• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

So, has it been confirmed that Pokemon moves can't actually crit? I mean, I've battled my fair share of gyms including seeing the same match ups consistently, and I cannot recall ever seeing a critical hit. Even on moves like Stone Edge and Cross Chop that seem reliant up them seem broken.

I've searched around some bunch it's basically one short Reddit thread and a bunch of articles saying you can because it's listed as part of the moves.

So, has it been confirmed that Pokemon moves can't actually crit? I mean, I've battled my fair share of gyms including seeing the same match ups consistently, and I cannot recall ever seeing a critical hit. Even on moves like Stone Edge and Cross Chop that seem reliant up them seem broken.

I've searched around some bunch it's basically one short Reddit thread and a bunch of articles saying you can because it's listed as part of the moves.

Sometimes in battle after an attack a grey cloud appears on the enemy. I always assumed this was a sign for a crit but I really don't know.

Anybody else feels like the game tracks km now more easily even when in the car or bus? When I took the bus today it gave me about 1.2km. Usually on the same route I used to get like 100-200m. Had the same feeling the last couple of days. I'm very pleased about that since the weather is getting worse and worse and I have to take the bus more frequently.

GeoGonzo

The gym training change is the best change they've made since release. Recently some friends who play very casually asked about gyms and I went trough a quick explanation before ending with a "but sadly don't worry about them because by now they're always filled with much stronger pokemon, so 99% of the time you simply won't be able to use them". That's just bad design.

The gym training change is the best change they've made since release. Recently some friends who play very casually asked about gyms and I went trough a quick explanation before ending with a "but sadly don't worry about them because by now they're always filled with much stronger pokemon, so 99% of the time you simply won't be able to use them". That's just bad design.

what training change?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I was wondering: has it been confirmed that the location you get eggs from, has impact on the hatches? My recent 5km hatches were all leftovers from my vist to Brussels, where oddish/bellsprout/abra spawns... which is also what I got from the eggs. Now I'm back to my town, and I'm getting lousy 5k hatches like tentacool/staryu/krabby again, which also spawn a lot here.
This'd also explain why I have never gotten a Machop hatch before, since they're rare in most places.

GeoGonzo

what training change?
Sorry, I meant to say planned change. They announced it yesterday:
http://pokemongo.nianticlabs.com/en/post/training_update/
As we continue to make improvements to Pokémon GO, we have made an enhancement to the Gym experience for Trainers of all levels. In an upcoming version of Pokémon GO, when training at a friendly Gym, Trainers will be able to bring six Pokémon to battle instead of one. In addition, the CP of the Pokémon you are training against may be temporarily adjusted lower during your training session to generally match your Pokémon’s battle capabilities.

No matter what your level, you can now have an impact on your team’s Gym.[...]

Do you guys think that we'll ever be able to trade Pokemon? And if so, only locally or globally?

I don't want to store all those Mr. Mimes anymore and am thinking about getting rid of some.

pringles

Hm that's cool for people with low level but I fear it will take the fun out of leveling up gyms: Finding the perfect Pokemon to beat the other while having way lower CP.
If this is not the case anymore I'd be actually a little sad.
Unless there are hidden changes to the prestige system this should only make it more fun since you'll actually be able to put together a team of 6 "perfect" pokemon.

For example if the gym looks like this:

2000CP Dragonite
1500CP Vaporeon
1000CP Arcanine

With the current system you'd likely be using a <1000CP water pokemon to fight Arcanine over and over. Now you'll be able to do that, but then switch over to a <1500CP grass/electric type and beat Vaporeon, and then bring out your <2000CP ice-type and smash Dragonite. Attackers have this advantage already but it doesn't matter as much since you can just use much higher CP pokemon and brute force it. For training gyms it will actually be a lot more fun to come up with a good team that maximizes prestige gain.

This to me sounds like one of the best changes since the game was released.

Unless there are hidden changes to the prestige system this should only make it more fun since you'll actually be able to put together a team of 6 "perfect" pokemon.

For example if the gym looks like this:

2000CP Dragonite
1500CP Vaporeon
1000CP Arcanine

With the current system you'd likely be using a <1000CP water pokemon to fight Arcanine over and over. Now you'll be able to do that, but then switch over to a <1500CP grass/electric type and beat Vaporeon, and then bring out your <2000CP ice-type and smash Dragonite. Attackers have this advantage already but it doesn't matter as much since you can just use much higher CP pokemon and brute force it. For training gyms it will actually be a lot more fun to come up with a good team that maximizes prestige gain.

This to me sounds like one of the best changes since the game was released.

Yeah if it works like that than holy shit yesss. But I fear they will make it more simple e.g. like beat one Pokemon and you only get like 100 Prestige no matter which Pokemon you use. But let's see.

FUCK YES
Hatched my third Ekans (and 88% IVs too). Got 46 candy now. Guess who will be my new buddy. Can't believe I'll get Arbok soon.

Is there an app or website that has a pretty comprehensive list of gym locations? Been having a lot of fun in the gym meta lately and want to try to find some more.

oti

Banned
Found a cheap Pebble Time online today and bought it. Is there something cool to do with a Pebble + Android + PoGO Plus?

AdanVC

Seems that pokemonearby it's the only tracker that stills keeps working... Almost, since now it only scans only half of the Pokemon it used to be around me : /

AdanVC

My egg hatches have always followed what I caught recently. That's why I avoid catching Eevee like the plague whenever I have a 10k egg incubating.

What? So this has some sort of influence once you hatch an egg?? D: Currently hatching a 10k egg so I will avoid Eevees just in case hah. Maybe it's just a coincidence? Yesterday I hatched a Voltorb from a 5km egg, and I have never catched a Voltorb on the wild... Eggs are pretty misterious things!

Niantic added another layer of security, all maps will be down for at least a week as per fast poke map twitter

Nearby seems to be down as well

GulAtiCa

Hatched a Snorlax yesterday. My 1st time hatching one too (I've caught 2 more). 80% & Lick / Body Slam. Worth leveling up? Or just wait for a better Snorlax with better move set? What's the ideal moveset (for defending a gym)

Also just hatched a Magmar... My 3rd.. Oh well, at least it gave me lots of stardust.

And I picked up another 10k egg today!

IMO best snorlax defense moveset is zen headbutt and body slam. lick is too small damage for snorlax defense quick move, and since most people will go snorlax vs snorlax, lick is even worse since it's not very effective against snorlax

Is there an app or website that has a pretty comprehensive list of gym locations? Been having a lot of fun in the gym meta lately and want to try to find some more.
Best bet is to see if you can find a Facebook group or something that represents your region (and maybe team) and ask about the hotspots in your area.

Undefined

Latest 9 10k egg results:

D1q9Qe2.png

my results last time:

http://i.imgur.com/kjiqBlq.png

not too good.

Falawful

I want to test it out but currently can't leave the house.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/56e00o/psa_no_your_pokédex_is_not_malfunctioning_the/

Basically, if you see a Pokemon in a gym that you don't have in your Pokedex, then you will see the shadow appear on your Pokedex and increment your 'seen' count by 1. Am I reading that right?
Can confirm. I'm at 125/127, with shadows for Exeggcutor and Dragonite, neither of which I've ever seen in the wild. It definitely didn't do this before, and I always wondered why.

AdanVC

My egg hatches have always followed what I caught recently. That's why I avoid catching Eevee like the plague whenever I have a 10k egg incubating.

Quoting this again because This happened to me just a few minutes ago D:

I catched a Hitmonchan on the wild for the first time today and I was also hatching a 10km egg, few minutes later the egg was ready and BOOM! A Hitmonchan hatched D: So it seems it truly affects what you catch prior to hatching an egg.

Edit: Or perhaps just a terrible coincidence. IDK.

Yrael

Quoting this again because This happened to me just a few minutes ago D:

I catched a Hitmonchan on the wild for the first time today and I was also hatching a 10km egg, few minutes later the egg was ready and BOOM! A Hitmonchan hatched D: So it seems it truly affects what you catch prior to hatching an egg.

Edit: Or perhaps just a terrible coincidence. IDK.

Yeah if you hatched a Hitmonchan immediately after finding one in the wild, it is coincidental.

Someone checked the packets of code and found that the ID and CP of Pokemon in eggs are fixed from the moment they are collected from a Pokestop, and remain unchanged after hatching. The CP depends on the Pokemon itself - a level 20 Hitmonchan can never have the same CP as a level 20 Snorlax.

I have had to come to terms with how the attacks work in this game as compared to the main games... in the main games you get turn based moves and I would get a lot of satisfaction on getting a critical on something that's super effective with a stab bonus and watch the enemy health bar just get erased... that doesn't happen in pokemon go...the satisfaction has to come from the way you "melt" their health bar, so the gap between the amount your own health bar melts starts to get further and further from the amount they melt until they faint.

jariw

Does anyone has success with the "Youngster" achievement? I'm at 12 tiny Rattatas, after catching about 130 wild Rattatas, meaning that I would need to catch about 2,000 Rattatas to get the gold achievement? And lately, I don't seem to have found any tiny Rattatas at all.

Any tips on finding the tiny Rattatas specifically?

Does anyone has success with the "Youngster" achievement? I'm at 12 tiny Rattatas, after catching about 130 wild Rattatas, meaning that I would need to catch about 2,000 Rattatas to get the gold achievement? And lately, I don't seem to have found any tiny Rattatas at all.

Any tips on finding the tiny Rattatas specifically?
Nope just keep catching. I'm at 73 after catching 732 Rattatas it seems every 10 you get a tiny one. Guess you need to catch a lot of Rattatas then.

BowieZ

Banned
In how big area you have 30 gyms?
I dont think I could get 30 gyms total even if I took all gyms of 3 nearest cities here.
Brisbane, Australia. There's about 400(?) gyms in the greater city area. I'm sure that's like most cities though?

Firemind

Brisbane, Australia. There's about 400(?) gyms in the greater city area. I'm sure that's like most cities though?
There's maybe 80 in my city? Not that I have enough high cp defenders to fill them in lol. That must have costed a fortune of stardust.

I think I probably won't play this game much the coming month. It's just getting too cold to play. My fingers are freezing.
Guess the game will pretty much die in colder regions.

Top Bottom