• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Firemind

So I live in the suburbs and this morning someone took the closest nearby gym and turned it instinct. This almost never happens since the area is hotly contested between mystic and valor. I train it and add my Lapras to it. I was there anyway, had half an hour to spare and my Chansey with Psychic could train the bottom Golbat twice at full health and gain 600 prestige each time. After training it to lvl. 9 I said fuck it and left for work. When I return to home, it's filled with 600cp Slowbros and 1200cp Vaporeons. For fuck's sake lol

At least this shows there are still low level players playing the game. I'm glad I could help those poor souls out by getting some coins.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I blocked somebody from bubblestrat-ing today and it's one of my highlight PoGo moments. There's a gym outside a nearby apartment complex and I noticed that there was a CP 20 Horsea, the gym level was rapidly increasing and nobody else had added Pokemon yet. I recognized the name of this Mystic trainer because he always has CP 20 Horseas in gyms, so I figured this was a great opportunity to see if he was a spoofer. I drove over to the location and sure enough, I saw a guy sitting at the gym location and tapping on his phone. He had trained up the gym to 35000+ prestige at this point but he was by himself and nobody else had added pokemon. I could kill the Horsea with one hit and was causing the gym to lose 2000 prestige every 10-15 seconds. Meanwhile he was still frantically bubblestrating but could only boost the gym by 1000 each time so he couldn't keep up. At one point, I got the gym to about 1000 prestige but didn't kill the gym and didn't put my pokemon in so he wouldn't know who I was. After about 10 minutes of me stomping on his bubblestrats, he finally gave up and left =D

Can I get an objective opinion on if this person is cheating?

Level 14 player -
502 CP Mr. Mime
248 CP Dragonite
210 CP Kangaskhan
I also remember the player having a sub 300 CP Venusaur, and other very low level, fully evolved or uncommon Pokemon.

A month later, the player is level 16 with a 184 CP Muk and a sub 300 CP Taurus.

And I'm in lower Alabama, so not in a place where it's reasonable to believe Pokemon Go players travel internationally.

I see two options: Either the player catches almost nothing but very rare Pokemon and makes it a point to try and not level up, all while traveling to Europe and Australia; or the player is cheating. I reported him once, but he's showing up again.

Hycran

Banned
Can I get an objective opinion on if this person is cheating?

Level 14 player -
502 CP Mr. Mime
248 CP Dragonite
210 CP Kangaskhan
I also remember the player having a sub 300 CP Venusaur, and other very low level, fully evolved or uncommon Pokemon.

A month later, the player is level 16 with a 184 CP Muk and a sub 300 CP Taurus.

And I'm in lower Alabama, so not in a place where it's reasonable to believe Pokemon Go players travel internationally.

I see two options: Either the player catches almost nothing but very rare Pokemon and makes it a point to try and not level up, all while traveling to Europe and Australia; or the player is cheating. I reported him once, but he's showing up again.

Given how pathetically weak his Pokemon are, I'm not sure why you care. Also, this guy only went up two levels in a month. Even if he is cheating, he's clearly not doing it to fuck over other players.

Really don't see the issue here.

Given how pathetically weak his Pokemon are, I'm not sure why you care. Also, this guy only went up two levels in a month. Even if he is cheating, he's clearly not doing it to fuck over other players.

Really don't see the issue here.

The issue is there is another player who is taking the gyms by me everyday, who showed up on the exact same day and has been on the gyms with the other player who is possibly a cheater almost every single time. This player has 7 Slowbros that are 1800-2100, and while that's nothing that would normally alarm me, the fact that he and the other cheater seem to be connected makes me question his validity.

As for why it bothers me? From a practical standpoint, if these two players (if they are cheaters), weren't taking the gyms from me, it would shave off a good 1 1/2 to 2 hours of gym battling every day for me. I live in a fairly rural area, and while I can go to a spot to catch decent Pokemon, generally speaking the only real advantage I have over other players who live in big cities was that I was able to accumulate coins fairly easily by controlling a grouping of gyms that was somewhat off the beaten path. Am I lucky to have these gyms so close? Very much so. Can I still get them most days, given that I have the time? Yes. But if cheaters are taking them constantly, it makes the game much less fun and more grindy than it already is.

EDIT: And to be clear, there are other gyms that I claim that get taken constantly that I have no problem with. It's not a matter of having to battle gyms, its having to battle gyms that I very well could hold for days, maybe even weeks at a time, every day because two people who possibly are cheating are taking them.

Replicant

The issue is there is another player who is taking the gyms by me everyday, who showed up on the exact same day and has been on the gyms with the other player who is possibly a cheater almost every single time. This player has 7 Slowbros that are 1800-2100, and while that's nothing that would normally alarm me, the fact that he and the other cheater seem to be connected makes me question his validity.

As for why it bothers me? From a practical standpoint, if these two players (if they are cheaters), weren't taking the gyms from me, it would shave off a good 1 1/2 to 2 hours of gym battling every day for me. I live in a fairly rural area, and while I can go to a spot to catch decent Pokemon, generally speaking the only real advantage I have over other players who live in big cities was that I was able to accumulate coins fairly easily by controlling a grouping of gyms that was somewhat off the beaten path. Am I lucky to have these gyms so close? Very much so. Can I still get them most days, given that I have the time? Yes. But if cheaters are taking them constantly, it makes the game much less fun and more grindy than it already is.

EDIT: And to be clear, there are other gyms that I claim that get taken constantly that I have no problem with. It's not a matter of having to battle gyms, its having to battle gyms that I very well could hold for days, maybe even weeks at a time, every day because two people who possibly are cheating are taking them.

There are so many gyms that are occupied by cheaters these days that it boggles Niantic doesn't do anything about it. If you see at the usernames, it's obvious that they are the same person. Also, they always manage to take over gym without even being there in person. And the gym went from 0 occupants to have 3 pokemons in a matter of 2 seconds or less.

The new training rules are a joke. If you by mistake leave a strong pokemon in your lineup, you automatically reduce the ammount of prestige you get per pokemon to 105. Doesn't matter what you actually battled with.

There are so many gyms that are occupied by cheaters these days that it boggles Niantic doesn't do anything about it. If you see at the usernames, it's obvious that they are the same person. Also, they always manage to take over gym without even being there in person. And the gym went from 0 occupants to have 3 pokemons in a matter of 2 seconds or less.
You can report cheaters you know. I've gotten rid of a few cheaters this way.

GulAtiCa

Been getting pretty good stuff from 2k eggs recently. 2 Charmanders, Pikachu and a Geodude. I now need 16 less charmander candy. So 48KM less to walk.

Other than the regional exclusives, Kabuto and tops are the only two I haven't seen anywhere. Haven't had any luck hatching them out of the eggs either.

Anyone in the Cleveland area seen these fella anywhere?

Other than the regional exclusives, Kabuto and tops are the only two I haven't seen anywhere. Haven't had any luck hatching them out of the eggs either.

Anyone in the Cleveland area seen these fella anywhere?

I only know that Cleveland will be seeing a lot of Blue Jays this weekend :D

I've only caught one Kabuto in Toronto, and only seen a couple Tops on trackers so I feel your pain

Sorry for the double post but I'm sitting at home, checked the app to see if anything was nearby, saw a Lapras but without trackers I didn't feel like going outside to see where it is....

But then!

My GPS acted up and my avatar ran over to the next street and the Lapras spawned lol

jariw

Been getting pretty good stuff from 2k eggs recently. 2 Charmanders, Pikachu and a Geodude. I now need 16 less charmander candy. So 48KM less to walk.

The buddy clearly increases the chances of getting eggs of that type. When I had Charmander as a buddy, I got 4 Charmander 2km eggs (decreasing the walking distance by quite a lot). After evolving my Charizard, I changed to Bulbasaur as my buddy - that resulted in no more Charmander eggs but now I got 3 Bulbasaur 2km eggs instead.

I only know that Cleveland will be seeing a lot of Blue Jays this weekend :D

I've only caught one Kabuto in Toronto, and only seen a couple Tops on trackers so I feel your pain

If I throw the pokeball at them hard enough, I wonder if they'll go away? ;p

Meh, gotta go for more eggies then.

The buddy clearly increases the chances of getting eggs of that type. When I had Charmander as a buddy, I got 4 Charmander 2km eggs (decreasing the walking distance by quite a lot). After evolving my Charizard, I changed to Bulbasaur as my buddy - that resulted in no more Charmander eggs but now I got 3 Bulbasaur 2km eggs instead.

Oh wow, was wondering why I'd been getting so many Magikarp eggs. That's kinda cool.

Replicant

Lapras have been my buddy for eons and I still haven't got 10k eggs that has him. :(

jariw

Lapras have been my buddy for eons and I still haven't got 10k eggs that has him. :(

The buddy system has been present for a month, that's hardly eons in the context of 10km eggs? Also, keep in mind that any egg that you acquired before the buddy would not be affected, even if the buddy was present during the hatch.

BowieZ

Banned
One new thing for the patch is that for Pokemon Go: You can now choose on if you want to receive alerts/etc for Pokemon and Pokestops individually. For example, I turned off Pokemon, so my Go + will now only alert me of Pokestops. Very useful.

Also, After manually clicking on a Pokemon, the Go + no longer disconnects. Might be cause I disabled alerts for Pokemon, but maybe global now.

Okay this is all very awesome.

Anyone confirm whether any badges have been removed? It's definitely only added type badges, right?

The new training rules are a joke. If you by mistake leave a strong pokemon in your lineup, you automatically reduce the ammount of prestige you get per pokemon to 105. Doesn't matter what you actually battled with.

You can report cheaters you know. I've gotten rid of a few cheaters this way.

I now have a group of 10 cp pokemon that I include with the one pokemon I use for prestige against only the first pokemon in the gym

Vipu

Banned

Just random?
I have had charmander as buddy for 100km now and not 1 charmander from egg.
I also had TONS of 2km eggs last few days.

I am so f-ing pissed right now. I've been trying to find a Farfetchd on my trip to Asia and I'm down to my last few days. His shadow appeared and then my wife's phone GPS screwed up, getting him to spawn for her. She tapped him before she saw where he spawned and, of course, he ran. I leapt out of our room and basically ran all over the area around Victoria Park in Hong Kong trying to track him down. I never found him. Anyone who says trackers aren't needed can screw off. Even the old footprints would have helped but no, I ran around like a lunatic and still lost him.

I now it's just a game but I'm pretty crushed right now.

Vipu

Banned
I am so f-ing pissed right now. I've been trying to find a Farfetchd on my trip to Asia and I'm down to my last few days. His shadow appeared and then my wife's phone GPS screwed up, getting him to spawn for her. She tapped him before she saw where he spawned and, of course, he ran. I leapt out of our room and basically ran all over the area around Victoria Park in Hong Kong trying to track him down. I never found him. Anyone who says trackers aren't needed can screw off. Even the old footprints would have helped but no, I ran around like a lunatic and still lost him.

I now it's just a game but I'm pretty crushed right now.

Trackers aren't needed.

BowieZ

Banned
Trackers aren't needed.
They are, particularly in heavily populated areas.

Not only is the GPS often unreliable and the game tracker doesn't refresh properly, in populated areas lists of 9 Pokémon can be confusing as to how far away something actually is.

Then you have to contend with not knowing how long you have to get something and whether it's even physically possible from where you currently are.

I can entirely see how trying to catch a Farfetch'd in a limited time frame in Japan would be a total gamble.

Trackers aren't needed.

My experience says otherwise, especially since the current tracker does not work well enough. Certainly not what we were promised or what we had previously. If I see a pokemon on the radar, I should be able to single it out and find it.

If that doesn't sway you, which it won't because of your previous posts in this thread, you can refer to my previous post.

There should be a Keep Calm and Triangulate poster lol

That does not work in Hong Kong. The way the streets are laid out and the traffic prevent you from quickly establishing your range. Basically by the time I was able to narrow it down he despawned. So lack of tracking = walking around hoping to bump into him before time runs out.

Firemind

That does not work in Hong Kong. The way the streets are laid out and the traffic prevent you from quickly establishing your range. Basically by the time I was able to narrow it down he despawned. So lack of tracking = walking around hoping to bump into him before time runs out.
Depends where you are. Hong Kong isn't a city in the truest sense. There are a lot of suburban areas and even within Kowloon, the shopping streets aren't any different from other major cities.

Depends where you are. Hong Kong isn't a city in the truest sense. There are a lot of suburban areas and even within Kowloon, the shopping streets aren't any different from other major cities.

Yes, you are technically correct. There are places in Hong Kong where a lack of tracking isn't as big a hinderance. Hell, let's extrapolate that out and say there are places on Planet Earth where the lack of tracking won't be a problem. In the middle of an empty field in Kansas for example.

But there are also many locations where the current system is lacking, such as where I am currently, and, possibly, many other places. The lack of tracking in these areas is extremely frustrating, especially given what we were shown in the trailers and given in previous iterations of the game.

I have no idea why Niantic is willing to frustrate its customers. We want to give them all the success in the world and they seem hellbent on frustrating us at every turn. They are snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Firemind

I just assume they don't want to give the exact position of the Pokemon, which is why they're clamping down on third party tracking sites and even nest locations with more frequent migrations. For them, Pokemon is an adventure which I more or less agree with. I hope they find a middle road that pleases everyone, but I doubt it since they're never going to offer the functionality of third party tracking sites.

GulAtiCa

My 1st 10k egg was a Jynx interesting enough!

Also, the new 6 Pokemon training rocks! Really good and useful. Just up a Gym by 1700ish points by beating 4 Pokemon. You need to make sure all your Pokemon are under a certain CP of what you want to really target, but it's really better then the old way.

My 1st 10k egg was a Jynx interesting enough!

Also, the new 6 Pokemon training rocks! Really good and useful. Just up a Gym by 1700ish points by beating 4 Pokemon. You need to make sure all your Pokemon are under a certain CP of what you want to really target, but it's really better then the old way.
With the old system I could do 2000-3600ish Points by beating one Pokemon 4 times so I have to check myself if it's really better.
Update not out for me yet.

GulAtiCa

With the old system I could do 2000-3600ish Points by beating one Pokemon 4 times so I have to check myself if it's really better.
Update not out for me yet.

At the very least, you can still do that with just 1 Pokemon. Just need to make sure all Pokemon are under the CP range of the Pokemon(s) you want to train against. This, however will easily make it so you can gain much more.

Of the 4 Pokemon I trained against, I only used 3 or 4 of mine. So there is def room for big advantage here.

Flo_Evans

I'll have to try the new training system.

My biggest complaint with training was the game crashing trying to load gyms... hope they made it smoother.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Hard to tell if Creamium was being sarcastic lol.

Well Jynx is like the token useless 10k hatch, so that's what I was getting at :p So many people hatched one or multiple, and now it was finally my turn.

I felt it was coming after I hatched 2 Snorlaxes before out of 10k's

Vipu

Banned
My experience says otherwise, especially since the current tracker does not work well enough. Certainly not what we were promised or what we had previously. If I see a pokemon on the radar, I should be able to single it out and find it.

If that doesn't sway you, which it won't because of your previous posts in this thread, you can refer to my previous post.

Can you link me where they have promised something.
I wish my problem was that there is too many pokemons so I cant track them properly.
This system what we have now is good and challenging enough so there is actually something to do other than taking gyms.

AdanVC

Sometimes I read that eggs are set with a Pokemon from the moment you pick it up from a pokestop and sometimes I read that the type of Pokemon you catch can influence with the eggs you're hatching... What is the real truth? It's the thing that has been haunted me since I begin playing this game. I'm currently hatching a 10km egg and I want a Lapras soooooooooo badly. Is there something I can do to influence the egg so it can hatch a Lapras or it's just a matter of luck? : /

Sometimes I read that eggs are set with a Pokemon from the moment you pick it up from a pokestop and sometimes I read that the type of Pokemon you catch can influence with the eggs you're hatching... What is the real truth? It's the thing that has been haunted me since I begin playing this game. I'm currently hatching a 10km egg and I want a Lapras soooooooooo badly. Is there something I can do to influence the egg so it can hatch a Lapras or it's just a matter of luck? : /
Eggs are set once you pick it up. There's no influence.

Top Bottom