• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Finally have both Nidoking and Nidoqueen.

My Nidoking got poison jab and sludge wave and Nidoqueen got poison jab and earthquake.
Are these movesets ideal?

Been a pretty good day for Wild catches so far!

First ever Wild Eggecutor I've seen.
Ec8dcSL.jpg

and another Lapras.

No Go+ for me today, have one ordered from amazon but still hasn't changed from "We'll let you know when we have more info" =/

So does the Go+ actually have its own GPS or anything? Or are they essentially just charging $35 to unlock a "run in background" feature that could technically work without it?

If the latter, I'd be happy to see someone write an app that just emulates it.

Wakey for Android pretty much does that.

Gaspard

Was strolling through the mall this afternoon and GameStop had a bunch of GO+ on the pokemon accessories rack with the plushes and trading cards.

MisterHero

What's better? Dig which is 3 x70 or Hyper Beam? Can't test moves; I'm barely 1000 and all the gyms around me are breaking 2500.

MisterHero

The post directly above you answers your question...
It sounds right, but wouldn't at least 2 moves at 70 be charged faster than 'beam?

*i'm assuming that 'beam is anywhere from 100-200, i havent seen it myself

The mon i'm discussing is Raticte, which wouldn't do well against later game mons anyways, just an example.

Finally have both Nidoking and Nidoqueen.

My Nidoking got poison jab and sludge wave and Nidoqueen got poison jab and earthquake.
Are these movesets ideal?

On paper, no for Nidoking, yes for Nidoqueen. Poison Jab/EQ is the "best", highest DPS moveset for both, attacking or defending.

In practice (for attacking), you pick your battles, so unless your options are limited or the damage difference between two moves is higher than 25%, you want your attack moves to both be of the same type. Poison Jab/Sludge Wave is better against targets weak to Poison. There aren't that many, but Poison Jab/EQ isn't that much more useful unless you have no other pokemon to defeat the Ground-weak pokemon you need to deal with.

All that being said, no permutation of Nidoking/queen moves are particularly useful right now due to the current game balance, and by the time that changes, a whole lot of other things can change as well.

I ordered it off Amazon and supposedly it's coming sunday... sure

I bought it really because of the bebefit kf being able to play while driving. living in LA I'm in my car so much...imagine all the pokestops I can hit :p

c-murph

I got my Pokemon Go + today from ebgames.ca... Thing is I thought I cancelled it and I can't find where I was charged for it on my CC. I preorder it on June 15th apparently...

Went for a jog with it. Manage to get 8 Magikarp candies (392 to go). Oh man, the feel to just press the vibrating button and not have to stop to check my phone is wonderful. Works for Pokestops and the game still keeps track of your travel distance too.

Also, the ability to put the app in the background while Pokemon Go + is running is Glorious. I think it's my new favorite jogging device now. lol

Oh, I'm using Moto G 3rd Gen on Android.

Is anyone finding that you have to be a lot closer to Pokéstops for the Go Plus to register them? With just my phone I can be right on the edge of the circle, but with the Plus it won't notify me until I'm almost right on top of it.

Got 2 of the Go Plus, before they sold out.

Perfect for my drives home. Caught 5-6 pokemon during the drive, and the app didn't even need to be in focus.

Gonna be worth the cost over time.

Got my 2nd 100% Pokemon today and it's Weedle :v

But i love Beedrill and he can (hopefully) one day become a reliable Mega Beedrill so im ok with that.

Dont want to evolve him though as im scared i'll land Aerial Ace lol

c-murph

Is anyone finding that you have to be a lot closer to Pokéstops for the Go Plus to register them? With just my phone I can be right on the edge of the circle, but with the Plus it won't notify me until I'm almost right on top of it.

Yeah, you definitely have to be right next to pokestops using the device.

Got my 2nd 100% Pokemon today and it's Weedle :v

But i love Beedrill and he can (hopefully) one day become a reliable Mega Beedrill so im ok with that.

Dont want to evolve him though as im scared i'll land Aerial Ace lol

If he does, you can join me and others in hopes that someday they'll let us spend a bunch of candies to reroll moves.

Dyne

Shipped from Amazon and bought my friend's extra one for my wife (how he didn't decide to flip it for $200+, I'll never know!)

It is so incredibly comfortable to not hold my phone out at all times

As a bonus, I get the full notifications on my Microsoft Band 2 for extra hands-free points, if those exist.

Joqu

Are my eggs broken or am I just unlucky? Haven't seen a 2km egg in weeks, just 5s. And I've only had a single 10km egg at level 22. :s

Dyne

Are my eggs broken or am I just unlucky? Haven't seen a 2km egg in weeks, just 5s. And I've only had a single 10km egg at level 22. :s

2's are rarer than me than 10's, as a level 24

I think there is a certain weight to items picked up. For a while there it was impossible to get potions, then it was impossible to get revives.

Man I love that the initial hype has finally died down in my area. 3 times a weeks I go all over my area in my city and take over gyms after midnight. Formed a dedicated squad to do it too, always on the look out for more members though. I tell you organising your team is far more effective that just hoping a strong team member will take out that one gym so you can put something in it.
Cos most players are sleeping, there really isnt much counterattack, our record is owning 7 gyms now, not bad considering there are 8 gyms in the vicinity without having to venture too far.
Keeping a pure-bred A team helps too, with pure B team and semi-pure C team on backup.

Having spent the day with the Go Plus, I definitely don't regret the purchase. It's not for everyone and most (if not all) of the complaints I've seen are completely valid.

It's shockingly ugly and feels exactly like what you'd expect a $35 toy to feel like, but I almost never wear t-shirts at this point and it tucks itself away nicely under most of my wardrobe. It's not really thick enough to have a noticeable silhouette either (if it seems like I've overthought this it's because I have; I put an unreasonable amount of time into my personal appearance and shallowly would never wear this if it was noticeable).

Continuing with the negatives, for the first half of today it disconnected constantly. With startling consistency, it would start angrily buzzing at me whilst flashing red, and a few moments later a notification popped up on my phone informing me that my Pokemon Go Plus session had ended, and I could launch the app from the notification. I'm not even sure if this a feature or a problem at this point, because while I personally don't think there's any reason for the device to ever disconnect on it's own, the notification was decided cheery about how it notified me of this. The wording really implies that the session ended just as I should have expected, and I can launch the app to continue at my leisure. It's far from a "LOST CONNECTION TO POKEMON GO PLUS DEVICE" sort of message.

On a positive note, it turns Pokemon Go into exactly what I wanted: an almost stupidly passive game that I can occasionally check in with to battle, check out your new Pokemon and fiddle about with other cosmetic stuff. I had completely stopped playing because while I walk often to commute to my university and workplace, I usually have my phone out to read homework/GAF/other internet stuff, and (at the risk of stating something everyone reading this already knows), Pokemon Go inexplicably demands to be running in the foreground. This quickly became a trade I wasn't willing to make, so I gave up. I've been working on hatching several 2k eggs and a 10k egg for the past month and made almost zero progress until today.

At least for how I personally want to interact with Pokemon Go, the Plus is perfect. It sits discreetly on my wrist, and whenever it starts buzzing I tap it regardless of the notification. The catch rate isn't great, but it's decent enough to merit the split second it takes me to tap my wrist. At the end of today, I filled up my bag, hatched three of my eggs, and caught a stack of common Pokemon as well as some stuff I actually hadn't even discovered yet. In all honesty it's really strange and off-putting that Niantic have chose to lock this functionality behind a $35 chunk of plastic, given that the game should be able to do a lot of this while closed with no device at all, but I'm ok with it for now.

If I'm brutally real the mechanics were already so barebones that reducing it to a button click is, if anything, more rewarding than the skeeball experience in the app.

So I made psyduck my buddy for the last 2 candy I needed for golduck. But 2 of my eggs hatched and both were psyduck, so is it possible that the buddy you walk with gives you a better chance to hatch them as well?

You want Earthquake always pretty much. This is my favorite resource for the moves - http://heavy.com/games/2016/07/poke...h-type-species-ranking-dps-damage-per-second/

On paper, no for Nidoking, yes for Nidoqueen. Poison Jab/EQ is the "best", highest DPS moveset for both, attacking or defending.

In practice (for attacking), you pick your battles, so unless your options are limited or the damage difference between two moves is higher than 25%, you want your attack moves to both be of the same type. Poison Jab/Sludge Wave is better against targets weak to Poison. There aren't that many, but Poison Jab/EQ isn't that much more useful unless you have no other pokemon to defeat the Ground-weak pokemon you need to deal with.

All that being said, no permutation of Nidoking/queen moves are particularly useful right now due to the current game balance, and by the time that changes, a whole lot of other things can change as well.

At least Nidoqueen got the ideal moveset. Thank you both.

zulux21

So I made psyduck my buddy for the last 2 candy I needed for golduck. But 2 of my eggs hatched and both were psyduck, so is it possible that the buddy you walk with gives you a better chance to hatch them as well?

idk, I did hatch 3 5km eggs yesterday and one was an oddish, I was walking a gloom at the time.

Memles

Popped a lucky egg for the hatching of 8 5km eggs, and some evolves, and then saw there was a Grimer nearby, which would only be the third I've seen. Of course, the eggs started hatching right as I got there, so I wondered if it might despawn while I was going through the animations.

They paused for a second, long enough to catch the Grimer, but when I caught it I noticed there was about 15 more candies than there should be. And then my remaining eggs hatched, and there was a Grimer. So, unexpectedly quickly, halfway to Muk.

Also had a Porygon in the batch, which is nice—with that any my Ninetales evolve (the first aided by the buddy system), Pokedex sits at 134.

Onaco

My girlfriend's iPhone 6S will not connect to her Plus or mine. She tried updating Go, updating to iOS 10, and reinstalling the application. Both of the pluses work on my Galaxy S6 without any issues.

GulAtiCa

My girlfriend's iPhone 6S will not connect to her Plus or mine. She tried updating Go, updating to iOS 10, and reinstalling the application. Both of the pluses work on my Galaxy S6 without any issues.
Have her turn Bluetooth settings to off and then on. That might help. Did for me.

Man I love that the initial hype has finally died down in my area. 3 times a weeks I go all over my area in my city and take over gyms after midnight. Formed a dedicated squad to do it too, always on the look out for more members though. I tell you organising your team is far more effective that just hoping a strong team member will take out that one gym so you can put something in it.
Cos most players are sleeping, there really isnt much counterattack, our record is owning 7 gyms now, not bad considering there are 8 gyms in the vicinity without having to venture too far.
Keeping a pure-bred A team helps too, with pure B team and semi-pure C team on backup.

I miss it. I miss not feeling weird about circling the same few blocks for hours at a time. Obviously I shouldn't care about that, but I can't help it.

rc213

How do you get him on your shoulder?

Had a weird day, A bunch of pokestops were having Pokemon meetings today. About 6 out of 20 i pass on my commute to work hard several Pokemon just hanging out. Finally got an amazing Pokemon to show for me on the wild 1805cp Arcanine Fire Fang/Fireblast 76% IV.

Top Bottom