• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

zulux21

Some people play as passengers in public transport or carpooling.

it sucks for them, but the developers have been clear for a long time that their goal is to get people out and exercising, so it shouldn't be surprising they are trying to make it not work in a car.

I mean i enjoyed picking up stops on the way to places, but if the car experiences were a major part of my gameplay with the game I would have quit long ago as it just isn't worth it.

A plaintiff would only need to prove Niantic didn't do enough to avoid Pokemon spawning in private property (pretty easy to do).

There are parts of the world where a ToS is legally worthless.

That's unfortunate. Well.... What's the difference in someone trying to sue Niantic because they were driving and playing?

Are you shitting me? :\

This is just beyond ridiculous.... But I guess it's inevitable if they actually face the possibility of being sued because someone crashed while playing the game?

One step forward and two steps back, what else is new Niantic.

How drastic are the gym prestige changes? I guess this is their solution to the level 10 gym "problem", make it easier to tear down and harder to build up. I felt it was fine before, I enjoyed putting time into building gyms up because of the long lasting rewards.

I'm at 140 caught (Muk and Porygon missing) and level 28. My interest dropped drastically after the scanners died in early October, with the Halloween event bringing me back in for a week. At this point I'll grab the daily bonuses and maybe keep up with gyms if they don't flip flop too much.

This game has just progressively gotten less fun to play over time. I don't see myself bothering with this anymore once I get my final 2.

it sucks for them, but the developers have been clear for a long time that their goal is to get people out and exercising, so it shouldn't be surprising they are trying to make it not work in a car.
Well, people wanted to play the game their way and Niantic doesn't want to, I guess it's a childish move by them. We know the speed limit was placed so people stopped playing in their cars. I play in my bike and sometimes I have to go slower so my distances are actually counted.

If Niantic wants people to only walk or jog with the game, they should really spell it out.

Dishwalla

Banned
This doesn't seem like the time of year for Niantic to expect people to walk everywhere to play the game. Not really fair to say "tough luck passengers, guess you should start walking".

zulux21

Well, people wanted to play the game their way and Niantic doesn't want to, I guess it's a childish move by them. We know the speed limit was placed so people stopped playing in their cars. I play in my bike and sometimes I have to go slower so my distances are actually counted.

If Niantic wants people to only walk or jog with the game, they should really spell it out.

from the google play product page

Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, Pikachu, and many other Pokémon have been discovered on planet Earth!
Now’s your chance to discover and capture the Pokémon all around you—so get your shoes on, step outside, and explore the world. You’ll join one of three teams and battle for the prestige and ownership of Gyms with your Pokémon at your side.
Pokémon are out there, and you need to find them. As you walk around a neighborhood, your smartphone will vibrate when there’s a Pokémon nearby. Take aim and throw a Poké Ball… You’ll have to stay alert, or it might get away!

seems pretty spelled out to me.

Insaniac

Its a change that kinda sucks, but I will admit that when I drive, I probably glance at my phone much too often looking to see if theres a pokestop coming up than I should. Its for the better. But it really sucks for passengers / commuters.

i get what they are trying to do but this is all after the fact. it's simply absurd to have all these "features" and constantly remove/limit every freakin update.

I love the game. I've been playing every single day since launch, but this is getting ridiculous.

Like Whyyy. who the fuck is in charge of this stuff

Replicant

They should allow people to recall their Pokemon from gym if they wish to do so.

My biggest fear now that the game is ghost town is having my top Pokemon stuck in the gym, never coming back to me.

zulux21

They should allow people to recall their Pokemon from gym if they wish to do so.

My biggest fear now that the game is ghost town is having my top Pokemon stuck in the gym, never coming back to me.

if you have 10 pokemon stuck in a gym,... why would you need any top ones?

so you can move a top pokemon to a more competitive gym. I think of some of my pokemon are major and minor leaguers. you need stronger pokemon to deter stronger players in more highly competitive areas.

Replicant

For collection?

I'm not into the gym mechanics. At the most, I have one in high-level gym and when the time resets, I'll look for a volatile gym to put another one temporarily, knowing for sure mine will get knocked out in a matter of minutes. So at the most I only earn about 20 coins/day.

Growlie19

Surprise Mankey spawn after work nets me first Primeape! Nothing could ruin this perfect...

Wait, a speed limit on stops? WHYYYYYYYYYYYY?! I lost my home spawn and I can't get more items via busing? Guess I won't be playing for much longer, maybe until the first major snowfall/cold spell. RIP this game for the northern hemisphere, you had so much potential. :(

Final (?) dex stats: 117 caught, 123 seen.

Joco

Good job Niantic. Keep killing your own game. Dumbasses. Halloween event was a step forward, two steps back with the Pokestop speed cap now.

I'm done when I fill my Pokedex, which will be really soon, just need to get my MaChamp.

I don't care about Gen 2 in the slightest.

151 was my childhood.

OK, maybe I'll catch Togepi as well, but that's it!

Hycran

Banned
No way gen 2 mons are coming before legendaries and mewtwo are released.

Just hit level 30 with full NA pokedex, so I basically beat the game, just hoping to fill out the original pokedex so I can retire.

Gah

Saw a Poliwrath nearby but without a way to narrow down where it is quickly I'm not going outside =/

Saw a Vileplume nearby, again, not going outside, but luckily it was within reach from my house after my avatar stopped drifting

Now a Lapras is close by, it's in the first position but since that still doesn't seem to be consistent I'm not going to bother

At least rarer stuff is spawning nearby? Maybe they increased some spawn rates

With the Vileplume I'm at 111 now :)

Walked a Charmander to 40 candy and then realised that when I hit 125 I still won't have one with decent IVs to evolve so switched to walking my Kabuto.

jariw

I liked trying to hit Pokestops from the bus.......or even the subway when it's not in a tunnel :p

Gave me something to do

I've done so myself quite a few times, but I admit it felt unfair. With the bus, I could sometimes get 100 extra pokeballs in a couple of minutes. It breaked the balance of the game. There were never any danger of running out of Pokeballs after a bus ride. Lately, I've mainly used the bus rides for selling/evolving Pokemons, so I think I'm fine with the change.

Joni

That's unfortunate. Well.... What's the difference in someone trying to sue Niantic because they were driving and playing?
I don't even know why they would need provisions against breaking and entering in the ToS. A product doesn't allow you to do illegal stuff like driving and playing.

CassSept

It's like every time they make a change that gets a positive reaction from the community they go 'nah-uh, we can't have the playerbase too happy'. The inexplicable mishandling of this game continues to amaze me.

fisheyes

I have absolutely no problem with the prestige changes to gyms - every single gym around where I live has been locked at level 10 for weeks now as less people are playing it, and its way too difficult for them to change hands. It used to change hands all the time, but they've stagnated. Hopefully these changes mean they'll be brought down more and harder to build back up, allowing them to be brought down again.

First catch of the day is live!

Yeah it was a very pleasant surprise this morning. Also I got 3 gyms right now, awesome. Maybe I'll be able to buy an incubator the coming days.

But it's so fucking cold right now, playing is really pain. But I promised to play with a friend on the weekend. He has been to California for the last few month and he's lacking most of water pokemon and he really wants to check out what pokemon you can get around here.
I'm sure he'll have a blast since Pokemon here are the complete opposite of those in California.

PSFan

I mean i enjoyed picking up stops on the way to places, but if the car experiences were a major part of my gameplay with the game I would have quit long ago as it just isn't worth it.

If that's the case, why are you able to tell the game you are a passenger then? If they really wanted it that way, that message wouldn't be clickable and would just prevent you from playing when in a car.

Niantic is really setting themselves up to lose big time in a couple of weeks when Sun and Moon comes out. You white knights will be the only ones left playing when the rest of us move on to the new regular games.

Firemind

So according to Reddit, these are the compiled changes of the new update:

• Rival gym prestige loss: 1000 per defender, 1000 extra for the gym leader (was 500/1500). Note: a 52k+ gym will likely count as if it is 51k.
  • XP gain for gym attacking: 10% of prestige loss.
  • Friendly gym prestige gain: with R=CP_defender/CP_attacker: 250R for R>1 (capped at 500), 125R for R<1 (lower cap 50). (half the old values) For CP_attacker, the highest CP of your team of six is counted.
  • First catch of the day bonus: +500 XP in addition to the regular catch XP (This will be listed in the popup after catching) and +500 stardust or +600 startdust.
  • 7 times first catch of the day bonus: +2000 XP/+2400 stardust. Whether this is in addition to "catch of the day" or instead of remains to be seen.
  • First pokestop of the day bonus: +500 XP on top of 50 XP and +3-4 items.
  • 7 times first pokestop of the day bonus: +2000 XP, even more items. Whether this is in addition to "catch of the day" or instead of remains to be seen.
  • Pokestop speed limit: approx 60 km/h (37 mph) or approx 30 km/h or "below 46 km/h". Speed measurement likely instantaneous or average over 10-second intervals.

Goodbye, 10x defender bonus...

BowieZ

Banned
Haha. My Instinct group is in complete shambles right now. This basically makes it impossible (or close to it) to dominate areas.

I know people criticise areas being dominated but that's kinda the point of the game. A war between three teams.

Now it's going to be a lot of tiny battles between lots of different people who happen to represent arbitrary colours.

tauke

Funny how I appreciate the new gym update as I manage to spent as little as 5 mins to take down a level 3 gym and slot in my 10CP Gastly for my daily 10 coins lol.

BUT not being able to spin PokeStop while in the train sucks big time.

One step forward, ten steps backward.

Haha. My Instinct group is in complete shambles right now. This basically makes it impossible (or close to it) to dominate areas.

I know people criticise areas being dominated but that's kinda the point of the game. A war between three teams.

Now it's going to be a lot of tiny battles between lots of different people who happen to represent arbitrary colours.

yeah I likened it to a giant game of Risk...now it feels like a bunch of monkeys flinging poo at each other

edit: this also just makes bubblestrat that much more important to save potions...can't be wasting them on friendly gyms

Niantic clearly doesn't need to spend any money on more PR people since there are plenty here who happily tell us how we should play for free.

Top Bottom