• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

30nb4h3.jpg

holy shit. just caught this

Wichu

Lone_Prodigy said:
Can you RNG abuse the Pokewalker? Trying to get a good Swinub but the ones from there are lame.
Yup, it's doable. It's much easier to hit the correct seed, as the Pokéwalker screen only seeds based on the time to the second (not the frames spent on the title screen). However, this means there are fewer seeds achievable, meaning the vast majority of spreads have a pretty high frame. Also, the only known way to advance the RNG on the Pokéwalker screen is to transfer captured Pokémon from the walker. This means advancing the frame is tedious and time-consuming, though easy to control. The PID (nature and ability) is generated using a different seed, which is advanced during PID generation and the swirl animation when you connect the walker; this is usually consistent, but I've heard of it messing up occasionally. And finally, the PID generation algorithm forces non-shininess; no matter how hard you try, it's literally impossible to get a shiny from the Pokéwalker.
Overall, it's quite easy to get a decent Pokémon this way; flawless Pokémon, on the other hand, take forever (I've heard of someone catching nearly 300 Pikachu to advance the frame in order to catch a flawless one; I believe they had to do it a couple of times due to minor frame advance inconsistency causing them to get the wrong nature).
But if you want flawless and/or shiny, catch one in the Pokéwalker, and RNG breed it.

I'm pretty confident that I was the first non-Japanese person to successfully RNG the Pokéwalker. I bet the Japanese got there first as always :p

viewtiful_dru said:
holy shit. just caught this
Haha, nice. Perfect nature, too.

Wichu said:

Thanks, but I think I'll just resort to breeding haha. I actually did get a decent Swinub but it was Oblivious.

Had an awesome battle against my brother a couple days ago. Too bad my camera can't record it (always ends up blurry for some reason).

Level 100, Singles, Item Clause, Evasion Clause, Sleep Clause, no entry hazards (his stipulation)

I send out Swampert
He sends out Umbreon

Swampert EQs
Umbreon uses Toxic
Umbreon has Lefties

I switch to Scizor
Umbreon uses Mean Look

He switches to Charizard (hence the no entry hazards) :lol
Scizor uses Swords Dance

I switch to Vaporeon
Charizard uses Heat Wave (CRITS and burns)

He switches to Umbreon
Vaporeon uses Surf

Can't remember this part but Vaporeon gets KO'ed, and I alternate between Scizor and Swampert (Toxic damage resets every time) while he alternates between Umbreon and Charizard. At least until...

He switches out Umbreon to Machamp
Scizor uses Iron Head (does about 2/3 damage with Life Orb)

Machamp uses DynamicPunch
Scizor KO's with Iron Head (and dies from Life Orb damage)

At this point I'm down 2 Pokes (and Swampert is basically useless being poisoned and all) so I decide to move onto "phase 2": Hail stall.

I send out Abomasnow
He sends out Umbreon

I switch to Walrein
Umbreon uses Toxic

Umbreon uses Taunt
Walrein uses Blizzard for the KO

I don't have Sub on my Walrein (Rest instead), so I have an out for the poison. However, he's currently Taunted so I decide to do a quick switch to remove the Taunt.

I don't remember what happens here, but his Charizard gets KO'ed and I see his Venusaur (who failed to Seed Abomasnow since I switched to him).

I have Walrein out
He sends out Gyarados

Walrein use Protect and Blizzard once, then Rest.
Gyarados gets in about 4 Dragon Dances while Walrein is sleeping.

Walrein wakes up and Protects
Gyarados uses Bite

Gyarados uses Bite (takes out about 3/4)
Walrein uses Blizzard for the KO

So right now he's down to 2 Pokes while I still have a healthy Abomanow, Walrein, Swampert at about 1/3 HP, and one more.

He sends out Garchomp

Walrein Protects
Garchomp uses Outrage

I switch to Swampert
Garchomp KOs Swampert with Outrage

I bring in Walrein

Walrein Protects
Garchomp uses Outrage (ends, is confused)

He switches to Venusaur
Walrein uses Blizzard (Venusaur survives)

I switch to Abomasnow (that was Walrein's last Blizzard, forgot the PP Ups)
Venusaur uses Synthesis (he doesn't know about the reduced effectiveness in Hail)

Abomasnow uses Ice Shard (survives somehow)
Venusaur uses Sludge Bomb (about 1/2 HP damage)

Abomasnow KO's with Ice Shard

He sends out Garchomp

Abomasnow Protects
Garchomp uses Swords Dance

Abomasnow uses Ice Shard (he has Yache, only about 1/3 HP damage)
Garchomp KO's with EQ

I send out Walrein

Walrein Protects
Garchomp uses SD

Garchomp uses Outrage (CRITS)
Walrein is KO'ed

So... after being up 4 to 2, it's now a 1-on-1 against SD'ed Garchomp (with about 1/3 HP left).

I send out Dragonite.

Dragonite uses ExtremeSpeed for the KO. Thank you Hail damage and Choice Band.

It was closer than I thought because I became too predictable with Protect and let his Garchomp set up. But yeah, that's amateur battling without proper TM's and egg moves. :lol

So are they ever going to do the Celebi for the event or is this it till black and white?

Im sure there are a few poke walker courses that haven't been given out as well...

Does any HeartGold owner have an extra Sableye, Mantyke, or Baltoy? Those are the last 3 version exclusives I need from HG save borrowing a Kyogre once I beat Red. And sadly they are not in my dex as even being seen to check the GTS for them.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hi guys! I'm back on the wagon. ^_^

Well at least for the Pokeathlon. Since I started playing again three days ago I've opened up the last room, gotten the rare candies from the two NPCs on the ground floor, and attained all three trophies in the trust room. I only have two more data cards left to buy, too.

After this, I'll finally move onto the Ruins of Alph subquest, and then I'll be mostly done. Only the Pokedex, five trainer stars, and shiny leaf quest would be lest. ^_^

407 in the Pokedex and counting, now.

kyo_daikun said:
So are they ever going to do the Celebi for the event or is this it till black and white?

Im sure there are a few poke walker courses that haven't been given out as well...

There's still about six months left until they come out in America, and it's been six months since HGSS came out and in that time we've had two Pokewalker courses (Yellow Forest and Winner's Path) and two special event Pokemon (Lati@s and Jirachi.) All on Wi-Fi, too!
Although Jirachi was for all Gen 4 games.

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Does any HeartGold owner have an extra Sableye, Mantyke, or Baltoy? Those are the last 3 version exclusives I need from HG save borrowing a Kyogre once I beat Red. And sadly they are not in my dex as even being seen to check the GTS for them.

Morty has a Sableye in his rematch.

Zertez

I picked this up for myself the other day. It is the first Pokemon game Ive played. I am enjoying it quite a bit, so far. I have a feeling it is going to eat some hours up trying to find and level up different Pokemon. Does the game get difficult at any point, or is it geared more towards younger players? I like to grind, so that may have something to do with it being too easy. Is it better to wait and grind levels with the different Pokemon until you finish the game?

Firestorm

Zertez said:
I picked this up for myself the other day. It is the first Pokemon game Ive played. I am enjoying it quite a bit, so far. I have a feeling it is going to eat some hours up trying to find and level up different Pokemon. Does the game get difficult at any point, or is it geared more towards younger players? I like to grind, so that may have something to do with it being too easy. Is it better to wait and grind levels with the different Pokemon until you finish the game?
There's a decent level of challenge post-game but if you're grinding probably not. I just fight the trainers + Pokemon I come across. I usually just train my party of 6.

Zertez

Firestorm said:
There's a decent level of challenge post-game but if you're grinding probably not. I just fight the trainers + Pokemon I come across. I usually just train my party of 6.
Is it better just not to bother with leveling the Pokemon you find? Even sticking with the original Pokemon I received, it is still over leveled.

upandaway

If you like to grind and still want challenge, just pick really bad Pokemon or don't evolve them (press B when they evolve). Or, have a team of more than 6 and rotate between them so that they don't overlevel.

So to all those that still read this thread, I have a few extra Phione. I am looking for Treecko and Torchic, as well as Spiritomb. If anyone can help that would be awesome. I'll be available for trading in about 3 hours from now.

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
So to all those that still read this thread, I have a few extra Phione. I am looking for Treecko and Torchic, as well as Spiritomb. If anyone can help that would be awesome. I'll be available for trading in about 3 hours from now.

I think I have some Spiritombs with Pain Split and Shadow Ball. Won't be available until around 8pm PST tonight though.

HG 1591 7555 9620

Also if anyone has a Staryu/Staryu with BoltBeam I'd love one for the Battle Tower. I suck at Voltorb Flip and my brother stopped helping me once he got 1337 coins. :(

Debating on getting an Action Replay for unlimited coins/BP/TMs, but I could just save the money for Black/White (with unlimited TMs).

Lone_Prodigy said:
I think I have some Spiritombs with Pain Split and Shadow Ball. Won't be available until around 8pm PST tonight though.

HG 1591 7555 9620

Also if anyone has a Staryu/Staryu with BoltBeam I'd love one for the Battle Tower. I suck at Voltorb Flip and my brother stopped helping me once he got 1337 coins. :(

Debating on getting an Action Replay for unlimited coins/BP/TMs, but I could just save the money for Black/White (with unlimited TMs).
Awesome. I will put a phione aside for ya.

SS 0518 2535 7565

I'll see you around 8ish PST in the trade room then.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Not a problem. So now I have 2 phione left. Looking for Torchic or Treecko.
Give me a moment and I can breed a couple.

EDIT: Also realized that I never got back to your PM from earlier, so let me know if you need anything else.

EDIT2: Would you accept their evolutions?

Sixfortyfive said:
Give me a moment and I can breed a couple.

EDIT: Also realized that I never got back to your PM from earlier, so let me know if you need anything else.

EDIT2: Would you accept their evolutions?
I would accept their evolutions. I got the sableye, but I still need the HG kyogre if you have a spare.

Sixfortyfive

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
I would accept their evolutions. I got the sableye, but I still need the HG kyogre if you have a spare.
Do you want a Kyogre for keeps or do you just need it temporarily for dex/orb purposes?

Sixfortyfive said:
Do you want a Kyogre for keeps or do you just need it temporarily for dex/orb purposes?
if you have one i can have that would be awesome. If you don't I will let you know when I need to borrow it. At Red but I didn't realize his pokemon were so high.

Sixfortyfive

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
if you have one i can have that would be awesome. If you don't I will let you know when I need to borrow it. At Red but I didn't realize his pokemon were so high.
I'll just clone it. Give me a minute and I'll be online.

4082-7707-6833

Man so much hax.

I sent out Electrode
Foe sent out Metagross

Electrode used Rain Dance
Metagross used Stealth Rock

Foe switched in Typhlosion
Electrode used Thunder
A critical hit!
Typhlosion is paralyzed!

Electrode used Thunder
Typhlosion fainted

Foe sent out Scizor

Electrode used Taunt
Scizor can't use Swords Dance after the taunt

Electrode used Thunder
A critical hit!
Scizor fainted

Foe sent out Metagross

Electrode used Thunder
Metagross is paralyzed!
Metagross used Explosion
Metagross fainted
Electrode fainted

My suicide lead took out 3 Pokemon. :lol

Negator

I've gone back to my Soul Silver copy in preparation for Generation 5. Spent (wasted) a lot of time trying to get Adamant Groudon before I realized that I had a box of Natus and Abras with all the good natures and Syncronize.

So, after that was out of the way, I started collecting all the legendary pokes that I hadn't gotten yet.

Timid Suicune
Articuno
Timid Mewtwo

Now I'm just waiting for my roommate to get back from work so we can swap our Groudon and Kyogre for Rayquazas.

What else is there really to do left in the game besides build teams? Don't really want to fill out the dex now that Gen 5 is right around the corner.

[Edit]

I'm also waiting on the dust to settle for Dream World stuff. I don't want to spend a lot of time making an awesome pokemon only to have it be inferior to the dream world version.

Sixfortyfive

Negator said:
What else is there really to do left in the game besides build teams? Don't really want to fill out the dex now that Gen 5 is right around the corner.
I jotted down a list of every remotely significant post-game activity I could think of:

Defeat Lance & Clair in a double battle.
Defeat rival at Indigo Plateau.
Rematches (NPC trainers, gym leaders, Elite Four)
Defeat Red.
Obtain Kanto & Hoenn starters.
Obtain all gift Pokemon and NPC trades.
Obtain legendaries: Kanto birds, Johto beasts, Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Latias, Latios, Kyogre/Groudon, Rayquaza, Sinjoh Ruins event.
Obtain Spiky Eared Pichu.
Obtain Gracidea.
Obtain Seal Case.
Obtain all Arceus plates.
Obtain all phone numbers.
Complete the Unown Report.
Scour the entire damn map with the itemfinder.
Misc random bullshit: Union Cave Lapras, Clefairy dance, vocab words, Primo's wallpapers & eggs.
Win the Bug Catching Contest.
Trainer Card goals: Elite Four, Shiny Leaf, Pokeathlon, Battle Tower, Pokedex
Obtain every Battle Frontier colored print.
Obtain every ribbon.
Unlock event Pokewalker courses.
Unlock all normal Pokewalker courses.
Level-up all Safari Zone areas.
Upload a box snapshot and maybe do some other misc wi-fi stuff.
Obtain pictures for the PC photo album.
Pokeathlon: get some Supreme Cup records, finish buying the Data Cards, hit some more benchmarks for the hall of fame, etc.
Celebi Event.
Level up entire in-game party to 100.
Complete foreign Pokedex! (lol)

I plan to finish all of that except the Pokeathlon and foreign Dex, though I've slowed down to about 30 minutes of playtime per week. I pretty much just turn the game on, get my daily PP Up from the lottery, then save and quit.

Styles

So I started SS again and chose Totodile, I later realised that gen 2 pokemon sucks. No variety at all.

AND I CAN'T GET HOUNDOUR BEFORE DEFEATING THE ELITE FOUR, WTF?!!

Negator

Man, that reminds me.

I feel like I'm getting gypped by not having these silly event Pokemon.

No Mew, Archeus, Celebi, Deoxys, etc. It majorly discouraged me when I got my copy of Diamond and I realized that I couldn't really 'Catch them all,' so to speak. (It turned me off of Pokemon to the point that I didn't even play the game for more than four hours.)

I got the Jirachi, but missed the Enigma Stone event, but I can deal with that. It just feels like an uphill battle that I can't climb without resorting to cheating or relying on other people to cheat for me.

Gravijah

Negator said:
Man, that reminds me.

I feel like I'm getting gypped by not having these silly event Pokemon.

No Mew, Archeus, Celebi, Deoxys, etc. It majorly discouraged me when I got my copy of Diamond and I realized that I couldn't really 'Catch them all,' so to speak.

I got the Jirachi, but missed the Enigma Stone event, but I can deal with that. It just feels like an uphill battle that I can't climb without resorting to cheating or relying on other people to cheat for me.

There's a way to exploit the WiFi to get these event Pokemon. I usually just send exact clones of whatever event Pokemon I need over to myself.

Negator

Sixfortyfive said:
Need me to clone some shit?

I would appreciate it greatly. Would you mind trading me an Archeus? And if possible, a Mew.

Let me know if there's anything I can do for you.

There's no legit english Celebi yet, right?

Sixfortyfive

Negator said:
I would appreciate it greatly. Would you mind trading me an Archeus? And if possible, a Mew.

Let me know if there's anything I can do for you.

There's no legit english Celebi yet, right?
I can do all 3 of those. I received the Arceus myself. I got the other 2 from other people, but I figure they're legit. The Mew is from My Pokemon Ranch and the Celebi is a 10ANIV Celebi that was cloned a bunch in Emerald.

4082-7707-6833

Sixfortyfive

I'll be in the wi-fi room in a few minutes.

If possible, I'd like 3 Hoenn Pokemon of different species in exchange for these.

Negator

Sixfortyfive said:
I'll be in the wi-fi room in a few minutes.

If possible, I'd like 3 Hoenn Pokemon of different species in exchange for these.

I only have the ones from the swarms, I hope that's okay.

Thank you so much for your help!

Sixfortyfive

Trading is its own reward. Or at least the means to win at the lottery.

Just received another PP Up. (Thanks Chen #20641.) 46 in stock now.

Sixfortyfive

Gravijah said:
Have you got a master ball yet?
Nah. I have matched 4 numbers at least twice though.

I actually get kind of ticked when I win Exp Shares (3 numbers) because I have absolutely no use for a dozen of them.

Top Bottom