• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Fewr

Ok, but I can still place all types of objects in an area to make them level up asap can't I?

This is really confusing, is it only the blocks that level up or is it the areas, or the blocks within the areas (e.g. a plains block in a swamp may be lv1, but the same block turns lv3 if placed in rocky beach)?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Fewr said:
Ok, but I can still place all types of objects in an area to make them level up asap can't I?

This is really confusing, is it only the blocks that level up or is it the areas, or the blocks within the areas (e.g. a plains block in a swamp may be lv1, but the same block turns lv3 if placed in rocky beach)?
It's the areas themselves that level up, and each time they level up a multiplier for one of the block types increases. It works like this:

0 days: all blocks are worth 1 each
10 days: Grassland blocks now worth 2 each
20 days: Forest blocks now worth 2 each
30 days: Peak blocks now worth 2 each
40 days: Water blocks now worth 2 each
50 days: Grassland blocks now worth 3 each
60 days: Forest blocks now worth 3 each
70 days: Peak blocks now worth 3 each
80 days: Water blocks now worth 3 each

The pattern doesn't continue exactly like that, but you get the general idea. Check Bulbapedia's page on the Johto Safari Zone for exact requirements for each Pokemon. Like, if one species requires 45 Grassland blocks and 30 Water blocks before it shows up, you can do some math to figure out how much you'd really need (15x3 Grassland, 15x2 Water, so 50 days). Serebii's page does the math for you.

I don't think the multiplier is reset by changing whatever blocks are currently on an area or by swapping one area out for another. Newly placed blocks receive the immediate effect of the multiplier too, I think.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and you can't abuse the clock AT ALL for this. If I were you, I'd place the areas with the LOWEST time requirements first, catch all of the Safari Zone exclusive Pokemon in those areas, and then swap them out for those with the highest time requirements as you complete each area.

Pokemon exclusive to the Safari Zone:

Lotad/Lombre
Surskit/Masquerain
Nosepass
Aron/Lairon
Electrike/Manectric
Torkoal
Cacnea/Cacturne
Trapinch/Vibrava
Zangoose
Seviper
Lunatone
Solrock
Corphish
Shuppet/Banette
Duskull/Dusclops
Spheal/Sealeo
Bagon/Shelgon
Gible
Riolu
Hippopotas
Skorupi
Croagunk

Wizpig

When you try to catch Mewtwo in HGSS, does he have a special music theme or the classic one?
Because I was playing with GB Player on, so the music was the normal one... oh and it was super-easy to catch him, I felt bad because I wanted a shiny Mewtwo. oh well.

Sixfortyfive

Axis said:
sixfortyfive, you're going to the indy pokemon event right?
Yeah. I've been on a marathon breeding session all weekend, as I'm making teams for two others who I'm going with.

Axis

Sixfortyfive said:
Yeah. I've been on a marathon breeding session all weekend, as I'm making teams for two others who I'm going with.

could i bother you to pick me up the event eevee while you're there?

Sixfortyfive

Axis said:
could i bother you to pick me up the event eevee while you're there?
Yeah, but it might be a while before I actually retreive it. Sometimes I just let gift Pokemon sit on my cart for a while before I bother to soft-reset for good ones.

I think this one has a lousy nature anyway though.

Axis

Sixfortyfive said:
Yeah, but it might be a while before I actually retreive it. Sometimes I just let gift Pokemon sit on my cart for a while before I bother to soft-reset for good ones.

I think this one has a lousy nature anyway though.

ah alright, didn't know if you were getting it on more than one cart. whenever you get it how you want it just lemme know :)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sixfortyfive said:
I think the multiplier resets if you remove the area and replace it with a different one.

If I understand Baoba's 50 or so phone call correctly, that's not the case. He says even if you remove it, if you restore it and put the same blocks in the same Pokemon will appear... But, I wouldn't test that if you want to be safe.

shaowebb

Pureauthor said:
shaowebb if you're here now I'm ready to trade when you are.
Guess you never got my PM asking you what time you wanted to trade. Wow...you guys are right these friend codes are terrible.

Oh well, Im on now and im just gonna be in the center with trade selected. I gave your new pokemon some TM's to hold since you had to wait due to my college run around yesterday. the one I game Munchlax comes in handy if you use rest.

PS-If anyone else wants to trade with me right now my friend code is on page 311. Just show up and ask me what I have and what you're looking for and I'll see if I have it.

Fjord

4641 2913 6911 is my friend code

I've got soulsilver and just beat the elite 4 so let me know if you want anything that is attainable.

I see alot of pokemon evolve only when traded and holding an item which doesn't seem like you can trust the GTS to do so would anyone like to set up a few exchanges like that?

edit: Have several shuckles! One with the stellar ability gluttony: encourages early use of berries

There's a little GTS "trick": offer the Pokemon you want to evolve (with item attached), but request an impossible Pokemon (like a Level 20 Mewtwo, Level 9 or under Dragonite, etc.) in return. Then, go find a Pokemon on GTS and trade for it. Then, take back your deposited Pokemon, which will then evolve (since you've already made a trade). I can confirm it works since I got my Dusknoir that way.

shaowebb

Fjord said:
4641 2913 6911 is my friend code

I've got soulsilver and just beat the elite 4 so let me know if you want anything that is attainable.

I see alot of pokemon evolve only when traded and holding an item which doesn't seem like you can trust the GTS to do so would anyone like to set up a few exchanges like that?

edit: Have several shuckles! One with the stellar ability gluttony: encourages early use of berries

Excellent! I am still online but PM me if you have a certain time you want to meet up. Just make up a list of anything your after and I'll let you know what I can do.
I suppose that would be a nice way to do this here.

List a friend code, make a list of pokemon you want. We can hook up based on each other's wants but I suppose we can list anything we have thats special to offer if we liked.
It may be a bit much, but at least we can get some pokemon.

shaowebb

3567 5271 6245

WANTS

Skitty
Delkatty
Shuckle [GOTTEN!]
Squirtle [GOTTEN!]
Charmander [GOTTEN!]
Bulbasaur
Treecko
Torchic [GOTTEN!]
Shuckle [GOTTEN!]
Spinda
Teddiursa [GOTTEN!]

HAS TO OFFER
Palkia [TRADED]
Moltres
Azelf
Zapdos
Vulpix
Snorlax
Munchlax [traded]
Eevee
Shuckle
Dunsparce
Meowth
Uxie
Tropius
Poliwag
Growlithe
Relicanth
Rotom
Kirlia (male)
Ariados
Leafeon
Glaceon

Shiny Golem
Shiny lvl 100 Gyarados

EDIT: Thanks to Pureauthor and Fjord.
Im going to try to make some Eevee-lutions and mine stones for all you silver and gold players in platinum.
many more

Just PM me a time to meet up!

Finalow

shaowebb said:
3567 5271 6245

WANTS

Skitty
Delkatty
Shuckle
Squirtle
Charmander
Bulbasaur
Treecko
Torchic
Shuckle
Spinda
Teddiursa

HAS TO OFFER
Palkia
Moltres
Azelf
Zapdos
Vulpix
Snorlax
Munchlax
Eevee
Shiny Golem
Shiny lvl 100 Gyarados
many more

Just PM me a time to meet up!
i think that you can obtain shuckle somehow in the game.

Firestorm

If someone wants to clone the shiny eevee from VGC and distribute, tell me and I'll lend it to you for cloning. It has a set nature of Hardy so it's pretty pointless competitively but hey if people want it.

Sixfortyfive, if a Kyogre, Latios, Lugia, or Smeargle are one of the Pokemon you need tell me and I'll lend you mine or you can clone it and give it back. Or hell PM me your team and I can see if a friend has it.

I'm telling Smogon to tweet with the #vgc tag so hopefully we get all the updates here:
http://twitter.com/#search?q=#vgc

Firestorm

biggyfries said:
I can clone if needed. I will try to be on here tomorrow.
If you want I can give it to you now to clone and just give it back whenever you're done. I don't even think I've picked it up from the PokeMart yet :lol

Firestorm

biggyfries said:
aw man! thats cool. if you think you will be on tonight. i can wait. otherwise, we can do this tomorrow.
sorry. probably tomorrow. trying to get some cover letter / resume / portfolio work done before bed. no time for fixing router issues x.x

shaowebb

Currently hunting down a dawn stone in Platinum to turn a male Kirlia into a Gallade for trade. In the meantime enjoy this.

gallade-comic-final.png

Fewr

645, thanks for the safari zone explanation. I think I'll stick to catching the hardest pokemon because I know I'll stop playing as soon as dragon quest ix is out.

Falt

I haven't played a pokemon game since the original red. How friendly is HGSS to an out of touch pokemon noob?

I've been interested in picking this up for a while. I want a game that'll go the distance (literally, I travel a lot), something I can put hours into. I know HGSS certainly qualifies for that but, even reading the last few pages of this thread has me more than a little overwhelmed.

Falt said:
I haven't played a pokemon game since the original red. How friendly is HGSS to an out of touch pokemon noob?

I've been interested in picking this up for a while. I want a game that'll go the distance (literally, I travel a lot), something I can put hours into. I know HGSS certainly qualifies for that but, even reading the last few pages of this thread has me more than a little overwhelmed.

There is no Pokemon game difficult for a newcomer or a lapsed player to get into.

Firestorm

Falt said:

HG is perfect to get into after Red. Don't worry about the competitive stuff. Get into it if you like but only after you beat the game.

Falt

Thanks guys, appreciate it. Think I'm going to take the plunge on my way home from work.

Now, how do I explain to my house mates that I'm playing pokemon? :D

Falt said:
Thanks guys, appreciate it. Think I'm going to take the plunge on my way home from work.

Now, how do I explain to my house mates that I'm playing pokemon? :D

Dad: still playing Pokemon I see? So kiddy.
Mom: at least he isn't playing those bloody shooting games.

Wizpig

Free Jirachi for DPP & HGSS via WiFi.
Europe and probably the US too, but the US website is not updated for now.

http://origin.pokemongoldsilver.com/uk/#/news/jirachi/

Ok so...

damn it.
I already have a legit Jirachi, give me Mew and Celebi, those are way better and I never had those two Pokémon legit in my entire life.
I only had them in Blue and Gold, "thanks" to my action replay.

Oh, and gimme Deoxys aswell :8

Wizpig said:

Ok so...

damn it.
I already have a legit Jirachi, give me Mew and Celebi, those are way better and I never had those two Pokémon legit in my entire life.

Did Europe ever get the Draco Meteor Jirachi before HG/SS came out? If they didn't, this might just be a way for them to make up for that.

I personally wouldn't mind another Jirachi. That thing is mad versatile.

Wizpig

Little Green Yoda said:
Did Europe ever get the Draco Meteor Jirachi before HG/SS came out? If they didn't, this might just be a way for them to make up for that.

I personally wouldn't mind another Jirachi. That thing is mad versatile.
Not in Italy.
I have Pokémon Channel Jirachi since the old Gamecube & GBA times, though.

Now I'll have 3 legit Jirachi.
Not a Mew.
Not a Celebi.
Not a Deoxys.
Not a Darkrai.

I'm sad.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Teknoman said:
Will berries grow even while your system is off...because if so...I might have a dead crop.

Yup. Try to water them when the color is brown, if you do that you'll get the max amount of berries when it's over. If you slip and let it get to the light brown state, you'll get less berries.

I don't know if watering it when it's already dark brown has any consequences, from my own observations it doesn't, so if it's still brown when you go to bed or something, water it again to further stave off the dryness.

You can buy mulch in Goldenrod City that will extend the amount of time you need to water. It's called Damp Mulch, and has saved me a bit lately. :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Whoah, I just realized I can get three of those Jirachi's across my Pearl, SoulSilver, and Platinum carts. :eek: First time I've been able to do that.

Actually, I've never got an event legendary on my own before. I'm excited. Never had Jirachi before, either.

Wizpig said:

Ok so...

damn it.

Awesome since I don't have a Jirachi yet. Looks like I will be able to get one for my Platinum game and one for my Soul Silver game.

Mew can be gotten through Pokemon Ranch, though a wifi would be better and cheaper.
Still waiting for the Celebi Wifi event.
Dexoys and Manaphy will be available through wifi events in the newest Pokemon Ranger.
Still hoping that Nintendo will do the wifi event for the Arceus in Platinum.

Finalow

Andrex said:
Whoah, I just realized I can get three of those Jirachi's across my Pearl, SoulSilver, and Platinum carts. :eek: First time I've been able to do that.

Actually, I've never got an event legendary on my own before. I'm excited. Never had Jirachi before, either.
with jirachi: iron head + king's rock = win

Top Bottom