• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

upandaway

Jokey665 said:
Dark doesn't hit Medicham/Gallade SE, ghost does... :D
Yeah yeah, but I'd rather have the ability to hit normal types. Besides he can just learn Aerial Ace if he wanted to deal with those guys.

Edit: Actually Feraligatr has a good enough defense/special defense that he can just use Swords Dance or something. I don't even think Gallade can take Waterfall from him, in the first place.

Colkate said:
I've got two questions that I can't seem to find definitive answers to:

1)Back in the Red/Blue days I always used to hear that using Rare Candy's would result in a Pokemon not as strong as one levelled via exp, is this still true? (If it ever was.)

2)I recently heard that a Pokemon of type (for example) Water using a Water move gets a damage bonus, something I've never been aware of. Is that true?
1) Yes and no. Pokemon stats are dependent on a few things:

- Nature
- IVs
- EVs
- Level

Nature will either be neutral and not affect stats at all or give one stat a boost of 10% and another a handicap of 10%. For a special sweeper (a pokemon with a high Sp.Atk who is primarily used offensively with moves that take advantage of Sp.Atk), it might be advantageous to have a boost of 10% in Sp.Atk, but a 10% handicap in Atk (which would never be used). I think the nature for this is Modest. There are tables that describe what each nature does on the net.

IVs are Individual Values and at level 100 can boost each stat from nothing to as much as 31 points. These are determined either at conception or when you first catch a pokemon. Basically, there are six of them (one each for Atk/Def/Sp.Atk/Sp.Def/Spd/HP) per monster and each one gives you a boost in that stat of between 0 and 31 at level 100 and a proportional boost at lower levels. They're basically random (unless you're breeding, where there are different rules)

EVs are Effort Values and are gained from either defeating pokemon or using stat boosting items (protein, iron, carbos, calcium etc.) and provide a boost for each of your 6 stats depending on how they're distributed. Each pokemon you defeat will give you a certain number of EVs (Bidoof give 1 EV in the HP stat, for instance) and when you get 4 EVs in a stat, that stat will be boosted by 1 at either the next level up, upon evolution or when you use a stat-reduction berry on a different stat. EVs for each stat are maxed out at 255 (maximum boost of 63 points in any stat) and your overall cap is set at 510 EVs (127 point boost distributed over all your stats). Also, your stat boost items provide 10 EVs up to (I think 100 EVs in a stat).

Levelling up boosts your stats according to level tables.

Thus, when you level up your pokemon to level 100, they'll get the level 100 base stats plus any boosts/handicaps due to nature, plus any boosts due to IVs, plus any boosts due to EVs.

If you use rare candy to level up to 100, your pokemon doesn't get the EV boosts and so is weaker than one that was levelled up via battling. Luckily, you can EV train at any time. At level 100, however, you need to take an extra step (because you can't level again).

1) Decide what you want your EV spread to be
2) Choose a stat you don't want any EVs in and gain a maximum of two EVs in that stat.
3) Use a guide to EV train as normal
4) Find a stat reduction berry for the "junk" stat from step 2 and use it on your pokemon
5) The game will recalculate your EV boost and your pokemon will gain its 127 point EV boost

2) A water pokemon using an offensive water move will get a 50% power boost on that move. It's called Same Type Attack Boost, or STAB.

Salaadin said:
I just found out something amazing. Youngster Joey just challenged me to a battle and I get there to find that his rattata evolved into raticate. This is unbelievable. I need to sit down.
Is that kid you register on your phone? He called me and I just said to myself, I don't care!

You're telling me he's evolved? Damn! Gotta check this out :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Colkate said:
I've got two questions that I can't seem to find definitive answers to:

1)Back in the Red/Blue days I always used to hear that using Rare Candy's would result in a Pokemon not as strong as one levelled via exp, is this still true? (If it ever was.)

2)I recently heard that a Pokemon of type (for example) Water using a Water move gets a damage bonus, something I've never been aware of. Is that true?

1. To a degree. It stops after a while. If you've got a Pokemon that you've trained for 40 levels then it's stopped gaining extra power from experience, so there shouldn't be anything wrong with giving it rare candies at that point. If you want a more in-depth answer look up EV training. Edit- Or read squirrel's totally overkill wall of text.

2. It's called STAB (same type attack bonus) and yes, it's pretty significant. But it's not applicable to 100% of moves/Pokemon.

Salaadin

Fantasy Final said:
Is that kid you register on your phone? He called me and I just said to myself, I don't care!

You're telling me he's evolved? Damn! Gotta check this out :lol

Yes, thats him. To be honest, I was a little offended that he didnt call me to inform me of the evolution.

Echoes

I would love to hear opinions on this:

Snorlax. Belly Drum, Rest (then wake up next turn with the help of a berry), and then Body Slamming all the way. Is that any good? I'm EVing his HP+Def+Spe.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Salaadin said:
Yes, thats him. To be honest, I was a little offended that he didnt call me to inform me of the evolution.
:lol

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Echoes said:
Does anybody have a spare Belly Drum Charmander? :(
I just finished ev training my adamant bellyzard. I should have at least one left over, if not I can make you one.

edit- Guess I stopped making eggs when I got mine, I only have a rash bellymander and a bashful one.

Today was a good day in pokeland.

I crushed that punk ass Morty with raticate bites and feraligatr crunches. I actually managed to catch palkia/dialgia and I even got all the fossil pokemon. I've even got like ten magmar eggs sitting in the pc to hatch.

I love these games!

Echoes

FootNinja said:
I just finished ev training my adamant bellyzard. I should have at least one left over, if not I can make you one.
Thanks man, appreciate it. I'm up all night; whenever you're ready. Edit: I'll take anything. I can breed easily for the right nature, right?

Sixfortyfive, thanks for trying hard to find good EV spots in HG/SS. I just finished EVing Snorlax at Route 10 for Speed. Do you have any place in mind for HP and Defense?

Echoes

Salaadin said:
I just saw my first shiny ever in all these years of playing pokemon. A green golbat in victory road. Caught him.
I would sell my soul for a shiny Crobat. Congrats! I got a shiny Zubat in Pearl but it's gone now.

Salaadin said:
I just saw my first shiny ever in all these years of playing pokemon. A green golbat in victory road. Caught him.
Reminds me of the time I found the shiny Caterpie in Leaf Green, followed by a shiny Poochyena in Emerald a few months later. I caught the Caterpie, but the Poochyena appeared before I was able to get my first batch of pokeballs.

As a result, I am now anal about always having more than ten pokeballs in my backpack as a bare minimum.

faridmon

eosos said:
I want to play this game.... so bad.
Too bad I don't have a DS
How can you 'not' have a DS?

its like saying that you don't have a penis (for a man of course), the DS is as essential if not more essential than having a penis.

Axiom

I swear there used to be an incredibly ugly dragon type pokemon back in the day but lord knows if I can find it. I must be wrong about the typing, but I thought its whole gimmick was that it's Ice/Dragon. Maybe the sprite just changed and I don't recognize the name anymore.

This is the stuff I think about as the Dragon Gym Leader kicks my ass. I really should have stuck with my old standards rather than try new ones

eosos

Banned
faridmon said:
How can you 'not' have a DS?

its like saying that you don't have a penis (for a man of course), the DS is as essential if not more essential than having a penis.

Good news! After posting that comment I bought a DS Lite on eBay for $90. It was only used twice so I'm happy :D. At one point I had a DS phat. I got it at launch. After about a year the hinge broke and I never wanted to play a DS again... until now.

Kave_Man said:
I'm about to jump into superior silver, just a question. How far do I have to go before I'm able to trade over pokemon from Pearl to Silver?

Similar question:

How far do I have to go before I'm able to trade over pokemon from RUBY to Silver?

Michan

viciouskillersquirrel said:
In the grass just south of Goldenrod. Its encounter rate is ridiculously low (I'd have missed it if I hadn't spent so much time Abra hunting) and I'm not sure if it's dependent on time of day.

Actually, come to think of it... I should start breeding my starter, shouldn't I?
Thank you! :)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Kave_Man said:
I'm about to jump into superior silver, just a question. How far do I have to go before I'm able to trade over pokemon from Pearl to Silver?

jamesinclair said:
Similar question:

How far do I have to go before I'm able to trade over pokemon from RUBY to Silver?

You can trade from one of the DS games as soon as you can get pokeballs to catch poekmon to trade. Just go into union room. They won't show up on Pokedex (unless they're on Johto pokedex) but you can trade them as soon as you want. I traded a Riolu and Gibble egg to make up my team from the start.

I believe that to transfer from GBA games you have to get the national pokedex, after beating the elite 4. Just like with D/P/P

^^
Thanks, I want to finish Ruby quickly and the transfer them over. I havent heard of anyone's GBA battery dieing yet, but Pokemon Crystal didnt last 8 years. Ruby is now 7 years old.

Echoes

FootNinja said:
echoes sorry about the late response, I was away. I'll breed you an adamant one in a sec, and I'll pm you when it's hatched.
Take your time buddy :D

jrricky: Yes; I'm training my shiny Diglett who has a PKRS.

Poyunch

Axiom said:
I swear there used to be an incredibly ugly dragon type pokemon back in the day but lord knows if I can find it. I must be wrong about the typing, but I thought its whole gimmick was that it's Ice/Dragon. Maybe the sprite just changed and I don't recognize the name anymore.

This is the stuff I think about as the Dragon Gym Leader kicks my ass. I really should have stuck with my old standards rather than try new ones
No such thing as an ice-dragon Pokemon. Man if there was I'd be all up on that dragon.

jrricky said:
So are pokerus still in this game?
Yeah.

Salaadin said:
I have NEVER seen a Shiny in as long as I've played. Eh, it's not like it matters, almost all the Shinies look bad. Aside from the Red Gyarados.

btkadams

jamesinclair said:
^^
Thanks, I want to finish Ruby quickly and the transfer them over. I havent heard of anyone's GBA battery dieing yet, but Pokemon Crystal didnt last 8 years. Ruby is now 7 years old.
youve actually had the gba battery die? man that scares me lol. i've got emerald but i havent beat it and id like to so i can get mew. i barely played it though, so the battery should be like new right???

btkadams said:
youve actually had the gba battery die? man that scares me lol. i've got emerald but i havent beat it and id like to so i can get mew. i barely played it though, so the battery should be like new right???

My ruby battery is still alive. Im playing through it right now (7 gyms in).

However, when HeartGold was announced, I got nostalgic and went to play Gold...and the battery was dead. I checked my sister's Crystal....and it was dead.

So now Im getting worried that Ruby might die.

I dont think playtime has anything to do with battery life....it's always on, so after 7-15 years, it dies. Unfortunately, pokemon games are on the shorter end of the battery stick. All my SNES games, and even my GBC games are still good.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Can I hatch eggs with the pokewalker or not?

I'm going with the assumption you can't as it isn't technically a Pokemon.

Thus, how can it find items and pokemon for you?

btkadams

jamesinclair said:
My ruby battery is still alive. Im playing through it right now (7 gyms in).

However, when HeartGold was announced, I got nostalgic and went to play Gold...and the battery was dead. I checked my sister's Crystal....and it was dead.

So now Im getting worried that Ruby might die.

I dont think playtime has anything to do with battery life....it's always on, so after 7-15 years, it dies. Unfortunately, pokemon games are on the shorter end of the battery stick. All my SNES games, and even my GBC games are still good.
do the ds cards have batteries in them? noob question but i didn't even know there was batteries in cartridges until like 3 months ago.

TheSeks

btkadams said:
do the ds cards have batteries in them? noob question but i didn't even know there was batteries in cartridges until like 3 months ago.

For Pokemon? No. It goes by the DS's internal clock.

btkadams

TheSeks said:
I'm going with the assumption you can't as it isn't technically a Pokemon.

Thus, how can it find items and pokemon for you?
you can find pokemon without a pokemon in the pokewalker. you just can't use the pokeradar. they walk up to you and join you without having to catch them.

TheSeks

btkadams said:
you can find pokemon without a pokemon in the pokewalker. you just can't use the pokeradar. they walk up to you and join you without having to catch them.

Don't you have to choose a route before putting a Pokemon in, how would the walker choose a route without a Pokemon?

Butane123

Awesome. The Beldum I am training just caught Pokerus.... right after I just got done completely EV training a Zapdos. Really doesn't take nearly as long as I thought it would to EV train them. Especially with the Power bracelets and stuff.

Echoes said:
I would love to hear opinions on this:

Snorlax. Belly Drum, Rest (then wake up next turn with the help of a berry), and then Body Slamming all the way. Is that any good? I'm EVing his HP+Def+Spe.

Er... don't EV him in speed. His speed is ass and he isn't really going to be outrunning much. Either put those speed ev's into ATK, or buff his defense up some more.

Echoes

I think you're right... Now I need some EV-reducing berries.

Menmanelf said:
Would anyone be willing to trade me some hoenn/kanto starters for some phiones?
What do you want? I can breed for a Bulbasaur and Charmander, as well as Mudkip.

btkadams said:

DS cards use flash memory, which should last "forever". (Nothing last forever)

So I have been thinking of making a pokemon focused on getting critical hits and I haven't been able to find on serebii the answer to some things, so I figured would ask here:

1) what are exact odds of a critical hit for normal attacks?

2) what are those odds for high-crit attacks like slash and psycho cut?

3) how much does focus energy increase those odds?

4) how much does Super Luck increase those odds?

5) how much does scope lens increase those odds?

TestOfTide said:
So I have been thinking of making a pokemon focused on getting critical hits and I haven't been able to find on serebii the answer to some things, so I figured would ask here:

1) what are exact odds of a critical hit for normal attacks?

2) what are those odds for high-crit attacks like slash and psycho cut?

3) how much does focus energy increase those odds?

4) how much does Super Luck increase those odds?

5) how much does scope lens increase those odds?
Maybe check Smogon (google Smogon University) for breakdowns on what each of the moves do. Post the answers here (I'd be interested to see if a critical hit strategy would actually be viable).

Top Bottom