• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Unicorn

So is it too late to enter the pokeGAF tournament? I have a team, but didn't bother with IV/EV stuff, but still would like to play with some of you guys.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Gravijah said:
God I don't even know where to start building a team for the Battle Frontier. :lol

Minus the Battle Tower the others aren't that intense, IMO.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Unicorn said:
So is it too late to enter the pokeGAF tournament? I have a team, but didn't bother with IV/EV stuff, but still would like to play with some of you guys.
If you happen to be around in 4 hours, there might be a spot that opens up, as I'm going to be cutting some people who haven't got in touch with me this week. I'll only do this if their assigned opponent happens to be around tonight at the same time though.

Otherwise, I'll be around for casual battles tonight.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TheSeks said:
Minus the Battle Tower the others aren't that intense, IMO.

Yeah I love the Arcade, and I just played the Castle last night and it practically begs you to "cheat." :lol I hate the Factory though. I was excited to play the Hall but TBH it's a bit too complicated IMO.

Unicorn

Sixfortyfive said:
If you happen to be around in 4 hours, there might be a spot that opens up, as I'm going to be cutting some people who haven't got in touch with me this week. I'll only do this if their assigned opponent happens to be around tonight at the same time though.

Otherwise, I'll be around for casual battles tonight.
4 hours I'll be off work. One pokemon still needs a move tutor move, but whatever. When is the tournament? There another topic with all the info?

Sixfortyfive

Unicorn said:
4 hours I'll be off work. One pokemon still needs a move tutor move, but whatever. When is the tournament? There another topic with all the info?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390158

EDIT: Send a PM to Little Green Yoda and El Sloth to see if they'd be willing to play against you, and tonight if possible. Their assigned opponents are probably going to be cut tonight.

Sixfortyfive

Unicorn said:
Why no double team?
Because it was really annoying in RBY and the habits of the competitive Pokemon community die hard.

In RBY, the only move that hit through evasion modifiers was Swift, and Swift kind of sucks. It resulted in too many matches being decided by total coin tosses and most players felt that that was a really lousy way to play. So evasion boosting moves were banned.

Of course, now we have all kinds of moves that hit through evasion modifiers (Aerial Ace, Magical Leaf, Aura Sphere, etc.), some of which have actual utility, but like I said, old habits die hard. I think Smogon recently considered disposing of evasion clause a while back but I'm not sure what came of that.

Unicorn

Sixfortyfive said:
Because it was really annoying in RBY and the habits of the competitive Pokemon community die hard.

In RBY, the only move that hit through evasion modifiers was Swift, and Swift kind of sucks. It resulted in too many matches being decided by total coin tosses and most players felt that that was a really lousy way to play. So evasion boosting moves were banned.

Of course, now we have all kinds of moves that hit through evasion modifiers (Aerial Ace, Magical Leaf, Aura Sphere, etc.), some of which have actual utility, but like I said, old habits die hard. I think Smogon recently considered disposing of evasion clause a while back but I'm not sure what came of that.
No biggie. TM move so the one pokemon that knows it can adjust.

I'll PM those guys tonight.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
cory said:
I would love to see the Sugimori art for the 3rd and 4th gen Pokémon colored in the 1st and 2nd gen style.

I like the recent color palette better. The paleness looks much better imo.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Andrex said:
But the older artworks have that old-school charm to them. I'd like to see them as well.

cory

Banned
Andrex said:
The newer stuff is a bit too filled in, while it might look technically better, it loses some charm.
006Charizard_RG.png

256tppt.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah, I guess I can see how you could prefer that look. Kinda crayon-like.

Edit- But new Raichu art >>>>>>> old Raichu art.

El Sloth

Banned
Unicorn said:
Haha yeah. He won. Forgot to put a pokemon on my team so I had a lvl 100 hoothoot lol. Ill battle you now

I thought you were about to unleash some kind of secret can of woop ass when you sent him out. :lol It was definitely his name that made me think that.

GG man!

cory

Banned
Would a dark Pokémon come in handy in the main game?
I have a Murkrow from the Pokéwalker. I could also evolve an Eevee to an Umbreon.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Squire Felix said:
What kind of pikachu are you looking for?
Flying preferably, but surf would be nice. I don't want Volt Tackle Pika because I just got a Light Ball in a Pokewalker exchange yesterday, and I can breed VT if I want to.

Unicorn

Sixfortyfive said:
You too.

I always feel a bit dirty winning like that, but I don't turn down a guaranteed KO when it presents itself.
Haha my team is such a hodge-podge of favorites. Hopefully it'll do well against my friends who haven't EV trained either.

cory

Banned
I'm trying to gather a team together for the next section of the game. Just got Fog Badge.
So far I have:
Quilava Lv.32
Poliwag Lv 20
Flaaffy Lv 20
Rattata Lv 9 (HM Slave)
Hoppip?
Wobbuffet/Murkrow/Togetic/Miltank/Tauros?

Gravijah

cory said:
I'm trying to gather a team together for the next section of the game. Just got Fog Badge.
So far I have:
Quilava Lv.32
Poliwag Lv 20
Flaaffy Lv 20
Rattata Lv 9 (HM Slave)
Hoppip?
Wobbuffet/Murkrow/Togetic/Miltank/Tauros?

All those last options are pretty cool, I'll also toss in Gengar and Alakazam.

cory

Banned
The benefit to being thorough about getting Pokémon for the Pokédex is that you have a lot of options for your team. It also can lead to a constantly changing team for a while until you find a configuration that works.

cory said:
The benefit to being thorough about getting Pokémon for the Pokédex is that you have a lot of options for your team. It also can lead to a constantly changing team for a while until you find a configuration that works.
Indeed, and especially later on where the more unique pokemon are rarer, if you take your time to get them as well you'll have a great diversity for your team.

Are you using the pokewalker as well? I remember it opening up the possibilities for my early teams a lot.

Gravijah

Metroid Killer said:
Indeed, and especially later on where the more unique pokemon are rarer, if you take your time to get them as well you'll have a great diversity for your team.

Are you using the pokewalker as well? I remember it opening up the possibilities for my early teams a lot.

Speaking of, I got like 3500 watts yesterday. :D

cory

Banned
Metroid Killer said:

Yeah, but I've done all that I can with it right now, there aren't any Pokémon in the courses left before the National Dex that I don't/won't have.

I've actually kinda giving up on the PokeWalker since getting the White Lake course(50.000 watts), there's nothing of interest in that one and the next requires 15.000 more watts and all I want from that is just a Finnon and Shellos...

Top Bottom