• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Firestorm said:
Nobody seems to like my team but me.
idk my bff lugia *shrug*

Probably because everyone is paranoid about crits while setting up and stuff. Plus perfect accuracy Thunder/Blizzard is pretty common.

it is the perfect troll team though

Firestorm

Little Green Yoda said:
Probably because everyone is paranoid about crits while setting up and stuff. Plus perfect accuracy Thunder/Blizzard is pretty common.

it is the perfect troll team though
:( i hate crits so much. All those Calm Minds wasted.

Although right now I'm at a pretty decent ladder position on Pokemon Online!

Oh and I meant everyone hates playing it :p Even if they can beat it they hate playing it :lol

OMG Aero

So today I decided to try and catch Ho-Oh so I could get my Life Orb so I fly to Ecruteak and go into the Bell Tower.
This is the first Pokemon I find:
6fo1g7.jpg

This is the second wild shiny I have encountered in this game so far after the Lonely Linoone I caught last month. I think the game is trying to tell me that my aim in life is to catch bad natured shiny versions of each games starting normal types. If I encounter a shiny Bidoof or Sentret at some point I'm going to freak out.

Also, exactly how bad to a Pokemon is a hindering nature? I'd really like to use the Rattata and Linoone since the odds are so slim of getting them but since the Linoone has +Atk -Def I imagine it would go down to any fighting attack and the Rattata has -Atk +SpDef which is kinda useless. On the plus side the Rattata does have a 31 IV in HP according to the Battle Frontier guy.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
OMG Aero said:
Also, exactly how bad to a Pokemon is a hindering nature?
Typically as bad or worse than having a 0 IV.

But Super Fang and Endeavor aren't affected by the attack stat. :3

OMG Aero

Sixfortyfive said:
Typically as bad or worse than having a 0 IV.

But Super Fang and Endeavor aren't affected by the attack stat. :3
Good point. I had a quick look at Smogon and maybe I could roll with a Super Fang, Endeavor, Thunder Wave and something else. Just so I can get some mileage out of it without having to rely on its Attack stat.

Yes!! No more fucking swarm hunting!! After 5 months I finally got all swarm pokemon!!

sableye_s.jpg

In addition to that, it's now summer break for me! Two months of endless pokemon!

Firestorm

It doesn't matter too much for in-game anyway. I went through Pearl with a Modest Staraptor. Every once in a while the opposing Pokemon would have a sliver of health left and I'd curse the nature, but it was fine other than that!

I have a -SpAtk Tyhplosion in HeartGold =(

Finalow

Wiseblade said:
While Suicune can be rather annoying and my hatred for Jirachi extends far and wide, neither of them are uber.
what does ''uber'' mean? Really, for me is a fucking pokemon that has some trick (jirachi) or is annoying like suicune.

Firestorm

finalozzo said:
what does ''uber'' mean? Really, for me is a fucking pokemon that has some trick (jirachi) or is annoying like suicune.
uber is the banned tier in pokemon. I gave a link to you multiple times.

Finalow

Firestorm said:
uber is the banned tier in pokemon. I gave a link to you multiple times.
...yes, i know, but someone have made that list (right?). Why are these pokemon banned? Because they have some trick etc... ---^, or have high stat.

Sixfortyfive

finalozzo said:
...yes, i know, but someone have made that list (right?). Why are these pokemon banned? Because they have some trick etc... ---^, or have high stat.
Pokemon are placed in OU/UU/NU according to usage stats.

Pokemon are placed in Ubers according to a ridiculous, complicated, and subjective voting process. Ultimately it just boils down to whether regular Shoddy players like to play against those Pokemon or not.

Firestorm

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43566

Summary:
Offensive Characteristic
A Pokémon is uber if, in common battle conditions, it is capable of sweeping through a significant portion of teams in the metagame with little effort.

Defensive Characteristic
A Pokémon is uber if, in common battle conditions, it is able to wall and stall out a significant portion of the metagame.

Support Characteristic
A Pokémon is uber if, in common battle conditions, it can consistently set up a situation in which it makes it substantially easier for other pokemon to sweep.

Pokemon with over 600 base stat totals (the 680 legendaries) are banned on sight usually. Only exceptions being Pokemon like Regigas which have an ability which makes them terrible.

Man, the doubles Battle Tower is a breeze if you run a TR team with a low level Endeavor user. Just cleared 56 wins on virtually autopilot and I only had to resort to using my 4th Pokemon a few times

now watch me get owned by OHKO/QC hax in my next battle

Sixfortyfive

Earthquake + Levitate was my autopilot combo of choice back when I was going for the Tower ribbons. I'd just team up with Mira and rock out with Garchomp + Latias whenever the opportunity arose.

Speaking of Shinies, yesterday at the Bug-Catching Contest I encountered a shiny Volbeat. This goes with the shiny Nincada I got (which evolved to shiny Ninjask + shiny Shedinja <3 ) and the shiny Skiploom in the Safari Zone.

Honey seems to be useless in HG/SS. I was reading about slathering the stuff on DPPt trees to get Munchlax etc.

I'm actually really glad I got back into Pokemon with HG. I think RSE and DPPt would've given me fits with all the new stuff and Pokemon. There's a certain level of comfort in going with basically my Gold team (Typholosion/Ampharos/Kingdra/Scizor/Espeon + whatever).

OMG Aero

Andrex said:
Is there any point to Honey in HG/SS?
You can use honey in tall grass and it will have the same effect as using sweet scent. THat's the only use of it in HGSS.
Lone_Prodigy said:
Speaking of Shinies, yesterday at the Bug-Catching Contest I encountered a shiny Volbeat. This goes with the shiny Nincada I got (which evolved to shiny Ninjask + shiny Shedinja <3 ) and the shiny Skiploom in the Safari Zone.
I hate you so much.

I need help with the Pokewalker. I'm trying to catch a Snorunt on the Icy Mountain Rd.

Now I read on many websites that there are three groups with 2 Pokemons. Snorunt is in the third group and requires 10000 steps, the other one of group 3, too. Now I got 9000 steps yesterday and 5000 today, that means that the group 3 pokemon should appear. But they don't, am I doing something wrong?

Firestorm

finalozzo said:
imho jirachi and suicune are in this list.
Considering they're not that hard to beat, I think most people would disagree. If I were you, I'd take away that mental block you have that makes you think every legendary is oh so scary.

OMG Aero

Is anyone still doing the gym leader thing?
I think my team is just about ready, I haven't EV trained it or anything yet but all my Pokemon have the right moves so I could test them out.

Sixfortyfive

OMG Aero said:
I think my team is just about ready, I haven't EV trained it or anything yet but all my Pokemon have the right moves so I could test them out.
Hasn't been any activity in a while, but I'm usually around for some games.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OMG Aero said:

Yeah, I am. Still available at my given times usually.

finalozzo said:
how can i obtain groudon and kyogre?

It's in the cave southwest of the Safari Zone, but you need whichever orb Professor Oak gives you first. You can only catch one depending on your version.

Fewr

Milchmonster said:
Yeah, and? Do I need to take 10000 steps and catch that Pokemon on one day or what?
Yes. You can reduce the number of steps (to about 8,000) if you use the correct type.

Teknoman

Anyone know where the best places to EV train for specific stats? About to drop the Elite 4, and its about time I started getting back into EV training. I know i've still got the Kanto region to tackle, but I feel i'm far enough to focus on other things.

Finalow

Firestorm said:
Considering they're not that hard to beat, I think most people would disagree. If I were you, I'd take away that mental block you have that makes you think every legendary is oh so scary.
now not every legendaries :lol

Anyway, that is jirachi on shoddy, smogon server:

clisson switched in Jirachi (lvl 100 Jirachi).
Jirachi used Iron Head.
Umbreon lost 12% of its health.
Umbreon flinched!
Umbreon's leftovers restored its health a little!
Umbreon restored 6% of its health.

Jirachi used Iron Head.
Umbreon lost 11% of its health.
Umbreon flinched!

Jirachi used Iron Head.
Umbreon flinched!

Jirachi used Iron Head.
Umbreon lost 12% of its health.
Umbreon used Payback.
Jirachi lost 80% of its health.

Jirachi used Iron Head.
Umbreon flinched!

finalozzo: fucking pokemon
Jirachi used Iron Head.
Umbreon flinched!

Jirachi used Iron Head.
A critical hit!
Umbreon lost 43% of its health.
finalozzo's Umbreon fainted.

My umbreon with 3 CURSE. WHAT THE HELL? And not just this time, every players with jirachi and iron head do this. Then smogon want to ban salamence and not this pokemon trick :/

Andrex said:

To add to that, here's something I found on GameFAQs:

HP:
- Surfing in the first level of Slowpoke Well; Slowpoke (1).
- Surfing in Ruins of Alph; Wooper (1) and Quagsire (2).
- Surfing in Cliff’s Edge Gate; Wooper (1) and Quagsire (2).

Attack:
- Using the Super Rod in the first floor of Mt. Silver; Gyarados (2) and Seaking (2). You can encounter Goldeen (1) and Seaking (2) surfing on the same level.
- Surfing on Route 42; Goldeen (1) and Seaking (2).
- Surfing everywhere in Mt. Mortar; Goldeen (1) and Seaking (2).
- Surfing in Cerulean City; Goldeen (1) and Seaking (2).
- Surfing on Routes 24 and 25; Goldeen (1) and Seaking (2).

Defense:
- Rock smash boulders in Ruins of Alph; Geodude (1).
- Rock smash boulders in Rock Tunnel; Geodude (1).
- Rock smash boulders in Cerulean Cave; Geodude (1) and Graveler (2).

Special Attack:
- Surfing on Route 35; Psyducks (1) and Golducks (2).

Special Defense:
- Surfing in Cherrygrove City; Tentacool (1) and Tentacruel (2).
- Surfing in Olivine City; Tentacool (1) and Tentacruel (2).
- Surfing in Pallet Town; Tentacool (1) and Tentacruel (2).
- Surfing in Cinnabar Island; Tentacool (1) and Tentacruel (2).
- Surfing on Routes 20 and 21; Tentacool (1) and Tentacruel (2).

Speed:
- Surfing on Route 30; Poliwag (1) and Poliwhirl (2). Using any type of fishing rod, you can encounter Magikarp (1) and Poliwag (1).
- Surfing in Violet City; Poliwag (1) and Poliwhirl (2). Using any type of fishing rod, you can encounter Magikarp (1) and Poliwag (1).
- Surfing in Ilex Forest; Poliwag (1) and Poliwhirl (2).
- Surfing in Ecruteak City; Poliwag (1) and Poliwhirl (2).
- Using any type of fishing rod in Cliff’s Edge Gate; Magikarp (1) and Poliwag (1).
- Using the Old Rod in Lake of Rage; Magikarp (1)
- Surfing on Route 43; Magikarp (1).
- Surfing on Route 44; Poliwag (1) and Poliwhirl (2).
- Surfing on Route 45; Magikarp (1). You can also use the Super Rod to encounter Poliwag (1) and Magikarp (1).
- Surfing in Blackthorn City; Magikarp (1).
- Surfing on Route 28; Poliwag (1) and Poliwhirl (2).
- Surfing in Mt. Silver (outside the cave); Poliwag (1) and Poliwhirl (2).
- Surfing on Route 22; Poliwag (1) and Poliwhirl (2).
- Surfing in Viridian City; Poliwag (1) and Poliwhirl (2).
- Surfing in Fuschia City; Magikarp (1).
- Diglett Cave; Diglett (1) and Dugtrio (2).

I've finished IV breeding and EV training all of my pokemon. If anyone is up for battling after 6PM EST Monday-Friday then let me know.

I'd like to put these guys to the test.

ReiGun

Alright. I want to get in on this competitive battling thing, but I need a little help. Where exactly do you guys start as far as team building goes? I've read smogon and understand how most of the systems work, but I have no idea which pokes to dedicate my time to raising. I'd hate to put my time into a team that's not going to work. :/

Teknoman

ReiGun said:
Alright. I want to get in on this competitive battling thing, but I need a little help. Where exactly do you guys start as far as team building goes? I've read smogon and understand how most of the systems work, but I have no idea which pokes to dedicate my time to raising. I'd hate to put my time into a team that's not going to work. :/

I know this probably isnt the most popular way, but I say EV train pokemon you like, and leave it at that.

Sixfortyfive

ReiGun said:
Where exactly do you guys start as far as team building goes?
a) Build around a theme (weather, Trick Room, etc).

- OR -

b) Pick 2-3 cool Pokemon, then fill the remaining slots to cover their weaknesses.

Firestorm

finalozzo said:
now not every legendaries :lol

Anyway, that is jirachi on shoddy, smogon server:

My umbreon with 3 CURSE. WHAT THE HELL? And not just this time, every players with jirachi and iron head do this. Then smogon want to ban salamence and not this pokemon trick :/
Critical hits go past all stat boosts on the opposing Pokemon. Criticial Thunder and to a lesser extent Blizzards are the biggest problems to my CM / DT Lugia VGC team =(

As far as everything else, Togekiss can do the exact same thing to you with a higher SpAtk and SpDef stat.

ReiGun

Sixfortyfive said:
a) Build around a theme (weather, Trick Room, etc).

- OR -

b) Pick 2-3 cool Pokemon, then fill the remaining slots to cover their weaknesses.

Teknoman said:
I know this probably isnt the most popular way, but I say EV train pokemon you like, and leave it at that.

Alright cool. Now to figure out what to train.

OMG Aero

finalozzo said:
Can't Togekiss do the exact same thing?

Firestorm said:
You should be able to whittle that down.

http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/breeding_guide_part1
Go to 5. Pokémon Characteristics (DP only)

Also, do you have any rare candies? Just save, then rare candy + enter pokemon levels into metalkid's iv calculate at www.metalkid.info

First part doesn't really work - with the power items every Pokemon I have will have at least one 31 IV.

And no I don't have any rare candies.

ReiGun said:
Another question: Will using Ditto as the mother mess my stats up really badly or am i good to go?

That depends on the IVs of the Ditto in question.

Basically, catch a bunch, test the IVs, then use those that have good ones.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sixfortyfive I think it's time me do another tournament before all interest dies completely. This is probably a good time since we have Teknoman back (yays!), and maybe it'll inject some more interest into this thread and the games.

How many DPPt tourneys were there? Two?

Andrex said:
Sixfortyfive I think it's time me do another tournament before all interest dies completely. This is probably a good time since we have Teknoman back (yays!), and maybe it'll inject some more interest into this thread and the games.

How many DPPt tourneys were there? Two?
I don't think a tournament may be the answer. I just think that more frequent battling and in depth talk would bring more people back.

I think some people may have been put off by the idea of battle when they themselves didn't understand the EV/IV stuff.

I wanna battle so much, but I gotta go to work.

:(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SolarPowered said:
I don't think a tournament may be the answer. I just think that more frequent battling and in depth talk would bring more people back.

Erm, wouldn't a tournament fix those?
Tongue01.gif

Top Bottom