• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

JavyOO7

is there a way for me to see what the gym and stop situation is like for an area I'll be traveling to? going to New York Comic Con next weekend and plan on having Pokemon Go open the whole time at least for the steps; would be nice if there are stops there to replenish items. I'm sure the gym situation will be chaos so I don't plan on even bothering

Going on by what r/pokemongo say, if you go to Central Park you'll have a decent chance to fill up your Pokedex pretty good.

deanote666

Only 141 CP though. 😂 Oh well, two new mons today, that Gengar and a Rhyhorn.

My Gengar from the other day was 142 CP! :p

Does anyone know of anyone getting banned from using fastpokemap on their phones? Just in the browser, not an installed app.

Going on by what r/pokemongo say, if you go to Central Park you'll have a decent chance to fill up your Pokedex pretty good.

tempting but my convention schedule takes priority. just wanted to know if there's stops or gyms accessible from inside, for like waiting in lines or walking from 1 event to the next. I will definitely run out of pokeballs if pokemon spawn in there but no stops

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
that Growlithe is beast against both Lapras and steel wing Dragonites...two of the main defenders.

Oh ok, I'll definitely keep him around, can always use an extra fire pokémon.

btw how weak is Jolteon? I have a 93% with thundershock and thunder, and even against water types it takes ages to bring a good one down (like Slowbro). It's faster if I just use my Dragonite.

Awayze

Neo Member
Decent Pokemon have started to spawn at work but I can't catch any of them due to time or on work.
Still garbage around home though. Opened PokeNearby a few times and each time there's been a decent one, Charmeleon today.

lt519

Hatched my Raichu from walking yesterday. Went searching for the next pokemon I wanted to do so I picked Voltorb. Walked 0.2km and hatched an egg with Voltorb and was able to evolve. 4 new Pokemon in the last 2 days after going forever without a new one. Going to start walking Clefairy now seeing that it's 1km per egg.

Oh ok, I'll definitely keep him around, can always use an extra fire pokémon.

btw how weak is Jolteon? I have a 93% with thundershock and thunder, and even against water types it takes ages to bring a good one down (like Slowbro). It's faster if I just use my Dragonite.

Jolteon sucks. I don't even know why I keep the ones that I have, I never use them.

GulAtiCa

Yep, Jolteon sucks. Esp against Vaporeon. (Since Vaporeon has high HP & high CP, so higher attack). I still use my Jolteon regularly against training against water Pokemon, but only cause I'm really good at dodging now.

Blank!

Yep, Jolteon sucks. Esp against Vaporeon. (Since Vaporeon has high HP & high CP, so higher attack). I still use my Jolteon regularly against training against water Pokemon, but only cause I'm really good at dodging now.

Is there a reason why stats are so out of whack? I had a Joltean against a Dodrio that was like 100 CP higher and it was a tight race despite super effective.

I just don't get the stat/attack system in this game at all.

MisterHero

Hatched a really good Tangela with Solar Beam. My first SBeam mon to be specific

I wish I knew about bulk hatching way earlier in the game. Frequently good stats and lots of candy and stardust. Probably the best use of coins

GulAtiCa

Is there a reason why stats are so out of whack? I had a Joltean against a Dodrio that was like 100 CP higher and it was a tight race despite super effective.

The issue is that Electric Pokemon like Joltean have very high speed (it's their specialty), but usually lower Attack/Defense/HP, etc. And since Speed isn't a stat in the game (Attack move speeds, are based on the move, not the Pokemon. So if Snorlax did thundershock , it be just as fast as if Joltean did it), it kinda screws with Electric Pokemon.

It be nice if a major revision is done to CP & moves and Speed it added back into the mix. Vape nation will likely still be strong & good, but at least Electric Pokemon will stand a chance again.

Firemind

Jolteon has a fast basic attack which gives you a bigger window to dodge. Flareon has Ember in comparison which is slow as molasses. The problem is that Vaporeon has Water Gun which has basically the same cooldown as Thundershock. And Vaporeon has almost double the HP. Speed is therefore not relevant since it's move based.

The problem with the battle system is that STAB accounts for 25%, which is the same for super effective damage. So there is almost no advantage of having a non-STAB move, since STAB is always applied while super effective is heavily dependant on your opponent. Compare this to the actual games where super effective damage has a x2 modifier and STAB a x1.5 modifier.

So, yeah, hoping for a balance patch any day now...

Hatched a really good Tangela with Solar Beam. My first SBeam mon to be specific

I wish I knew about bulk hatching way earlier in the game. Frequently good stats and lots of candy and stardust. Probably the best use of coins

Problem is you dump like 10-15$ on bulk hatching and then you end up with a lot of garbage Pokémon for gyms. It is the quickest way to get Stardust, IMO. Gonna get some incubators tonight.

No Pokemon Go Plus anywhere in Canada. Damn it, I was hoping no one would buy it (hence leaving me the option to just casually walk into an EB games and grab it).

Also, I agree that Jolteon is a bit of a glass cannon against bulky water types. However, with it's speed it really racks up the damage quickly. If you know what kind of charge moves the defending Pokemon has (often WaterGun), time it right and swap to your tank pokemon just before it hits. Then swap back and start racking the damage again.

Tangela is pretty badass too in the speed/attack area (a bit tankier then Jolteon but still needs a swap in). Both my Tangela and Jolt are about 700 cp but I've used them against 1k - 2k's with the above strat with not a whole lot of trouble.

Memles

I find Jolteon's effective for training - requires dodging, but I was battling my own Vape in a gym today (Vape 2250, Jolteon 1750) and getting 650 gym points for each victory.

The issue in a battling context is that the low HP means that your Jolteon is really only going to be able to take out a single Water Pokémon. I often bring mine in to take on a Gyarados, but against Vaporeon I'd rather use something that can withstand punishment.

deanote666

I was literally just reading your post and checked fastpokemap and saw a tangela a couple streets over! Rushed out at midnight to get it! There were 2 other cars pulled over too, lol! (at a 24hr BK).

Got 1175CP with vine whip and power whip. 15 attack.

My first one!

Just hatched my first Jynx yesterday and discovered a Jynx nest a couple towns over. :/

Edit: Gotta quit checking fastmap! Squirtle at the end of my street with 1:20 left on it. Missed it by a few seconds (12:30am)...

Joni

Seems I have a Pidgey problem: the last six Pokémon I have had ran away: five Pidgey. Five Pidgey, out of six I encountered in total during that time.

Seems I have a Pidgey problem: the last six Pokémon I have had ran away: five Pidgey. Five Pidgey, out of six I encountered in total during that time.

The last several Pidgey all ran away from me as well, in addition to a Rattata. All of them immediately. The only one that didn't out of the last chunk of Pokémon was a different Rattata.

Joco

Pokédex at 133. Been laid off of work this week so I've been hitting up the local hotspot. Got Hitmonlee for the first time yesterday, and thanks to tracking sites got my first Blastoise and second Snorlax.

BowieZ

Banned
A bit of a milestone for me!

9dgg9d6.png

Next goal: 30!

Ugh I hate it that if you level up a gym other people can put in their mons faster than you.
And I hate people who do that.
But that is a good thing. Boost it up to the next level and make it stronger.

40 coins at once is the most I ever had

How do you guys feel about water gun + ice beam on slowbro.
My first slowbro with good IVs, should I level it up?

Yrael

Woo, Lapras from an egg!

It has surprisingly average stats though, considering it was hatched and not found in the wild - 73%, with 11 Attack, 12 Defence and 10 Stamina. Its moves are Frost Breath and Ice Beam. I'm hemming and hawing over whether I should power this up.

The other high CP Lapras I found in the wild has 15 Attack, 15 Defence...0 stamina. >_< Sadly, my 41 CP Lapras remains the one with the highest IV, with an "Amazing" appraisal. RNG giveth, RNG taketh. Still, I'm happy to even have these.

https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/pokemon/80

I think Water Gun + Psychic (attacking) and Confusion + Psychic (defending) are generally considered to be the best sets for Slowbro. Ice Beam is good for attacking Dragonite though.

A bit of a milestone for me!

9dgg9d6.png

Next goal: 30!

Grats. That's pretty impressive!

But that is a good thing. Boost it up to the next level and make it stronger.

It isn't if you levelled it up to 10 and a teammate sniped the last available spot though.

Firemind

No. Unfortunately Slowbro is not a good attacker and Water Gun is just awful when defending. Confusion + Ice Beam would have been preferred as it trolls Exeggutor and random flying types.

Woo, Lapras from an egg!

It has surprisingly average stats though, considering it was hatched and not found in the wild - 73%, with 11 Attack, 12 Defence and 10 Stamina. Its moves are Frost Breath and Ice Beam. I'm hemming and hawing over whether I should power this up.

The other high CP Lapras I found in the wild has 15 Attack, 15 Defence...0 stamina. >_< Sadly, my 41 CP Lapras remains the one with the highest IV, with an "Amazing" appraisal. RNG giveth, RNG taketh. Still, I'm happy to even have these.
I would power up any Lapras with Ice Shard as it's a beast defender and Ice Shard does a lot more damage than Frost Breath. I would still keep it to train and kill Dragonites but I wouldn't power it up. Lapras candy are hard to come by.

Edit: Oh, Lapras is also fantastic at training against much higher cp Gyarados.

chunk3rvd

Anyone here use the PoGoBag site to check IV's? Not been working for the last 24 hours and wondering if it's just me or a problem with the site?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Had my worst experience with the game since I started playing it.

Everything was Mystic on my way to work today. I went to the usual gym I go to for my 10 coins and it was lv5 instead of the usual lv3 or under (everything else was over lv5 too) and started wasting my revives and potions.

Then all of a sudden I get an error and I see my character was out of the gym's range for no reason (I was sitting down and was outside). I restarted the game, the phone, no dice. I had to move to account for the fucked up GPS, but then even when I was near the gym again in he game it kept giving me an error and kicking me out.

Decided to move to another gym that has tons of traffic because it's in front of a school. I rarely manage to put a Pokemon there because there's always people jumping in. Anyway, there was a dude battling the Mystic gym there and I joined, but then the game crashed mid-battle and I just said fuck it and went to the office.

Really shitty way to start the day with the game. The only upside is that a Sandslash showed up while I was getting errors at the first gym.

BowieZ

Banned
where do you live where the gyms arent changing every hour?
Do you have to go around everyday to reclaim some gyms?
I've teamed up with a bunch of instincters and we are locking down level 10 gyms all over the place.

Most gyms change every hour but not so much level 10s ;)

GulAtiCa

Today begins my Vacation! Going to Universal Studios. So with Airport plus the 2 Universal Theme Parks, I'll be doing lots of walking! So I'm now going to start my 10k collection, I have 7 currently. Been collecting these for the past month & half. Just for this moment. I also plan to freeze my stardust spending till I get back on Wednesday. I'm also about to level up too. I plan to always have eggs in incubators during my trip.

Current Stats at the start of today:

Level 26: 183173 / 200k
Total XP: 1083173
Coins: 11810 (I gained 80 when I woke up), this was before I bought 6 incubators, so I'm at 10910 now though
Eggs Hatched: 322
Pokemon Caught: 2,903
Pokedex: 129/130
Kilometers Walked: 578
Buddy: Charmander with 64.8 km walked - 21 gained so far - 45 candies total
225 Great Balls & 46 Ultra Balls ready
800 Max Items.

Vipu

Banned
My towns 1 gym have not changed for 4 days now and its just level 3 but with very high cp pokemons and its a bit on side so I guess when people check to go get it they just dont care to.

Biske

I've teamed up with a bunch of instincters and we are locking down level 10 gyms all over the place.

Most gyms change every hour but not so much level 10s ;)

In my experience level 10 gyms are the fastest way to get people to stop playing the game. People near my work used to play and battle some gyms for fun, bit ever since the gyms have been locked at 10 for months people stop playing.

It's really destroyed the game. No point in playing anymore

GulAtiCa

holy fuck over 10k coins.
I can only dream of having that much. Thats like claiming 10 gyms everyday for 100 days!

I bought the $100 coin pack. lol. Hell, I've also started recently gaining 50+ coins per day for last like 3 weeks. I have gained just from gyms in the last 3 weeks prob something like 1250 coins.

Ignoring this vacation I'm going to start today, I plan to have these coins last me many months. Only plan to use 3 or 4 egg incubators a month. Though, I'll prob start to slow down a little till Gen 2 starts/etc.

Top Bottom