• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

border

The gym changes just seem like they are using a battle axe to kill a house fly.

It seems like a more elegant solution to gym stagnation would just be to have stagnant gyms start to lose prestige everyday....make the people on the gym maintain them, or lose their slots over time. Stagnant gyms then become easier targets for opposing teams.

Or you could just have gyms reset after 10 days or something. Just shake things up.

I can't help but wonder if these changes are financially motivated. Maybe they see a large portion of their player base just easily collecting 100 Pokegold per day, and bypassing the microtransactions intended to fund the game. So the solution was to make it difficult to actually hold down 10 gyms.

It's a portal. So everyone who visits the portal who are on the same team receives items as a reward.

The Ingress system sounds like a good one for the gyms in Pokemon Go.

I think your point on stagnation is still wrong, though. I don't want to go back to the old Prestige system, even though I performed decent in the meta-game. Gyms are close enough together that a high level player can still get 30 to 40 Coins during a session.

I understand some dominant players being upset about having to buy more Coins to make progress, but I think the landscape will overall be better in a lot of areas.

I can't help but wonder if these changes are financially motivated. Maybe they see a large portion of their player base just easily collecting 100 Pokegold per day, and bypassing the microtransactions intended to fund the game. So the solution was to make it difficult to actually hold down 10 gyms.

That is probably the hidden motivating factor.

Gyms should have a mechanic like that. Getting stuff from gyms (and better ones if the gym is high level) would at least make you happy to see a friendly gym.

Would be cool if the gym for your team either healed your Pokemon or perhaps had rarer Pokemon spawn near them or something similar.

Just items would make it a little too close to a Stop...although I guess that could work ok too.

Theoretically, I'd be great to be able to tap on each of the members of your team at your gym and get an item, so a max of 10.

Oxx

I was back in my hometown today, and the Poke-diversity was so much stronger.

Must have seen around 30 different mons in the wild. Even a Pikachu.

Replicant

I'm fine with reduced gym stagnation. Niantic obviously wants new player to be able to have a chance at gym and that won't be possible if building up gym is too easy and spots are taken by Level 30+ players. This way, every gym is volatile and everyone has a chance to claim 1 coin/day.

ahh if guess i see the bigger picture now. All a ploy to make it harder to get Poke Coins thus ensuring people will have a higher chance of wanting to purchase coins.

zulux21

Haha. My Instinct group is in complete shambles right now. This basically makes it impossible (or close to it) to dominate areas.

I know people criticise areas being dominated but that's kinda the point of the game. A war between three teams.

Now it's going to be a lot of tiny battles between lots of different people who happen to represent arbitrary colours.

but it isn't a war with three teams in my area.

it's blue team.
in every gym.
the only time it changes is when a blue team member uses an alt acount to hit the gym once to get their pokemon in.

otherwise it is always the same.
level 10 blue gym...
everywhere.

after the update the nearby gyms are now level 6 8 and 10 blue.
I am likely going to borrow my friends account and go murder the water tower. it was the first one to raise up to blue 10 and stay there back in late july. it is time it finally fell.

Yeah, it's definitely overkill. Gyms take twice the time and twice the potions to build up now, and your reward for it all is that it gets taken down almost twice as fast. Good luck holding gyms for a day or more now.

Is this what people really wanted? I hated gyms in the first few weeks because they flipped way too much. It was nothing but mindlessly bum rushing as many low level gyms as you could and claiming a few measly coins before some other guy comes and wipes you out.

And all you needed was an attack squad, since you couldn't defend for long there wasn't a point in building a defense squad or a prestige squad for that matter. Being able to build level 10 towers and reap long term rewards gave value to a bunch of mons that weren't the A team attackers.

Really disappointing update. The daily bonuses are nice, but a drop in the bucket for higher level players.
yes I am level 25, have spent $120 on the game, and continue to play on a daily basis, and while I like collecting each day with no effort I am loving the idea of seeing real change again.

though I will say the reduction to build up was likely a bit to much, but I am perfectly fine with it being horrible to build up for two weeks so everything dies, and then adjust it in two weeks to more like 25% off from what we had before this update instead of 50%

Flo_Evans

training gyms fucking sucks now.

Takes too long to pick team (seriously we can't just have a simple "use previous team" button?) finding six guys half CP of the defenders with type advantage is a nightmare. You can't even see who is already in your team, resulting in accidentally swapping the wrong guy, resulting in NO PRESTIGE FOR YOU! when you accidentally leave a high CP mon on the team.

Crap prestige gain. 2x the effort of an already tedious process? uhhh no thanks

on top of GPS errors and generally buggy shit I am really finding the motivation to get gyms lacking now. I've pretty much hatched everything that can be hatched. I'm pretty close to 30 so no need for lucky eggs. (also one of the most tedious and dumb things...)

I can understand the poketsop spinning speed limit, its probably for the best but screws over people on public transportation.

But gyms are fucked now. No reason to power up guys anymore, no reason to coordinate IRL team members to place strategic mons in gyms... going to be smash and grab time again.

Complistic

So for anyone on Android looking for a tracker replacement I can not recommend Venn tracker enough. I just spent a couple hours this afternoon mapping spawn points and triangulating Pokemon. I honestly like this system more than the footprints.

So for anyone on Android looking for a tracker replacement I can not recommend Venn tracker enough. I just spent a couple hours this afternoon mapping spawn points and triangulating Pokemon. I honestly like this system more than the footprints.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll be sure to map my park when I go out tomorrow night.

zroid

Banned
tfw there's a Muk nearby but your phone's almost out of battery and you have to guess that it's either north or south... and you guess wrong

JavyOO7

Ah, hey. Look at that.

Trainers,

We are excited to let you know that the new daily bonus feature is rolling out right now. The daily bonuses reward you with XP and Stardust for your first catch of the day, and XP and extra items for your first Photo Disc spin of the day at a PokéStop. You’ll get an even bigger bonus if you complete these actions seven days in a row!

To celebrate this feature, from November 7th to November 11th, you’ll find more Pokémon out in the world. Moreover, PokéStops will grant more items! Yes — this means more Great Balls, and for Trainers that are level 20 and above — more Ultra Balls!

Take advantage of it while you can and explore your neighborhoods with Pokémon GO!

http://pokemongolive.com/en/post/daily-bonus-bonus/

edit - Usually a consistent 5-6 Pokemon in my apartment complex. Its been a solid 9 for the past few hours. You better believe I'll take advantage of this after I finish my exam on Thursday. =p

How the apartment complex looks right now.

m1gRctH.png
[/IMG]

Meanwhile I continue to be getting the same shit I've been seeing since launch, with LESS general diversity and near non-existant noteworthy spawns.

The fuck?

So... Every time I've left the app open with my phone just sitting next to me, Pokémon have stopped spawning or appearing on my nearby/sightings until I mess around with it a bit, or even restart... I sincerely hope this:

Might as well lock the screen if you stand still for too long, right? Don't want people playing while sitting.

isn't now basically a thing...

BowieZ

Banned
The gym system is now totally fucked.

I don't understand the long-term purpose of playing this "game" if the teams are worthless.

Why are we trying to take over gyms? Why are we trying to collect coins? Why are we trying to hatch eggs and catch Pokemon and evolve and power them up?

...if not to try and be the ultimate Gym Leader? And to help your team dominate your area?

What is the fucking point??

I've completely lost a bunch of friends because of this change. Not so much "lost" them, but we've all lost the motivation to hang out two or three times a week to raid gyms... our group chat has died.

:,(

The Pokemon variety right now is amazing.

Seeing stuff like Geodude, Machop and Charmander which were near nonexistent before, and after having 9 Pikachu since launch just caught 3 in 30 minutes (at 49 candy now so just waiting for one more to pop up!).

Now I just need them to bump up Grimer, Omanyte and Kabuto spawns...

border

It's hard to imagine how these changes will pan out because everyone's experience with the game tends to differ. Plenty of people here claim it's a daily fight to hold down gyms, whereas I've been able to hold 10+ gyms for weeks at a time. There's a popular post on Silph Road Reddit by a Japanese user who claims that his whole neighborhood was turned upside down within hours of the update going live. At the same time, I only lost 1 gym slot today and it was very obviously sniped by one of my fellow Valor team members who used a friend or alt account to drop my gym down to 9, then raised it up to 10 again to drop in his pokemon.

MANUELF

Banned
Niantic changed the spawn points but now two pokemon appear at my house each hour so Im okay with that and yeat I saw the Pokestop items increase, got 6+ each time

Hey, with the new update the game didn't work on my (android) phone. I got a message saying "unable to extract II2C data", or something like that.
I uninstalled it, but if I try to get it from the Playstore I get a 403 error.
I can install other software from the Playstore without problems.
Does anyone else have this issue?

MANUELF

Banned
Cucurbitacée;223512211 said:
Hey, with the new update the game didn't work on my (android) phone. I got a message saying "unable to extract II2C data", or something like that.
I uninstalled it, but if I try to get it from the Playstore I get a 403 error.
I can install other software from the Playstore without problems.
Does anyone else have this issue?

rooted?

Insaniac

the double items is ridiculous. I may be dumping some more coins to max out my bag space before this ends. the increased spawns are also hilariously great. Finally evolved my 4th victreebel and got razorleaf/solar beam so I can finally rest on that.

the double items is ridiculous. I may be dumping some more coins to max out my bag space before this ends. the increased spawns are also hilariously great. Finally evolved my 4th victreebel and got razorleaf/solar beam so I can finally rest on that.

Meanwhile I still am at like 50 Bellsprout candy... That's actually a good example of how apparently my area got fucked while everyone is talking about increased variety in spawns - Bellsprout were briefly semi-common in my neighborhood, before the Halloween event and the spawn changes that occurred after it ended. That's how I got all of my Bellsprout candy. Now I've seen literally 1 (and I couldn't find it).

Spoit

Anyone have any iOS suggestions?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
This new update has made it possible for me to enjoy Pokemon Go in my town! Of course, no pokestops is still an issue, but the whole explosive spawn thing is AMAZING fun.

Firemind

Okay. After a night's pondering, I think I found a strategy.

Since stops now give double items, I've been stocking on potions since yesterday. As I needed to get rid of them, rather than find fellow gyms and train them, I diverted all my efforts to Valor gyms since they're the dominant team in my immediate area. There are about 7-8 lvl. 10 Valor gyms and I already took two of them down to lvl. 1 before my battery died. My reasoning for not clearing and claiming them is 1) I can already claim the maximum daily bonus and 2) Valor won't antagonize me and take down my lvl. 10 gyms since they don't know who did it. With some luck, Mystic will beat the remaining Pokemon, claim it, which will in turn spark action from Valor to take back their gyms again. Hopefully it will go back and forth for a while.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This was the bus stop at university this morning. Yesterday evening it looked similar. What is going on here lol

CwvIxUzWQAARQcw.jpg

This is what I have now at work as well. I have at least 10 mons (mostly trash) spawning all the time! I'll post a screen when I get home.

Top Bottom