• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Undefined

1. Was it ever confirmed that a 10k egg can only hatch the 10k pokemon? Or is there a chance that it can hatch the other pokemon too?

2. Was it ever confirmed if curveballs increase or have any effect on catch rate?

3. Was it ever confirmed that Nice! Great! Excellent! throws dont effect the catch rate, and its just the size of the inner circle that matters? Like if the inner circle was small it doesnt matter if you get the ball in it or not.

Hycran

Banned
1. Was it ever confirmed that a 10k egg can only hatch the 10k pokemon? Or is there a chance that it can hatch the other pokemon too?

2. Was it ever confirmed if curveballs increase or have any effect on catch rate?

3. Was it ever confirmed that Nice! Great! Excellent! throws dont effect the catch rate, and its just the size of the inner circle that matters? Like if the inner circle was small it doesnt matter if you get the ball in it or not.

1: 10ks only hatch 10ks. Some people, even in this thread, have claimed otherwise, but I have seen no proof of this occurring. Even if it did, the chance is obviously so minimal that it is not even worth considering.

2: curveballs and raspberries don't do anything to improve catch rates

3: no throw modifier influences catch rates

rc213

I've seen the posts in the previous page with people calling it quits.

I think i would be calling it quits as well if it wasn't for Pokemon Go+. There fact that I can accumulate Stardust, Pokemon and XP during work keeps me going. I usually hatch 2 5KM egg or 3/4 2KM eggs per shift. Haven't bought anything since i got it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

I think i would be calling it quits as well if it wasn't for Pokemon Go+. There fact that I can accumulate Stardust, Pokemon and XP during work keeps me going. I usually hatch 2 5KM egg or 3/4 2KM eggs per shift. Haven't bought anything since i got it.

I have a desk job, but I can imagine the Plus being an even bigger benefit if you have to walk a lot during the day. The lottery of the eggs in general is a big part in me still playing.

2: raspberries don't do anything to improve catch rates

Huh, then what's their point? You throw a razz berry to have a higher chance at catching a Pokémon. If it still breaks out, the effect is gone and you have to throw one again. At least that's what it says on rankedboost.

rc213

I have a desk job, but I can imagine the Plus being an even bigger benefit if you have to walk a lot during the day. The lottery of the eggs in general is a big part in me still playing.

Huh, then what's their point? You throw a razz berry to have a higher chance at catching a Pokémon. If it still breaks out, the effect is gone and you have to throw one again. At least that's what it says on rankedboost.

Yea I work in a warehouse so pretty much walk all day. From what I've gathered eggs definitely tend to favor certain Pokemon depending on where you get them.

Flo_Evans

Berries affect run rate AFAIK not actual catch rate.

Hycran

Banned

Rankedboost is incorrect on a lot of things, and this is another one. The formula for catching guys was broken down such that it was determined that raspberries do not make it easier to catch Pokemon. What is more likely is that raspberries actually decrease the liklihood of a Pokemon running away after you throw a ball.

While this may seem like a semantic difference, it isn't as all Pokemon have a higher liklihood to be caught then to run away (other than maybe Abra). As such, if raspberries doubled the chance to catch or halved the chance to run you would be presented with different sets of numbers.

GulAtiCa

Yeah same. The excitement has def gone down for me, esp as my Pokedex now sits at 135. But, with Go + and me trying to be active walking, I'll continue collecting stardust & hatching eggs. Plus on my way to work and home, I'll still try to take gyms.

Pejo

I don't have much of a choice. Something has screwed up with my Carrier and I can't even log in to the game off of WiFi anymore. Was fun while it lasted, and I was actually really close to hatching like 3 5k eggs. Bummer.

JavyOO7

I would love to use my pogo+... doesn't work with my phone though (moto x pure 2015). Sad panda over here. I won't return it though, just may lend it to my friends so they can use it until there is a fix or I get an iPhone next year. =p

I would love to use my pogo+... doesn't work with my phone though (moto x pure 2015). Sad panda over here. I won't return it though, just may lend it to my friends so they can use it until there is a fix or I get an iPhone next year. =p

It should work. The phone looks like it has all the necesary specs and stuff.

JavyOO7

It should work. The phone looks like it has all the necesary specs and stuff.

It shouild work, but after many tries, it didn't. r/thesilphroad posted a work around but it doesn't work for me either. Has to do something with the bluetooth radio from people with the same problem (rants in Moto boards).

Works like a dream on my friends' Galaxy S7 and I will bring it to work tomorrow to try it out on a coworkers iPhone 6s.

It shouild work, but after many tries, it didn't. r/thesilphroad posted a work around but it doesn't work for me either. Has to do something with the bluetooth radio from people with the same problem (rants in Moto boards).

Works like a dream on my friends' Galaxy S7 and I will bring it to work tomorrow to try it out on a coworkers iPhone 6s.

I've a Zenfone 2, would it work with it? I'm unsure of importing one because of that. What if it doesn't work...

Firemind

Wow it's piss easy to train gyms now. Even idiots could do it. Which results in lvl. 10 gyms everywhere sigh

edit: at least I'm in 13 gyms now

Hycran

Banned
What's the source for razz berries affecting flee rate only @_@

It's more of an extrapolation from the fact that we know with certainty that it doesn't help you catch Pokemon. The only other alternative is that it prevents them from running.

Well, the truth is that there is a second alternative, that berries do fucking nothing and are the pogo equivalent of pressing down and b whenever you are trying to catch something.

Ashodin

I mean, I thought we knew this. Razz berries make the pokemon chance of fleeing less. It doesn't help with catch rate (except by the transitive property of that it does by making Pokemon run less).

rc213

Got my Second Lapras today!!! Wish it was a Snorlax, Happy that it as Frost Breath/Blizzard 1676CP 87% IV.

PoGo+ with some great catches over the last 3 days.

Kabuto 665CP
Charmeleon 943CP
Charmander 545CP
NidoKing 874CP

Pokemon spawns have definitely increased on my commute to work.
PoGo+ About to reach 1 months use on the original battery.

deanote666

Any word from Jelly about nearby?

My in game tracker is still buggy. Earlier, I encounter #3 first, then #2, and then don't even find #1...

My first 2 hatches today were a pikachu and squirtle.

Made up for my earlier luck by hatching a pidgy, venonat, and paras in a row...

hirokazu

It's more of an extrapolation from the fact that we know with certainty that it doesn't help you catch Pokemon.
How did people work that out though? As far as I know, all that stuff happens on the server, so did people just test it with a giant sample size?

JavyOO7

Supposedly, these guys say that the berries you throw help make it easier to catch Totodile on your next throw. They don't list a percentage on how much easier it gets, though.

And supposedly through digging on the .apk, they found even more berries.

https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/berries

I've a Zenfone 2, would it work with it? I'm unsure of importing one because of that. What if it doesn't work...

I can't find poopy on that phone if the pogo+ works on it or not. If you can find to test it where you don't have to buy it right away that'd be great. I'd have save 35 bucks that way... =p

Flo_Evans

Wow it's piss easy to train gyms now. Even idiots could do it. Which results in lvl. 10 gyms everywhere sigh

edit: at least I'm in 13 gyms now

I'm not sure how this helps the game.

Looks like they changed the evolution animation time? Yay pidgedy party?

What are they even trying to accomplish here.

tauke

Not sure what got updated by Google as I'm unable to login on my rooted phone.

Not going to bother playing PokeGo at the moment until a solution to bypass SafetyNet appear in the wild again.

Growlie19

Good news: Made it to level 26 and added Gengar and Scyther to the dex. 112 caught, 117 seen.

Bad news: Out of the 5 10K eggs I hatched today, only one was new: the aforementioned Scyther. The other four were a Pinsir and 3 freaking Electabuzz.
At least I'll have a really good Electivire come the gen 4 update in 2020.
And for further salt in the wound, a 5K hatched into a Goldeen.

Hycran

Banned
Can anyone roughly explain how the new gym system works as it pertains to the kind of "old rules" of battling? I have a level 300ish chansey who I used to slap against much higher guys and he would pull 1000 cp per battle as if your pokemon was half the CP of the gym defender, you would get the bonus.

I ran the same thing and got 100 cp which was awful, so i made my party all level 200 caterpie with my 1100 ish Snorlax and the CP calculation seemed to work in the old fashion. I tried clicking around but wasn't able to adjust anyone or fiddle with the numbers, but any insight would be helpful.

berries change the color of the circle, it affects catch rate.

supposedly fastpokemap is coming back soon but I don't know what to believe anymore

Can anyone roughly explain how the new gym system works as it pertains to the kind of "old rules" of battling? I have a level 300ish chansey who I used to slap against much higher guys and he would pull 1000 cp per battle as if your pokemon was half the CP of the gym defender, you would get the bonus.

I ran the same thing and got 100 cp which was awful, so i made my party all level 200 caterpie with my 1100 ish Snorlax and the CP calculation seemed to work in the old fashion. I tried clicking around but wasn't able to adjust anyone or fiddle with the numbers, but any insight would be helpful.

prestige is based on your highest pokemon cp...what you can do is use your chansey and remember it's cp, then put your other 5 as lower cp than chansey, then only fight 1 pokemon. you will get your 1000 cp.

what I'm doing is picking out how far I want to fight. let's say there is a 1500 arcanine, 1750 vaporeon, 2000 slowbro, and 2750 snorlax in a level 4 gym. I don't think I can get through a 2750 snorlax that high up in the chain without having strong enough pokemon to fight it, so I focus on the first three. I want to be sure to get 1000 prestige against the slowbro so my highest cp pokemon is a 1000 cp raichu. I then choose a 999 cp eggecutor, 999 cp dragonite, 999 cp magneton, 875 cp parasect, and 700 cp dugtrio. in terms of prestige earned, the last 5 don't even matter, since the prestige calculation will all be based upon your 1000 cp raichu. so if I go through the 3 pokemon that I set out to, no matter who I fight with from any of my 6 pokemon, my max prestige earned for each downed mon would be something like +750 for arcanine, +875 for the vaporeon, and +1000 for the slowbro for a 2625 prestige gain for beating those 3 pokemon.

if you picked a 750 cp vaporeon as your highest to beat the 1500 arcanine and had the other 5 be less than 750 cp and you still beat those 3 pokemon, you will get the max 3000 prestige gain because all your pokemon were half or less all of THEIR cp

berries change the color of the circle, it affects catch rate.

supposedly fastpokemap is coming back soon but I don't know what to believe anymore

Hm I never saw that berries influenced the color of the circle, thus they've always been suspicious to me.

Update is out. Now I have to find time to test it.

Firemind

prestige is based on your highest pokemon cp...what you can do is use your chansey and remember it's cp, then put your other 5 as lower cp than chansey, then only fight 1 pokemon. you will get your 1000 cp.

what I'm doing is picking out how far I want to fight. let's say there is a 1500 arcanine, 1750 vaporeon, 2000 slowbro, and 2750 snorlax in a level 4 gym. I don't think I can get through a 2750 snorlax that high up in the chain without having strong enough pokemon to fight it, so I focus on the first three. I want to be sure to get 1000 prestige against the slowbro so my highest cp pokemon is a 1000 cp raichu. I then choose a 999 cp eggecutor, 999 cp dragonite, 999 cp magneton, 875 cp parasect, and 700 cp dugtrio. in terms of prestige earned, the last 5 don't even matter, since the prestige calculation will all be based upon your 1000 cp raichu. so if I go through the 3 pokemon that I set out to, no matter who I fight with from any of my 6 pokemon, my max prestige earned for each downed mon would be something like +750 for arcanine, +875 for the vaporeon, and +1000 for the slowbro for a 2625 prestige gain for beating those 3 pokemon.

if you picked a 750 cp vaporeon as your highest to beat the 1500 arcanine and had the other 5 be less than 750 cp and you still beat those 3 pokemon, you will get the max 3000 prestige gain because all your pokemon were half or less all of THEIR cp
The formula is based on level, not cp. Which makes sense from a programming standpoint. Just remember the level of your pokemon, maybe even add it to its nickname. If its level is half or less than the pokemon you want to use to beat that pokemon, you're good.

You can also use the CP as a guideline, but know that a 750cp Vaporeon will be at a higher level than a 750cp Starmie.

pringles

I'm not sure how this helps the game.
Easier to train gyms = more people can do it = people with weaker pokemon can get into gyms

Probably will see more high level gyms but less gyms that are stacked top to bottom with 2000+CP pokemon.
You can also use the CP as a guideline, but know that a 750cp Vaporeon will be at a higher level than a 750cp Starmie.
Isn't it the other way around?

GulAtiCa

Easier to train gyms = more people can do it = people with weaker pokemon can get into gyms

Probably will see more high level gyms but less gyms that are stacked top to bottom with 2000+CP pokemon.

This. This is meant to make it better for the more casual players who don't have every damn Pokemon at different levels to train up those annoying 2000 cp+ only gyms. Plus, helps out those new to the game. Someone who is only lv 8 beforehand would almost NEVER be able to train up against any decent gym. But, now they have a good chance.

Most gyms in my area are usually lv 7+ anyways, for months now. And a lot of those usually changes teams anyways. To those afraid of more future lv 10 gyms, try taking them down. Taking down a gym is easy. The only hard part is resources & time. Obviously a l10 gym going to take a good bit of time. But certainly doable by yourself.

I'd like to see an item you can get or buy that makes taking down gyms faster. Like will reward 2x to the amount you boost up a gym or take down a gym. So instead of 500 per Pokemon defeated, can be 1000.

The formula is based on level, not cp. Which makes sense from a programming standpoint. Just remember the level of your pokemon, maybe even add it to its nickname. If its level is half or less than the pokemon you want to use to beat that pokemon, you're good.

It's trainer level not pokemon level (exact is if you're lower level it goes trainer level +2, then the cp adjusts)...I'm level 31 so I never run into "someone has pokemon way higher than me"... the cp will adjust if the trainer level is low, and the cp stuff will still hold.

Isn't it the other way around?

yeah, vaporeon cp goes at a higher rate than starmie, so a 750 vaporeon can be level 10 while a 750 starmie is probably level 15 or something

Flo_Evans

This. This is meant to make it better for the more casual players who don't have every damn Pokemon at different levels to train up those annoying 2000 cp+ only gyms. Plus, helps out those new to the game. Someone who is only lv 8 beforehand would almost NEVER be able to train up against any decent gym. But, now they have a good chance.

Most gyms in my area are usually lv 7+ anyways, for months now. And a lot of those usually changes teams anyways. To those afraid of more future lv 10 gyms, try taking them down. Taking down a gym is easy. The only hard part is resources & time. Obviously a l10 gym going to take a good bit of time. But certainly doable by yourself.

I'd like to see an item you can get or buy that makes taking down gyms faster. Like will reward 2x to the amount you boost up a gym or take down a gym. So instead of 500 per Pokemon defeated, can be 1000.

I just don't get how this is an improvement. You pretty much always use the lowest level guy you have to train, 1000cp Vaporeon will destroy a 2000cp arcanine. You don't need to be high level to get a spot.

To me the problem is to many level 10 gyms that people dont even bother attacking because it will take over an hour to beat down. I think this is just going to gridlock gyms.

GulAtiCa

I just don't get how this is an improvement. You pretty much always use the lowest level guy you have to train, 1000cp Vaporeon will destroy a 2000cp arcanine. You don't need to be high level to get a spot.

To me the problem is to many level 10 gyms that people dont even bother attacking because it will take over an hour to beat down. I think this is just going to gridlock gyms.

Yes, but what about a 2000 cp Vaporeon (these are everywhere) and a player doesn't have anything above 1200 cp? I didn't get my good Grass Pokemon (Victreebel, Vileplume, Venusaur) till I was near lv 20. I was stuck trying to use my Electric Pokemon, and Vaporeon will tank through a Jolteon with ease. Many times I'd get fed up back in the early days cause of how unfair it was that a Vaporeon, even same CP would usually destroy me. I can easily do it now of course, as I got good with dodging. But this will only help.

My issue with the "oh no, this will gridlock gyms", is that a lot of gyms for me have been gridlocked already. This doesn't make more of them, those that spent time on making lv 10 gyms were doing so for months already and will be doing so anyways.

Top Bottom