• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Axis said:
i'm in the process of beating platinum, finally...never beaten it. just diamond and pearl(yes, i realize they're basically identical)

Did D/P have the part with all the Galactic goons in a room while Cyrus gives a speech? I just got to that part and don't remember it in D/P. :lol

Metroid Killer said:
I wonder how big a precentage of our playtime is tedious work compared to fun and giggles...

Far to much. I still maintain that's gthe biggest problem with the Pokemon games bty far, and it's why I lost the will to play Heart Gold after I hit Kanto. You can't even start preparing to build a competitive team until you've beat the game, and then it's just such a slog.

Every generation I lose interest quite quickly, but still get suckered into buying the next games. But I think here is where I finally draw the line, as I was looking forward to HG/SS as being the definitive games of the series, but I still can't will myself to play them anymore. If remakes of my favourite games in the series can't hold my interest, then I think I'll easily be able to ignore Black/White.

Wichu

Andrex said:
Did D/P have the part with all the Galactic goons in a room while Cyrus gives a speech? I just got to that part and don't remember it in D/P. :lol
Nope, that's new to Platinum. One of my favourite parts as well :)

Axis

Andrex said:
Yeah, that upgraded Platinum from four stars to five in my opinion. :lol

not that far in yet! just 2 badges...just trying out a lot of different pokemon so far that i bred on heartgold.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Masked Man said:
Oh my god. I had no idea that Pal Park was region-locked! Japanese HG does not compute with English LG, apparently. D=< RAGE!
Are you sure your GBA cart isn't a bootleg?

Masked Man

I said wow
Sixfortyfive said:
Are you sure your GBA cart isn't a bootleg?

Nah, I've had it for a while, but I left it in the U.S. while I was in Japan this past year, so I only thought to try it out now. Meowth and Vulpix are calling my name. :lol

shaowebb

Here is a question for you guys. If you have to have a pokedex entry for a pokemon to try to trade for it through GTS ....then how is it EVERYONE is asking for event pokemon or insanely rare legendaries?

I mean I see listings asking for celebi, shaymin, mew, deoxys, and Arceus constantly.

I get the feeling most of the people on GTS are using hacks like pokesav. I mean I went to battle frontier and none of my battles there filled anything in my pokedex.

The fact that the chimchar I got through trade was apparently caught in a master ball on route 204 at level 0 and had SURF pretty much clenched the idea for me that the GTS trading is hacked to shit.

Can anyone explain how I can increase my pokedex beyond the Sinnoh stuff after I get to battle frontier? I already use pokemansion/swarms/pal park dongling, but this is getting old and I got a long list of stuff I want to trade for.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's strange, because I do think that PBR parses out illegitimate Pokemon (like that Chimchar), but the GTS doesn't seem to mind most of the time. I think that with B/W they'll be more strict though, especially if it's a completely separate GTS which seems somewhat likely.

shaowebb

Fewr said:
Ask for trades in this thread.

I can't trade for things that are not already IN my pokedex. I now have one of just about everything I have seen, but that won't help me find a way to ask for things like Mew, or Torchic. If people are friend coding for the pokecenter online trading that would be fine though if I knew how to do add them to my pal pad.

shaowebb

How does that work though? Everytime I enter the union rooms its just noise makers and people warping in and out. I can't figure out how the hell I am supposed to ask anyone to meet up for a trade using this shit online. I can't even find anyone in my pal pad afterwards.

Chao

Hey guys, although I've played almost every single Pokémon game I'd like to know (maybe I just don't remember) if there's a way to know where to find certain pokemon. Yeah I'm that noob.
This is, I fight some random trainer and he has this cool pokemon I don't own or have found on the wild yet. I can see that pokemon on my pokedex but its data is unknown. Is there a move or something that I can use while fighting to know where to catch them?

shaowebb said:
How does that work though? Everytime I enter the union rooms its just noise makers and people warping in and out. I can't figure out how the hell I am supposed to ask anyone to meet up for a trade using this shit online. I can't even find anyone in my pal pad afterwards.

Middle room in the basement of any Pokecentre. Not the Union Room, the Wi-Fi Club.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Pureauthor said:
Middle room in the basement of any Pokecentre. Not the Union Room, the Wi-Fi Club.

You do have to exchange Friend Codes first, though. Which means using the Pal Pad item that's in the KEY ITEMS pocket.

Sixfortyfive

Chao said:
Hey guys, although I've played almost every single Pokémon game I'd like to know (maybe I just don't remember) if there's a way to know where to find certain pokemon. Yeah I'm that noob.
This is, I fight some random trainer and he has this cool pokemon I don't own or have found on the wild yet. I can see that pokemon on my pokedex but its data is unknown. Is there a move or something that I can use while fighting to know where to catch them?
Look it up online. Bulbapedia, Serebii, whatever.

The Pokedex is kind of useless for this in HGSS.

shaowebb

Andrex said:
You do have to exchange Friend Codes first, though. Which means using the Pal Pad item that's in the KEY ITEMS pocket.

Once I register the pal pad do I just go into the union room with it and hit y then? Otherwise, I dont really know of any other opportunity for me to try to get someone's friend code outside of going online and asking on forums, and then waiting for them to come online.

shaowebb said:
Once I register the pal pad do I just go into the union room with it and hit y then? Otherwise, I dont really know of any other opportunity for me to try to get someone's friend code outside of going online and asking on forums, and then waiting for them to come online.

Welcome to why everyone hates the Friend Code system.

Yes, it is that stupid.

shaowebb

Shit...and I got legendaries legit too. Palkia/zapdos/moltres/ azelf and Mesprit.

I was gonna dump a few to see if I could score starters, or mew two.

shaowebb said:
Shit...and I got legendaries legit too. Palkia/zapdos/moltres/ azelf and Mesprit.

I was gonna dump a few to see if I could score starters, or mew two.

I got a few starters I could breed you eggs for if you want - it'd be good practice for you to start online trading. :lol

Anything you have in mind?

shaowebb

Pureauthor said:
I got a few starters I could breed you eggs for if you want - it'd be good practice for you to start online trading. :lol

Anything you have in mind?

I've been wanting Torchic/Treecko/Squirtle/Charmander for awhile now. I also have a veritable eevee/rotom/snorlax/munchlax/vulpix factory going on right now in the breeding center. Plus I have a lot of other stuff too. Couple of shinies like Golem and Sentret.

I've been wanting to get a shuckle to perform a hilarious maneuver known as "The Zapp Brannigan" to the Elite Four and Cynthia.

To do this you take on a pokemon and realize that every pokemon has a preset PP limit. So you send one pokemon out and keep pumping wave after wave of full restore into him until your enemy eventually uses STRUGGLE when they run out of PP until they die.

I intend to do a Zapp Brannigan run with a SHUCKLE if I can get one and then record it to the Benny Hill theme.

I can give you Treecko, Squirtle and Charmander at this time tomorrow if you're willing to wait that long.

That said, here's my FC. 1334 0950 5927

shaowebb

Pureauthor said:
I can give you Treecko, Squirtle and Charmander at this time tomorrow if you're willing to wait that long.

That said, here's my FC. 1334 0950 5927

Awesome! Just let me know what your after in return so I can load up. If anyone wants one of my pokemon name what you want and throw down a friend code. So long as I keep at least one of something my Ditto will pump out another for me.

3567 5271 6245
Here's my code.

shaowebb said:
Awesome! Just let me know what your after in return so I can load up. If anyone wants one of my pokemon name what you want and throw down a friend code. So long as I keep at least one of something my Ditto will pump out another for me.

3567 5271 6245
Here's my code.

I'll take a Munchlax, Rotom and Vulpix in return if you don't mind.

shaowebb

Done deal. See ya at 1:40. If anyone else wants some pokemon I have a ton of stuff stocked up so just let me know what you want and I'll be in the trade area tomorrow at
1:40 EST

Remember, I really need a SHUCKLE to do a Zapp Brannigan run on the Elite Four so you can pretty much name your price for it.

Pureauthor said:
I'll take a Munchlax, Rotom and Vulpix in return if you don't mind.

*suddenly realizes that Rotom is not a legendary and can thus be bred*

Okay now I feel dumb.

I also gave my Shuckle back to the guy before I bred it.

I think I will try to fill the Johto Pokedex: currently at 190.

As for doing tedious stuff, I didn't find the main storyline too difficult: my team was hardly competitive (no EVs, terrible IV's and natures) but the game was easy enough (always seemed to get crits/status at the right time, like Battle Frontier in reverse :lol ).

Wizpig

I got 16 badges yesterday, can I have a quick list of "what to do" after that?

I already got
the GB Player and the HM from Oak, now I'm going to catch Mewtwo.
What else to do?
Can you catch Zapdos, Articuno and Moltres?

Lone_Prodigy said:
*suddenly realizes that Rotom is not a legendary and can thus be bred*

Okay now I feel dumb.
Heh it took a while before I figured out that you could breed Rotom, even knowing he isn't legendary. Perhaps it's the forms, but something about him screams non-bredable for some reason.

beje

Banned
shaowebb said:
The fact that the chimchar I got through trade was apparently caught in a master ball on route 204 at level 0 and had SURF pretty much clenched the idea for me that the GTS trading is hacked to shit.

I thought the GTS did basic sanity checks for blatantly hacked pokémon like that one o_O

beje

Banned
-NinjaBoiX- said:
Where should I start with this series?

Any main series game is good for starters, as there are tutorials and explanations everywhere. Both Platinum and Heart Gold / Soul Silver are a good start. Diamond/Pearl and previous entries can be considered seriously outdated by now.

Sixfortyfive

-NinjaBoiX- said:
Where should I start with this series?
Every new main series Pokemon game is slightly better than the one that came before it. HGSS is the most recent, and Platinum is the only other choice worth bothering with until the next game hits.

beje said:
I thought the GTS did basic sanity checks for blatantly hacked pokémon like that one o_O
Not really. Strangely the Battle Recorder video exchange will catch and reject a lot of hacks, but the GTS is just full of them.

beje

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
Not really. Strangely the Battle Recorder video exchange will catch and reject a lot of hacks, but the GTS is just full of them.

It shouldn't be that difficult, I mean, carts cannot be patched but I'm completely sure they can patch their GTS server with the program they use to catch hacks in tournaments (and it's actually really good at catching them as far as I know, because it takes every single variable into account) and make the server return an error code or just abort the connection as soon as anybody tries to upload one.

I really really hope they can stop this shit with B/W

shaowebb I'm here and I got the Charmander and Squirtle if you want it. Also I messed up and couldn't get you a Treecko - I got a Torchic instead. Hope that's not too big an issue.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wizpig said:
I got 16 badges yesterday, can I have a quick list of "what to do" after that?

I already got
the GB Player and the HM from Oak, now I'm going to catch Mewtwo.
What else to do?
Can you catch Zapdos, Articuno and Moltres?

- Legendary birds, yeah
- Legendary beasts and Groudon/Kyogre if you haven't already
- Latios/Latias
- Kanto and Hoenn starters
- Elite Four rematch (they'll be stronger)
- Mt. Silver and
Pokemon Trainer Red
- Fast Ship S.S. Aqua trainer rematches and Arceus Plates
- Trendy phrases
- Gym Leader phone numbers and rematches
- Rival rematches at the Indigo Plateau
- Safari Zone

Hrm, this probably isn't exhaustive, just off the top of my head. Also don't forget continued Bug Contests, Pokeathlon, Battle Frontier, and Lottery playing.

Wizpig

Holy fucking shit that's a long list :lol :lol
Wow, I can get Arceus Plates in this game, too? pretty cool, even if I don't use Arceus in battle.

Thanks Andrex.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Metroid Killer said:
Heh it took a while before I figured out that you could breed Rotom, even knowing he isn't legendary. Perhaps it's the forms, but something about him screams non-bredable for some reason.

Probably the fact the legendary music plays when you go to catch him.

shaowebb

Shit. Sorry man. College emergency kind of came up that involved scholarship paperwork needing refiled and deadlines. I'll PM you in awhile. I got to go to work now. I'll toss some items into the arms of those pokemon I was gonna give you for making you wait like that because that sucks to go through.

beje

Banned
I read a pokemon combination for catching monsters easier earlier in this thread, but I can't find it. It was something like using two specific pokémon, false swipe then sleep then switch in or something like that...

Help? Moltres is being a huge bitch.

shaowebb

beje said:
I read a pokemon combination for catching monsters easier earlier in this thread, but I can't find it. It was something like using two specific pokémon, false swipe then sleep then switch in or something like that...

Sadly to get Moltres I used a quick ball. BUT if your playing platinum there is a quick way to force motlres to respawn in one area.
Go to Jubilife city and keep walking out of town to the right and then back into town. This small section is one of the few areas that all 3 of the bird pokemon plus mesprit spawn in extremely often. Usually about 6 back and forths and he is waiting for me in the grass.
I literally bought 80 quick balls and did this to get the birds since I didnt have any pokemon with a high enough speed stat and mean look to trap them.

beje said:

Will you don't need a trapper for Moltres(Smeargle), but just a Catcher. The problem is that some of the best catchers are weak against fire (making entei and moltres a bitch to catch).

I've been using an Adamant Parasect with Spore, False Swipe, Sword Dance, X-scissor. (but that makes it 4x weak against moltres, but very effective against Psychic Legendaries, which there are a lot of)

I know 645 is using a Breloom that's pretty much the same as the Parasect but with a different move instead of X-scissor.

Slermy

I want to try my hand at breeding a shiny (I've never even caught one outside of the red Gyarados). Would anyone be willing to help me figure out my secret ID? I saw that you can do it if you figure out the IVs of multiple red Gyarados(es?) but I don't seem to have enough rare candies to do so (I'm about 10 short).

Sigh, why must shiny Umbreon look so cool. :(

Fewr

Ok, I finally beat the Elite Four.
My team: Jynx, Xatu, Growlithe, Magnemite, Pupitar, Heracross.

I bought the game at launch, but finally managed to finish it because every day I did different stuff (berries, apricorns, pokeathlon, completing pokedex, exp, etc).

Anyway, I've finally reached the safari zone and would like some advice. I want to get the pokémon that take the most time. I've chosen mountain, forest, swamp, rocky beach, meadow and wetland as areas, and I've put forest and other type of blocks in each because I don't have any other. I intend to fill each area with every type of block just so they level up asap. Is that how it works?

Thanks.

Holmes

There's a limit of 30 blocks you can put in an area. Basically, if a Pokemon needs say, 28 rocks to appear, that's how much you gotta put, and you can't really put anything else.

Top Bottom