• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Zertez said:
Slightly off topic, but after Heartgold which game should I play? I think it is between Emerald or Platinum now.
As a rule, each new Pokemon game is slightly better than the one that came before it. So yeah, Platinum.

Zertez

Sixfortyfive said:
As a rule, each new Pokemon game is slightly better than the one that came before it. So yeah, Platinum.
That is what I was thinking, but a lot of people Ive talked to about the games have been pretty loyal to their favorites. Seems like whatever game they played first or the most growing up, is the best one.:lol

Finally saved up enough BP from the Viridian Trainer for a Power Weight and wow it's so much faster than Exp. Share/Macho Brace. Good thing I have enough Pokerus to spread around too.

Also speaking of hax, I kept telling my brother about how awesome Scizor is and he finally trained one. In the four battles he's used him, I have yet to see any move besides Swords Dance.

First battle: Ludicolo crits with Surf
Second battle: Electrode taunts his SD and then crits with Thunder
Third battle: Vaporeon crits with Surf
Fourth battle: he forgets Salamence has Fire Blast (not a crit though)

Also, does anyone have Power items to trade? Not sure what I can offer in return: I have most items from the Pokewalker (band/scarf/specs/TMs).

Is it worth teaching Gliscor Aerial Ace? As in I have a Gliscor holding Quick Claw, and it has Earthquake, U-Turn, Swords Dance, would Aerial Ace be a good accompaniment to that? Working on getting a team for the Battle Frontier now that Red is down and all I am doing is filling my dex.

Gravijah

Zertez said:
That is what I was thinking, but a lot of people Ive talked to about the games have been pretty loyal to their favorites. Seems like whatever game they played first or the most growing up, is the best one.:lol

The games always improve and get better. People might have their favorites, but that's nostalgia and opinion.

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Is it worth teaching Gliscor Aerial Ace? As in I have a Gliscor holding Quick Claw, and it has Earthquake, U-Turn, Swords Dance, would Aerial Ace be a good accompaniment to that? Working on getting a team for the Battle Frontier now that Red is down and all I am doing is filling my dex.

Go for it. Aerial Ace's ability to always hit will be invaluable against Double Team users in the Battle Frontier.

Lone_Prodigy said:
Also, does anyone have Power items to trade? Not sure what I can offer in return: I have most items from the Pokewalker (band/scarf/specs/TMs).

Which ones do you need? I can always use more Reaper Cloths for my Dusknoir army :lol

Okay I am going to throw this out there even though I expect the answer to be no. Does anyone have an extra/clone of the movie Celebi that unlocks the Giovanni event?

upandaway

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Okay I am going to throw this out there even though I expect the answer to be no. Does anyone have an extra/clone of the movie Celebi that unlocks the Giovanni event?
I don't think we ever got one.

OMG Aero

There's still time yet. We've actually had most of the events that Japan got, with the only exceptions being Mew, Celebi, Manaphy and some weird events for a normal Scizor and Pikachu.
So far, they've actually been pretty good at doing the events back to back too. First we had the two Pokewalker courses after each other, then Jirachi and the Engima stone later in the month. Since BW won't be out for a while outside of Japan, I don't think it's unreasonable to think they would keep doing the events until then. Since Celebi unlocks a Zorua in BW, they might even release it right before the games come out so you can collect it in HGSS, trigger the event there and then send it to BW, like they did with Arceus right before HGSS was out.

Technically the Celebi event in japan wasn't wifi, it was a cinema event, probably be a good bet it will be a Toys R Us/ Game.uk instore event (the big ones normally are)

We also need the shiney Raikou, Suicune and Entei for the Zoroark event in Black and white.

kyo_daikun said:
Technically the Celebi event in japan wasn't wifi, it was a cinema event, probably be a good bet it will be a Toys R Us/ Game.uk instore event (the big ones normally are)

We also need the shiney Raikou, Suicune and Entei for the Zoroark event in Black and white.
I hope we get the Celebi event soon, although I am not holding my breath on the Shiny Beasts coming stateside.

Finally beat Palmer in the Battle Tower. I kept thinking he always led with Milotic, so I had Snorlax out first (weaken/KO him so I can sweep with MixMence and CB Dragonite), but he sent out Rhyperior and OHKO'ed me with critical hit Earthquake. I raged then realized that you get disqualifed for doing that. :lol

Had to slog through all the battles again but this time I just went with Dragonite first and luckily he sent out his Nite first. OHKO with Outrage, and 2HKO on Rhyperior. I switched to Snorlax and just SelfDestructed to take out the Milotic.

So now I got my Power items: just need to save up for tutors/TM's now. :D

Is it true when opening up Kanto in this game there isnt anything else to do apart from the gym battles?

is there any team rocket stuff or side quest stuff?

OMG Aero

TheVampire said:
Is it true when opening up Kanto in this game there isnt anything else to do apart from the gym battles?

is there any team rocket stuff or side quest stuff?
There is a VERY brief Team Rocket bit when you get the Power Plant back online, but aside from that Kanto is mainly just for the gym battles and fighting a certain trainer at the top of Mt Silver.
Depending on what you consider sidequests, there are some legendary Pokemon you can only get in Kanto like Articuno from Seafoam Islands.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
kyo_daikun said:
Yup it does

Well not a separate set.

Also my Pokewalker went through the wash for the first time and the screen would only stay on for like second so I thought I'd have to try and get a new one from Nintendo, but low and behold once the water on the inside of the screen went away it works perfectly fine now.

Nintendo Quality yo.

Ran into Battle Frontier hax the other day. Palmer, Silver Print challenge. His Milotic gets two crits on my Snorlax (didn't really matter since he was infatuated and asleep, but still), and Rhyperior is packing a Sitrus Berry instead of a Focus Band for some reason. (Dragonite failed to 2HKO even though damage calcs clearly show over 50% dmg with one Outrage.)

Using Power items when breeding is awesome. Bred two Eevees with outstanding IV potential. Too bad their Hidden Powers were Rock and Steel, respectively (want a Jolteon with HP Grass/Ice). :(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
HP is a crapshoot. Such a shame, I wonder if B/W has done anything to mitigate how impossible it is to do.

Gravijah said:
For Pokemon like that, is it possible to reset before receiving them to generate new stats?

Yeah you can SR before getting the event Pokemon from the guy in the Poke Mart. I did that with Jirachi but was too lazy to Rare Candy it to check its IV's, so I just went for a decent nature.

Haha reading the comments on Kotaku brings back memories of trying to get Mew in RBY.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
timmytheman123 said:

I have a TRU Mew so I really hope Celebi's on its way. Still, it's always nice to have another rare legendary, and I think my TRU one may be hacked anyways so it'll be nice to have peace of mind that I have a legit one.

Edit- Is this for DPPt too? I know Kotaku said it's just HGSS but "lol Kotaku" and all that. The Jirachi event was for DPPt too and it's not like anything specifically about Mew has been hard-code into HGSS specifically.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
timmytheman123 said:
Noob question. I bought soulsilver a few months ago and have only recieved the enigma stone so far. Is it possible to get gifts from previous events?

If you can meet up with someone locally they can exchange wonder cards with you I think, but outside of that, no, not legitly.

OMG Aero

Andrex said:
If you can meet up with someone locally they can exchange wonder cards with you I think, but outside of that, no, not legitly.
If I recall correctly, the local trading of wonder cards is only allowed for certain wonder cards and I think the only card that has this enabled is the Japanese Rotom key for Platinum.
I'm pretty sure none of the American or European wonder cards can be shared locally.

YagizY

So having not even started Heart Gold, am I eligible to get Mew? I have the game but I haven't really even begun to play it. No badges yet.

Gravijah

YagizY said:
So having not even started Heart Gold, am I eligible to get Mew? I have the game but I haven't really even begun to play it. No badges yet.

I think you can get it if you play just a few hours.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
YagizY said:

You can probably get the Wonder Card but you might be unable to actually get Mew until you've got the National Dex.

Firestorm said:
If this event made it so you had to use strength on the truck beside the SS Anne I would be all over it.

Is the truck even in HG/SS?

They should have a MissingNo event, complete with the method (talk to the old man, fly to Cinnabar etc).

SaintZ

Oh gawd I'm just reading about the event! So I bought My Pokemon Ranch for nothing :lol well, at least I'm gonna be able to get Mew and save me the pain to fill the freaking ranch...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SaintZ said:
Oh gawd I'm just reading about the event! So I bought My Pokemon Ranch for nothing :lol well, at least I'm gonna be able to get Mew and save me the pain to fill the freaking ranch...

What does filling the Ranch entail btw? I've always wondered.

SaintZ

You have to deposit 999 Pokémon in the ranch and the trade any egg for Hayley's Mew. Unfortunately the "game" is only compatible with Diamond and Pearl and I found the process kinda slow to be honest. I only managed to get like 50 Pokemon in there before getting tired of it :lol It was extremely tedious for me since I almost never breed and just capture one kind of Pokemon to fill the Dex, so yeah, it was a chore.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeesh, that sounds like it'd be a nightmare to me. Especially since I "set free" all the babies I had when EV/nature breeding. :/

Styles

Finally I'll be able to get my hands on a Mew after so many years of wanting a legit one. And I'm also still bitter about restarting my SS version, lesson learned.

Gravijah

Vect said:
Finally I'll be able to get my hands on a Mew after so many years of wanting a legit one. And I'm also still bitter about restarting my SS version, lesson learned.

That's part of why I always buy more than one version. I like to restart the game and play through again... a lot.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Can someone help me understand or better yet show me a guide (I couldn't find one) on understanding stats and level-ups? Thanks, I'm starting this game new again.

Top Bottom