• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Axis

Echoes said:
Metroid Killer, Axis; thank you very very much for everything :D As much as I love the game; I love it even MORE now that I got all these awesome Pokemons.

The game would have never been the same without the awesomeness of you guys. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart *cries*

On another note, I found it funny when I put Snorlax as the lead and he started following me. Never thought of the day in which I'd see Snorlax run :lol

anytime

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Harpuia said:
Alright, which of the Battle facilities in battle frontier is the best way to earn BP? And will I be able to go in and do good with just pokemon with good moves, or will I need to ev train them?
You'll need an EV trained team to get far in most facilities (50+ wins). You can probably at least beat Palmer's first encounter in the Tower (21 wins) with an untrained team if you have the right moves. That is probably good enough for BP grinding, as you get 20 BP every time you defeat one of the brains.

My recommendation would be to play the Battle Factory until you either (1) have enough BP to buy all 6 Power Items, (2) earn the colored print (49 consecutive wins), or (3) just get sick of losing, whichever of those comes first. In the Factory, you use nothing but pre-trained rental Pokemon, so you don't have to do any work in raising them and you get to experiment with a lot of different movesets as you play. Afterward, just buy as many of the Power Items that you can to make training your own Pokemon much easier, then feel free to tackle the other facilities.

If you want some ideas for good Battle Frontier teams, Smogon has a records thread for it.

FootNinja said:
He's definitely my pick for best follow. Him, krabby and diglett
Krabby is my personal favorite as well. I had a huge grin on my face the first time he was walking behind me.

And thanks to you to Echoes and Axis. As you said it is indeed awesome how helpful people are here, and it makes the experience so much better. It's actually why I wanted to do the item giveaway so I could be as generous as others have been to me.

Axis

i've never really battled before so i'm totally apprehensive about entering the tournament...i hate losing and i love competition

anyone willing to battle a few times this week for practice?(i'll need it)

Metroid Killer said:
And thanks to you to Echoes and Axis. As you said it is indeed awesome how helpful people are here, and it makes the experience so much better. It's actually why I wanted to do the item giveaway so I could be as generous as others have been to me.

welcome, as well

Sixfortyfive

Axis said:
I'm around right now if you'd like to play. Tell me how serious of a team I should use. I don't go super-serious (i.e. carefully constructed all-out OU teams). I mostly stick to Pokemon I like and/or gimmick strategies.

Axis said:
Actually I'm in the same situation, never battled before, haven't done any EV training yet, so I'm defintely in need for some training as well.

(though I don't have time to battle today)

Echoes

Yeah I would love to casually battle anyone. Just e-mail me or PM me. I prefer e-mail since I check 'em with my BlackBerry anywhere anytime.

Sixfortyfive, you may have missed my post before, but do you have any good spot for HP/Def EV training in HG/SS?

Sixfortyfive

Nah, I haven't looked for any more EV routes. I did train one of my guys in HP already but I never found an optimal spot for it. Had to run away from a lot of unwanted encounters.

I think there's a guide up on GameFAQs for this stuff now but I don't know how thorough it is.

faridmon

eosos said:
Good news! After posting that comment I bought a DS Lite on eBay for $90. It was only used twice so I'm happy :D. At one point I had a DS phat. I got it at launch. After about a year the hinge broke and I never wanted to play a DS again... until now.
good job there. make sure you play lots of pokamnz.

Axis

Sixfortyfive said:
I'm around right now if you'd like to play. Tell me how serious of a team I should use. I don't go super-serious (i.e. carefully constructed all-out OU teams). I mostly stick to Pokemon I like and/or gimmick strategies.

About to get some sleep(finally!). Send me a pm whenever you want and if i'm around we'll definitely battle.

cvxfreak

I tried trading with myself between Diamond and SS but for some reason the games would not detect each other's presence in spite of both being in the Union Room...

Delio

I'm currently preparing teams for the tournament but i have to ask. How do people get the Rotom forms to work online? Is it some code?

Sixfortyfive

Delio said:
I'm currently preparing teams for the tournament but i have to ask. How do people get the Rotom forms to work online? Is it some code?
They can probably only be used online with AR, and I assume things would fuck up if one of the players was using Diamond or Pearl.

I *think* they can be used normally in local versus, but I haven't checked.

fisheyes

Those Pokewalkers are tough little buggers. I accidentally left it in my pocket, which went through the washing machine and then through the drier. It survived, and got me a fair few watts, too.

Delio

Sixfortyfive said:
They can probably only be used online with AR, and I assume things would fuck up if one of the players was using Diamond or Pearl.

I *think* they can be used normally in local versus, but I haven't checked.

Really to bad as i would love to use the forms. Could really help check a few threats on my teams.

fisheyes said:
Those Pokewalkers are tough little buggers. I accidentally left it in my pocket, which went through the washing machine and then through the drier. It survived, and got me a fair few watts, too.
This is actually how they came up with the Pokewalker.

Ishihara:As both my wife and I have dogs, we bought two Activity Meters and went out for walks with them attached to the dogs' collars. But one day, I managed to drop one. (laughs) Then around a month later, I was walking the dog as usual when I saw this black, muddy object lying stuck in a puddle…

Iwata:Surely it couldn’t have been…! (laughs)

Ishihara:That’s what I thought: “Surely it can’t be…” (laughs) I thought I must have dropped it somewhere like this, but a whole month had passed so naturally I’d given up on it. When I picked it up and wiped the mud off it, I saw that the red LED was flashing. I thought “Wow!” and brought it back home. When I connected it to the DS, I realised that it was the one that had been attached to Pocky. Oh, I should explain that Pocky is the name of one of my dogs! (laughs)

Iwata:We wouldn’t have been able to reach this point. Actually, while the Activity Meter for Nintendo DS isn’t the sort of item that was built to withstand being dropped in the bath or put in the washing machine, you can put it in your pocket and it will withstand sweat. As we wanted to ensure that it was splashproof and could withstand these kinds of everyday conditions, we changed its shape a number of times right at the end to improve its ability to withstand water. It was precisely because it had gone through these kinds of tests that Ishihara-san’s dog Pocky's Activity Meter was able to survive one month out in the rain. (laughs) If the Activity Meter hadn’t still been working, it’s possible that you wouldn't have been struck with the inspiration to use it in Pokémon.
Haha at the bolded part!

OMG Aero

Jet Grind Radio! said:
I think I'm really disappointed with the music for the towns. I was hoping for new music for every one, but most have the same eerie music.
I'm pretty sure it was like that in the originals though, and they decided to remake all the music instead of making new songs for each area.

OMG Aero said:
I'm pretty sure it was like that in the originals though, and they decided to remake all the music instead of making new songs for each area.
Doesn't mean I'm not still disappointed. >_>

Also the Pokémon Ranch Mew, can that be traded to Diamond/Pearl?

Sixfortyfive

So, I scoured the entire world map with all 8 HMs and the Itemfinder in tow every step of the way, and I have the following to show for it: 21 Nuggets, 6 Big Pearls, 11 Stardusts, 4 Star Pieces, 9 Ethers, 9 Max Ethers, 9 Elixers, 9 Max Elixirs, 20 Rare Candies, 14 PP Ups, 3 PP Maxes, and a whole bunch of other shit totaling 15 pages for the first Item pocket.

71 hours logged so far. >_>

Double D

So I finally got Soul Silver this weekend. Diamond/Pearl were actually my first pokemon games so everything about this is pretty much brand new to me. Picked Cyndaquil from the start, and I just beat the GoldenRod City Gym.

I feel like I had a pretty unstoppable team playing D/P, but I can't seem to match that with SS. I've got a Quilava and a Pidgeotto as my main 2, but I can't figure out who to support them with. I've got a mid-teens Onix, Ekans, and Bellsprout that are ok, but nothing like I'd really want to keep.

Also, I've assigned Cut and Rock smash to Sentret and Wooper respectively, but I feel like that's not really working out for me. So, what do you guys recommend? Any help with a good squad and advice for HM slaves would be great.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
matrix-cat said:
That whore of a Miltank changed her strategy this time through. In GSC she'd always Rollout my whole team to death; I never ever saw it miss and I'm sure she was cheating. In Soul Silver she never used Rollout against me, instead she kept using Stomp and I seemed to be flinching every single time.
Same. I was so prepared for a rollout match and then BAM stomped in the ghoulies. The only appropriate response was a Glasgow kiss in the udders.

Sixfortyfive

Vik_Vaughn said:
So I finally got Soul Silver this weekend. Diamond/Pearl were actually my first pokemon games so everything about this is pretty much brand new to me. Picked Cyndaquil from the start, and I just beat the GoldenRod City Gym.

I feel like I had a pretty unstoppable team playing D/P, but I can't seem to match that with SS. I've got a Quilava and a Pidgeotto as my main 2, but I can't figure out who to support them with. I've got a mid-teens Onix, Ekans, and Bellsprout that are ok, but nothing like I'd really want to keep.

Also, I've assigned Cut and Rock smash to Sentret and Wooper respectively, but I feel like that's not really working out for me. So, what do you guys recommend? Any help with a good squad and advice for HM slaves would be great.
One of the nice things about DPPt was that some of the common early Pokemon were pretty much designed to be extremely useful throughout the game. Each of the starters had good dual-typing and moves, Bidoof was the mother of all HM slaves, and Starly was Super Pidgey in every conceivable way.

HGSS doesn't seem to have that, but I would recommend keeping the Togepi you get from the Mystery Egg. It starts with a strong Psychic move and eventually evolves into a pretty good special attacker + Fly user. The Red Gyarados at the Lake of Rage is probably the go-to water type for this game (and an easy choice for Waterfall + maybe Whirlpool), though you don't get to that point until fairly late in the Johto quest. Can't help you for HM slaves in general, as I didn't use any this time and just split them evenly between my full team. (Cyndaquil doesn't learn very many useful moves via level-up, btw. I gave him both Strength and Rock Climb after evolving.)

Vik_Vaughn said:

I'd say switch out Ekans with an electric type. Especially since Bellsprout is Grass/Poison. I personally use Rattata instead of Sentret and with Bite, Crunch and Rock Smash he's formidible

upandaway

Vik_Vaughn said:

Wooper is actually pretty good as a defensive Pokemon, so you might wanna catch a new one for your team without the HM. Then you get both water and ground covered.
If you evolve Onix, he's okay too. Bellsprout when it fully evolves is great but you need to teach it most of its moves by yourself.

Then you can also choose an Eevee evolution that fits the rest of your team, and that's 6. Can't really say anything else besides switch them with other Pokemon should you not like them.

Salaadin

Sixfortyfive said:
So, I scoured the entire world map with all 8 HMs and the Itemfinder in tow every step of the way, and I have the following to show for it: 21 Nuggets, 6 Big Pearls, 11 Stardusts, 4 Star Pieces, 9 Ethers, 9 Max Ethers, 9 Elixers, 9 Max Elixirs, 20 Rare Candies, 14 PP Ups, 3 PP Maxes, and a whole bunch of other shit totaling 15 pages for the first Item pocket.

71 hours logged so far. >_>

Thats amazing. Great job. SOme of you guys are so patient :lol

Im at 43 hours so far and just beat the E4 for the first time. Its so hard to believe that I still have 8 badges, the E4 again, and the final boss to do yet. This is why I loved Gold so much back in the day. Its like it never ends.

They should do a pokemon game that spans all of the regions.

joelseph

cvxfreak said:
I tried trading with myself between Diamond and SS but for some reason the games would not detect each other's presence in spite of both being in the Union Room...

I had the same problem. Turns out I had the DSi wireless turned off.

Salaadin

Jet Grind Radio! said:
I was going to ask about a good Flying Pokémon that had a dual type. I'm using Murkow and I love him, but I may go with the evolved Togepi.

My Honchkrow has done good things for me. I like him. Togekiss is too awesome as well. He was my main flying in Platinum. That thing is a tank.

Sixfortyfive

Salaadin said:
Im at 43 hours so far and just beat the E4 for the first time. Its so hard to believe that I still have 8 badges, the E4 again, and the final boss to do yet. This is why I loved Gold so much back in the day. Its like it never ends.
I'm honestly glad that Kanto goes by as quickly as it does. By the time I got to the 12th and 13th and 14th gym leader etc it was just starting to wear me down.

Probably going to rematch each of the gym leaders once, then tackle the E4 again, then take care of Red. At that point I'm pretty much done with everything besides daily events, Pokeathlon, and the Battle Frontier. EDIT: And legendary hunting. That comes dead last.

upandaway

Jet Grind Radio! said:
I was going to ask about a good Flying Pokémon that had a dual type.
Actually there's not a single flying type that is solo flying, except for Arceus. Something that should change next gen.

Edit: Six, not gonna max your Trainer Card (as in, catch them all again and all that)?

Salaadin

Sixfortyfive said:
I'm honestly glad that Kanto goes by as quickly as it does. By the time I got to the 12th and 13th and 14th gym leader etc it was just starting to wear me down.

Probably going to rematch each of the gym leaders once, then tackle the E4 again, then take care of Red. At that point I'm pretty much done with everything besides daily events, Pokeathlon, and the Battle Frontier. EDIT: And legendary hunting. That comes dead last.

Pokeathlon is fun. I was glad to see the ability to link up against friends for that. Theyre cool little mini games.

I need to get something with Mean Look for catching Entei, Raikou, and Suicune. I used Misdreavus when I first played Gold and will probably do the same again. I dont even remember where she appears.

If I evolve a shiny pokemon, is it still shiny? Basically, will my shiny Golbat evolve into a shiny Crobat?

Double D

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll definitely start using Togepi after all the praise it's getting. I forgot that I've got a bunch of Evees in my copy of platinum, so I guess I can just transfer one over to even out my team.

Johann

Salaadin said:
If I evolve a shiny pokemon, is it still shiny? Basically, will my shiny Golbat evolve into a shiny Crobat?

Yes, shiny Pokemon will turn into the shiny version of their later evolutions. Do be careful if you enjoy the look of a shiny Pokemon at a certain stage. I had a beautiful purple Dragonair that ended up as a puke green Dragonite.

Salaadin said:
I need to get something with Mean Look for catching Entei, Raikou, and Suicune. I used Misdreavus when I first played Gold and will probably do the same again. I dont even remember where she appears.

For the roaming legendaries I also recommend getting some Speed Balls, you get them by giving white apricorns to the old guy in the town where slowpoke well is.

And yes a Shiny will stay shiny when evolving.

Sixfortyfive

Something I've been wondering: There's a guy in Cianwood who gives you a Shuckle to take care of temporarily. Eventually, he'll take it back from you (I think after Team Rocket is defeated), but I'm wondering if there's anything more to it than this. When I gave it back to him, he just said something about Pokemon happiness and nothing else. I'm wondering if he gives you some kind of reward if you actually use the Shuckle in battle and raise its happiness stats before giving it back, as I just kept it in the PC the entire time I had it.

upandaway

Sixfortyfive said:
Something I've been wondering: There's a guy in Cianwood who gives you a Shuckle to take care of temporarily. Eventually, he'll take it back from you (I think after Team Rocket is defeated), but I'm wondering if there's anything more to it than this. When I gave it back to him, he just said something about Pokemon happiness and nothing else. I'm wondering if he gives you some kind of reward if you actually use the Shuckle in battle and raise its happiness stats before giving it back, as I just kept it in the PC the entire time I had it.
Huh.. something to keep in mind when I get back to my Silver. I'll stock up on vitamins.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Salaadin said:
My Honchkrow has done good things for me. I like him. Togekiss is too awesome as well. He was my main flying in Platinum. That thing is a tank.
I posted earlier that my Murkrow has been my MVP so far in this game. Wing Attack crushed hte Miltank gym battle, Night Shade crushed the Steelix gym battle, and just generally speaking I've been able to switch it in and take care of pretty much anything I've had trouble with.

I think I'm going to level mine to 35 to get Faint Attack (to use instead of Pursuit), then use the Dusk Stone to evolve to Murkrow.

Salaadin

Johann said:
Yes, shiny Pokemon will turn into the shiny version of their later evolutions. Do be careful if you enjoy the look of a shiny Pokemon at a certain stage. I had a beautiful purple Dragonair that ended up as a puke green Dragonite.

I like the green golbat but I think the pink crobat is even nicer. I see he can learn Mean Look so Ill be using him for catching the roamers.

Its so corny but hes my first shiny so I want to use him for stuff. This guy will now be forever traded to any pokemon game Im currently playing. Im stuck with a Golbat for the rest of my life :D

Metroid Killer said:
For the roaming legendaries I also recommend getting some Speed Balls, you get them by giving white apricorns to the old guy in the town where slowpoke well is.

And yes a Shiny will stay shiny when evolving.

Thanks, Ill do that. Im so stocked up on apricorns right now.

Sixfortyfive

Metroid Killer said:
I don't think he'll give you anything. There was another guy that traded me his spearow and asked me to give it to his friend... didn't give me anything for it :(
Nah, that guy gave me a TM. Pretty sure it was a TM. I got something from it, anyway.

Salaadin

Sixfortyfive said:
Nah, that guy gave me a TM. Pretty sure it was a TM. I got something from it, anyway.

The only thing I remember from that is the funny letter attached to the Spearow. Something about being afraid of Zubat :lol

Willxc123

When you finish that spearow sidequest, dont you get the TM rest? I think thats what I got if i recall correctly. Also, MetroidKiller you are the man, thank you so much

Top Bottom