• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

BowieZ

Banned
Honestly after everything I've heard about it so far, it sounds like it should be renamed Pokemon Minus.

I'm sure someone's already made that remark, but yeah.

Flo_Evans

True but you can always get dusts... What are the chances of getting a high cp 100% dratini? Not likely; easier to get dust, Beside, all this talk about wasting dust, how many Pokemons are you expecting to use dust on? I currently have 7 pokemons all maxed out on dust (for my current level) with the exception of my Lapras and dragonite due to shortage of candies and I'm still sitting on 150k dust. Granted each level uses 60-70k dust to dust my 7 pokemons but considering how much exp are needed to level, you are already getting that much dust in return and a whole lot more.

my theory is its a ftp game... I might just stop playing tomorrow if something better comes out and dominates my phone time. Being able to take over multiple gyms has given me plenty of dust to power up my attack team, sure you may find a 'perfect' mon later but then you have 2 strong mons...

I still catch everything I see and get around 4 gyms per day so I will keep on powering up as I see fit.

I also think in the meta game of holding gyms longer there is a huge psychological element to having guys 2000cp+ even if its possible to defeat most people will move along and find a softer target.

Just caught this gal:

thats my next goal... what type of location where you at if you don't mind me asking? I have heard they are found in mountains, not many around here in the midwest.

KingBroly

Banned
I can evolve 39 Pokemon right now, but I need to wait until I can evolve an Ivysaur, a Poliwhirl and maybe a Weepinbell if I get lucky

CrazE

Banned
What does that have to do with Go Plus, though? Why does its ability to track distance make the game worse?

Not really to do with it tracking, just the fact that it's coming out and that's what's being worked on/priority.

I just want the tracker working the way it was when this game first started. That was the most fun of the game for me. Tracking down and finding the pokemon. All this other stuff is just more money making stuff... and I know, I know make money is their end game. But just seems they're going away from stuff I was hoping would get fixed.

Game needs updates to the tracker, for trading and we need to battle friends. For me that's what I was hoping to see next. This buddy thing is lame to me and the other stuff is just adding on more to what the game doesn't need at first.

But I'm in the minority I'm sure wanting that tracker fixed. That was the whole fun and point of the game for me. Take me and my little guys out and let's go track these pokemon down.

GulAtiCa

At level 26, I now have 8 Pokemon that I'm constantly trying to level up. And boy does my stardust go down down down. This can be expensive, lol.

Luckily my Draonite & Gyarados are locked away in steady top gyms, so luckily both aren't contributing to the stardust needings.

Not really to do with it tracking, just the fact that it's coming out and that's what's being worked on/priority.

I just want the tracker working the way it was when this game first started. That was the most fun of the game for me. Tracking down and finding the pokemon. All this other stuff is just more money making stuff... and I know, I know make money is their end game. But just seems they're going away from stuff I was hoping would get fixed.

Game needs updates to the tracker, for trading and we need to battle friends. For me that's what I was hoping to see next. This buddy thing is lame to me and the other stuff is just adding on more to what the game doesn't need at first.

But I'm in the minority I'm sure wanting that tracker fixed. That was the whole fun and point of the game for me. Take me and my little guys out and let's go track these pokemon down.

You do know that you are still able to track pokémon down, right?

MutFox

Banned
Does the Plus work with Android off the bat?
I remember seeing that it would only work with iOS, Android later.
This was over a month ago...

BowieZ

Banned
what type of location where you at if you don't mind me asking? I have heard they are found in mountains, not many around here in the midwest.
Nah nothing like that lol -- just at a park near a train station in the suburbs (Brisbane, AU).

It was spitting rain just before that, not sure if that had anything to do with it.

GulAtiCa

I've already ditched Gyarados, Flareon and Victreebel. RIP

Ironically those are still in my list. What made you ditch them? Though, I'm not sure if I'll be leveling Flareon any more. Once I get a good Arcaine, I might focus on that instead.

I'm still doing Gyarados, as it & Dragonite are among my only in above 2000. Obviously, super easy to take down (mine does have Dragon Breath & Hydro Pump moves though)

I like my Victreebel, another top Pokemon on my team. That and Gloom. I place them in high gyms.

Flo_Evans

Nah nothing like that lol -- just at a park near a train station in the suburbs (Brisbane, AU).

It was spitting rain just before that, not sure if that had anything to do with it.

I swear I saw a shit ton of squirtle spawn one night after a storm. I see allot more starters in general though now that I am 20+ Except charmander....

Might be confirmation bias idk. I have started trying to track down more starters to evolve.

Would be cool though if more water types spawned in rain and fire on hot days.

Firemind

Ironically those are still in my list. What made you ditch them? Though, I'm not sure if I'll be leveling Flareon any more. Once I get a good Arcaine, I might focus on that instead.

I'm still doing Gyarados, as it & Dragonite are among my only in above 2000. Obviously, super easy to take down (mine does have Dragon Breath & Hydro Pump moves though)

I like my Victreebel, another top Pokemon on my team. That and Gloom. I place them in high gyms.
Victreebel has Sludge Bomb so not really a hard water counter. I only powered it up because I needed more to put into gyms and apparently Razor Leaf / Sludge Bomb is a good defensive set.

Flareon I only use to counter grass and Lapras. Don't really need more than 1900 cp at this point to do that.

Gyarados is just the worst. Nobody gives a fuck either since they're terrible and everywhere. I might power it up so that I can nestle him at the top of a gym, but might as well use Vaporeon, Exeggutor and Slowbro for that purpose.

If people don't want to find Pokemon in their real life without resorting to cheating and GPS spoofing, I present:

EVERY OTHER FUCKING POKEMON GAME

FFS

I hate people driving too, but one thing at a time ;-)

Cheaters are killing this game for me, I'll be out, take a gym, gets taken from me, no ones there, report them to niantic, they do nothing

Tired of this shit.

I have nothing worth evolving for high CP's sake. My highest is a 1660 Vaporeon, hell like 7 of my top 10 are all Eevee evolutions. I have no idea who to pick for my pokemon buddy for the candy because those evolutions wouldn't amount to anything big anyway. Even Magikarp, my current highest is 142 and pogotoolkit puts that Gyrados at 1434-1675 CP. I'd rather save my candy for a higher Magikarp and it's the same story for like every pokemon I have

Firemind

I have nothing worth evolving for high CP's sake. My highest is a 1660 Vaporeon, hell like 7 of my top 10 are all Eevee evolutions. I have no idea who to pick for my pokemon buddy for the candy because those evolutions wouldn't amount to anything big anyway. Even Magikarp, my current highest is 142 and pogotoolkit puts that Gyrados at 1434-1675 CP. I'd rather save my candy for a higher Magikarp and it's the same story for like every pokemon I have
Exeggcute is like a top 5 CP Pokemon and cheap to evolve.

GulAtiCa

Victreebel has Sludge Bomb so not really a hard water counter. I only powered it up because I needed more to put into gyms and apparently Razor Leaf / Sludge Bomb is a good defensive set.

Flareon I only use to counter grass and Lapras. Don't really need more than 1900 cp at this point to do that.

Gyarados is just the worst. Nobody gives a fuck either since they're terrible and everywhere. I might power it up so that I can nestle him at the top of a gym, but might as well use Vaporeon, Exeggutor and Slowbro for that purpose.

My Victreebel still has Acid/Solar Beam, so does well again Water for me.

I'm still waiting on a good Exeggutor. I have enough Exeggcute candy to evolve 2 now! lol. But the highest IV I found have been a 75 & a 77, both with like less then 300 CP.. Hell, I've caugfht like 5 that were above 600.. One that ran away that was nearly 900.... The wait continues, at least I'll have a lot of candy to evolve.

My new Vaporeon is 1904 CP with Aqua Tail instead of Hydro Pump sadly. I'm in no hurry to pump in candy yet, as I get eevees everywhere, so I might get another high CP high IV with Hydropump soon.

I should consider Slowbro again. My best is a 1497 CP with 10/12/12 with the move set of Water Gun/Psychic. I evolved one recently that was 1477 with 15/13/15 with move set of Confusion/Psychic. Wish that was Water Gun instead.

Looks like Plus counts steps/distance? Evidence mounting from people who have it early on reddit.

kPQE21h.png

http://www.reddit.com/r/thesilphroad/comments/52pex3/_/

Ugh. I have over 400 Great Balls, over 100 Ultra Balls and I throw away every normal Pokeball. Would force my hand a bit, but still sucks.

Flo_Evans

I'm still waiting on a good Exeggutor. I have enough Exeggcute candy to evolve 2 now! lol. But the highest IV I found have been a 75 & a 77, both with like less then 300 CP.. Hell, I've caugfht like 5 that were above 600.. One that ran away that was nearly 900.... The wait continues, at least I'll have a lot of candy to evolve.

My new Vaporeon is 1904 CP with Aqua Tail instead of Hydro Pump sadly. I'm in no hurry to pump in candy yet, as I get eevees everywhere, so I might get another high CP high IV with Hydropump soon.

I should consider Slowbro again. My best is a 1497 CP with 10/12/12 with the move set of Water Gun/Psychic. I evolved one recently that was 1477 with 15/13/15 with move set of Confusion/Psychic. Wish that was Water Gun instead.

Vaporeon still slays with aqua tail. Mine is only 1600's and it has killed every archinine I have put it against.

Seriously I know the game is set up to make you chase that 'perfect' moves and IV combo but it doesn't matter in real world battles.

Hell as soon as a catch a few more I plan to evolve my 3rd "decent" exeggcute because even a decent one is a brickhouse of gym smashing power.

Its your game so play how you want but I hate to spend real money on these games so gyms are the only way for me to get incubators and lucky eggs.

Funny though I'm considering buying the little widget and a portable battery pack for this game lol.

It's weird that when using Blizzard offensively, it's wildly inconsistent with when it hits, yet defensively it very consistent.

Also, it's pretty frustrating that Snorlax has one weakness and one of his two normal moves is super effective against that one weakness. It's frustrating enough that Machamp isn't as good as I was hoping, and my Machamp learning Bullet Punch was unfortunate, but on top of all of that taking so much damage from a Snorlax is just a kick in the teeth.

Firemind

Confusion/Psychic or Ice Beam is Slowbro's best defensive set. Water Gun is unfortunately a terrible defending move, which works out since Slowbro is made out to be a tank. If you want an attacker, use Vaporeon. Personally, I'm never afraid to face Vaporeon since they're predictable as hell; they can only carry water moves. Slowbro is a bit more unpredictable which works in its favour. If you happen to throw somebody off guard and take a chunk of their HP (and believe me, people can be really clueless when it comes to type strengths and weaknesses), consider its job done. Every little bit helps.

Vaporeon still slays with aqua tail. Mine is only 1600's and it has killed every archinine I have put it against.

Seriously I know the game is set up to make you chase that 'perfect' moves and IV combo but it doesn't matter in real world battles.

Hell as soon as a catch a few more I plan to evolve my 3rd "decent" exeggcute because even a decent one is a brickhouse of gym smashing power.

Its your game so play how you want but I hate to spend real money on these games so gyms are the only way for me to get incubators and lucky eggs.

Funny though I'm considering buying the little widget and a portable battery pack for this game lol.
That's like saying DPS doesn't matter. Of course it matters. You might fancy taking down gyms, but personally I think it's a waste of time unless you're in a group. A gym with one Pokemon takes less than one minute to defeat. There's no point unless your plan is to take down 10 gyms in an hour to cash in immediately.

My strategy is joining gyms. I like to be a team player instead of the 'alpha' so to speak. I don't think this will change even when I'm lvl. 30+. It's just more beneficial for everyone involved to make gyms as powerful and diverse as possible. It also sends a signal to the other factions that you guys are working together. If they want to take it down, then it's going to take some effort.

I think this way is more fun in the long run than battling random gyms to cash in. You'll burn out eventually. For me, it's all about taking over my home town. There's something satisfying to see your block painted with yellow gyms. The stardust and coins are a bonus.

Hatched a Porygon today and my buddy Jigg also gathered enough candies for her evolution. Lastly, reached 100 in my dex :3
Today was a good day.

Love this game <3

Though i have a feeling i dont really want to power up Pokemon that much anymore. There're not a lot of gyms around and they tend to be claimed real quick anyway so i just try to get 1 and be done for a day haha.
Will save dust for anything good or 100% iv Poke if i can find them.

I find fun in hatching and buddying lately :D

Honestly after everything I've heard about it so far, it sounds like it should be renamed Pokemon Minus.

I'm sure someone's already made that remark, but yeah.

Why is Pokémon Go GAF so woefully uneducated compared to Pokémon Go Reddit? It's been known since early this morning that the Go Plus tracks your distance both while locked and while running in the background, yet people here are still complaining that it doesn't.

EDIT: Quoted wrong post.

That's weird. Wonder if it was always like that and they just got it wrong, or if they changed it after all the complaints.

My one from the UK Nintendo store was dispatched the other day so I should hopefully have it by the end of the week.

I believe back then the page said stuff like this couldnt work with the game being on background. Then, thing changed and they updated.

May be they initially planned so the game needs to be on but that hurted the Plus sale so much they had to work around?

Either way its a good news since people will actually buy this product now due to its convenience haha :D

Why is Pokémon Go GAF so woefully uneducated compared to Pokémon Go Reddit? It's been known since early this morning that the Go Plus tracks your distance both while locked and while running in the background, yet people here are still complaining that it doesn't.

The comment you were replying to was complaining about not being able to use great/ultra balls with the Go Plus? Seems like most people are aware of that Silph Road post now.

Awayze

Neo Member
Why the need for Poke+?
Couldn't they make an app for a smart watch or make the app do the same thing whilst the phones locked, if Google maps and pedometer/fitness GPS apps work then why can't PoGo.

rc213

Nice day today

Hatched a 80% Grimer 707cp
Evolved a Eevee into a 87% Flareon 1702cp Ember/Fire Blast
And finally got a 82% Jolteon 1147cp Thunder Shock/Thunder

Woooooooooo!

BowieZ

Banned
Anyone tried switching out a buddy then switching it back and seeing if your running total continues or resets?

I'd do it but I don't want it to reset lol

Chaos17

Looks like Plus counts steps/distance? Evidence mounting from people who have it early on reddit.

kPQE21h.png

http://www.reddit.com/r/thesilphroad/comments/52pex3/_/

I know what I will buy for christmas *_*

Why the need for Poke+?
Couldn't they make an app for a smart watch or make the app do the same thing whilst the phones locked, if Google maps and pedometer/fitness GPS apps work then why can't PoGo.
Do you understand that those watches are way more expensive than this ?

Um, why did you Quote my post to say that? I knew everything you just said. lol.

GulAtiCa

Well.. that sucks.. just went for like a 40 minute bike ride for a total of 5 miles most likely. But the game barely registered 3 km. :(

I don't think I was going that fast. Though 1st time biking with Pokemon GO, so maybe I was. Damn

Yeah I read something on reddit saying that the distance tracking is more accurate as the content that measures it refreshes more often. I was utterly disappointed when I walked at LEAST 5 or so KM this morning and I was just getting a bit over 1km...

Also, I turned on my game for one of the first times in a month last night, and Ninetails spawned right on my house. Also, this morning a Charizard was in the area. Is it true that they made rare spawns more common? I've never gotten that kind of luck before, especially right in my area.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Anyone having performance issues with the latest version in an original iPhone 5 or 5C? I thought at first that some graphical glitches and frame rate drops were due iOS10 but I downgraded my phone, but now even on 9.3.5 I can see now some moderate issues in-game (map takes a while to load and some glitches while battling)

Part of gym holding isn't just putting the strongest defenders in, it's also helping to facilitate training of the gym itself. Putting in guys who can be easily beaten by area Pokemon will help other guys to pop their own in. I took a gym with my wife and we put flareon and nidoking in, it went from level 2 to 8 overnight as everyone has a vape that can train against such types. Just food for thought.

Definitely good advice. I've done this myself where I will take over an easy gym and will put a Flareon or my crappy Arcanine with bulldoze on it so people can train off it. It's turned into a few high level gyms, but sometimes people will just drop a snorlax or something on the bottom rung and ruin the whole thing.

Try to catch/evolve a decent Parasect with Solar Beam (preferably with Bug bite too), Slowbro won't stand a chance (as long as you dodge confusion and ice beam/psychic).

Hey, water pulse is still a great defensive move (especially w/ confusion).

Nice tip, I do have a Parasect with Solar Beam, never really considered him before. Sadly all my Slowbros have Water gun too. I'm waiting for an 80+ Slowpoke to try again.

Flo_Evans

Confusion/Psychic or Ice Beam is Slowbro's best defensive set. Water Gun is unfortunately a terrible defending move, which works out since Slowbro is made out to be a tank. If you want an attacker, use Vaporeon. Personally, I'm never afraid to face Vaporeon since they're predictable as hell; they can only carry water moves. Slowbro is a bit more unpredictable which works in its favour. If you happen to throw somebody off guard and take a chunk of their HP (and believe me, people can be really clueless when it comes to type strengths and weaknesses), consider its job done. Every little bit helps.

That's like saying DPS doesn't matter. Of course it matters. You might fancy taking down gyms, but personally I think it's a waste of time unless you're in a group. A gym with one Pokemon takes less than one minute to defeat. There's no point unless your plan is to take down 10 gyms in an hour to cash in immediately.

My strategy is joining gyms. I like to be a team player instead of the 'alpha' so to speak. I don't think this will change even when I'm lvl. 30+. It's just more beneficial for everyone involved to make gyms as powerful and diverse as possible. It also sends a signal to the other factions that you guys are working together. If they want to take it down, then it's going to take some effort.

I think this way is more fun in the long run than battling random gyms to cash in. You'll burn out eventually. For me, it's all about taking over my home town. There's something satisfying to see your block painted with yellow gyms. The stardust and coins are a bonus.

But my block is already painted yellow... I need to get stronger to kick those fools out.

Of course DPS matters, otherwise I wouldn't be powering up my guys as I go. I started a month late and was struggling.

And yes I would prefer to hold a gym for long periods but that's just not possible in some gyms. I do have a slowbro that's going on a week in one and he is "not great in battle" he has confusion and ice beam. I feed him a few candies and some dust when I got him to max out his limited potential and he has served me well. At the time he was my most powerful mon and the only one with an ice attack. I will probably not dump more dust into him (if he ever comes back) because I have much stronger Pokémon now.

My play so far has been to swing by the known valor gyms around my place, take them back over if they flipped, place a strong defender. If they have no open slots, train till a slot opens, put in low level and train another slot. Then I get on the highway and go to work, at lunch I hit up the high traffic gyms. It doesn't really matter what you put there cause it's going down. I can't always pop out and train it back up before someone takes it.

I just don't see the point of not evolving something at 75% when IV is the smallest difference, or not buffing your strongest guys at the time to your level.

Sure, in a hypothetical scenario my slowbro would lose a 1 on 1 fight in pvp vs a perfect slowbro, but who knows if that is ever going to happen.

I'm my humble experience traffic and "home" teams make more a difference in holding gyms than perfect mons. I actually chatted with one of the instinct players at the church on the corner, all the kids are team instinct and they are there all the time. I don't have high hopes for flipping and holding it no matter what dream team I can assemble to put in.

Side note I do wish we could see more info on defenders, how many fights, w/l ratio, hell I would be happy with the gym name they are at cause sometimes I forget.

HardRojo

The 0.37 update made it impossible to play the game on my other phone, which I don't use anymore. It is a Galaxy S4 i-9500, I reset it back to factory settings and everything and I'm still getting the new "This device, OS or software is not compatible with Pokémon Go" message. 0.36 works just fine and my phone isn't rooted so I don't know what's going on here. It's running 4.4.2, which shouldn't be a problem either.

fritolay

The 0.37 update made it impossible to play the game on my other phone, which I don't use anymore. It is a Galaxy S4 i-9500, I reset it back to factory settings and everything and I'm still getting the new "This device, OS or software is not compatible with Pokémon Go" message. 0.36 works just fine and my phone isn't rooted so I don't know what's going on here. It's running 4.4.2, which shouldn't be a problem either.

Does it say that in the Play store, or the actual apk says this? I have Note 2, and the Store said wasn't compatible. Downloaed apk from mirror and works fine.

Side note I do wish we could see more info on defenders, how many fights, w/l ratio, hell I would be happy with the gym name they are at cause sometimes I forget.

I would love this! I started a spreadsheet on my laptop earlier this week because I started to forget who was on which gym. I actually had to drive by 2 of them to verify.

HardRojo

Does it say that in the Play store, or the actual apk says this? I have Note 2, and the Store said wasn't compatible. Downloaed apk from mirror and works fine.

Nope, Play store description doesn't say anything about my device not being compatible, it's only inside the app after I try logging in. Will try with the APK and see if it works with it, if not then I don't know what could be going wrong.

tauke

Since you don't mind resetting the phone, try to look for a file named SU and rename/delete it.

Look for them in both /system/bin and /system/xbin using the file manager in Revovery mode after a full factory reset.

After that install PokeGo from Play Store and see if you can login.

It works on my phone and just in case it doesn't work, look for CyanongenMod 13 ROM for your Galaxy S4 and repeat the steps above.

Memles

Doubt this is how the Buddy System actually works, but it was nice to be 2km into getting my first Vulpix candy and discover a wild Vulpix—meant I only needed two for Ninetales, which is set to go next time I've got some evolves collected.

Got some luck with my fifth Gyarados and got Bite/Hydro Pump, which means I now have a better attacker for general situations—my Bite/Pulse and Breath/Twister are solid against Dragonite, but ultimately nice to have one that might come into a more regular rotation. I'd say I was going to stop evolving them, but Magikarp are easy Stardust/Great Throws, and so it makes sense to keep catching them.

Had one Dratini run away from me today, but caught two others shortly after, and a (sadly low CP) Dragonair before that. Now over halfway to Dragonite 2, with a 71% (15/11/6) 631 and an 87% (15/9/15) 520 Dratini ready to go when we get there. I'll have to see if Dratini spawns remain decently common when I get there.

Heading to Austin for the weekend, curious to experience another city's Pokedemography.

Top Bottom