• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Gravijah said:
I think you can get it if you play just a few hours.

I also am just starting on my Heart Gold version. Could someone explain how I will be able to get Mew? What exactly will I need to do to set myself up for the event?

LegendOfGood said:
I also am just starting on my Heart Gold version. Could someone explain how I will be able to get Mew? What exactly will I need to do to set myself up for the event?

You need Mystery Gift (I think it's available already), a Wi-Fi Connection, and the National Pokedex (I think). You get the National Pokedex after beating the Elite 4.

At the menu screen (Continue, New Game, etc.) there is Mystery Gift. Select that, select Wi-Fi, wait, accept. Go to a Poke Mart to pick it up.

pirata

Whoa, I just checked Serebii (been on a Black and White blackout) and there are a buttload of new events that became available on the fourth! How does it work---can you only choose one of the pokemon? Do I just have to download them via wi-fi for a wonder card like Jirachi?

SlickVic

I've never gotten Wi-fi on my DS to work here but tried out Mystery Gift for fun and somehow I got it. Nice to finally have a Mew after all these years.

Gravijah

Ben2749 said:
I want to download Mew, but it says I'm out of room for Wonder Cards. What does that mean, and how do I resolve it? I want Mew! :-(

You have to delete one of your wonder cards... it might be under Mystery Gift on the main screen. I haven't ever done it before.

Arren

Ben, you simply need to trash one of your existing 3 Cards, to make space for the incoming one. It can be done through the Mystery Gift menu.

It won't affect the availability of the corresponding Mystery Gift itself if you have already claimed it.

Arren

Lone_Prodigy said:
Anyone got a Rotom? I have almost 400 Pokemon in my dex so I can offer almost anything. :D
Yes, I have some spare Rotom I can freely distribute. Have you got a Lumineon, perchance?

Blizzard

Banned
Gravijah said:
You have to delete one of your wonder cards... it might be under Mystery Gift on the main screen. I haven't ever done it before.
When you do this, does it make you lose anything? I already deleted the one for the pikachu pokewalker route -- does this mean I can't use that route anymore? I may not have actually used some of the wonder cards to get special pokemon, so I don't want to delete the card and then lose that pokemon.

Gravijah

Blizzard said:
When you do this, does it make you lose anything? I already deleted the one for the pikachu pokewalker route -- does this mean I can't use that route anymore? I may not have actually used some of the wonder cards to get special pokemon, so I don't want to delete the card and then lose that pokemon.

I'm not entirely sure. I would figure you wouldn't be able to get the Pokemon if you haven't gotten them yet, but if you already have the Pokewalker route, you should be fine.

Arren

Blizzard said:
No, it shouldn't prevent you from acquiring the corresponding Gift.
What it affects probably is the chance to forward that same Wonder Card (and its related gift) to a friend.

Fewr

Quick pokéwalker update.

I live a normal office life, occasionally go to concerts, and go swimming twice a week. I got the game at launch, and haven't cheated in the pokéwalker.

So far I've got 1,609,045steps and 82,490 watts.

I connect the pokéwalker to the game everytime I'm about to reach 9,999watts. I haven't changed the battery yet, and I just unlocked Icy Mountain Road.

I think I'll reach the 100,000watts sometime in early december.

Is there a way of transferring Wonder Cards from one game to another? I have cards for Mew, Jirachi, and the Winner's Path Pokewalker route that I want to give to some friends, but I can't figure out how.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Ben2749 said:
Is there a way of transferring Wonder Cards from one game to another? I have cards for Mew, Jirachi, and the Winner's Path Pokewalker route that I want to give to some friends, but I can't figure out how.
This is only allowed for certain wonder cards. If it's permitted, a "share" option will be present when you check the card's info.

Very few wonder cards allow this. I don't think any of those particular three can be shared.

Sixfortyfive said:
This is only allowed for certain wonder cards. If it's permitted, a "share" option will be present when you check the card's info.

Very few wonder cards allow this. I don't think any of those particular three can be shared.

Damn. Oh well, thanks for answering.

beje

Banned
Thread bump!

Need some help with this: after hatching a lot of eggs and doing some simple IV checkings with the Battle Frontier guy, I have these 5 Castforms (got the IVs from a Lv.100 battle and a IV calculator)

I want to chose 3, one for each transformation, but I'm completely clueless as this is the first time I'm doing this. #1 and #2 are too weak against Special attackers and #5 could use some extra Sp.Attack so... halp?

DmTxI.png

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Nature is more important than IVs in most cases, so you should list those as well. Modest and Timid would probably be the ideal natures for Castform. Speed and SpAttack are the most important IVs, in that order. There's a blurb near the bottom of this post that explains why you should be particularly picky about the speed stat on frail Pokemon. A tiny bit of extra damage is nothing; an extra turn is huge.

Castform is a novelty Pokemon no matter what way you slice it, so I wouldn't stress out over getting great stats.

Mega-bump. I just picked this (Superior Gold) up this past weekend. I know all the cool kids are into Black and White, but it felt more appropriate to post here.

Pokewalker is cool. I get a lot of steps at work (movie theater). Caught a Magby <3 But so far, not much else cool from it.

I just beat Whitney. Angling for this as my E4 team:

Cyndaquil (Everstone ftw. I don't care much for Quilava or Typhlosion)
Togetic (being born with Extrasensory is super useful)
Donphan (why can't I catch phanpy earlier whyyy)
Ampharos
Espeon
Red Gyarados (wanted to keep it all-Johto, this is close enough and I don't like any of the Johto water pokemens)

Having a lot of fun so far, and mainly focused on filling the Pokedex, like I did with my epic Leaf Green run, which ended with 167 Pokemon owned before I burnt myself out on it.

And reading this last page DAMMIT I MISSED A MEW EVENT WHY

Btw soundtrack is AMAZING. It makes me want a full-fledged console RPG that much more, because you can tell they really want to do something amazing with the music. It's composed very well.

Spearow or Pidgey? Discuss.

Also, anyone have any recommendations for EARLY level Pokemon? I literally started the game last night and am only at Violet City/Sprout Tower.

I have a Totodile, Spearow, Pidgey, Gastly, Ekans, and Onix on my team. I know I need to pick either Spearow or Pidgey, and Ekans and Onix need to go ASAP.

I'm going to try and catch a Mareep later today. That'll leave me with 4 solid Pokemon (Totodile, Pidgey or Spearow, Gastly and Mareep) any other other good potentials?

Also, what's a good HM slave? I haven't played Pokemon in awhile, so my knowledge of how to set up my team is a bit rusty.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Keep Onix. WTF are you doing removing him unless you're going to a rock weak gym. Evolve that bastard to Steelix and own shit.

Pidgey because he looks better evolved. Spearow will always look like shit and you can get a free one on the way out of Goldenrod (that if you don't do the quest you can keep for free, forever. But really you should just breed it and then give the damn thing to the person you're delivering it to).

I don't really play competitively, so you'll have to forgive my ignorance of Steelix's apparent ownage. I remember raping Steelix during my Platinum playthru tho?

I guess my team is decently filled out for being 3 hours into the game then. Also, I guess I'll just use Sentret for now as a HM slave until someone better comes along.

Wiseblade

AHappyPanda said:
Spearow or Pidgey? Discuss.

Also, anyone have any recommendations for EARLY level Pokemon? I literally started the game last night and am only at Violet City/Sprout Tower.

I have a Totodile, Spearow, Pidgey, Gastly, Ekans, and Onix on my team. I know I need to pick either Spearow or Pidgey, and Ekans and Onix need to go ASAP.

I'm going to try and catch a Mareep later today. That'll leave me with 4 solid Pokemon (Totodile, Pidgey or Spearow, Gastly and Mareep) any other other good potentials?

Also, what's a good HM slave? I haven't played Pokemon in awhile, so my knowledge of how to set up my team is a bit rusty.

as far as going through the main game it doesn't really matter too much which bird you pick. If I had to make a choice, I'd go with Fearow because it's faster.

Unless you can trade, don't keep Onix or Gastly.

You don't really need a whole team that early. One or two overleveled Pokemon can get you through the first few Gyms until you start getting some better Pokemon.

Pidgey doesn't get any decent Flying attacks until Wing Attack at level 33. Spearow, on the other hand, gets Aerial Ace at level 17. Check their movepools and pick whomever you think you'll need more. Pidgey learns Roost naturally, but you'll get the TM from one of the early Gyms.

On another note, I bought Platinum last week and just beat the first gym. I SR'ed to get a Modest Piplup and caught about 10 Shinx before I settled on a Lonely one with Intimidate. Holding B to run sucks. :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
AHappyPanda said:
I don't really play competitively, so you'll have to forgive my ignorance of Steelix's apparent ownage. I remember raping Steelix during my Platinum playthru tho?

Steelix has been nerfed hard (like Mewtwo) since R/B/Gr/Y/Go/S/C era. But he's still a good Pokemon and in terms of "going through the story" he'll easily be the best Pokemon you can get (with the exception of Gyarados) for beating the story.

Here is some move sets if you want him to be "competitive/online."

Lone_Prodigy said:
Unless you can trade, don't keep Onix or Gastly.

You don't really need a whole team that early. One or two overleveled Pokemon can get you through the first few Gyms until you start getting some better Pokemon.

Pidgey doesn't get any decent Flying attacks until Wing Attack at level 33. Spearow, on the other hand, gets Aerial Ace at level 17. Check their movepools and pick whomever you think you'll need more. Pidgey learns Roost naturally, but you'll get the TM from one of the early Gyms.

On another note, I bought Platinum last week and just beat the first gym. I SR'ed to get a Modest Piplup and caught about 10 Shinx before I settled on a Lonely one with Intimidate. Holding B to run sucks. :(

Ya I know, but ever since R/B, I've played Pokemon games with full teams as early on as possible, IDK why, it's just the way I like to play. I like having even, balanced teams at all times.

Also, out of curiosity why the advice to get rid of Onix or Gastly? I've always liked having either a Ghost or Psychic on my team.

You can't get Steelix unless you trade it with a Metal Coat, and Onix is kind of terrible IMO.

Gengar is good, but Haunter isn't. For an in-game team though, it's sufficiently fast and if you overlevel it enough it can take out everything.

Wiseblade

AHappyPanda said:
Ya I know, but ever since R/B, I've played Pokemon games with full teams as early on as possible, IDK why, it's just the way I like to play. I like having even, balanced teams at all times.

Also, out of curiosity why the advice to get rid of Onix or Gastly? I've always liked having either a Ghost or Psychic on my team.
Because while Steelix rocks, Onix really sucks. Ghastly (or rather Haunter) is very much usable in game though and looks way cooler than Gengar.

Amneisac

I love games, but I've never gotten into Pokemon. Anyways, my 10 year old nephew has started to talk about it all the time but he doesn't have any of the games. I bought him Soul Silver for xmas because I've heard him talk about Lugia a lot.

Is this something he can enjoy as a 10 year old? I'm mean, I'm sure he'll like it, but will he be able to get it and really understand it? I'm not sure how complex it is, he just recently played his first game all the way through (Ghostbusters on xbox 360) so I'd be excited to see him get really into another one.

Red

Amneisac said:
I love games, but I've never gotten into Pokemon. Anyways, my 10 year old nephew has started to talk about it all the time but he doesn't have any of the games. I bought him Soul Silver for xmas because I've heard him talk about Lugia a lot.

Is this something he can enjoy as a 10 year old? I'm mean, I'm sure he'll like it, but will he be able to get it and really understand it? I'm not sure how complex it is, he just recently played his first game all the way through (Ghostbusters on xbox 360) so I'd be excited to see him get really into another one.
He should love it.

Despite its depth, Pokemon is one of the most accessible series around.

Amneisac said:

If he plays games a lot and understands gaming concepts, he should be fine. I played R/B when I was in 5th/6th grade and was able to get hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of hours out of the game. If he's never played a RPG before, you might need to help him out.

Granted, the game has gotten way more complex (mostly due to the increased number of Types) but the core remains the same.

On my replies : I'll probably keep Gastly so I can level him to a Haunter. The Onix I'm not sold on, but we'll see.

Wiseblade

Amneisac said:

I'm pretty sure i've seen kids just starting to learn how to read competently playing Pokémon. A 10 year old will manage just fine.

I think I know the answer here, but can you create a new game, select your starter, put it on the Pokewalker, restart your game, pick a different starter, move your original starter into that save, then you have two starters?

Firestorm

Amneisac said:

10 years old is when everyone I know played Pokemon and they started banning it from school.

I think he'll manage just fine.

In 12 years he might even have a dancing Charmander avatar.

Mush

AHappyPanda said:
I think I know the answer here, but can you create a new game, select your starter, put it on the Pokewalker, restart your game, pick a different starter, move your original starter into that save, then you have two starters?
Nope. The Pokemon is tied to your save. If the save goes, so does your Pokemon.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Mush said:
Nope. The Pokemon is tied to your save. If the save goes, so does your Pokemon.
Yup, you have to save to put it on your Pokewalker, which would clobber your old save.

Top Bottom