• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

GeoGonzo

Hm, Pogo is already behind Clash Royale in the "top grossing" ranking of the (spanish) App store and has fallen to 27th place in the "free" ranking. How is it holding up in other regions?

GulAtiCa

On Android for the US market: #2 on Top Free Games (behind something called Animation Throwdown)

I don't seem to see a Top Grossing chart on my phone, so no info there.

jts

...hate me...
Hm, Pogo is already behind Clash Royale in the "top grossing" ranking of the (spanish) App store and has fallen to 27th place in the "free" ranking. How is it holding up in other regions?
#46 in the top free ranking but still #1 in top grossing. Portugal.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
#39 free ranking, #3 top grossing (Spotify is #1 and Clash Royale is #2). iOS, Brazil.

Vipu

Banned
Then you realize you just spent 2 hours and probably over $2 in gas to earn less than $1.50 worth of coins

Then you walk or bike?
Using car to play is most stupid thing if you dont want to throw money away, its better to just spend it straight on coins like you said.

Anecdotally, PoGo has dropped off in terms of local players, but there's still like 20-30 people in the local park area when I go Tuesdays / Thursdays.

On launch it was more like 50-100 people, small food carts / shops, etc. before the cops shut all that down lol.

But the people who still play are in the mid to high 20s, some are in the 30s, and some are just families with their kids who don't care what level they are.

It's still decent fun for me and my small group of 4-5 friends that meet twice a week and catch Pokémon. Totally worth the money invested and if they plan periodic updates I'll still play it.

Now for some Go+ notes:

I used one yesterday to "augment" my usual Go play at the park, and used another one with a friend's phone that is really underpowered and has frequent crashing issues.

For me it was great as I could attempt to catch candy fodder Pokémon without the sunk cost of using multiple balls on a pidgey, etc. Caught probably 50% of all Pokémon I used the Go+ with and the rarer ones I just manually caught. Using the GO+ to hit stops is great, especially while doing other things or using menus. It's really a good companion if you're the type of person to want to min/max your effort.

For my friend, it was a huge improvement. For example her phone would often lock up while trying to catch Pokémon, so she didn't mind the fact that she only got one shot at catching something because the odds were better than risking the phone crashing. She's been playing with us since launch with these issues and I wouldn't have stuck it out so long if I was in the same situation, but now she's keeping up with us and the fact that the Go+ seems to keep the app running when the screen is locked meant her battery life worked well too.

So TL;DR: if you have a decent phone but don't want to stare at the screen all day to hit Pokestops, it'll pay for itself especially if you work near a Pokestop. If you have a crap phone it's cheaper than an upgrade and will probably help you "get by".

jotun?

Then you walk or bike?
Using car to play is most stupid thing if you dont want to throw money away, its better to just spend it straight on coins like you said.

Well he said 15 gyms in 2 hours. I haven't seen any area where you could possibly hit 15 gyms in 2 hours of walking, even if you don't count the time it actually takes to fight them

Mik2121

#52 on Free
#5 on Grossing

For the Japan App Store.
I barely play it anymore since there's not all that much to do really.
I expected at least one new feature released after 2 months or so that could grab the attention of people for a while, but alas nothing new :/

Vipu

Banned
Well he said 15 gyms in 2 hours. I haven't seen any area where you could possibly hit 15 gyms in 2 hours of walking, even if you don't count the time it actually takes to fight them

10 gyms is max per day... I meant obviously 15 gyms TOTAL to get 150 coins for incubator.
So thats 7-8 gyms per day to get incubator every second day.

Just caught a perfect IV Dratini.. right after I evolved my 96% one (first Dragonite for me). At least I got dragons breadth and claw for moveset. Will save this one for the future.

Also got lucky with my Gyarados evolution and got bite/hydro pump.

Been a good week for me, caught my first Snorlax over the weekend as well. Now have to find one for the wife (the two we've seen have ran from her after first catch).

Firemind

After getting Magmar, Hitmonlee and Onix, I had given up hope but then my last 10km egg gave me this:

dqDtpNt.png

IVs aren't great (15/11/11) but woo third Lapras!

JavyOO7

I'm sure they'll add it eventually but I'd love to see which gyms my Pokemon are currently stationed at. And if they come back to me as I'm playing the game, a message saying 'A dork by Valor team beat your Pinsir just now.' would be lovely.

I did not have an Arcanine. Go out on a walk with the dog, one pops up, hunt is on.
I find it, and... It's a "???" Arcanine. I get all excited, waste like 15 super balls on it. It's a 1400 CP, perfect moveset and high IV's.

Felt so good.

Awesome! Hope I'm so lucky later xD

zroid

Banned
Wow I actually caught a wild Squirtle with "decent" IVs. Don't think I've ever caught one before that didn't get the worst appraisal.

Wow I actually caught a wild Squirtle with "decent" IVs. Don't think I've ever caught one before that didn't get the worst appraisal.

The rumor is CP is somehow tied to Dex number, so that may be a reason.

My friend hatched a perfect IV Squirtle last night though, made me jealous for sure.

cHinzo

FML! My Dewgong learned Aqua Jet instead of Blizzard and my Parasect learned Cross Poison instead of Solar Beam. 😫 Such a waste.

I just left a Pokemon at a gym during lunch, cashed out for coins, and got back to my desk to find the gym still Mystic...but someone else is in it and my Pokemon is in my inventory at full health.

Weird...

Oxx

I've had a Pokemon in a Level 3 gym by a Starbucks all afternoon. Clearly the game is slowing down (or it's just the awful rain today).

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I found both a Grimer and a Muk for the first time in the wild today while going to work. Didn't even have enough time to think about evolving the Grimer. Both are shit, but I'm glad I to have them in the dex.

GulAtiCa

I honestly don't believe in the "The rumor is CP is somehow tied to Dex number" thing that has been going around lately.

If that was ever the case, then all these Eevees I catch everyday should be high IVs, instead of just random. Same would apply to the 300+ Magikarps I likely caught by now.

-MB-

Would it hurt Niantic to put in an anti gym sniping grace period for the person who actually defeats a gym. Getting annoying to spend 20 misn taking down a gym just to have some sneak in a pokemon of their own.

GulAtiCa

Would it hurt Niantic to put in an anti gym sniping grace period for the person who actually defeats a gym. Getting annoying to spend 20 misn taking down a gym just to have some sneak in a pokemon of their own.

This so much! I'm more afraid of when I train a gym up.

JavyOO7

what are the ideal dewgong moves.

ice breath/blizzard?

These guys say frost breath / blizzard.

I was trying to beat a Snorlax at a gym today and didn't want to use Vaporeon so I used my Pinsir... who has both moves in this case as fighting types. He has a high CP though so I decided to fight Snorlax with Pinsir...

My Pinsir, who is at least 500+ cp weaker than Snorlax, and has the fighting moves which has no STAB bonus, fought valiantly as long as I timed my dodges. This particular Snorlax has solar beam though, and sometimes I can't dodge it. And well... my Pinsir gets wrecked if I don't dodge it. I really need to learn how to dodge solar beam with regularity. It seems it takes some time for it to wind up, and I'm already in the stages of dodging, and with regularity, I was getting hit with it. Fak.

Flo_Evans

I was trying to beat a Snorlax at a gym today and didn't want to use Vaporeon so I used my Pinsir... who has both moves in this case as fighting types. He has a high CP though so I decided to fight Snorlax with Pinsir...

My Pinsir, who is at least 500+ cp weaker than Snorlax, and has the fighting moves which has no STAB bonus, fought valiantly as long as I timed my dodges. This particular Snorlax has solar beam though, and sometimes I can't dodge it. And well... my Pinsir gets wrecked if I don't dodge it. I really need to learn how to dodge solar beam with regularity. It seems it takes some time for it to wind up, and I'm already in the stages of dodging, and with regularity, I was getting hit with it. Fak.

You mean hyper beam? It seems the dodge window is way after the animation starts. Even if you dodge it you still eat a lot of damage that can kill little bugs. I used to spam dodge whenever I saw the animation for it but it seems better to wait for the yellow flash.

sometime lag is a bitch though and you just can't do it.

GeoGonzo

I honestly don't believe in the "The rumor is CP is somehow tied to Dex number" thing that has been going around lately.

If that was ever the case, then all these Eevees I catch everyday should be high IVs, instead of just random. Same would apply to the 300+ Magikarps I likely caught by now.

Oh, it isn't a rumor at all, it is a bug that has been documented for months. As far as I remember it is only the attack IV the one that is latched by Dex number and I don't think it ever raises it, it simply lowers the ceiling: It's simply impossible to -capture- a Pidgey with good stats, for example. Thankfully it doesn't affect all that many pokemon, I think it doesn't affect growthlites for example. The main victims here are the first few.

zulux21

cool might have to level mine up now as that is the move set it got.

Just caught a perfect IV Dratini.. right after I evolved my 96% one (first Dragonite for me). At least I got dragons breadth and claw for moveset. Will save this one for the future.

Also got lucky with my Gyarados evolution and got bite/hydro pump.

Been a good week for me, caught my first Snorlax over the weekend as well. Now have to find one for the wife (the two we've seen have ran from her after first catch).
I definitely wouldn't complain about having two high quality dragonites...assuming your perfect one doesn't drop the ball with its moves.

no, it's 100% true. pretty much every wild eevee and his ilk have 15 attack, while every wild starter has 0 attack.

it's not hatched, it's wild ones.

take a look at the iv and see if there is a pattern. these are all wild pokemon

edit: and it's tied to just the attack, I've seen starters with good defense stats

no, it's 100% true. pretty much every wild eevee and his ilk have 15 attack, while every wild starter has 0 attack.

it's not hatched, it's wild ones.

take a look at the iv and see if there is a pattern. these are all wild pokemon

edit: and it's tied to just the attack, I've seen starters with good defense stats

Makes sense why Vaporeon is pretty much a top tier pick all around for gym related duties.

Good hunting today, caught 8 bulbasaurs, 7 squirtles and got a few charmander candy from my buddy. Starter evolutions are getting there, slowly.

JavyOO7

Yeah, has to be a glitch. Damn near every Eevee I run into has at least perfect 15 attack. I should do a spreadsheet.

I mind but I don't. Its the 2035 CP Vaporeon with Gun/Pump that helps me in gyms quite a bit. (15/12/15)

I should save up on these Eevees though for 2nd gen!

edit - Niantic will nerf Vap eventually, right? A good Jolteon barely makes it out alive against Vap.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
There's this rumour that you get more of the egg you don't hatch right? Well I've been sitting with 3 unhatched 10k eggs and I'm not getting any extra. Is there anything you can do to influence more 10k drops? Because I'd say the distances are just pure rng.

I do think there has to be reason why some people get like 5 eevees or 3 onix in a row. Getting those eggs from the same stop maybe?

Eevees tend to have 15 Attack for me, too. I've caught 44 Squirtles, and they basically all had no Attack.

I found a Squirtle that had 15 Attack, 15 Defense, and 0 Stamina. I trashed it like all of the other Squirtles, but this one actually defied the low Attack bug.

I have 12 Arcanine (evolved 8 of them). Seven of them have Bulldoze. Not one of them is good enough to power up (though a couple of them are at least good enough to use if I have to train against an Exeggutor).

I may end up going for another two soon. The area I get Growlithe has good pokestop coverage and I need to restock on items after I stubbornly went after a wild Charizard despite knowing it won't be any good and not needing it for my Pokedex. It ate all of my 20+ Ultra Balls and like 20 Great Balls (and berries) before being captured. I typically don't go after difficult to capture pokemon unless they are top tier, but it was a Charizard and I couldn't help it.

Top Bottom