• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Somnid

I caught my first shiny since the original Gold, it's a Geodude. I've only sunk probably upwards of 500 hours into Pokemon versions since Gold. I have no idea how people can go for something specific.

Axis

thefil said:
First, a question: If you breed a Pokemon, is there any way to manipulate the egg's ability?

Is there any chance any of you have any of the following Pokemon you'd be willing to trade? I don't have a ton to offer, but I can breed what I do have.

Looking for:
Makuhita
Beldum
Wailmer

i have a makuhita and a beldum if we can connect this time

Disguises

Somnid said:
I caught my first shiny since the original Gold, it's a Geodude. I've only sunk probably upwards of 500 hours into Pokemon versions since Gold. I have no idea how people can go for something specific.
Same here! Feel like I should keep him in my team now even though I wasn't planning on having a golem. Saw a shiny luxio in diamond a few months ago but it roared away :'(.

Merovin

Finally beat the Elite 4, they were no problem. But Lance, dear god! That was a hard one, thankfully no blacking out for me! Time for Kanto, though I might sleep first...

Also, with this "send Pokémon from your PC" to get the event guys, it doesn't seem to work for my, my DS doesn't accept the settings, the IP or anything. States the settings are invalid. Any ideas?

jdogmoney

Haha. The first Oddish I hatched with the Sludge Bomb/Sunny Day/SolarBeam/Moonlight combo has a hasty nature. :D It's destiny, gotta be.

Again, if anyone wants one, let me know.

Am somewhat looking for a Hound(oom/our), but it's not big deal. I can catch my own in Kanto, right?

EDIT: Anybody got a spare Leaf Stone? I can pay you in Oddish!

Hex

Banned
jdogmoney said:
Haha. The first Oddish I hatched with the Sludge Bomb/Sunny Day/SolarBeam/Moonlight combo has a hasty nature. :D It's destiny, gotta be.

Again, if anyone wants one, let me know.

Am somewhat looking for a Hound(oom/our), but it's not big deal. I can catch my own in Kanto, right?

If you do not get one by 11ish tonight let me know and I can send you one when I get off of work.
Trying to come up with a nice breed combo for a Houndoom myself.

Wow my Feraligatr completely dominated Lance without taking any damage. All my Pokemon were level 39 when I challenge the Elite 4 and everyone were 40 when I beat Lance except Feraligatr(lvl 43 :lol )

Basically I just gave X Speed and Swords Dance and OHKO everyone with Crunch, Waterfall and Ice Fang.

My team BTW is Typhlosion, Xatu, Golem, Ampharos, Gengar and Feraligatr.

Nayishiki

jdogmoney said:
You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

EDIT: I'm confused. Is the Cyndaquil mine to keep? Because those are kinda good...

Thanks, And yeah you can keep the Cyndaquil I have a box full of them.

Voltorb flip fucking blows. :lol

Seriously, worst coin gathering mini-game ever. Basically rips off minesweeper and who the hell likes minesweeper? Ugh.

In other news, about to go through Victory Road, my party is pretty competent but uninspired:

Gengar 41
Empoleon 41
Meganium 43
Staraptor 44
Wobbuffet 39

None of them save Gengar are what I want my final party to look like. Still look for a Larvitar or Skarmory to make my dream team. Don't care about natures or IVs as I'll just breed from the original, I just need one to start with because I don't have any Pokemon games besides Pearl and Heart Gold.

Nayishiki

Blue_Gecko said:

Seriously, worst coin gathering mini-game ever. Basically rips off minesweeper and who the hell likes minesweeper? Ugh.

In other news, about to go through Victory Road, my party is pretty competent but uninspired:

Gengar 41
Empoleon 41
Meganium 43
Staraptor 44
Wobbuffet 39

None of them save Gengar are what I want my final party to look like. Still look for a Larvitar or Skarmory to make my dream team. Don't care about natures or IVs as I'll just breed from the original, I just need one to start with because I don't have any Pokemon games besides Pearl and Heart Gold.

I can give you Skarmory and Larvitar, your FCs are still in my pal pad.

Blue_Gecko said:

Ever since I've figured out the trick to it, I've actually found it addicting as hell. I have way too many coins now. That'll come in handy when I go back to get TMs and stuff.

Hex

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
Ever since I've figured out the trick to it, I've actually found it addicting as hell. I have way too many coins now. That'll come in handy when I go back to get TMs and stuff.

Highly addictive, I love it.

cosmicblizzard said:
What's the secret? I'm at my wits end with the game, can't seem to hardly make 50 coins let alone the thousands needed for TMs.
Nayishiki said:
I can give you Skarmory and Larvitar, your FCs are still in my pal pad.
Someone get this guy a medal. Best junior ever. Going online now Nayishiki.

Hex

Banned
Still looking for a Masquerain with Silver wind (or anything else with Silver Wind that I can breed with a Scyther) if anyone has one available.
Just always liked the move and want to give it a shot. (I won't be home until after 11pm est anyway so not a big deal)

Blue_Gecko said:
What's the secret? I'm at my wits end with the game, can't seem to hardly make 50 coins let alone the thousands needed for TMs.

I haven't gotten to the point where I'm winning every time but it's pretty close. You need to look at the rows and columns and rule out what are dead rows and what have only 1s remaining.

Say one row is 1-4. That will have a 1 and 4 voltorbs. Since 1s don't do anything, you can completely eliminate that row. You can do the same as you uncover numbers. Say you found a 2 in a 5-1 row. You can eliminate the rest of that row now.

There's probably a better explanation on Gamefaqs but that's how I've been doing it.

Hex

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
I haven't gotten to the point where I'm winning every time but it's pretty close. You need to look at the rows and columns and rule out what are dead rows and what have only 1s remaining.

Say one row is 1-4. That will have a 1 and 4 voltorbs. Since 1s don't do anything, you can completely eliminate that row. You can do the same as you uncover numbers. Say you found a 2 in a 5-1 row. You can eliminate the rest of that row now.

There's probably a better explanation on Gamefaqs but that's how I've been doing it.

Important thing to remember is too that you do not HAVE to finish the board, take some coins and run and work the next board.

Blue_Gecko said:

Mark every square you believe is a 1 or a Voltorb. Flip everything else (aka all the multipliers).

For each row/column, add up the value # and the # of Voltorbs. For example, 5/1 would be six. If the sum is equal to 5, every square in that row/column is a 1 or Voltorb.

If that sum is greater than 5, the difference between that sum and 5 is how many "extra points" you have in that row/column. A sum of seven would yield 2 extra points, for example. In that case, you have either one 3 as a multiplier or two 2s.

Beyond that, it's just a bit of logic and a bit of luck to win consistently.

anybody got a porygon & yanma they don't need?

I don't care about natures/IVs/other bullshit. Just need any of both. any level.

you can even buy me a porygon from the game corner. i'd really appreciate it. :D

Nayishiki

Galactic Quail said:
anybody got a porygon & yanma they don't need?

I don't care about natures/IVs/other bullshit. Just need any of both. any level.

you can even buy me a porygon from the game corner. i'd really appreciate it. :D

I can give them to you my FC is 3653 2713 6337.

Galactic Quail said:
Awesome. Thanks Nay! Really appreciate the help! :D

No Problem!

upandaway

My wireless is fixed! If anyone needed something.

Also, can anyone take my Torterra and Magnezone and run them through the move tutor in Platinum's Survival Area?

I want Seed Bomb instead of Crunch for Torterra, and Signal Beam instead of Discharge.

Edit: That's gonna require 6 red shards, 2 blue shards, 2 yellow shards and 6 green shards. I really want those attacks for the E4 and I keep dying :(

Seed Bomb especially for that fucking Whiscash fuck.

--- Don't need it anymore!

Door2Dawn

Banned
Wow I didn't realize the day care lady can take away learn HM moves. I gave her my bellsprout that knew flash and cut, and now its gone. I can't navigate through the dark cave in kanto now. Awesome.

trinest

Door2Dawn said:
Wow I didn't realize the day care lady can take away learn HM moves. I gave her my bellsprout that knew flash and cut, and now its gone. I can't navigate through the dark cave in kanto now. Awesome.
Flash isn't a HM move in HG/SS?

Cause I only had a TM for that.

upandaway

Voltorb Flip guide from /v/ (it basically dumbs down what was said in this thread)

72qaah.jpg

eosos

Banned
So is Pidgeot a good flying pokemon? Or should I not waste time on it. Same with onix and Arcanine.
God this game is fun, brings back memories :D

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
eosos said:
So is Pidgeot a good flying pokemon? Or should I not waste time on it. Same with onix and Arcanine.
God this game is fun, brings back memories :D
For in-game shinnaigans? pidgeot is cool. Arcanine is great and onix is good once you evolve him into steelix (you will need a metal coat and someone to trade it to.

eosos

Banned
FootNinja said:
For in-game shinnaigans? pidgeot is cool. Arcanine is great and onix is good once you evolve him into steelix (you will need a metal coat and someone to trade it to.

mandiller

I've got a noob question. I traded a Scyther with metal coat to my SoulSilver game from another game, with the intention of stopping the evolution and training my Scyther for a little bit. But it wouldn't let me stop the evolution so now I have a lvl 1 Scizor. Is there a benefit (i.e. speed stat) to training a Scyther and then evolving it into Scizor later in its training, or will all speed benefits be wiped when it evolves?

If it's the later than I guess a lvl 1 Scizor isn't too bad (even if it is slow).

upandaway

mandiller said:
I've got a noob question. I traded a Scyther with metal coat to my SoulSilver game from another game, with the intention of stopping the evolution and training my Scyther for a little bit. But it wouldn't let me stop the evolution so now I have a lvl 1 Scizor. Is there a benefit (i.e. speed stat) to training a Scyther and then evolving it into Scizor later in its training, or will all speed benefits be wiped when it evolves?

If it's the later than I guess a lvl 1 Scizor isn't too bad (even if it is slow).
The latter.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Nah, scizor has its own base stats, so when you evolve it the speed will naturally go down. Scizor isn't meant to be fast anyway, he has huge attack power, an ability which makes his stab priority attack incredibly powerful and great typing/physical bulk.

Scyther is basically the opposite, but if you wanted a scizor from the beginning, there is no reason to regret a lv 1 scizor.

Top Bottom