• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Echoes

Menmanelf said:
A while from beating red yet, so trying to get the 4/6 I won't be able to get. So really any would be good if possible.
Just give me 10 to 15 minutes, I'm breeding all of them for you.

Yottamole

Banned
Salaadin said:
I just saw my first shiny ever in all these years of playing pokemon. A green golbat in victory road. Caught him.
First time I saw a shiny was in Slowpoke Well, a Zubat in the original Silver game. First I thought it was some special event thing so I killed it, reset the game and bought lots of Pokeballs and went back to the place so that I could try to catch it, and never encountered another shiny again...

TestOfTide said:
So I have been thinking of making a pokemon focused on getting critical hits and I haven't been able to find on serebii the answer to some things, so I figured would ask here:

1) what are exact odds of a critical hit for normal attacks?

2) what are those odds for high-crit attacks like slash and psycho cut?

3) how much does focus energy increase those odds?

4) how much does Super Luck increase those odds?

5) how much does scope lens increase those odds?

Basically, there is a tier chart.

Tier 0: 1/16
Tier 1: 1/8
Tier 2: 1/4
Tier 3: 1/3
Tier 4: 1/2

High-crit moves or Scope lens move you up 1 tier. So does Super Luck. (this is stackable!)
Focus energy moves you up 2 tiers. The highest you could do is Tier 5 as that would require Super Luck, Scope Lens, a high crit move, and a focus energy move. But Tier 2 is really the sweet spot for odds as you have to make sacrifices to go with focus energy and a Super Luck ability pokemon.

(This is why Drapion is typically called "crithax" in some configs, because Sniper guarantees 3x damage, and you can use moves/scope lens to hit Tier 2.)

Pre-edit: This place is pretty much where I learned the system from a gen or two ago.

Crazymoogle said:
Basically, there is a tier chart.

Tier 0: 1/16
Tier 1: 1/8
Tier 2: 1/4
Tier 3: 1/3
Tier 4: 1/2

High-crit moves or Scope lens move you up 1 tier. So does Super Luck. (this is stackable!)
Focus energy moves you up 2 tiers. The highest you could do is Tier 5 as that would require Super Luck, Scope Lens, a high crit move, and a focus energy move. But Tier 2 is really the sweet spot for odds as you have to make sacrifices to go with focus energy and a Super Luck ability pokemon.

(This is why Drapion is typically called "crithax" in some configs, because Sniper guarantees 3x damage, and you can use moves/scope lens to hit Tier 2.)

Pre-edit: This place is pretty much where I learned the system from a gen or two ago.
This is kind of cool. Apparently, there's a Farfetch'd build out there that can get above 50% critical hit ratio, but it requires some skill swap shenanigans.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
btkadams said:
it uses the last chosen route.

Ah, interesting. Never knew that. I guess I could stop having it be a "Furretwalker" now, but I kinda like how Furret looks in the Pokewalker. So happy and dancing whenever I check my steps. :lol

I really gotta get a Jigglypuff/Magby/Elekid from the Walker but 10K steps a day for myself is crazy insane. :(

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Echoes, I'm gonna be heading online after I get your FC

Soul Silver Friend code: 0689 7478 1629

If you had any spare poke with pokerus I would appreciate it like the dickens :p

TheSeks said:
Ah, interesting. Never knew that. I guess I could stop having it be a "Furretwalker" now, but I kinda like how Furret looks in the Pokewalker. So happy and dancing whenever I check my steps. :lol

I really gotta get a Jigglypuff/Magby/Elekid from the Walker but 10K steps a day for myself is crazy insane. :(
Really? It's not hard for me at all. Especially at work. I just put it in my pocket, and basically do my usual bookstore stuff. And when I check it I have a good number of watts and steps. In fact, I have 18K right now.

Echoes

Menmanelf, I got you Charmander, Bulbasaur and Mudkip. Will breed you a Treecko later when I transer Sceptile from Platinum.

I'm in, FC 4984 7134 0994

Edit: FootNinja, just bring another Poke for the PKRS-infected :D EDIT: Sorry! the one Poke I'll transfer will be infected. No need for two!

TheSeks

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Really? It's not hard for me at all. Especially at work. I just put it in my pocket, and basically do my usual bookstore stuff. And when I check it I have a good number of watts and steps. In fact, I have 18K right now.

I don't walk very far in my day-to-day, or if I'm going somewhere I drive. Yay, rural. :lol

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Echoes said:
Menmanelf, I got you Charmander, Bulbasaur and Mudkip. Will breed you a Treecko later when I transer Sceptile from Platinum.

I'm in, FC 4984 7134 0994

Edit: FootNinja, just bring another Poke for the PKRS-infected :D EDIT: Sorry! the one Poke I'll transfer will be infected. No need for two!
online now

Harpuia

Alright, which of the Battle facilities in battle frontier is the best way to earn BP? And will I be able to go in and do good with just pokemon with good moves, or will I need to ev train them?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Firestorm said:
Why are there Zubats in Slowpoke well. I want a Slowpoke. If I wanted Zubats, I'd go to Zubat Cave or something.
I'm sure you know this, and I am reading too much into the comment, but you have to surf for the pokes.

btw Thanks echoes!

Echoes

Guardian Bob said:
Anyone want to trade something? I have 3rd and 4th gen pokemon, and anything 1st or 2nd gen would be good. (bulbasaur? :D )

FC = 2800 1866 9407
I will breed you Charmander, Bulbasaur and Cyndaquil. Give me 10~15 minutes. Give me any starters you want. FC 4984 7134 0994

Menmanelf and FootNinja, thanks a lot! :D

Echoes said:
I will breed you Charmander, Bulbasaur and Cyndaquil. Give me 10~15 minutes. Give me any starters you want. FC 4984 7134 0994

Menmanelf and FootNinja, thanks a lot! :D

Ok sounds good! Any preference?

PS: where do we meet? I haven't done this in a while. Oh, and do you need your name with your friend code?

Chorazin

Maaaan, I connected to so many Pokewalkers at PAX East over this weekend. That little gadget was pretty much the unofficial handshake of the con!

TheSeks

Harpuia said:
Alright, which of the Battle facilities in battle frontier is the best way to earn BP? And will I be able to go in and do good with just pokemon with good moves, or will I need to ev train them?

The Battle Tower if you have a good team is an easy way to get BP.

I like the Battle Factory, no need to have a good team but it's hard to win if you don't know what you're doing with the random selections.

Echoes

Guardian Bob said:
Ok sounds good! Any preference?

PS: where do we meet? I haven't done this in a while.
Turtwig is cool. The others can be anything.

Go down the stairsin any Poke-center and talk to the lady in the middle.

Edit: you can put any name. In GAF I'm Echoes, In-game I'm Mega :D

Axis

Alright I have some egg move pokemon I don't need anymore...as I have wayyyy too many.

bagon - dragon dance/hydro pump/fire fang

larvitar(have adamant/jolly natures) & dratini - dragon dance

togepi - nasty plot

scyther - substitute/swords dance/baton pass

also have 4 extra aerodactyls, some random ralts from trying to get the right synchronized nature and like 2 dragon dance charmanders(and some flamethrower/dragon claw charmanders)

would rather give them away than release them!

Axis

Echoes said:
Axis. Is it too much to give me one of each? Or do you only have one of each?

i have a few of each at least so it's not a problem

if you want any specific nature/sex just pm me the details!

Captain N

JADS said:
My FC is 3610 0246 2986, what is yours? I have a Chikorita and Cyndaquil waiting for you. We will need to turn off the microphone when trading, you can do that by pressing X in the Connected friends screen.

thanks a lot!! 2751 3518 9997

just let me know when your ready to trade

Echoes said:
Turtwig is cool. The others can be anything.

Go down the stairsin any Poke-center and talk to the lady in the middle.

Edit: you can put any name. In GAF I'm Echoes, In-game I'm Mega :D

Ok, i'll wait in that room?

Echoes

Cool. Don't have any specific natures; you're better than me in this so give me whatever you feel is good.

So it is as follow;

Bagon
Larvitar
Dratini
Togepi (with Serene Grace if possible)
Scyther
DD Char
FT/DF Char

That's a lot. Wow. Thanks man. Do you want anything in return?

Edit: Guardian Bob, wait for me in there, I'm waiting for Cynda's egg. 5 minutes at most.

Echoes said:
Cool. Don't have any specific natures; you're better than me in this so give me whatever you feel is good.

So it is as follow;

Bagon
Larvitar
Dratini
Togepi (with Serene Grace if possible)
Scyther
DD Char
FT/DF Char

That's a lot. Wow. Thanks man. Do you want anything in return?

Edit: Guardian Bob, wait for me in there, I'm waiting for Cynda's egg. 5 minutes at most.

Sorry, FC changed! Had to sync to my newer ds. FC = 2837 2512 5965
I'm in the room. Am I suppose to see my friends names on the bottom screen?

vid

Updating Pokewalker Status...

Week 1:
Day 1 - March 14 - 10,139 Steps
Day 2 - March 15 - 8,761 Steps
Day 3 - March 16 - 6,642 Steps
Day 4 - March 17 - 10,817 Steps
Day 5 - March 18 - 6,921 Steps
Day 6 - March 19 - 9,871 Steps
Day 7 - March 20 - 7,608 Steps
Week Total: 60,759
Steps To Date: 60,759

Week 2:
Day 8 - 3,775
Day 9 - 13,260
Day 10 - 4,620
Day 11 - 9,634
Day 12 - 6,349
Day 13 - 6,993
Day 14 - 4,333
Week Total: 48,964
Steps To Date: 109,723

Firestorm

FootNinja said:
I'm sure you know this, and I am reading too much into the comment, but you have to surf for the pokes.

btw Thanks echoes!
But I don't have Surf :( I couldn't remember if there were Slowpokes here in the cave or not. Guess I better leave.

Axis

Firestorm said:
But I don't have Surf :( I couldn't remember if there were Slowpokes here in the cave or not. Guess I better leave.

they should be in there...it's where i caught mine on my first trip to the slowpoke well...so just keep trying

Echoes

Guardian Bob said:
Thanks Echoes! :D
You too :D

I wonder, is there a way to re-battle Red? Would be a cool way to stack EXP aside from the Gym rematches and the E4.

All I'm missing now is a handy guide for EV training in HG/SS.

Firestorm

So Prof. Elm just phoned me telling me how the egg I had hatched. How the hell did he know? Creepy old man is spying on me. More as it develops.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I beat Whitney first time round. Took a bit bit of a beating as my moves didn't take too much damage off of her so her milk drink would usually recover back what little damage I did.

Most of the match involved me being too much in love to attack and her being paralysed so unable to attack. Fun times.

I found that my team of crummy Pokes I'd never used before was getting wrecked by every Gyarados I came across, so I decided to get me a Magneton. The first one I caught in the Safari Zone turned out to have 29-31 HP, Special Attack and Speed IVs, which is pretty much the best thing ever. Unfortunately it has what could be a zero IV in Defence and it's nature is Mild (SpA up, Defence down). So, I'm hoping it's faster than Lance's Gyarados when I take on the Elite 4, because either it goes first and obliterates Gyarados with Discharge, or it doesn't and Gyarados obliterates it with Earthquake :lol

Why, oh why, does Magneton, a Pokemon with a 4x weakness to Ground that, y'know, actually levitates, not get Levitate as an ability?

BGBW said:
Well I beat Whitney first time round. Took a bit bit of a beating as my moves didn't take too much damage off of her so her milk drink would usually recover back what little damage I did.

That whore of a Miltank changed her strategy this time through. In GSC she'd always Rollout my whole team to death; I never ever saw it miss and I'm sure she was cheating. In Soul Silver she never used Rollout against me, instead she kept using Stomp and I seemed to be flinching every single time.

OMG Aero

matrix-cat said:
Why, oh why, does Magneton, a Pokemon with a 4x weakness to Ground that, y'know, actually levitates, not get Levitate as an ability?
Probably because it would make Magnezone a bit too good. You can teach it Magnet Rise to do the same thing though.

Also, Miltank hardly used rollout on me at all this game, her strategy this time was using attract and stomp to hit my Pokemon and using milk drink whenever I took away 1/4 of her HP. I had to stack 6 smokescreens from Cyndaquil, paralyse it with Flaafy and confuse it Zubat in order to beat her. And even then I had to to wait for her to waste all 10 of her Milk Drinks and use up a super potion.

Combined with Miltank's high HP and defence it took me, like, 20 minutes to beat one Pokemon.

Brutal stalemate for me in the 3rd badge fight.

Linoone vs. Gengar =_=

Gengar leads off with...Mean Look.

Pretty much had to wait for Gengar to struggle itself to death, but of course the trainer kept trying to helpfully give it Hyper Potions. :lol Linoone was absurdly well rested by the time things were done (I'd guess 3/4ths of all his turns were asleep.)

Also, just for anyone still curious...the DSi XL has been great so far. It really doesn't look it from a distance, but the screens are a LOT bigger. Kinda reminds me of trying LG on the GB Player. :lol

Echoes

Metroid Killer, Axis; thank you very very much for everything :D As much as I love the game; I love it even MORE now that I got all these awesome Pokemons.

The game would have never been the same without the awesomeness of you guys. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart *cries*

On another note, I found it funny when I put Snorlax as the lead and he started following me. Never thought of the day in which I'd see Snorlax run :lol

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Echoes said:
Metroid Killer, Axis; thank you very very much for everything :D As much as I love the game; I love it even MORE now that I got all these awesome Pokemons.

The game would have never been the same without the awesomeness of you guys. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart *cries*

On another note, I found it funny when I put Snorlax as the lead and he started following me. Never thought of the day in which I'd see Snorlax run :lol
He's definitely my pick for best follow. Him, krabby and diglett

Top Bottom