• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

zulux21

I hope we get events like this every month.

or biweekly

once a month for the next 2 months would be a decent guess.

next month sun and moon release. perfect time to do the first legendary event.

month after that christmas and new years event.

after that a vday event makes the most sense.

increase pokemon that are pink, red, or white or something :p

This event has been great so far. Silph Road tipped me off to a new Charmander nest an hour away, so I decided to hit it up. The spawns are uncommon, it took me 2 and a half hours to get the last 6 Charmanders I needed, which would have been 12 otherwise so I'm very satisfied. While doing this I managed to top off Geodude candies for Golem by walking and switched to Grimer midway through the hunt. I've already gotten 4 candies for a total of 10 towards Muk.

The big let down of the day was the 10k egg (of course, nothing good ever comes out of those for me). Another fucking Hitmonchan. And he came with 62 candies. I have 114 now :(

So with Charizard and Golem crossed off, I'm down to Muk, Tauros, Aerodactyl, and Porygon. I'm going on a road trip next week and will finally travel north enough to get a Tauros. Fingers crossed that I can get lucky and find/hatch the other 2.

Speaking of Grimer, I don't even think this guy has nests. There's not a single confirmed nest in the entire US according to the nest atlas. So if you guys need Muk, definitely consider putting Grimer as your buddy for this event.

once a month for the next 2 months would be a decent guess.

next month sun and moon release. perfect time to do the first legendary event.

month after that christmas and new years event.

after that a vday event makes the most sense.

increase pokemon that are pink, red, or white or something :p

Would be cool to increase the Alolan Pokemon forms (so Sandshrew, Sandslash, Vulpix, Ninetails, Exeggutor, Meowth, Persian, Pikachu, Raichu, Grimer, Muk, Dugtrio, Marowak, and dreadfully Rattata and Raticate. Then maybe on Thanksgiving/Black Friday there could be Snorlax spawns.

Christmas should have a bunch of Ice types, maybe Snorlax then if not for Thanksgiving. New Years could be the starters/Pikachu

I would love an event for the birds by the end of the year but I wonder if it'll just be a super rare event somewhere in the country or what.

Valentines would be rad, maybe the Nido family

Flo_Evans

complete defense for poliwrath, I have a 2500+ vaporeon with water gun/hydro pump I don't really need another water on offense, though I have plenty of aqua tail vaporeon in the low 2000s and a 1900+ poliwrath with mud shot/hydro pump.

I just don't find it a barrier at all. Just took down a level 7 gym with a 2000cp slobro with ice beam, yeah he hit me a few times with it but it was no problem. exeggutor with lower CP tanked the ice damage just fine the few times I missed the dodge.

It does punch above its CP rating but... if someone wants the gym its not going to help. Hell there was a 3000cp Dragonite topping the gym that went down like nothing, must of had horrible defense IV. My highest mon used to attack was a 2200 vapereon.

also hatched my 1st eevee from a 10k egg. with 60% iv... I evolved him anyway... and got jolteon... lol.

but I made up for it by catching my 1st wild hitmonlee. :)

clearacell and their 100 Dragonites. Jeez.. lol

How much candy do you have for Dratini?

I caught the dragonites, I have hatched a few dratini and I live in LA where we have the Santa monica pier and long Beach pike, you can catch 3 or 4 dratini per trip.

I just don't find it a barrier at all. Just took down a level 7 gym with a 2000cp slobro with ice beam, yeah he hit me a few times with it but it was no problem. exeggutor with lower CP tanked the ice damage just fine the few times I missed the dodge.

It does punch above its CP rating but... if someone wants the gym its not going to help. Hell there was a 3000cp Dragonite topping the gym that went down like nothing, must of had horrible defense IV. My highest mon used to attack was a 2200 vapereon.

you have to remember not all players are you...there are 15 million others out there and some are very casual players. players like you and me? have you seen the mons I have? that's not even counting all the 2000 cp or so just below my top 12, the variety I have to various situations...there isn't a gym anywhere that is intimidating to me at all...but for OTHER players that is not the case. you can bet when they are fighting a 3000 cp dragonite with steel wing/Dragon pulse they are using all 6 of their mons, or a fat snorlax with zen headbutt/body slam they probably lose from time.

2nd edit:
exactly what I was trying to get at lol

v

This event has been great so far. Silph Road tipped me off to a new Charmander nest an hour away, so I decided to hit it up. The spawns are uncommon, it took me 2 and a half hours to get the last 6 Charmanders I needed, which would have been 12 otherwise so I'm very satisfied. While doing this I managed to top off Geodude candies for Golem by walking and switched to Grimer midway through the hunt. I've already gotten 4 candies for a total of 10 towards Muk.

The big let down of the day was the 10k egg (of course, nothing good ever comes out of those for me). Another fucking Hitmonchan. And he came with 62 candies. I have 114 now :(

So with Charizard and Golem crossed off, I'm down to Muk, Tauros, Aerodactyl, and Porygon. I'm going on a road trip next week and will finally travel north enough to get a Tauros. Fingers crossed that I can get lucky and find/hatch the other 2.

Speaking of Grimer, I don't even think this guy has nests. There's not a single confirmed nest in the entire US according to the nest atlas. So if you guys need Muk, definitely consider putting Grimer as your buddy for this event.

What?

rc213

I caught the dragonites, I have hatched a few dratini and I live in LA where we have the Santa monica pier and long Beach pike, you can catch 3 or 4 dratini per trip.

I'm like 30 minutes from SMP and have never been for Pokemon Go. Might change that this weekend though.

Loving this event have evolved 4 new mons just from hatching with massive amounts of candy it gives.

I'm like 30 minutes from SMP and have never been for Pokemon Go. Might change that this weekend though.

Loving this event have evolved 4 new mons just from hatching with massive amounts of candy it gives.

ahh...for Santa Monica pier bring some sandals, you can get dratini if you walk along the beach just north and south of the pier, as well as from the lures.

zulux21

You think TPC would let Niantic cannabilize their own sales?

im not really sure how it would cannabilize anything. it will be a promo to remind people sun and moon are coming out and after the event people would just play sun and moon instead of go thanks to winter anyways.

heck... you design it so every best buy, target, gamestop, walmart is a spawn place for a legendary... and then when people go to get a legendary they are also at a place to buy sun and or moon.

you could even run an extra promo where if you show off the legendary you get a button at gamestop or something :p

they might use the same IP but pokemon and pokemon go are far from the same game, and it would only lead to increased sales, not decreased sales *shrugs*

Flo_Evans

Did you even read his post? lol Poliwrath (and slowbro) is for non advanced players.

non advanced players are non advanced players... not really worried about them? How can you even determine it was a n00b? Maybe the guy got bored, maybe he ran out of items, maybe his friends called him for help attacking another gym, maybe he was late for dinner. Even the n00best of n00bs has a exeggutor around here.

Look I was just curious, I have my answer, I don't agree, YMMV. If I already had 10 dragonites I would probably be looking for funky combos for fun too. I already have those combos actually but you know what I mean. I'll invest in them after I max my lapras, snorelax and dragonite.

Firemind

im not really sure how it would cannabilize anything. it will be a promo to remind people sun and moon are coming out and after the event people would just play sun and moon instead of go thanks to winter anyways.

heck... you design it so every best buy, target, gamestop, walmart is a spawn place for a legendary... and then when people go to get a legendary they are also at a place to buy sun and or moon.

you could even run an extra promo where if you show off the legendary you get a button at gamestop or something :p

they might use the same IP but pokemon and pokemon go are far from the same game, and it would only lead to increased sales, not decreased sales *shrugs*
Then people would just create more accounts to obtain legendary birds lol

They're different games. It doesn't make sense to do cross promotion. The kanto legendaries aren't even in the games!

zulux21

Then people would just create more accounts to obtain legendary birds lol

They're different games. It doesn't make sense to do cross promotion. The kanto legendaries aren't even in the games!

they are both pokemon games... and luring people into stores where they could see all the moon and sun promotions would be a great reason to do a cross promotion.

I mean tons of stores run promotions to get people in them because they are far more likely to buy stuff from their store when in them than outside of them :p

WPS

A 20 cp Krabby has been holding a gym nearby for 3 days. It is my hero.

It now runs a level 10 tower of fairly low level pokémon, including one of mine. It has a 130ish cp Cubone as the second line of defense, a group of 1000ish cp pokémon (including one of my Golducks), and some dumb jerk 2k Dragonite who didn't get the message and is ruining the theme.

Fight on, little Krabby.

Firemind

they are both pokemon games... and luring people into stores where they could see all the moon and sun promotions would be a great reason to do a cross promotion.

I mean tons of stores run promotions to get people in them because they are far more likely to buy stuff from their store when in them than outside of them :p
Of course stores want to do promotions. That's not the question. The question is does the PTC want to promote their new game using Go? I mean, there are tons of people who want to buy the new games but have zero interest in Go and vice versa. It'd probably be a better way to spend marketing on focused groups.

jariw

What is the best attack set for Gengar? I have now evolved two almost-perfect Gengars during this event, but they both have Shadow Claw/Sludge Bomb. Is there any better combo for Gengar?

non advanced players are non advanced players... not really worried about them? How can you even determine it was a n00b? Maybe the guy got bored, maybe he ran out of items, maybe his friends called him for help attacking another gym, maybe he was late for dinner. Even the n00best of n00bs has a exeggutor around here.

Look I was just curious, I have my answer, I don't agree, YMMV. If I already had 10 dragonites I would probably be looking for funky combos for fun too. I already have those combos actually but you know what I mean. I'll invest in them after I max my lapras, snorelax and dragonite.

you get to know what types of people play by just talking to them, I see them park in front of the gym to play and see them put their mons in or down the gym completely, and you can see their level and stuff and what they leave in, and you really can get a sense of what types of players are out there just by observation. out here exeggcute is extremely uncommon actually...most grass types and water types hardly ever appear. people go out of their way to look for those. fire, rock, and ground are really common which is one of the reasons why I can say around here poliwrath and slowbro are especially strong. they are already good pokemon that are enhanced with the meta game around here. IF the person has a grass type they usually have a few very they probably had to farm at a nest and even then if they get hit with ice attacks their pokemon counter gets countered.

and if they run out of potions as one of the reasons they leave? EXACTLY...that's one of the points. pokemon aren't left in gyms to win every battle, they are there to stay as long as they can and deter other players from taking it over, for whatever the reason. if the enemy player gets annoyed he is taking too much time and maybe has to spin extra pokestops later on because they didn't anticipate using as many potions and revives, he or she is more likely to leave. if they get bored because the enemy snorlax takes too long to beat, the gym "won"... that's the point of having good defenders rather than just putting in high cp. that's why having certain pokemon and certain movesets are more sought after.

Not

Banned
Never, ever would have gotten a Haunter or Hypno where I am. Level 23 and I had one Drowzee and two Gastlys.

Thank you based Niantic

jelmerjt

Got a 88.9 IV Lapras out of an egg. Not the best moveset I guess but this is my best Lapras yet. No Dragon Pulse like last time. Powered it up like crazy, cost me about 100 candies :p

mDlzb7i.png

Dishwalla

Banned
Have caught so many Gastly/Haunter and Cubone, have over 300 candies for each of them now. Also have over 200 Meowth candies. These guys are everywhere.

Wish I could find some Charmander though.

Not

Banned
I finally got a Scyther in an egg. I screamed for joy in public. Still trying to walk my Kabuto buddy into a Kabutops.

Lapras? Aerodactyl? Electabuzz? Lol. What are those pokemans?

Replicant

Hatched seven 10k eggs at once, got FOUR Eevees, two Aerodactyls and a Hitmonchan.

Hearbreaking and tragic. Although hopefully the Aerodactyls and Hitmonchan have good IVs and movesets.

Got a 88.9 IV Lapras out of an egg. Not the best moveset I guess but this is my best Lapras yet. No Dragon Pulse like last time. Powered it up like crazy, cost me about 100 candies :p

mDlzb7i.png

I hate you. Mine got good movesets but a defect in one of the stats:

NWqLOvU.png

Azole

Neo Member
I was just going to ask about that. I just went for a run and caught 8 gastlys and they each yielded 6 candies when caught and 2 candies when sent to the professor. What's going on?

Halloween event. Started on the 26th and last till November 1st. Candies are doubled for catch, hatch and transfer. Takes 4x less distance to get candy from buddy.

Flo_Evans

you get to know what types of people play by just talking to them, I see them park in front of the gym to play and see them put their mons in or down the gym completely, and you can see their level and stuff and what they leave in, and you really can get a sense of what types of players are out there just by observation. out here exeggcute is extremely uncommon actually...most grass types and water types hardly ever appear. people go out of their way to look for those. fire, rock, and ground are really common which is one of the reasons why I can say around here poliwrath and slowbro are especially strong. they are already good pokemon that are enhanced with the meta game around here. IF the person has a grass type they usually have a few very they probably had to farm at a nest and even then if they get hit with ice attacks their pokemon counter gets countered.

and if they run out of potions as one of the reasons they leave? EXACTLY...that's one of the points. pokemon aren't left in gyms to win every battle, they are there to stay as long as they can and deter other players from taking it over, for whatever the reason. if the enemy player gets annoyed he is taking too much time and maybe has to spin extra pokestops later on because they didn't anticipate using as many potions and revives, he or she is more likely to leave. if they get bored because the enemy snorlax takes too long to beat, the gym "won"... that's the point of having good defenders rather than just putting in high cp. that's why having certain pokemon and certain movesets are more sought after.

Well right. Like I said grass is a very common type here. Tangelas for days, exeggutors, viliplume, victorybell are all easily obtainable. Water is also all over, like I said I have 4 poliwraths already. 3 slowbros. What's rare is fire but I have plenty of eevee fire types.

Just looking at my badges I have 3000 caught... 39 are fire lol. 72 ground and 29 rock.

You probably have a way different player base as well, I never see any low level people anymore it's only dedicated players still fighting for gyms. I live in the city limits and work downtown. Out in the burbs it might be different.

And my 10k egg just hatched... onix! :(

GulAtiCa

I was just going to ask about that. I just went for a run and caught 8 gastlys and they each yielded 6 candies when caught and 2 candies when sent to the professor. What's going on?

lol, haven't been paying attention recently? :p

It's the Halloween Event! Lasts until Nov 1st. Caught, hatched and trasnfered pokemon reward double candy. Buddy system also is 1/4th. So my Dratini gets a new Dratini candy every 1.25km (instead of 1 per km). And of course, Halloween Pokemon: Gastly, Hypno, Meowth, Cubone and Zubat and their evolutions are made common.

Jesus why the hell does the game force close my music everytime? I mean, it did it before, but backgrounding the app was an inconvenient yet feasible solution. Now even that doesn't seem to work anymore.

KingBroly

Banned
I didn't realize that Meowth was part of the Halloween event. I got a ton of em. Lots of Cubone, Drowzee and Ghastly. A couple of Haunters and Marowaks as well

lol, haven't been paying attention recently? :p

It's the Halloween Event! Lasts until Nov 1st. Caught, hatched and trasnfered pokemon reward double candy. Buddy system also is 1/4th. So my Dratini gets a new Dratini candy every 1.25km (instead of 1 per km). And of course, Halloween Pokemon: Gastly, Hypno, Meowth, Cubone and Zubat and their evolutions are made common.

Oh awesome. Hopefully I can find some drowzees. I still don't have hypno

HiResDes

I have enough candies of every Pokémon related to the event to last a lifetime and every optimal moveset for these pretty much non viable final solutions too. I wish they'd end it already despite the candy increase because no matter what anyone says it's affecting the usual Pokémon that would spawn like it's much harder to get anything outside of the spooky spectrum eight now for me.

Hatched seven 10k eggs at once, got FOUR Eevees, two Aerodactyls and a Hitmonchan.

So disappointing, especially as I already had two Aerodactyls.

The disappointment is lost only on me, because Aerodactyl and Hitmonchan are the best 10km hatches that I can possibly get at this point. Which single stages do you actually need?

A Dratini hatch would have been real nice. I can technically get Dragonite right now, but my wild Dragonair's stats of 11 ATK, 11 DEF, and 7 HP are just not that great. I'll just have to be a bit patient.

I really hate these goddamn Eevees. I hatched five 10kms, and got three Eevees, a Jynx, and Snorlax.

This Snorlax is pretty amazing, so he prevents this batch from being a total dud. He has 13 ATK, 13 DEF, and 15 HP. His moves are Lick and Body Slam. My other Snorlax has Zen Headbutt and Hyper Beam with 11 ATK, 12 DEF, and 10 HP. They are both over 2000 CP, and I still have 44 Snorlax Candy. I'm really glad that this hatch gave me 59!

Complete 10km egg summary:
25 hatched (out of 377 total)

11 Eevee
3 Jynx
2 Hitmonlee
2 Scyther
2 Snorlax
1 Onix
1 Chansey
1 Electabuzz
1 Magmar
1 Omanyte

I have received a few really good hatches, but the Eevees are severely delaying my progress. They have made up 44% of my 10kms, which is just madness. It's gotten to the point where I can't really be excited about picking 10km eggs up.

My coins are almost gone, too, so I will definitely have to buy more if I really want more shots at hatching 10kms during this event. I have seven 5kms lined up now, and I really want one of them to be Machop, since I was unsuccessful at farming them today. A hatch will save me some work.

I would strongly advise people not to stock up on too much 10kms, because you'll probably hatch less of them in the long run. It's faster to just incubate large batches of 5km eggs and below, so that 10kms will at least show up.

I know that feeling, my snorlax has been away for almost a month now :(

I'd do anything to have a Pokemon in a gym for more than a week. I haven't been able to collect any coins for days. I don't have the time and patience to level up a level 8/9 gym and that's what most gyms here are like right now.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Any Pokémon I put in, stays in a gym a day max. Even in my tiny town people are constantly attacking the two only gyms, much more agressively even than in the town I work (which is bigger!)

HiResDes

Same the worst is when I spend time unlocking all of these slots for fellow members to join and then an opposing team member comes and kicks me out before anyone shows.

They did increase the 10km eggs didn't they. Hatched one (Omanyte fuck yes) and I got another one directly after while having a second one. Let's see if I can hatch those too during the event. But I did't get that much candy for Omanyte unfortunately, only 32 candy or so.

Radec

Finally got Cloyster and Alakazam from evolution thanks to egg and buddy candies.

Now for a long walk for Charizard..

GulAtiCa

They did increase the 10km eggs didn't they. Hatched one (Omanyte fuck yes) and I got another one directly after while having a second one. Let's see if I can hatch those too during the event. But I did't get that much candy for Omanyte unfortunately, only 32 candy or so.
Yeah, since the event started I found 4 10k eggs. So it's possible. Though, I've been heavily hatching nearly all at once. So it's a little easier to get them currently for me.

orochi91

This Halloween event has been frustrating.

My area is now flooded with drowzees, gastly, and cubones.

Also, Pokemon that used to spawn regularly, like Squirtle and Charmander are so rare now. Not sure if Niantic changed up some nest spawns or if this Halloween event is causing this.

D':
What IV calculator is that? Looks way better than the one I'm using.

Top Bottom