:p

Same here walk about 3-4 Miles a day in a warehouse would love it if it turns out to be true.

Azole

Neo Member

big waste of dust IMO

True but you can always get dusts... What are the chances of getting a high cp 100% dratini? Not likely; easier to get dust, Beside, all this talk about wasting dust, how many Pokemons are you expecting to use dust on? I currently have 7 pokemons all maxed out on dust (for my current level) with the exception of my Lapras and dragonite due to shortage of candies and I'm still sitting on 150k dust. Granted each level uses 60-70k dust to dust my 7 pokemons but considering how much exp are needed to level, you are already getting that much dust in return and a whole lot more.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
So basically the main use of the Plus is that you can keep your phone locked in your pocket while walking. It only throws regular balls, so the catch feature is only useful for fodder, since others will run anyway. Nintendo is supposed to send me one of these for review, hoping to get it soon.

Top Bottom