• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

cHinzo

It finally happened guys! Perfect time to get my first Lapras during the Halloween event. :D

HF2fIj0.png

oFGyQdp.png

Still want a Snorlax though. Will get one someday. :>

Flo_Evans

It finally happened guys! Perfect time to get my first Lapras during the Halloween event. :D

Still want a Snorlax though. Will get one someday. :>

Nice candy haul!

Ugh all my 10k eggs from this events have been busts (1 dartini which was nice). Did get lots of good 5 and 2k hatched to evolve some new dex entries.

One more cooking... would love some snorelax candy Pokémon gods.

Also just hit 28! Time to spend some dust on my gym crew.

Edit: two 5k eggs just popped... ghastly lol ;_;

Firemind

All your 10km eggs?

I only got three this whole week (Eevee, Omanyte and Onix) and I've been hatching like crazy.

At least I got one Growlithe and two Exeggcutes.

Mr Swine

Banned
This Halloween event has been somewhat of a dud for me and my family. Visiting my sister in Gothenburg I was hoping to get some rare Pokemon but since this event has been going on for almost a week there have been mostly bad mons out :/

Memles

Hit Level 30 this afternoon, which was my primary motivation for continuing to play.

Had forgotten how much loot there was going to be - well timed with the Halloween event to pick up the extra incubators, in particular. Sadly, my 10km that hatched in the lucky egg right before this was an Onix, and the 5kms haven't been overly productive.

Now it will be interesting to see how the game keeps me engaged after the event with that 500,000 staring at me.

jotun?

I had a Dratini hatch this weekend for 64 candy, which is awesome (had no Dragonite yet)

my wife had 3 10k hatches and they've all been Eevees

Flo_Evans

All your 10km eggs?

I only got three this whole week (Eevee, Omanyte and Onix) and I've been hatching like crazy.

At least I got one Growlithe and two Exeggcutes.

I bought $10 worth of coins so I had 9 going at once. I think I hatched 5? 10k and a ton of 5k and 2k. Also upgraded my item and Pokémon storage which was nice.

I feel kind of dirty supporting ftp tactics (never done it before) but I've put more time into this game than some $60 titles so I think it's ok.

Memles

I feel kind of dirty supporting ftp tactics (never done it before) but I've put more time into this game than some $60 titles so I think it's ok.

This was my argument. I ended up spending $40 total, timing the purchases to trips and other occasions where having access to the incubators was valuable. That's the price of a 3DS game, and this has definitely gotten more playtime, so I don't feel like I'm supporting predatory FTP practices so much as I'm making a personal value judgment of the game relative to my time playing it.

border

Since the most recent update, Pokemon Go turns down the volume on whatever music/podcast is playing while you are in the game.....forcing you to increase the volume. If you switch to another app though, the original volume is restored, usually resulting in your eardrums exploding or your speakers blowing out.

Has any fix for this been discovered?

Memles

Since the most recent update, Pokemon Go turns down the volume on whatever music/podcast is playing while you are in the game.....forcing you to increase the volume. If you switch to another app though, the original volume is restored, usually resulting in your eardrums exploding or your speakers blowing out.

Has any fix for this been discovered?

It's super annoying, but I discovered one easy solution—if you pause the music/podcast and then unpause it, the volume goes back to normal, at least on iOS.

So...I apparently hit the Pokemon buddy cap. I walked Dratini for several kms on Friday evening, and then I switched to Bulbasaur on Saturday morning. I was able to walk 23.5 km on Bulbasaur before I got capped. This means that I walked a combined distance of 40 km between the Dratini and Bulbasaur during some 24 period.

I stopped playing at 4pm on Saturday, and I remember starting at 6pm on Friday. The limit probably reset a few hours after I went home, but my legs needed a break anyway.

I hatched 3 10km eggs on Saturday. I hatched 2 Snorlax in a row and a Scyther. Snorlax wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but it is still better than most results. My Scyther actually got good moves this time, so I can't be mad. I got three Snorlax during this event, and I have four total now.

IMG_0024.jpg
IMG_0025.jpg

I also just hit level 31.

My priorities in descending order are Aerodactyl, Hitmonchan, Dratini, Kabuto, and Lapras. I have 9.0 km on a 10km. So I hope it's at least one of these. I have 1800 Coins left, so I'll probably get at least 2 more eggs before the event is over. I want to evolve a strong Dratini before I register Dragonite. My level 450 CP Kabuto has good IVs, but I can hold out for one with a higher level. I just want a strong Lapras.

After this, I obviously won't be aggressively playing. I'm close to being done, so I can slow slow a little bit. I have two major walls in my way, but at least my Pokemon and resources will improve in the mean time.

Oxx

I picked a bad time to get ill.

Hopefully I drag myself out of the house and get some buddy candy before the event ends.

Oxx

Just got the gold medal for ghost types. I'm about 90 short of the ground gold, and I can't imagine catching that many Cubones.

Time to focus on candy accumulation.

Invis

Haven't played PoGo in a few weeks but are no map scanners working anymore? I have the most up to date version of PokeAlert that I got a few days ago from GitHub but I don't even see the scan button on the bottom anymore, and FastPokeMap says they're offline.

GulAtiCa

Hatched my final 10k egg, was a Kabuto.. at least I could evolve it.

My 5 10k eggs this event: 2 Electrabuzz, Jynx, Kabuto and an Omanyte. At least the Electrabuzz was new.

I'm jealous of those that hatched a Dratini, Snorlax or Lapras.

Speaking of Dratini, found another whilst Kohl's shopping. Ran outside to catch it, nothing good, but 8 extra candies. I'm now at 148 candies.

Crumbtiny

Anyone having issues with their buddy mileage not tracking? Just started yesterday. The orange circle isn't filling up, just stays black. Tried changing buddies and still the same thing.

john tv

So...I apparently hit the Pokemon buddy cap. I walked Dratini for several kms on Friday evening, and then I switched to Bulbasaur on Saturday morning. I was able to walk 23.5 km on Bulbasaur before I got capped. This means that I walked a combined distance of 40 km between the Dratini and Bulbasaur during some 24 period.
What cap are you talking about?

GulAtiCa

What cap are you talking about?
For the buddy system, there is a 40km cap for each day. So in that 24 hour period, once you reach it, you won't get any more candies until after its over.

I'm kinda surprised people can ever each the cap, since 40km is hell of a lot to walk.

Memles

Not a particularly fortuitous collection of egg hatches so far for me—a couple of decent 2km pulls (a Squirtle, a Pikachu, a Jigglypuff), but the 5km have been pretty consistently terrible, including a Gastly and two Meowths.

Hoping for better luck on the two 10kms I picked up at the zoo today, especially after the first yielded an Onyx. Would love at least something useful (Kabuto, Omanyte) if not something exciting (Lapras).

Hycran

Banned
Anyone having issues with their buddy mileage not tracking? Just started yesterday. The orange circle isn't filling up, just stays black. Tried changing buddies and still the same thing.

I had it happen where the buddy mileage wasn't tracking due to what looked like an egg struggling to hatch. Once the egg hatched, all the buddy mileage accumulated properly. I'm pretty sure that has happened to me on multiple occasions, or when you're driving where it tends to pop up at a later time.

I went to a big park in Vancouver that had charmander so charizard is down, and I actually have enough Candy to get venusaur but i'd like to level my bulbasaur which is 14/15/14 instead so still waiting for that last little bit of candy, otherwise my dex is done, feelsgoodman.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Got a few new Pokédex entries today after walking and collecting a bunch: Venusaur (Razor Leaf and Petal Blizzard) and Gyarados (Bite/Dragon Pulse). Can I do anything with both having these movesets? They're both 90+ IV's...

Then hatched enough for a second Arcanine, Fire Fang and... Bulldoze. At least I have 44c left so hopefully third time's the charm.

All in all again a bad day moveset-wise. So now I missed out on Solar Beam in Vileplume, Victreebel and Venusaur. It's not meant to be :p At least I get a retry with Vileplume soon, almost have enough for a second one.

Flo_Evans

Got a few new Pokédex entries today after walking and collecting a bunch: Venusaur (Razor Leaf and Petal Blizzard) and Gyarados (Bite/Dragon Pulse). Can I do anything with both having these movesets? They're both 90+ IV's...

Then hatched enough for a second Arcanine, Fire Fang and... Bulldoze. At least I have 44c left so hopefully third time's the charm.

All in all again a bad day moveset-wise. So now I missed out on Solar Beam in Vileplume, Victreebel and Venusaur. It's not meant to be :p At least I get a retry with Vileplume soon, almost have enough for a second one.

Petal blizzard is good for gym defenders, but yeah give me solar beam anyday. Dragon pulse is good for attacking dragonite, since dragon is weak to dragon and gyrados is not a dragon for some reason.

Dishwalla

Banned
Finally hatched an Aerodactyl, so with my incoming Charizard(should get it tomorrow) I'll only have four Pokemon left; Alakazam, Muk, Lapras, and Kabutops.

Firemind

Razor Leaf / Petal Blizzard is Venusaur's best defensive set. I wish I had your luck. :p

Leave the prestige training to the inferior grass types.

border

I've found use for most of them.

Except for Seaking. What a piece of horse shit Pokemon.

A Seaking with Megahorn can rip up an Executor pretty well. I can't find any other pokemon that have a max-level Bug super attack.

For that matter, I can't even seem to find a pokemon that has a Bug normal and a good Bug super. Only Pinsir seems to get Bug attacks for both normal and special, but it seems like Pinsirs never get anything better than X-Scissor for their special.

I've found use for most of them.

Except for Seaking. What a piece of horse shit Pokemon.

My perfect Seaking has Peck and Icy Wind :(

A Seaking with Megahorn can rip up an Executor pretty well. I can't find any other pokemon that have a max-level Bug super attack.

For that matter, I can't even seem to find a pokemon that has a Bug normal and a good Bug super. Only Pinsir seems to get Bug attacks for both normal and special, but it seems like Pinsirs never get anything better than X-Scissor for their special.

Hm it's risky for Seaking to go against Eggs because of it's grass attacks, but perhaps he's much easier to dodge with. Survival wise, probably Parasect is best since it resists the grass moves from eggs, but for something that will absolutely shrek Eggs (and probably die in the process) you can't go wrong with a Venomoth or Scyther with Bug Bite and Bug Buzz. Absolute domination.

Firemind

Now that I think about it, it's fucking bullshit that Venusaur and Charizard have STAB basic moves and Blastoise has fucking Bite which is always worse than Water Gun. What the hell man? Why doesn't Charizard have Bite? It also learns Bite. Fucking bias man.

Dishwalla

Banned
Now that I think about it, it's fucking bullshit that Venusaur and Charizard have STAB basic moves and Blastoise has fucking Bite which is always worse than Water Gun. What the hell man? Why doesn't Charizard have Bite? It also learns Bite. Fucking bias man.

Charizard does not learn Bite by level up in the main games.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Petal blizzard is good for gym defenders, but yeah give me solar beam anyday. Dragon pulse is good for attacking dragonite, since dragon is weak to dragon and gyrados is not a dragon for some reason.

Razor Leaf / Petal Blizzard is Venusaur's best defensive set. I wish I had your luck. :p

Leave the prestige training to the inferior grass types.

Ok thanks guys, good to know that high IV Venusaur isn't worthless. I'll plant him in a gym.

I also made my second Poliwrath and it now has bubble. Why is that move so important again? Important for defense because it's hard to dodge? Someone explained it a few pages ago I think.

Makarov Cubone

Neo Member

If you're talking strictly about countering exeggutors, x-scissor is superior to bug buzz and megahorn because it can come out even between exeggutor's quick attacks with enough time left to dodge, and considering exeggutor hits like a truck even without type advantage, dodging is the optimal way to fight it.

Frida Kahlo

Neo Member
Every time I turn on the game in my home, the GPS go nuts, I think it might not be able to localize my phone properly because I live in a tall building, so every 3 minutes or so the avatar walks (so many "Passenger" pop-ups) and I've been catching, hatching and winning candy because of this o_O I have the GPS on high precision mode, which side-note drains the phone battery, and this keeps happening...

Another side-note: Yesterday I reported a PokéStop in my hometown, did anyone of you done this and how did it feel/did you cope with it? It's a odd/strange sentiment, I don't think I'm prejudicing any player since the Stop is remote/a bit far from buildings, but I really do think it shouldn't be one (it's a cemetery) and I'm surprised it still exists past these 3 months (release in my country)...

Firemind

I also made my second Poliwrath and it now has bubble. Why is that move so important again? Important for defense because it's hard to dodge? Someone explained it a few pages ago I think.
Look at the number. Bubble's power is 25. That's almost like having Water Pulse as a fast attack. Plus, unlike most attacks, you dodge Bubble when it's almost finished its attack animation instead of just before its attack animation, which throws some people off.

Flo_Evans

If you're talking strictly about countering exeggutors, x-scissor is superior to bug buzz and megahorn because it can come out even between exeggutor's quick attacks with enough time left to dodge, and considering exeggutor hits like a truck even without type advantage, dodging is the optimal way to fight it.

Yeah a lot of times vs exeggutor I don't even use charge move, just stick and move with quick attack to minimize damage.

I'll have to try x scissor on it.

GulAtiCa

I don't know why... But for some reason I thought the event ended tonight. Even knowing tomorrow is Halloween lol. I'm excited, means I can earn more Dratini candies. At 151 now. Should be able to earn at least 6 more candies. Maybe I'll be lucky and catch another Dratini.

Replicant

Yesterday because I didn't bother to choose my Pokemon carefully, I ended up with nothing to face off against an Exeggutor.

Desperate to win, I chose my Vaporeon with Water Gun and Hydro Pump. Holy Sheet! I knew Vaporeon is good but he's just really really fast against Exeggutor and with good dodging, I easily defeated the egg.

Flo_Evans

So I'm putting the kids down and I see snorelax pop on nearby... run out of the house do a wide sweep to known spawn points around me... he keeps disappearing and coming back, finally find him 5 houses down.

Nearby fucking blows.

He is only 1000cp but 6 candy :)

Edit ha and holy shit ice beam lapras hatched without notifying me. :) :) :)

john tv

For the buddy system, there is a 40km cap for each day. So in that 24 hour period, once you reach it, you won't get any more candies until after its over.

I'm kinda surprised people can ever each the cap, since 40km is hell of a lot to walk.
Ahh, so weird that they'd cap it!

BTW, does anyone know the exact date/time this event ends?

So I'm putting the kids down and I see snorelax pop on nearby... run out of the house do a wide sweep to known spawn points around me... he keeps disappearing and coming back, finally find him 5 houses down.

Nearby fucking blows.

He is only 1000cp but 6 candy :)

Edit ha and holy shit ice beam lapras hatched without notifying me. :) :) :)

You mean sightings

Nearby was amazing

Top Bottom