• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
upandaway said:
You basically trade off speed for 55 more resistances, more attack and more defense. Also you get rid of a lot of weaknesses with only 4x fire.

hmm... where do I get metal coat?

Firestorm

Tranced Shadow said:
Challenging Chuck's gym:

"Oh man, this'll be a piece of piss - I've got a Scyther with Wing Attack!"

Every fucker then uses Rock Slide :lol

Eusine's Electrode nearly wiped me out too. This is harder than I remember!
Didn't have too much trouble with him. I underestimated Jasmine though. Had to do a soft reset when I realized that using a LV24 Slowpoke and switching him out to make him exp wouldn't work.

Oddly enough, using my LV24 Slowpoke against her LV35 Steelix worked really well with Curse + Yawn + Surf :) Then I got cocky and tried to keep Slowpoke in and switch out to get exp vs Magnemite. Big mistake. Killed all my good guys and I had to use my HM Slave to Revive Quilava >__>

upandaway

Big Ass Ramp said:
hmm... where do I get metal coat?
I'm making the world worse with every person I persuade to evolve his Scyther.

But there are a bunch of Metal Coats in the game, you should be able to find one. I ran out of mine.

Echoes

Big Ass Ramp said:
Ok, great! My FC is:

0045 5023 9897

Would you mind trading my Syther so he evolves, too?
Sure, give it to me, I'll go out and attach it the Metal Coat and trade it back.

Thanks a LOT, Colkate! :D :D :D <3

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Regardless on whether you have the wonder card or not, the Jirachi-exclusive pokewalker course will be unlocked when you got Jirachi.

Echoes

Sixfortyfive said:
Sucker Punch, Sucker Punch, Taunt, aaaaaaaand Sucker Punch.

They don't call him the Disaster Pokemon for nothin.

gg
Haha, man, I laughed out loud when I saw the Taunt :lol "this can't be" :lol

Great player! I have a lot of holes in my team. It's a quick team assembled for the sake of getting online & battling.

BTW, I have Pokemon Battle Revolution. Is it worth it to play for the items and TMs in there? It's a shame that it doesn't connect with HG/SS though.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
FYI, Garchomp is banned under Smogon OU rules, though I don't mind it so much. Some people might yell at you for using it though.

Echoes said:
BTW, I have Pokemon Battle Revolution. Is it worth it to play for the items and TMs in there? It's a shame that it doesn't connect with HG/SS though.
I remember there being a few TMs, evolutionary stones, and other items that you could buy in that game that were in limited supply in DPPt, so it may be worth it. I spent all my money in that game buying more outfits though.

Sixfortyfive

Big Ass Ramp said:
:lol I can't believe he took down that Blissey like that.
Look at that life bar drain! It's at 2x speed, too.

I was laughing pretty much nonstop. The chat in the video description was the whole reason I saved the video in the first place.

Echoes

But why is it banned and not Dragonite or Tyranitar for example? This always baffles me. Sure, there is a reason for it; I just wanna know.

Big-ass Ramp

Sixfortyfive said:
Look at that life bar drain! It's at 2x speed, too.

I wish there was an option to battle at 2x speed in game. That would make some of the tedious parts a lot better, IMO.

Sixfortyfive

Echoes said:
But why is it banned and not Dragonite or Tyranitar for example? This always baffles me. Sure, there is a reason for it; I just wanna know.
I couldn't tell you, to be honest. I got into competitive Pokemon shortly after he was kicked to Ubers.

It seems to have been a lot of little things that just added up. Great STAB typing (Outrage, Earthquake, etc) and the Atk power to use it. Has a speed tier all to itself (guaranteed to outspeed the plethora of base-100 speed 'mons in the game). Evasion boost when paired with Tyranitar. The arguments that I saw in the postmortem mostly boiled down to the idea that teams had to dedicate at least one and sometimes two slots on their team for the primary purpose of countering Garchomp, so it was deemed too centralizing and was therefore banned. Something like that anyway.

Big-ass Ramp

Sixfortyfive said:
I couldn't tell you, to be honest. I got into competitive Pokemon shortly after he was kicked to Ubers.

It seems to have been a lot of little things that just added up. Great STAB typing (Outrage, Earthquake, etc) and the Atk power to use it. Has a speed tier all to itself (guaranteed to outspeed the plethora of base-100 speed 'mons in the game). Evasion boost when paired with Tyranitar. The arguments that I saw in the postmortem mostly boiled down to the idea that teams had to dedicate at least one and sometimes two slots on their team for the primary purpose of countering Garchomp, so it was deemed too centralizing and was therefore banned. Something like that anyway.

That makes a lot of sense, actually.

OMG Aero

Echoes said:
I think it's because even for a pseudo-legendary its stats and movepool were far too good.
Are you able to trade those Dittos now Sixfortyfive?

Sixfortyfive

OMG Aero said:
I think it's because even for a pseudo-legendary its stats and movepool were far too good.
Are you able to trade those Dittos now Sixfortyfive?
Yeah.

2750-6983-3519

Echoes

That makes sense. I really like him, though.

So, I'm currently breeding Shuckle with a Japanese Ditto. Say I hatched 2000 eggs. It is guaranteed that one of them must be shiny, right?

No, no. Don't even try to convince me. I want a shiny Shuckle.

beje

Banned
Echoes said:
That makes sense. I really like him, though.

So, I'm currently breeding Shuckle with a Japanese Ditto. Say I hatched 2000 eggs. It is guaranteed that one of them must be shiny, right?

No, no. Don't even try to convince me. I want a shiny Shuckle.

Technically, every single one of those 2000 eggs has a 1 out of 8192 chances of being shiny so no, no guarantees.

Big-ass Ramp

beje said:
Technically, every single one of those 2000 eggs has a 1 out of 8192 chances of being shiny so no, no guarantees.

No, his chances are greater since he's using a Jap Ditto with his English Shuckie.

Sixfortyfive

If you really care about shinies, you should just chain with the Pokeradar in DPPt. Anything else is a total crap shoot.

notsol337

marked forever
beje said:

With a Japanese Ditto it's 1 out of 2048.

*edit* I can see I was beated.

upandaway

Sixfortyfive said:
If you really care about shinies, you should just chain with the Pokeradar in DPPt. Anything else is a total crap shoot.
But then it's not ONE IN EIGHTY ONE HUNDRED AND NINETY TWO y'know? What's the point?

Still gonna shoot for a black Charizard and pink Crobat with Killer's Ditto though.

Diffense

Garchomp is Uber in smogon tiers because the people who obtained the right to vote decided they preferred it so.
When I checked the threads the result was a relatively close vote with about 100 people.

Garchomp is very powerful after a Swords Dance but Salamence is about as strong after a Dragon Dance and is then faster as well as being a hell of a lot less predictable.
In fact, I think there was later a thread about whether Salamence should be banned as well since Garchomp was then gone and couldn't dispatch it with a Choice Scarf.

I think if you're playing Pokemon for fun and because you have your faves, smogon is probably not the place to be.
However, if you relish the challenge of winning under imposed rules then you'll have a lot of opportunity there.

Diffense

Sixfortyfive said:

I can vouch for chaining being the best way.
I don't care much for shinies but I tested out the method and did net a few.
If you plan to use it in battle have someting with Synchronize to get the desired nature.
Of course, egg moves will not be available.

Wichu

The only good and consistent way to get shinies is RNG manipulation. Breeding/chaining/SRing pale in comparison.

OMG Aero

Wichu said:
The only good and consistent way to get shinies is RNG manipulation. Breeding/chaining/SRing pale in comparison.
I tried this and followed all the steps exactly and it didn't work at all for me. Instead I just wasted about 5 minutes of my life tapping on the screen.

Wichu

OMG Aero said:
I tried this and followed all the steps exactly and it didn't work at all for me. Instead I just wasted about 5 minutes of my life tapping on the screen.
Are you sure you had it all right? Each time I've done it (shiny eggs) properly, it's worked.

If any one is having trouble getting their event pokémon using the exploit, I'll be more than glad to help. As I don't want to spoil my pokédex, I can only share 10th year anniversary Mews for now. I am against hacking, so it won't be shiny or have all IVs 31 or the like, just the one uploaded to http://www.pkmdb.com/NDS-Japanese-Event-Downloads

Its IVs are 25/8/13/22/12/25, strong nature, it's level 5 and knows pound. Japanese name, obtained as Wi-Fi Gift, Japanese OT, ID 11219.

My FC is 0045 5148 8653, I'll be around so if you are interested, just tell me.

Reich

I posted in Platinum topic but I think the tread is death ..

SO ..

Im looking for help, need to trade few pokemon to make them evolve. Anyone can help ? Im playing Platinum version. Im also in need of a magariser to make magmar evolve. Please help!

FC : 2278 9136 9968

Mafro

Any tips for catching stuff in the Safari Zone? I've spent the last 45 minutes trying to catch a damn male Larvitar, but it flees no matter what.

Mafro said:
Any tips for catching stuff in the Safari Zone? I've spent the last 45 minutes trying to catch a damn male Larvitar, but it flees no matter what.
It's all about luck unfortunately, you can throw bait to make it stay longer but harder to cathc or throw mud to make it easier to cathc but more prone to flee...

I just keep throwing balls though.

Jet Grind Radio! said:
FUCK! I accidentally removed my game from my DS when I was grabbing it from work. Not to mention, Yellow Forrest is such bullshit. 20K steps and almost 1000watts. I spent around 600 watts trying to get a "!!!" Pikachu, but the damn thing showed up like twice. At least I got one with Volt Tackle. Muthafucka.

These are way too rare... 600 watts down the toilet so far for me looking for one...

:(

Top Bottom