• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Ok I have two master balls... Use them on Latias and Latios? I went through 25 ultra and 30 dusk balls trying to catch Latias last night and no luck. Is there a mon that I should save the master balls for like Mewtwo or the Hoenn legendaries?

upandaway

I must have like 10 Master balls all over my games and stuff, and I would have more if I bothered to transfer more of them them before deleting the saves

I'm just too much of a coward to use one

Well I do have to catch the roaming beasts as well. I actually have not caught any legendary pokemon yet. Entei is roaming with about 30 hp and I am very tempted to use one on him as he likes to jump out of everything I try and put him in... I just wish I had more Masters.

Edit:
I guess I only need one more master ball for the Roamers.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Blu_LED said:
That kind of stuff is scattered all over Serebii. I thought someone here posted a list of everything to do.
If you just go through the right-hand side of their HGSS page you'll cover pretty much all of the major things to do in the game. I had my own checklist here.

I think I'll actually go check to see if the Safari Zone has been setup long enough now. Haven't checked in a couple months.

Merovin

upandaway said:
I must have like 10 Master balls all over my games and stuff, and I would have more if I bothered to transfer more of them them before deleting the saves

I'm just too much of a coward to use one

Same here, just doesn't feel right to use one. Almost feels like cheating..

Sixfortyfive

I only ever use my Master Ball for testing purposes. Like if I RNG a roamer, I'll track it down and use a Master Ball so that I can check to see if I got its stats right, but in either case I'll always restart without saving and catch it later in a different ball.

Sixfortyfive said:
I only ever use my Master Ball for testing purposes. Like if I RNG a roamer, I'll track it down and use a Master Ball so that I can check to see if I got its stats right, but in either case I'll always restart without saving and catch it later in a different ball.
Any tips on catching the roamers? I have Entei down to the red, I also have a wobbuffet for shadow tag. Is there any other trick to it aside from using False Swipe and having Wobbuffet at a super high level so that It can survive while I just throw ultras and dusk balls at roamers?

SaintZ

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Finally caught Latias after burning through another 30 ultra balls I caught her in a great ball. What a wonderful feeling.
Oh gosh I know, that bitch! She was seriously difficult to catch u__u. I haven't played the game in like two weeks (since I caught Latias actually) but I still carry the Pokewalker around. I just checked it and I have 9999 watts since god knows when :lol I need to transfer them ASAP.
Any tips on catching the roamers? I have Entei down to the red, I also have a wobbuffet for shadow tag. Is there any other trick to it aside from using False Swipe and having Wobbuffet at a super high level so that It can survive while I just throw ultras and dusk balls at roamers?
Well, I caught Raikou with my third Fast Ball, maybe that will help?

Gravijah said:
You have it paralyzed/asleep?
I can't seem to get any status attacks to actually stick. My level 40 Gengar still has Hypnosis but it never puts them to sleep. And its the same for Ampharos using Thundershock.

I have a Pikachu and Dratini that have Thunder Wave. Guess I will be leveling them up to at least get the first move on the roamer. Thanks for the tip.

Sixfortyfive

For the roamers I use:

Smeargle: Mean Look, Ingrain, Baton Pass
Breloom: Spore, False Swipe

You could use a single Smeargle with Mean Look, Ingrain, Spore, and False Swipe to the same effect, but since Smeargle is so damn weak it's usually not as useful imo.

Paralysis + a simple trapper like Wobb is good if you don't want to put as much effort into it, but I can't remember if Roar still fucks that up or not.

Awesome, I think I might look into Thunder Wave, then switch to Scyther for False Swipe, then Wobbu to keep it there and just spam the ultras. I never knew the power of False Swipe until today.

What do you recommend as the next Pokemon game to get? Right now I'm deciding between Emerald or Platinum, but am open to any suggestions. I haven't played R/S/E or D/P/Pt (have played FR) but which gen would make obtaining the good TMs easier?

I found a cheap copy of FR on craigslist but a quick glance at move tutors and legendaries makes it look bad for my purposes.

Lone_Prodigy said:
What do you recommend as the next Pokemon game to get? Right now I'm deciding between Emerald or Platinum, but am open to any suggestions. I haven't play R/S/E or D/P/Pt (have played FR) but which gen would make obtaining the good TMs easier?

Emerald has an extremely easy to do cloning glitch so you're guaranteed infinite TMs 1-50.

Finalow

Sixfortyfive said:
Pokemon Online. That's the best sim out there that supports doubles at the moment, so a lot of people were using it for VGC prep.

The screencap is a Blissey that one of the Smogonites used at a regional. It's rather gimmicky and Firestorm and I found it to be both admirable and lol-worthy.

EDIT: Playing a little bit of Platinum again to tie up some loose odds and ends. I really hope that the bike rack gets consistent use in B&W. It's actually pretty nice to not have to even assign the bike to a button in early DP, but for some reason they stopped putting the bike racks next to the PKMN centers in the later areas...

This back and forth between the two games is also making it plainly obvious that the encounter rate was jacked the fuck up in HGSS.
uh ''Site Web indisponible'', seems good anyway.

Little Green Yoda said:
Emerald has an extremely easy to do cloning glitch so you're guaranteed infinite TMs 1-50.

Oh yeah that's awesome. I think I'll wait for Black/White instead and their infinite-use TMs. Hard to go backwards when HG is so advanced (UI-wise).

So I am on Route 25 by Bill's house and Suicune isn't there. I have seen Suicune at all of the other locations (last one was Route 14, where Eusine says Suicune is looking for a hill by water). I have 2 Kanto badges, do I need more or do I have to catch the roaming beasts first? I can't remember!

Gravijah

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
So I am on Route 25 by Bill's house and Suicune isn't there. I have seen Suicune at all of the other locations (last one was Route 14, where Eusine says Suicune is looking for a hill by water). I have 2 Kanto badges, do I need more or do I have to catch the roaming beasts first? I can't remember!

Did you see him to the east of Fuschia city?

Gravijah said:
Did you see him to the east of Fuschia city?
Thats Route 14 right? Yeah, he was in the water then trotted north. Eusine talked to me and said "Suicune prefers a hilly place near water... ..Somewhere north. I don't know exactly where, yet. It will be just you and me!"

Gravijah

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Will do, thanks again for the help.

Ahh, here we go!

* Finally, once Misty goes back to the gym, go indoors somewhere and go back
out and Suicune should be there if you did all the above. Save before
fighting it.

Thanks!

Edit:
Hmmm... Just went back to Route 14 and Eusine is still standing there.

Edit 2:
Had to get the Cascade badge. Now Suicune is on the hill.

Can anyone give me some advice on my current team?
Im still in johto but cant bear the elite four yet
This is my first time playing a pokemon game and just need some tips of my stats and moves and also raising levels.

My team is:

Haunter level 42 -would like his attack and defence to be better
-attack: 66
-defence: 60
-special attack: 118
-special defence: 55
-speed: 100

Hypnosis
Shadow Claw
Sucker Punch
Mean look

Onix level 32
-attack: 45
-defence: 113
-special attack: 27
-special defence: 43
-speed: 54

Rock Throw
Rock Tomb
Rock Smash
Iron Tail

Pidgeot level 40
-attack: 84
-defence: 83
-special attack: 65
-special defence: 67
-speed: 87

Gust
Quick Attack
Fly
Wing Attack

Ho-Oh level 48
-attack: 132
-defence: 93
-special attack: 121
-special defence: 165
-speed: 115

Extrasensory
Sunny Day
Fire Blast
Sacred Fire

Red Gyarados level 40
-attack: 113
-defence: 71
-special attack: 63
-special defence: 80
-speed: 84

Waterfall
Whirlpool
Surf
Dragonrage

Ampharos level 41
-attack: 80
-defence: 75
-special attack: 100
-special defence: 101
-speed: 68

Thunder
Charge
ThunderPunch
Strength

Firestorm

Level up Gyarados until it learns Dragon Dance. Get rid of Dragon Rage and Whirlpool. Maybe teach it Strength or some other strong physical attack for things resistant to Waterfall. Beat Elite Four.

Wichu

Haunter's Attack and Defense aren't going to get much better. Look at that Sp. Atk stat; time to start making use of it ;)
Firstly, go to the Move Relearner, and get Shadow Ball back over Shadow Claw. Level it two more levels for Dark Pulse over Sucker Punch or Mean Look.
Now, what resists both Ghost and Dark? The answer is Steel and Dark. This is easy to take care of; in Goldenrod's Department Store, buy a TM52 Focus Blast, and teach it to Haunter. It might not have the best accuracy, but it will really help against the two types mentioned above.

Onix sucks, to be honest. I'd switch it for a Graveler; it has better stats overall, and learns much better moves by level up, such as Earthquake, Explosion and Stone Edge.

Pidgeot needs a powerful Normal-type move, such as Return (TM27; in Goldenrod, you have to show the happiness lady a very happy Pokémon on Sunday). Replace Gust, which isn't really that good compared to Fly and Wing Attack. It learns Roost in a couple of levels; it might be worth deleting Quick Attack or Wing Attack for it.

Now for Ho-oh. Being a legendary, it's pretty good already. It has a large variety of TM moves you can use on it, if you need some type coverage. For example, Thunder/Thunderbolt will be useful against Water-types, and Earthquake is great against Fire and Rock types. Watch out for Thunder's shaky accuracy (especially if it's sunny); Thunderbolt is difficult to obtain (10000 coins in the Game Corner), and Earthquake is a pain to get again once you've used the one in Victory Road (if you want another one, you'll have to grind 80BP in the Battle Frontier after you beat the Elite Four). Personally, I'd go for Earthquake, to make use of its higher Attack stat. Also worth consideration is Brave Bird, which it learns via the Move Relearner; it's one of the most powerful attacks Ho-oh can learn, but with the downside of taking recoil damage whenever you use it.

As has already been said, Gyarados needs a powerful physical attack. You won't really be needing Whirlpool for much any more (plus it's weak), so that can go. Dragon Rage also gets worse as the opponents' Pokémon get stronger; that can go too. Strength and Dragon Dance are pretty good moves to fill those two slots (level up a bit more for Dragon Dance).

Ampharos, being a pure Electric type, doesn't have a lot of options. Fortunately, it does learn some interesting moves by leveling up; Signal Beam at level 42 and Power Gem at level 59. Signal Beam deals with Grass types; Power Gem isn't that good for type coverage, but can be used for super-effective hits against Bug and Ice types, especially if they happen to resist Electric moves (e.g. Parasect). Like with Haunter, you could try teaching it Focus Blast to help with the Ground types that are also part Rock or Steel.

For leveling up, you could give all your money to your mother in New Bark Town, and repeatedly fight (and possibly lose to) the Elite Four.

You lack Dragon and Ice type moves (Dragon Rage doesn't count), which are useful against the Champion. All his Pokémon are also weak to Rock, though, so Graveler will be very useful. Ho-oh, with its insane stats, will be able to wreck Pokémon a few levels higher than itself.

By the way, you'll want to evolve Haunter and Graveler (assuming you get one); they have to be traded to evolve (a simple trade and trade back will do). If you have Wi-Fi on your DS, you can get help here; if you know anyone IRL that has a Pokémon DS game, even better ;)

If you have a wireless network, you can do the GTS trick to evolve your Haunter. Offer Haunter for trade, request something impossible in return (level 10 Ho-Oh or something), seek a Pokemon (aim for the weak stuff) and trade an expendable Poke for it. Then take back your Haunter and it will evolve.

Lone_Prodigy said:
If you have a wireless network, you can do the GTS trick to evolve your Haunter. Offer Haunter for trade, request something impossible in return (level 10 Ho-Oh or something), seek a Pokemon (aim for the weak stuff) and trade an expendable Poke for it. Then take back your Haunter and it will evolve.
I did this twice last night to evolve Onyx and Magmar. Luckily I was able to find pokemon that I needed for my dex in the trades. Win win!

Was getting my Enigma Stone and learned that I missed the Jirachi Mystery Gift event. Figures I stopped checking for D/P/P events for a little while and miss out on getting one of my all-time favorite Pokémon. :(

$200

Banned
So I've been wanting to get back into Pokemon (the last one I played was Crystal) and thehut is selling Platinum at a very cheap price of £15.93. The gameplay in DP are apparently very slow from what I've heard and I'm worried Platinum might be too even though it's said to be "faster".

So is it worthwhile getting Platinum, or should I just wait for price of HG/SS to drop?

Gravijah

$200 said:
How fast are HG and SS; are they as fast as the original G and S?

Been forever since I played those games, so I'm not sure. If you've played Emerald, they're definitely not as fast as it.

$200

Banned
Gravijah said:
Been forever since I played those games, so I'm not sure. If you've played Emerald, they're definitely not as fast as it.

I've only ever played yellow, gold and crystal; I think I will have a go at platinum ;)

So I just started playing with the Safari zone and the blocks. So if I put say 15 plains blocks on the Peak area in 10 days that counts for 30 blocks? And if I take them off after that I'll still have 30 plains blocks counted on the peak area or will it be 2 blocks?

Sixfortyfive

Lone_Prodigy said:
Can you RNG abuse the Pokewalker? Trying to get a good Swinub but the ones from there are lame.
You actually can, but I'm not familiar with that process. I know there's a thread in Smogon's wi-fi subforum that covers it.

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
So I just started playing with the Safari zone and the blocks. So if I put say 15 plains blocks on the Peak area in 10 days that counts for 30 blocks? And if I take them off after that I'll still have 30 plains blocks counted on the peak area or will it be 2 blocks?
I think this post is accurate.

Top Bottom