• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

upandaway

SolarPowered said:
Congrats

I've had tons of fun playing and trading pokemon for the first time in nearly a decade and this thread and it's posters were also a gigantic part of the whole experience. I just kind of wish that I had more time to put all those EV trained/IV bred pokemon to the test.

I guess this is how this thread slows down and finishes.

;_;
Just in time for Gen 5 in any case.

upandaway said:
Didn't you choose the Jap version to learn moon better? How did that go?
I don't know if I learn that much really. I guess I learned some new words, and I probably got some stuff in unconscious. But the dialouge was quite simple and repetetive. Most importantly it affirmed that I understood enough japanese to play import games.

Will import Spirit Tracks and Ni no kuni in the future. :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SolarPowered said:
Congrats

I've had tons of fun playing and trading pokemon for the first time in nearly a decade and this thread and it's posters were also a gigantic part of the whole experience. I just kind of wish that I had more time to put all those EV trained/IV bred pokemon to the test.

I guess this is how this thread slows down and finishes.

;_;

Not if I have anything to do with it. >:O

So I decided to replay this game again after beating the E4. I have a couple of questions, are slowpoke or poliwag good water pokemon to star out with? Should I train a Pineco?

upandaway said:
Just in time for Gen 5 in any case.
True.

Sometimes I forget how cyclical gaming can be. We'll be ready for the next wave whether we like it or not.:lol
Andrex said:
Not if I have anything to do with it. >:O
I hope so. I've only had one battle using my new pokemon and I've still got at least eight more pokes who I have yet to use in battle.

Off topic:
Oh, and I'm just going through one of the Android phone threads and I've got to tip my hat to you Andrex. You've done an amazing job on the OT side with the Android info

Edit:
Holy crap andrex I just saw the "recommended apps" section...of the thread and goddamn.

good shit.

2nd Edit:
I'll be up for battles any time today if anyone is interested. Just fire a PM if interested.

Fewr

vectorman06 said:
So I decided to replay this game again after beating the E4. I have a couple of questions, are slowpoke or poliwag good water pokemon to star out with? Should I train a Pineco?
I'm right after getting the kanto badges and have found that a tyranitar and a heracross help a lot. I'm no pokémon expert though.

vectorman06 said:
Between surf and ice punch it could do some serious damage if you evolve it into a poliwrath. Slowbro is also decent enough if you set it up with psychic, amnesia, slack off and surf, but it takes a long time to get psychic unfortunately.

If I get the chance to start over I'll try using a poliwag just for the fun of it.

Wizpig

Metroid Killer said:
Catching Lugia and Mewtwo was a breeze compared to some of the other legendaries, took me less than 20 mins for both of them.

Anyway this means that I finally got 292 pokemon!! I'm only missing Celebi, but hopefully it'll be possible with the events coming in the future. It also means that I got the 4th Star on my trainer card. The last one missing is the 100 win streak in the Battle Tower(where I'm at 50..), but I don't really feel like trying. I've played 725 hours which is more than enough...

I guess I'm finally done with the game, yes, I think it's a good note to go out on. An epic journey should have an epic ending.

The biggest reason that made this journey incredible was defintely this thread and the incredible friendship and support from the members. It's the first time I decided to be part of a 'gaf-community', but I would've never expected it to be this awesome. There are too many names to name, but all of you were a part of one my best modern gaming experiences.

Thanks, thanks a lot!
Yaaay.
As for me, I - erm - stopped playing after 16 badges.

I don't even know if you get a true ending or something (new credits, dunno) for the rematch against the Elite 4, since I didn't do that.
So.. y/n?

I did that in Gold on the GBC, but I can't remember.

Slermy

How useful is a move like charge where it doubles the attack? Wouldn't it be better to just attack twice since you'll need two turns anyway? That way you'd also save the move slot. I do see charge boosts Special Defense by 1 stage so that's a nice bonus.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Slermy said:
How useful is a move like charge where it doubles the attack? Wouldn't it be better to just attack twice since you'll need two turns anyway? That way you'd also save the move slot. I do see charge boosts Special Defense by 1 stage so that's a nice bonus.
It's one of those moves that is typically only useful for singleplayer battles against the computer. It's nice because, as you said, you get a SpDef boost out of it. So if you know that it would take 2 normal hits to KO the other guy anyway, you can just Charge first. I kept it on my Luxray in Platinum, as most of his noteworthy level-up attacks are kinda weak.

It's less useful in versus play, where you end up telegraphing your next move to the opponent.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Man, I thought that playing Platinum would pour oil on my Pokefever even further, but it in actuality just loosened my grip on SoulSilver. And I thought I'd be able to tighten it again whenever I want, but I can feel it slipping... :( There's still so much I haven't done. I only have 397 Pokemon!

Sixfortyfive

I basically took a week off after Indy. I should be back in the game in short order, though I'm going to be focusing on filling out some singleplayer odds and ends (Pokedex, etc.) rather than training more shit.

Going to get that 5-star trainer card.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Pureauthor said:
You guys know that it's okay to stop being interested in a game for a while, right.

Because you can, you know.

Always come back later.

OK you might laugh, but this actually kind of blew my mind. :lol It's just I said to myself, "this is it, I'm in, never gonna lose interest, gonna go the distance, etc."

Sixfortyfive

I really should total up the amount of time I've spent on gen IV games. It has to have passed 1000 hours by now.

I'm having real trouble with the Safari Zone. The printed guide, Serebii, all the websites have very different descriptions. Youtube is no help. Gamefaqs is worse. I have put at least one object of each type in each of six areas for 13 days running, visiting each day and catching the lower-order Pokemon. Baoba rings sometimes and says that if I am to remove objects from one area, or move the area, the 'original Pokemon return'.

I need some questions answered:

1. Now I've put items down for 13 days, are those six areas levelled up once by each object type? So can I put down 10 rocks for the value of 20? Theoretically, those six areas are fully powered up enough to get everything?

2. If I remove objects or move the area, is the area permanently upgraded in terms of those object types?

3. Does the Area Customizer reflect the number of actual items or their value? If I put a rock down that's been upgraded, does it say 1 or 2?

4. Do I ever get my life back? This is my first Pokemon game ever. I'm at Pokedex 241 after 131 hours. Oh god.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Think of it like this.

Each area has a level. They all start at zero.

Time levels them up.

The items are multiplied by the level to get the requirement for the Pokemon. It doesn't matter which item type is being multiplied. All that matters is that it's an item; type only factors for a Pokemon's arbitrary requirement.

Removing the area does not decrease the level, nothing does. The levels are permanent. The items, however, are removed.

They're all different because they all try to simplify it differently. Technically, if you follow just one of them, they're all correct. But bad things happen if you cross the wires, so to speak.

Tip of advice, don't count on Baoba's phone call. Always keep track of things yourself.

The area customizer I think does the total value, factoring in the upgrades. You can tell if this is true or not if it happens to exceed 30.

Edit- Maybe, maybe not. If it exceeds 30 then it definitely factors it in.

Sixfortyfive

I had a post on the Safari Zone here. Not sure if it's 100% correct though.

Wolves Evolve said:
3. Does the Area Customizer reflect the number of actual items or their value? If I put a rock down that's been upgraded, does it say 1 or 2?
I think that customizer only reports the base value. It doesn't reflect the multiplier at all.

4. Do I ever get my life back? This is my first Pokemon game ever. I'm at Pokedex 241 after 131 hours. Oh god.
ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

Excellent guys, thank you. I think I'm on track.

So at 13 days of use, only Grassland will be upgraded in my six areas. But 30 x grassland objects in those areas means 60. So if there's anything to catch that needs 55 grassland in those areas, I can get it now.

So I should keep all these areas with items in them for another 27 days in order to level up every type and then, I can get everything in those.

Then I switch to the next six areas and put items down - any items - and do it all again.

Thankfully I have some friends who have given me a few trades so its not all diabolical.

Maximus.

MidnightScott said:
I haven't played in a month or two now :/.

same, still need to beat red :lol I have my final team set and everything, just need to level a bit more. Dont know why I stopped playing.

Wizpig

Metroid Killer said:
heh yeah I meant 492.

And nope, no different endings.
Oi MK, you know what?
That Japanese Gible you trade to me when I had like 1-2 badges, at the start of the game... it's still in my main party. :D

<3 Garchomp.

fake edit. 492? what's the one you miss?
Arceus is #493 iirc

Sixfortyfive said:
I really should total up the amount of time I've spent on gen IV games. It has to have passed 1000 hours by now.
I've clocked in about 450 hours on my platinum cart. The only other pokemon game I've spent so much time on was my english version of gold at 413 hours until some bastard saved over it with a new game :/.

I haven't really tired of it. It's just that no one seems like they're up for some battles... and I've just about bred all of the important members of my team.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I think I'll take a week off now. Just to get refreshed. That... that's OK right? Someone say that's OK. >_<

Sixfortyfive

SolarPowered said:
I've clocked in about 450 hours on my platinum cart. The only other pokemon game I've spent so much time on was my english version of gold at 413 hours until some bastard saved over it with a new game :/.

I haven't really tired of it. It's just that no one seems like they're up for some battles... and I've just about bred all of the important members of my team.
I'm usually up for something. I'm in total VGC mode right now but can probably be coaxed into playing OU singles.

Hex

Banned
Anyone help me fill in some holes?

Looking for a Piplup, a treeko, and a shroomish.

Friend code is 0475 0119 1993

Sixfortyfive said:
I'm usually up for something. I'm in total VGC mode right now but can probably be coaxed into playing OU singles.
That'd be fun... on a weekday.:lol

Yeah, I've got no problem with letting some of you guys blow some steam off. We've got the whole summer to enjoy some battling/trading.:lol

Andrex said:
He probably meant 492.

Oh. Well I'm trying to fill my Johto Pokedex and I got one of the big fish out of the way via GTS: Slowking. Amazing I only had to give up a Lvl 1 Squirtle instead of a Lvl 100 Deoxys. :lol Now I can save my King's Rock for Politoed.

Fjord

Lone_Prodigy said:
Oh. Well I'm trying to fill my Johto Pokedex and I got one of the big fish out of the way via GTS: Slowking. Amazing I only had to give up a Lvl 1 Squirtle instead of a Lvl 100 Deoxys. :lol Now I can save my King's Rock for Politoed.

I had my slowking with a kings rock posted for an impossible trade while I looked around for another trade to evolve him. To my surprise I ended up with a level 98 Palkia. Now I need to go get another King's Rock. The Palkia dropped Red for me no problem :)

Hex

Banned
Thanks to Solar for the awesome Piplup.
Still looking to fill in with Looking for a treeko, Poochyena, Snover, Mawile and a shroomish if anyone has any to spare.

Friend code is 0475 0119 1993

Fjord

Hex I could do treeko for a piplup if you can breed another. My code is 4641 2913 6911 Oh have a mawille and might be able to get a shroomish too.

Hex

Banned
Fjord said:
Hex I could do treeko for a piplup if you can breed another. My code is 4641 2913 6911 Oh have a mawille and might be able to get a shroomish too.

Ok, will breed now and pm you

Alright guys. This has to do with OMG HAX.

My wife has a Meganium that she wants to make female because she's a girl and she likes having female Pokemon. It's pretty much nothing more than a cosmetic change with Action Replay. We're pretty anti-hax, especially when it comes to online games. So I have two questions for you PokeGAF.

1. Do you consider this cheating?

2. Will she be banned from Nintendo Wi-Fi for this alteration? i.e. will her Meganium become a 'flagged' Pokemon.

Sixfortyfive

1) Yes, but nobody will really care, especially if you disclose as much before using it.

2) Depends on how you do it, and it depends on what it's used for. If you're using a code that, say, forces eggs to be female, then the game will probably skip over PIDs until it finds a legal female one, which wouldn't set off any flags on a hack check. If you're altering a Pokemon that already exists, that's more questionable and probably harder to make legal. In either case, it can probably be traded and used in wi-fi battles with no problems, but poorly hacked Pokemon will set off flags on Battle Recorder uploads and wouldn't pass through an official tournament check. (I may or may not be pulling stuff out of my ass, here. I don't have much experience with editing Pokemon.)

upandaway

Espeon + Specs (from Lake of Rage) = E4 destroyed with no effort at all
Kingdra also destroyed Lance.

I literally did not use 3 Pokemon throughout the whole thing (and I only used Noctowl to help Espeon switch attacks). No one higher than 38 either and no items mid battle.

I feel like I cheated.

upandaway said:
Espeon + Specs (from Lake of Rage) = E4 destroyed with no effort at all
Kingdra also destroyed Lance.

I literally did not use 3 Pokemon throughout the whole thing (and I only used Noctowl to help Espeon switch attacks). No one higher than 38 either and no items mid battle.

I feel like I cheated.

I was going to call bullshit but then I remember the pre-Kanto E4 are chumps. Still very, very impressive. What moveset did you have?

I love finishing JRPGs at the lowest level possible. Makes battles so much more of an epic struggle.

upandaway

SuperAngelo64 said:
I was going to call bullshit but then I remember the pre-Kanto E4 are chumps. Still very, very impressive. What moveset did you have?

I love finishing JRPGs at the lowest level possible. Makes battles so much more of an epic struggle.
Pretty much just Shadow Ball and Psybeam (I planned on using Swift for that annoying Crobat but I forgot I had Choice Specs) :lol it was pretty insane. The two or three Pokemon that weren't weak to this combo, I just took out with Draco Meteor or Hydro Pump.

Also worth noting by the time I finished Espeon was at level 41 even with someone else having Exp Share.

upandaway said:
Pretty much just Shadow Ball and Psybeam

I need to add more Dark moves to my team. I usually forget that type even exists. The whole Psychic/Fighting/Dark/Ghost clusterfuck is just hard for me to remember for some reason. Sometimes my brain gets stuck in Gen I.

On another note, my wife and I finally beat Red tonight at the exact same time. My guys were higher leveled than hers but I had a bitch of a time because my type setup was just not very good for Red's team. It's like he just took a bunch of Focus Blast and Blizzard TMs and randomly threw them at the faces of his Pokemon. It's pretty sad when a Blastoise can't do shit to a fire-type because he only seems to use Focus Blast and Blizzard.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Andrex said:
Why wouldn't Blastoise have a water move? If just for STAB.

In-Game AI is horrible to the extent that things like not attacking with a STAB Super Effective move happens. This is Red's Blastoise moveset, and it has Hydro Cannon (lol).

rG8N4.png

Top Bottom