• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

So guys Im about 50k EXP away from level 25, time for a lucky egg and some massevolving I guess. What do you think how many Pokemon can I evolve within half an hour? Currently I got around 40 to evolve (no new ones) you think 40 is doable?

It would be nice if they could let you flag Pokémon you'd rather be notified of to catch in-game instead of having the Go+ chuck a single Poké Ball. Like, maybe put a checkbox on each PokéDex entry screen, and if a checked Pokémon pops up the Go+ gives a special "hey check your game!" flash.

Joni

Ok, so maybe I can take it up to 50. Any tips concerning mass evolving? First time doing it. I favorited the ones I want to evolve, and once evolution is through I will "defavorize" and will the next one in line, correct?
Yes. That is how I do it. But really try to get 60-70 Pokémon lined up. Even if you can't do all 70, you're sure you are using all the time you have.

Firemind

It would be nice if they could let you flag Pokémon you'd rather be notified of to catch in-game instead of having the Go+ chuck a single Poké Ball. Like, maybe put a checkbox on each PokéDex entry screen, and if a checked Pokémon pops up the Go+ gives a special "hey check your game!" flash.
It flashes yellow if it's a new pokedex entry, which works out for me since I still don't have Dragonite or Snorlax. But yeah, some kind of flagging system would be great.

Oxx

I mass-evolved a bunch of Pidgeys and Weedles yesterday. Felt good. Also therapeutic when you transfer all the Pidgeottos afterwards.

With a bunch of egg catches and other new monster evolutions I think I got almost 80k xp.

Chuckie

Any guides how to prep for Gen 2, what to save?

Only ones I know off (which could potentially be used) are Zubats, Slowpokes, Eevees, Scythers for a next evolution. Then there is Oddish which has a Gen 2 alternate evolution and then there are a couple of 'baby' pokemon like Pichu, Cleffa and Igglybuff... but I have no idea if it is possible to 'de-evolve' your Pokemon

(Above list is probably not complete and correct at all considering I am doing this from the top of my head)

WPS

Any guides how to prep for Gen 2, what to save?

Golbat -> Crobat
Gloom -> Bellossom
Poliwhirl -> Politoed
Slowpoke -> Slowbro
Onix -> Steelix
Chansey -> Blissey
Seadra -> Kingdra
Scyther -> Scizor
Eevee -> Espeon, Umbreon
Porygon -> Porygon 2

I half suspect if gen 2 turns up, you'll need new types of candies to evolve into the new evolutions.

Chuckie

I'm gonna do a mass evolve today. Is it Rainer, Pyro and Sparky for Volteon, Flameon and Jolteon?

Vaporeon and Flareon, but yeah those are the names. I have heard you have to turn off the game after renaming for the server to pick up the new names and have the trick work.

Not sure if that is true, but better safe then sorry.

Pachimari

Vaporeon and Flareon, but yeah those are the names. I have heard you have to turn off the game after renaming for the server to pick up the new names and have the trick work.

Not sure if that is true, but better safe then sorry.
Nah never heard of this. I think that was just a bug, so you could evolve your Eevee's into the ones you wanted even after the first time.

Yeah I meant to say Vaporeon but phone dictionary is stupid lol.

Chuckie

Nah never heard of this. I think that was just a bug, so you could evolve your Eevee's into the ones you wanted even after the first time.

Yeah I meant to say Vaporeon but phone dictionary is stupid lol.

Well better safe then sorry. I have heard stories of people who tried to evolve there Evee in a Vaporeon for the first time, used the name Rainer and still got a Jolteon. So when you do it, just restart the game after you re-named Eevee and then do the evolution.

Pachimari

Well better safe then sorry. I have heard stories of people who tried to evolve there Evee in a Vaporeon for the first time, used the name Rainer and still got a Jolteon. So when you do it, just restart the game after you re-named Eevee and then do the evolution.
I'm not even sure I'll have enough time to restart when going a mass evolve with a lucky egg. I'll try.

Chuckie

I'm not even sure I'll have enough time to restart when going a mass evolve with a lucky egg. I'll try.

You can re-name them first, then restart right? Way before the mass evolution.

So re-name all your Eevees, restart your game, use lucky egg, start mass evolution.

Vipu

Banned
Renaming works only once each of those 3, so you better save that trick until you find 100% eevee and make it vaporeon.

Chopper

It flashes yellow if it's a new pokedex entry, which works out for me since I still don't have Dragonite or Snorlax. But yeah, some kind of flagging system would be great.
I did not know that. That's pretty handy actually.

But the notifications on your phone should really tell you what you've encountered, rather than just saying "a pokemon".

BowieZ

Banned
Golbat -> Crobat
Gloom -> Bellossom
Poliwhirl -> Politoed
Slowpoke -> Slowbro
Onix -> Steelix
Chansey -> Blissey
Seadra -> Kingdra
Scyther -> Scizor
Eevee -> Espeon, Umbreon
Porygon -> Porygon 2

I half suspect if gen 2 turns up, you'll need new types of candies to evolve into the new evolutions.
On this note, who started the rumor gen 2 would be out in December? Ugh.

The CEO of Niantic said this week "Gen 2 might make it to special events" wtf

Chuckie

Shouldn't they finish Gen 1 first though haha.

Speaking of...I cannot even find 1 Chansey...how the fuck would I ever get a Blissey.

Firemind

I did not know that. That's pretty handy actually.

But the notifications on your phone should really tell you what you've encountered, rather than just saying "a pokemon".
Also I'm pretty sure you get exp for every fleeing Pokemon with Go+. I think it's 25 exp but not completely sure.

Still no stardust tho

Mik2121

Make it to special events... this year, maybe? I would be surprised if they didn't include Gen 2 sometime down the line, followed by 3, 4, etc... Maybe half a year each? That would still be pretty damn long. Half a year would still be like 3-4 months from now, more than enough to catch most pokemon if you ever had the chance to begin with :p

BTW, did the spawns change like some people suggested would happen today?

1 Relaxo
1 Elektek
Had to google the second one, the first one I could guess. So funny/interesting seeing the Pokemon names from countries that don't use the English or Japanese ones :p

Make it to special events... this year, maybe? I would be surprised if they didn't include Gen 2 sometime down the line, followed by 3, 4, etc... Maybe half a year each? That would still be pretty damn long. Half a year would still be like 3-4 months from now, more than enough to catch most pokemon if you ever had the chance to begin with :p

BTW, did the spawns change like some people suggested would happen today?

Had to google the second one, the first one I could guess. So funny/interesting seeing the Pokemon names from countries that don't use the English or Japanese ones :p

Isnt Relaxo the english name? Usually I type (german name) after the name, due to the differences all over the world :) Now think about how many different names we got all over Europe? :p

Oh and by the way

here is my list with only german names:

3x Evoli
1x Onix
1x Chaneira
1x Relaxo
1x Porygon
1x Pantimos
1x Elektek

:p

Chuckie

Isnt Relaxo the english name? Usually I type (german name) after the name, due to the differences all over the world :) Now think about how many different names we got all over Europe? :p

Oh and by the way

here is my list with only german names:

3x Evoli
1x Onix
1x Chaneira
1x Relaxo
1x Porygon
1x Pantimos
1x Elektek

:p

Is Relaxo Snorlax? And Elektek Ektrabuzz?

In the Netherlands we only use the English names.

georly

Any update on which retailers will be carrying this darn thing? I went to a toys r us yesterday and no one working there had any clue what a pokemon go plus is.

The gamestop near me will have 6 extras, so I'm gonna camp out in about an hour, but god knows if they *actually* have 6 extras - i've been to gamestops where they 'saved some' for friends.

Mik2121

It's Snorlax in English! Also in Spain we use the English names. I think the only countries with unique names are France, Italy (some) and Germany? Besides Japan and the English names that all the other countries use!
I only know the names in English and some in Japanese (since I live here and my coworkers always just say the Japanese names, I'm slowly memorizing them...)

Ok, so maybe I can take it up to 50. Any tips concerning mass evolving? First time doing it. I favorited the ones I want to evolve, and once evolution is through I will "defavorize" and will the next one in line, correct?

start an external timer somewhere. I always waste precious seconds exiting to the main map to see how much time I have left. also do the math on your scrubs. I went in without counting once and fell terribly short of 60. I wasted so much time transferring pokemon in a panic to get more candy

start an external timer somewhere. I always waste precious seconds exiting to the main map to see how much time I have left. also do the math on your scrubs. I went in without counting once and fell terribly short of 60. I wasted so much time transferring pokemon in a panic to get more candy

Concerning maths... do I count 11 or 12 for pidgey? Cause I will get one candy back for evolving right?

JavyOO7

On gamestop's website when looking for a go plus it actually lets you place a hold on the go plus. I placed it to the gamestop near my place of work, so hopefully its not bullshit and I can get one for myself during my break...

I even get an e-mail confirmation that I can go pick it up and that I have to show it to them when I get to the store. We'll see...

Concerning maths... do I count 11 or 12 for pidgey? Cause I will get one candy back for evolving right?

Yes, evolving gives you 1 candy. The way I do it is that for every 12 pidgey evolves, I add an extra. So let's say I have 288 candies (24 evolves), I will actually have enough for 26 evolves total. Don't waste time transferring, just evolve and hit the check mark and quickly move to the next one. Transfer all those grinders when you're done. Marking all your evolves as favorites is also a great move. All the higher CP mons that you would want to prioritize will be first in line with the grinders last. Magikarp may get buried, so keep an eye on the clock and scroll down to him if needed.

Using an external timer is also a great tip. I just pull one up on my laptop. When I mass evolve, I do it at home, on wi-fi, and I do a full reboot of my phone beforehand. Also plugged into the charger if battery is less than 50%. You want to minimize any time wasted. My max has been 67, but I've always had new pokedex entries to add. I could probably squeeze out 70 otherwise.

GulAtiCa

There was a Snorlax on my way home yesterday, but I couldn't get it. Was behind a locked community. :(

This morning, had a lot of extra time, so went walking around near my work next to bunch of pokestops. Caught another Licktung and a Squirtle.

how is that a problem?
that is simple, the game doesn't distinguish two different spawns on the current tracker.

I know that, and I still can't see how that would be a problem: as long as the pikachu stays in the sightings list, you know that you are 35-200m away from the monster and you still have more chance to find it even if you can't triangulate.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The amount of time I sometimes waste for a measly 10 coins lol. There's no way I can stay in more than one gym long enough in my city, so I always have to cash out as soon as possible.

Love doing it though.

HardRojo

I want to pop an egg and mass evolve to get to level 25 today, but I'm 2 candies away from a Slowbro and 3 candies away from a Golduck. I wish I could get both today, I got like 8 new evolutions that'd take me to 115 caught and seen.

Just hit 200km total walked. Goal is 300km by November.
I started just ignoring catching pokemon. I turn the app on and put it upside down in my back pocket. When I'm short on eggs, I'll raid some pokestops.

Flo_Evans

I mass-evolved a bunch of Pidgeys and Weedles yesterday. Felt good. Also therapeutic when you transfer all the Pidgeottos afterwards.

With a bunch of egg catches and other new monster evolutions I think I got almost 80k xp.

I'm planning on saving all my pidgeottos... going to throw them at some gyms before I transfer them and save some revives/potions.

raticate with hyperbeam makes a pretty good grenade too.

Might as well give them one last glorious battle before grinding them into candy.

For people who have 1800+ CP pokemon, were they at that point when you first evolved them or did you pump candy into them? I'm close to Gyrados but pogotoolkit predicts he'll be in the 1700 range, I want 1800+

cHinzo

^I pumped dust into it, but I'm only level 22 and leveling goes really slowly. Would rather have some strong Pokemons to put in the gyms.

So what are my chances of finding a Go Plus out in the wild today? I'm about to head out for some shopping.

tfw didn't manage to get a preorder in early.

Top Bottom