• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Niantic clearly doesn't need to spend any money on more PR people since there are plenty here who happily tell us how we should play for free.

considering it doesn't seem to pay anyone to do pr anyway your sarcasm falls flat

the ones complaining are probably the people who invest the most time and money on this game...the ones NOT complaining are probably the low level trainers that have never hatched a pidgey and complain that their Pokémon can't kill a level 10 gym.

edit: not being able to hatch a pidgey would actually make that a feat...let's say, an eevee

considering it doesn't seem to pay anyone to do pr anyway your sarcasm falls flat

the ones complaining are probably the people who invest the most time and money on this game...the ones NOT complaining are probably the low level trainers that have never hatched a pidgey and complain that their Pokémon can't kill a level 10 gym.

edit: not being able to hatch a pidgey would actually make that a feat...let's say, an eevee

I have no idea what you're talking about.

GulAtiCa

I can only hope.

I am so tired of level 10 blue gyms.... so very tired... and I am a blue player in a few of them @_@
Same. As much as I benefit from being a blue player with usually 8+ gyms held a day. I miss the early days when gyms were usually in constant flux and you rarely see a gym above lv 5. I welcome gyms going down quickly. Give some much needed variety to the gym life.

Firemind

Hm. Yeah. Probably not going to spend money on this now until it stabilizes. The gyms are the game to me. I'm okay with changes since it solves gym stagnation, but doubling effectiveness of gym attackers AND halving prestige gain? Yikes. A tad much.

Same. As much as I benefit from being a blue player with usually 8+ gyms held a day. I miss the early days when gyms were usually in constant flux and you rarely see a gym above lv 5. I welcome gyms going down quickly. Give some much needed variety to the gym life.

Yep I also didn't like the last update. Too many lvl 10 gyms and before every Pokemon itself had a value because it could have been the perfect one to train. But after the update training a gym was so boring.

Flo_Evans

Hm. Yeah. Probably not going to spend money on this now until it stabilizes. The gyms are the game to me. I'm okay with changes since it solves gym stagnation, but doubling effectiveness of gym attackers AND halving prestige gain? Yikes. A tad much.

Jesus >_<

So exactly what everyone said would happen with 6 trainers happened and this is their solution?

Might as well lock the screen if you stand still for too long, right? Don't want people playing while sitting.

there are a lot of disabled people that can no longer play because they can't as a passenger in either their everyday rides, bus, or Access. Niantic basically told the disabled they can fuck off...either that or they expect people in wheelchairs to get some off road tires to drive across the grass in the park.

So I finally found a wild Bulbasaur, then my next two 2k's where Bulbas, after not getting one since the game launched. At least I'll get to evolve him quicker :/

GulAtiCa

I like the new changes to taking down gyms. Not so much boosting them up. Wish they did the reverse and made it worth more to boost up.

AdanVC

There's a new version/update of the Pokemon Go Desktop app. What it used to be the best radar available but I just installed it on two different PCs and it doesn't work on neither of those two. It simply doesn't show anything on the map. It's all blank. I think I should just give up with 3rd party scanners, it seems all of them stopped working for good :(

Just took down a lv 10 gym by myself. Goes down like butter.

This are great news! Around home I have like 5 gyms and all of them are Valor level 10. Nobody bothers on taking down gyms anymore, maybe an indicator that people has really stopped playing this or everyone on my neighborhood is team valor!. I'm mystic so I'm looking forward to take down those damn gyms once and for all. I haven't gotten pokecoins in weeks! D:

I just spent too much fucking time leveling up a gym, only for it to error me out before I could fucking finish.

I need to stop using the shit app. It's not fun, if it ever was in the first place.

Edit: Sitting still at my desk, can't spin fucking Pokestops near me. I must be sitting too fucking fast.

AdanVC

I just spent too much fucking time leveling up a gym, only for it to error me out before I could fucking finish.

I need to stop using the shit app. It's not fun, if it ever was in the first place.

Edit: Sitting still at my desk, can't spin fucking Pokestops near me. I must be sitting too fucking fast.

God damn I'm genuinely dying hahahaha!! But geez I truly understand your frustration. That's also one of the reasons I don't bother with gyms anymore. That fucking error that always appear on the most crucial moments.

Firemind

God damn I'm genuinely dying hahahaha!! But geez I truly understand your frustration. That's also one of the reasons I don't bother with gyms anymore. That fucking error that always appear on the most crucial moments.
I believe they changed the downtime from 10 minutes to 3.

jariw

Anyone else noticing a lot more "try again" pokestops while on foot since last week?

I have noticed it if I visit a pokestop and then cancel it too quickly, the pokestop can get locked in a "try again" mode. It didn't happen before last week.

Anyway, the speed change for pokestops didn't affect me hardly at all. Today, I took all pokestops on the city bus as usual, since the stops are frequent in the city. I got only one "try again" pokestop on a place where the bus drives faster continuously for a few minutes, but there are almost no pokestops on that part anyway.

Yeah, it's definitely overkill. Gyms take twice the time and twice the potions to build up now, and your reward for it all is that it gets taken down almost twice as fast. Good luck holding gyms for a day or more now.

Is this what people really wanted? I hated gyms in the first few weeks because they flipped way too much. It was nothing but mindlessly bum rushing as many low level gyms as you could and claiming a few measly coins before some other guy comes and wipes you out.

And all you needed was an attack squad, since you couldn't defend for long there wasn't a point in building a defense squad or a prestige squad for that matter. Being able to build level 10 towers and reap long term rewards gave value to a bunch of mons that weren't the A team attackers.

Really disappointing update. The daily bonuses are nice, but a drop in the bucket for higher level players.

border

When do the changes to Gym attacking and defending go into effect? We busted down a tower last night and it seemed like pretty much the normal experience.

I haven't seen any updates on the iOS store yet.

GulAtiCa

When do the changes to Gym attacking and defending go into effect? We busted down a tower last night and it seemed like pretty much the normal experience.

I haven't seen any updates on the iOS store yet.

It's live right now. I took down a lv 10 gym in like 40 minutes (It could have been 30, but I was careless with some of my attacking) like a warm knife through butter.

border

Also, couldn't you effectively get around the Pokestop speed limit by minimizing the app when travelling, and only opening it when you are close to a stop? It seems like it usually takes the game a few seconds to calibrate your speed, so you would be able to spin it before stops are disabled.

GulAtiCa

I love the change to Pokemon variety recently. For example, I just caught a Dratini, Bulbasour & a Charmander while at work. A CHARMANDER! I haven't seen one in months (minus 2k hatches). Hell, fire pokemon seem to be more common lately. Caught 2 Growlithes today, 1 yesterday and seen several vulpixs & ponytas around lately too.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I love the change to Pokemon variety recently. For example, I just caught a Dratini, Bulbasour & a Charmander while at work. A CHARMANDER! I haven't seen one in months (minus 2k hatches). Hell, fire pokemon seem to be more common lately. Caught 2 Growlithes today, 1 yesterday and seen several vulpixs & ponytas around lately too.

Yeah I finally noticed it at work today too. I still get the flood of rats and birds, but at least sometimes in between something weird spawns, like a Diglett. I also saw a Koffing and Wartortle.

I also got 2 10k's today! Saving them up and hoping I get more so I can do a mass hatch.

Yeah the variety is amazing. Really fun again because you actually have a chance to get rare Pokemon. Also I feel like there are a lot more Pokemon spawning as well. Really cool.

Hey, there's a squirtle in my home as I write this, cool.

JavyOO7

I noticed whenever you hold/spin the pokeball, the Pokémon Cp disappears. Now I'm in doubt whether this is new or if this has always been a thing.

I noticed whenever you hold/spin the pokeball, the Pokémon Cp disappears. Now I'm in doubt whether this is new or if this has always been a thing.

It dissappeared before, but now it actually takes a little bit of time to show up for every pokemon. It didn't before, I wonder why add this, or if its a bug.

Yeah, it's definitely overkill. Gyms take twice the time and twice the potions to build up now, and your reward for it all is that it gets taken down almost twice as fast. Good luck holding gyms for a day or more now.

Is this what people really wanted? I hated gyms in the first few weeks because they flipped way too much. It was nothing but mindlessly bum rushing as many low level gyms as you could and claiming a few measly coins before some other guy comes and wipes you out.

And all you needed was an attack squad, since you couldn't defend for long there wasn't a point in building a defense squad or a prestige squad for that matter. Being able to build level 10 towers and reap long term rewards gave value to a bunch of mons that weren't the A team attackers.
I'm fine with taking down high level gyms faster. It took me around an hour to take down a level 10 gym, and a lot of resources, and I'm level 30. Lower leveled players probably felt it was impossible.

What I don't get it why make it so insanely hard to level gyms. If they had cut it by 25% I think it would've been enough. 50% is overkill.

Really disappointing update. The daily bonuses are nice, but a drop in the bucket for higher level players.
My bucket receives all drops happily.

GulAtiCa

My work has 1 or 2 extra water spawn points. So my chances of getting more Dratinis went up. Just caught my 2nd Drati of the day. Hell, I'm now at 200 Dratini Candies.

Insaniac

A crazy thing happened today, not sure if Niantic intends it to work this way, but I drove to a park and walked around and all the pokestops were working!

Different note, adding Gen 2 would be a lot of fun, my pokedex is almost full and seeing new pokemon to catch would be interesting

Man, I'm actually excited to play a real session of this. I haven't played because I've been busy, but the Egg changes, Pokemon diversity and Gym prestige changes are just fantastic.

I've already made a big stink about, but the 10km Eevees were just an atrocity. The fact that their hatch rate was so high was just cruel, and I got badly screwed over.

The Gym changes really do solve stagnation. I know I'm going to lose my territory too, but I don't care too much. I had 4-5 Gyms locked down for over 2 months. This was an impressive feat, but my teams presence paled in comparison to others, especially Mystic. It's time for an even playing field.

I'm still stuck at 139, so I will still play this off and on for those last three I need. Still have to get a good Dratini to use for Dragonite. Aerodactly and Hitmonchan will be a bitch, but the 10km egg change makes life so much easier.

I'm not in a rush for Gen 2 at all, but I'll be all for it when I get everything I need!

Insaniac

I'm perfectly okay with gym prestige changes. I've got a good solid team of lower CP pokemon for training gyms, and I am very good at dodging attacks. Really the only problems are when there are pokemon with terrible counters such as snorlax or lapras.

Because you can't get 100 Coins everyday anymore? I already explained my situation.

This decision is admittedly controversial, but I'm on the supporting side.

It isn't just controversial, it's stupid. There's zero reason to attempt to build up a gym: It's hard as balls and all your work can be undone in no time.

Do one of the two: Either make it harder to build up or easier to take down. Give people incentives to do either. As it stands, unless you're working with three or four people, no one will ever train a gym again.

Because you can't get 100 Coins everyday anymore? I already explained my situation.

This decision is admittedly controversial, but I'm on the supporting side.

When did I ever get 100 coins every day? How would you even know?

Oh, I didn't actually mean to target you. It was pretty ridiculous of me to say that, but you know that people who've held 10+ gyms are the ones who really don't like this. I've long since surpassed Gold Gym Battle badge, but people who haven't achieved that yet will be bummed.

The training boost is a definitely more tedious, but training for a level 6 spot still shouldn't be too bad. The gym won't last at all, but you'll still get Coins. It even helps me with the Training badge since I'm at 377/1000 for that one.

Oh, I didn't actually mean to target you. It was pretty ridiculous of me to say that, but you know that people who've held 10+ gyms are the ones who really don't like this. I've long since surpassed Gold Gym Battle badge, but people who haven't achieved that yet will be bummed.

The training boost is a definitely more tedious, but getting to level 6 still shouldn't be too bad. It even helps me with the Training badge since I'm at 377/1000 for that one.

Niantic has been planning an update to have gyms customized. Why would that even matter now that gyms are basically trash? You go, take it and move on to the next one. Attempting to level it is absurd because you spend a lot of resources to be taken down in no time.

I'm fine with the way gyms lose prestige, it's awesome, I'd love it if it stayed that way. But reducing to 50% training? Why even botter?

Firemind

The training boost is a definitely more tedious, but training for a level 6 spot still shouldn't be too bad. The gym won't last at all, but you'll still get Coins. It even helps me with the Training badge since I'm at 377/1000 for that one.
What people are trying to say is there aren't enough incentives to do the gym game. The experience is weak and the coins are literally worth cents. It's one of the factors causing gym stagnation. It simply isn't worth the time and effort.

Their other game Ingress did a much better job at rewarding players. Once you build a high level portal, everyone on the same team benefits. In Go, it's the opposite. Once you build a lvl. 10 gym, you lock it out for other team members.

What they did here doesn't really solve the issue. People will fight gyms just because.

Their other game Ingress did a much better job at rewarding players. Once you build a high level portal, everyone on the same team benefits. In Go, it's the opposite. Once you build a lvl. 10 gym, you lock it out for other team members.

How does the "whole team benefits" work in Ingress?

Top Bottom