• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Flo_Evans

dang it I should have farmed that omanyte nest when I had the chance. Now its a ghastly.

Still can't tell what my jynx nest turned into. Just see commons spawning there.

Why is Gyarados popular in gyms if he's a bad defender? high CP? intimidation factor? my goal was to get a Gyarados for this reason but I guess he kind of sucks?

He is high attack but low defense. CP rating is biased towards attack giving him better CP numbers.

Firemind

Why is Gyarados popular in gyms if he's a bad defender? high CP? intimidation factor? my goal was to get a Gyarados for this reason but I guess he kind of sucks?
You have to do something with the candy.

But yeah cp matters a lot. I already find lvl. 7+ gyms with 1500cp garbage a chore to clear. A gym with only 2000+ cp is possibly two to three times worse.

I blame all the Vaporeons.

Electro Pokemon are super effective against him other than that he's quite good.
About to get my second one soon. The first altesdy hit hydropump though.

Vipu

Banned
I barely see any difference on spawnrate/spots.
Must be some bigger cities gets em all thing again.

At least I have my small vapoarmy.

G5yG15a.jpg

Awayze

Neo Member
Had a Lapras spawn nearby but couldn't get to it due to work.

Back in July, I would have been annoyed despite only having Snorlax as my only rare Pokemon still.

GulAtiCa

Caught my 6th Grimer today. Which gave me 45 candies total. But, then I remembered I was still hoarding all 6. Was able to evolve and get my Muk! Funny thing, is that during the evolution, Muk didn't even appear. lol.
Pokedex now at 128.

Also, was THIS close, like 10 minutes, from claiming 10 gyms at once. But literally at the last minute one of my Pokemon got knocked out. So, was only able to do 9. Still excellent though.

I'm now 36.5k away from reaching level lv 27. Should achieve that sometime during my trip to Universal Studios I bet.

GulAtiCa

Gave up on getting multiple gyms. Everything is owned by Mystic here.

:D

But seriously, if you become aggressive, you can take down a lot of gyms if you have great pokemon. Though, as I place strong pokemon in gyms, becomes harder and harder/longer to tackle.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
unfortunately noticing more suspicious players than usual in gyms today, it's been a while since I saw lv34 people with 3000+ CP Dragonites.

Flo_Evans

Best gym strat is to not attack enemies. Only buff your team. Get good at dodging and utilizing type advantage.

If you have no choice but to take over an enemy look for lower traffic gyms and invest some time training it. Put in a flareon and whip it a few times with your mid tier starmies.

If all else fails don't waste time trying to claim gyms when you are in cool down timer. Unless its already high level and you are training to open a spot.

Firemind

Best gym strat is to not attack enemies. Only buff your team. Get good at dodging and utilizing type advantage.

If you have no choice but to take over an enemy look for lower traffic gyms and invest some time training it. Put in a flareon and whip it a few times with your mid tier starmies.

If all else fails don't waste time trying to claim gyms when you are in cool down timer. Unless its already high level and you are training to open a spot.
It's about prestige. If there's a high level gym near my home with crappy Pokemon then gosh darnit I'm not going to stand some little punk kids taking my territory. I'm gonna crush my enemies, see them driven before me and hear the lamentation of their Pokemon.

Gave up on getting multiple gyms. Everything is owned by Mystic here.

It's really annoying, but I still do OK. Since I have 60 Max Potions and 70 Revives, I'm going to take down some high level Blue Gyms near my neighborhood.

I'm on Instinct, and I've been inside two Gyms for five days now. I also got myself into a separate level 9 Gym, and we'll see how long that lasts. I've been getting 50 Coins when I go out.

The positive point is that I have no shortage of Gyms to attack, and some Mystic players can't get into gyms!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I've never been able to stay inside a gym for more than a few hours, doesn't matter its level. Every time I see a level 8+ gym it's belonging to a different team the next day too. It's pretty much pointless for me to try too hard, so I just go to the nearest one with the lowest traffic, battle for a bit and cash out my 10 coins.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
nice walked off my grimer and got my muk 1472 with poison jab and gunk shot think those are the best moves he can get and that puts my pokedex at 140 now to start walking off these koffings

yep, I learned this myself about a week ago. Taking down an enemy gym is fine but when you can only assign 1 defender yourself, another team is going to take that gym within an hour. Instead I find friendly gyms with a good amount of defenders already, train them up and add a pokemon as deep into the lineup as I can. Training gyms can be tough since you only have 1 pokemon, but I'll grind it out if I have to. I love it when people put Flareons in because my Vaporeons can rock them. Before I cash out every morning I check all my local gyms to see if there's any I can take real quick (without necessarily holding them) just for the extra coins each time.

Flo_Evans

It's about prestige. If there's a high level gym near my home with crappy Pokemon then gosh darnit I'm not going to stand some little punk kids taking my territory. I'm gonna crush my enemies, see them driven before me and hear the lamentation of their Pokemon.

Problem is the 3 mystic gyms by my house have really good pokemon in them. Not worth the time and items blasting them when there are friendly gyms around the corner.

At least in my hood all the little out of the way catholic churches are team valor.

edit: its also more fun for me to pick an oddball 500cp pokemon I've never used to get max prestige vs a goofy 1000cp defender. I can use my top guys and defeat just about anything but it gets old.

Firemind

yep, I learned this myself about a week ago. Taking down an enemy gym is fine but when you can only assign 1 defender yourself, another team is going to take that gym within an hour. Instead I find friendly gyms with a good amount of defenders already, train them up and add a pokemon as deep into the lineup as I can. Training gyms can be tough since you only have 1 pokemon, but I'll grind it out if I have to. I love it when people put Flareons in because my Vaporeons can rock them. Before I cash out every morning I check all my local gyms to see if there's any I can take real quick (without necessarily holding them) just for the extra coins each time.
Defeat all but one Pokemon. If your neighbourhood is heavily populated by one team, then good luck training a 2k CP Snorlax trololol

Oxx

Evolving a Magneton got me the badge for getting ten steel pokes.

Now I have at least a bronze for every badge.

zroid

Banned
This wild Dragonair seemed quite determined to dispossess me of all my Ultra Balls and Razz Berries.

I had the last laugh though

it only got half of them

Vipu

Banned
In my city its better to take enemy gyms than train own.
It takes me under 1h to take all 9gyms max if i focus on gyms only, with bike.

someone posted their battles won on reddit and they were impressed with 1000 gym battles won...am I crazy? that seems like a tiny amount

Screenshot_20160927_212401.png

I must be playing this game way different than everyone else

someone posted their battles won on reddit and they were impressed with 1000 gym battles won...am I crazy? that seems like a tiny amount

Screenshot_20160927_212401.png

I must be playing this game way different than everyone else

At least for me, that's a huge amount if only because of that ultra-annoying Gym Battle error.

That and the fact that everything's Mystic so I all I can do is train.

makes sense for instinct to be able to battle more gyms cause Valor and mystic hold so many...being blue means most of the time I'm just driving by Blue gyms or having to build prestige just to add.

Vipu

Banned
You don't get other teams coming to fight your gyms while you're taking others?

Sometimes yes but this is 18k people city full of old people and in under 1h its kinda small chance that someone takes them if I dont do it at worst times.
And if someone takes 1 or 2 gyms I go back and take them back.
Much easier than if I spent 30min+ each gym to level them up.

Vipu

Banned
Thats how it works.
Those big cities where is lots of gyms and players im sure its hard to get many gyms at once but they have lots of other things like nests, tons of more pokemons and pokestops.

In small cities there is few gyms and less players so its easier to get many gyms at once but there is less pokemons and pokestops etc.

Im happy there is at least something better to live in smaller city than big city.

KiDdYoNe

I have Pinsir spawn near my home now. Not sure how to feel about it.
Feels good but I always feel lazy to get to him.
Also started to play with Gyms. Currenty holding 7. Feels like a fun thing to do.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
cool cool cool yeah give me a grimer egg after I just got my muk yesterday cool bet I won't get a koffing egg until I walk the one I have off and get a weezing

Vipu

Banned
just 210km to go for charizard, hatching that charmander from egg helped a bit too so at least its not 300km anymore like at start.

JavyOO7

For the past 2 months at my home, the most Pokemon I'd get to show up is four. I think with the slight changes to spawn points yesterday may have hit here where I live, because now as of this morning, all three rows in Sightings were filled up with Pokemon. Can't wait to catch some stuff when I get home.

sam777

Are there new spawn locations that have appeared? As I am sure there are a couple of spawn locations near my house that were not there a until very recently.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Had some great eggs today, can't complain:

2km: Geodude & Squirtle
5km: Rhyhorn (enough for Rhydon), Nidoran F (not special, but had a bunch of candy, very close to Queen) and Abra (keep trucking for that Kazam)
10km: Scyther (meh) and... Snorlax! Seems like the opposite of the one I already had: meh IV (71), but has CP 1700. Zen headbutt & Body Slam.

I don't know what to do with my 17 candies now. My 95% IV Snorlax only has 1000 cp, so it seems like a waste to start powering that one up. Other one has meh IV. I'll just keep them for now.

Used my Dragonite in battles already and I noticed that even with 73 IV that beast packs quite a punch. Dragon breath hits so fast, the life of most mon drains pretty fast.

Found a facebook group running a local scan map, and it indicated there was a Snorlax 10 minutes from me that would disappear in 6 minutes. Ran out of the house fast enough to go back in time and arrived at the spot to see him. As soon as I touched him he disappeared with a red error band at the top of the screen.

Ugh, that's the worst, but I think that's happened to most of us. Of course with a Snorlax it hits harder

Top Bottom