• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

EzLink

Banned
So if I'm remembering correctly, the natures and IVs of the roaming Pokemon are predetermined when they start to roam, right? So basically the only way to get one without a shitty nature is to be either incredibly lucky or restart and play through the whole entire game however many times it takes to get said roaming pokemon with the nature you want?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
All Fire starters are basically my usually path. I'm probably going to start with Meganium (the toughest starter in GSC) though, then we'll see after that. I already every Pokemon available, and over 120 IV bred/EV trained, so it will just be for fun. :lol

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
ryan-ts said:
Your Pokemon team should be all about battling with your favourites, like that one elite 4 said.

Maybe they'll give Beedrill the ability Speed Boost, which he so rightly deserves.

And he would still be horrifically outclassed. :(

Charmander, Totodile, and... um, I guess the leaf one. (Treecko, thanks below poster!... was never familiar with R/S/E series.)

When I first played Pokemon, I figured I wouldn't remember Pokemon types, so I named my Totodile "Water" and Geodudes "Rocky" and "Male Rocky". I will have to do the same now, for nostalgia's sake.

zumphry

Banned
For me, it'll be:

Chickorita(on HG, Cyndaquill on SS which means I'll get both for the first time, ever :D ), Squirtle on HG(Bulbasaur on SS), and Mudkip on HG(Treeko on SS).

Or I'll just decide when I get to the options next year :lol . Maybe by then I'd be able to find my Ruby/Emerald cartridges, and I'll just have to choose Mudkip on HG.

Though, I don't want to spoil too much of the game right now. :lol

Johann

Mr. Sam said:
I wanna like it, but it looks like a Digimon. A Digimon!

The design is too simple to be a champion level or above Digimon. Now, that Rayquaza fella looks like a Digimon reject.

Why would you do that? said:
Charmander, Totodile, and... um, I guess the leaf one. (Treecko, thanks below poster!... was never familiar with R/S/E series.)

When I first played Pokemon, I figured I wouldn't remember Pokemon types, so I named my Totodile "Water" and Geodudes "Rocky" and "Male Rocky". I will have to do the same now.

When I started playing Ruby, I was mad that my entire Gold team wasnt available in the game...

So I just named my new pokemon the old names. The physcic one is Haunter, the electric one is Sheepy, the bird one (early game) is Pidgey etc

ryan-ts

Johann said:
The design is too simple to be a champion level or above Digimon. Now, that Rayquaza fella looks like a Digimon reject.

Nah, the Birdramon (whatever the hell it's ultimate form was) reject looks like a Digimon dude.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
EzLink said:
So if I'm remembering correctly, the natures and IVs of the roaming Pokemon are predetermined when they start to roam, right? So basically the only way to get one without a shitty nature is to be either incredibly lucky or restart and play through the whole entire game however many times it takes to get said roaming pokemon with the nature you want?
No. Their data is usually generated right before they start roaming.

- Latias/Latios in Emerald is generated upon selecting the corresponding RED/BLUE menu option.
- The GSC roamers in FRLG are generated when you fix Celio's machine.
- Mesprit/Cresselia in DPPt are generated when you talk to their overworld sprite and they fly off.
- Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres in Plat are generated when you talk to Oak in Eterna.

So just save before initiating the event and you can soft reset until you get something satisfactory.

beje

Banned
I hope they balance the amount of pokemon in every type next generation. You know something's terribly wrong when you have several dozens of water pokémon available yet if you want a fire pokémon in D/P/Pt before the Elite 4 you are stuck with only 2, and one of them is the starter. It's not like your choices are much broadened once you get the national pokédex either. Same goes for Steel, Dark, Ghost or Dragon, just balance them out so they're not instant overkill then make MOAR, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, MOARRRR

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Didn't Plat have a few more fire guys than D/P? I can't remember for sure.

I agree in general, though. Less shitty useless cute Electrics (Plusle, Minun, Pachirisu), moar badass Ghosts plz.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
All I have to say is..

2mfje60.jpg

billy.sea

Banned
FSLink said:
It was back in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, so it's a pretty safe assumption it's back in Heart Gold/Soul Silver.
Though I wonder if they'll change around the daily events (Fridays for Lapras and such) with new events. Back then, they were really cool, but I think nowadays there's potential for much more events.

EDIT:
The TMs the Gym Leaders are giving out looks pretty nice. Sucks that their teams didn't change a bit to have more Johto Pokes. Falkner could use a Hoothoot or something.
TM51: Roost. Tons better than Mud-Slap, lol.
for Falkner
TM89: U-Turn. Decent, and not overpowered like X-Scissor would be.
for Bugsy
TM45: Attract Thought so.
for Whitney
TM30: Shadow Ball That's expected, too, haha.
for Morty

Is it me or does anybody think the day/night cycle of Diamond & Pearl suck?
I love the day/night cycle in Gold & Silver, as the pokemon appearance during day and night are quite varied. But in D&P, day and night seem pretty much the same.

I remember when I was still young playing G&S, I have to wake up or remind myself at a specific time of day to catch certain pokemon. I never have to do that in D&P.

Game has been leaked.

Also, and this is just factual, but serebii.net just got his copy at around the same time.

Just providing the facts!

*whistles.

EzLink

Banned
OMG Aero said:
I can wait for the English version. I don't need to import a copy I can't read.
Oh dear God this is killing me

If by "can wait" you mean "I'd rather have scorpions feast on my internal organs than have to go at least 6 more months without this game" then we are on the same page :/

Also, Serebii confirmed earlier that all shinies retain their shininess when following you. I think it was already talked about, but now it's official. Whoo!

thaOwner

For some odd reason, I thought this was coming out on yesterday in Japan. Don't really know why though. Eagerly waiting for the US version.

swerve

thaOwner said:
For some odd reason, I thought this was coming out on yesterday in Japan. Don't really know why though. Eagerly waiting for the US version.

It's out on Saturday 12th. Not next Thursday.

So people getting it early are only getting it 36 hours in advance.

The Rival music is awesome. I am not too sure about Ecruteaks however. It starts off all weird.

Yeah.. I don't like Ecruteaks. I wonder if it sounds differently at a different time.. hmm.

atbigelow

I'll pick this up when it gets released here, but more hesitantly. I played Pokemon pretty obsessively when I was younger, but it just feels so samey and low-tech. :(

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
From the Smogon Thread (move tutors incoming, over 50!?)

Level-up move changes:
Lugia
Weather Ball, Dragon Rush

Ho-oh
Weather Ball, Brave Bird

Kyogre
Muddy Water, Aqua Ring

Groudon
Lava Plume, Hammer Arm

Rayquaza
Hyper Voice, Air Slash

Hippopotas
Dig

Hippowdon
Dig

Dialga
Power Gem, Metal Burst

Palkia
Power Gem, Hydro Pump

Giratina
Shadow Sneak, Destiny Bond

Egg move additions:
[Bulbasaur]
Power Whip, Sludge

[Squirtle]
Water Spout

[Spearow]
FeatherDance

[Ekans]
Switcheroo

[Sandshrew]
Mud Shot

[Nidoran♀]
Skull Bash, Amnesia, Confusion, Sucker Punch, Head Smash

[Vulpix]
Power Swap

[Oddish]
Teeter Dance

[Paras]
Agility

[Diglett]
Reversal

[Meowth]
Tail Whip

[Psyduck]
Encore

[Mankey]
Encore

[Growlithe]
Morning Sun

[Poliwag]
Encore

[Machop]
Power Trick

[Bellsprout]
Weather Ball

[Tentacool]
Muddy Water

[Geodude]
Curse

[Ponyta]
Morning Sun

[Farfetch'd]
Leaf Blade

[Seel]
Stockpile, Swallow, Spit Up

[Shellder]
Rock Blast

[Gastly]
Disable

[Drowzee]
Guard Swap

[Krabby]
Agility

[Exeggcute]
Power Swap

[Cubone]
Detect

[Lickitung]
Muddy Water

[Rhyhorn]
Skull Bash

[Chansey]
Mud Bomb

[Tangela]
Power Swap

[Horsea]
Razor Wind, Muddy Water

[Goldeen]
Body Slam

[Mr. Mime]
Nasty Plot

[Eevee]
Detect

[Omanyte]
Muddy Water

[Dratini]
ExtremeSpeed

[Cyndaquil]
Extrasensory

[Totodile]
Aqua Jet

[Pichu]
Flail

[Cleffa]
Aromatherapy

[Togepi]
Extrasensory

[Wooper]
Recover

[Murkrow]
Brave Bird

[Misdreavus]
Nasty Plot

[Girafarig]
Razor Wind

[Pineco]
Power Trick

[Dunsparce]
Agility

[Gligar]
Power Trick

[Qwilfish]
Aqua Jet

[Sneasel]
Assist

[Teddiursa]
Belly Drum

[Corsola]
Curse

[Remoraid]
Water Spout

[Delibird]
Fake Out

[Skarmory]
Guard Swap

[Houndour]
Feint

[Phanpy]
Head Smash

[Stantler]
Megahorn

[Smoochum]
Nasty Plot

[Elekid]
Feint

[Magby]
Belly Drum

[Treecko]
Razor Wind

[Torchic]
FeatherDance

[Mudkip]
Yawn, Sludge

[Lotad]
Counter

[Seedot]
Power Swap

[Ralts]
Encore

[Whismur]
Hammer Arm

[Makuhita]
Feint

[Nosepass]
Head Smash

[Skitty]
Mud Bomb

[Sableye]
Feint

[Mawile]
Guard Swap

[Aron]
Head Smash

[Electrike]
Switcheroo

[Plusle]
Discharge

[Minun]
Discharge

[Wailmer]
Aqua Ring

[Numel]

[Torkoal]
Skull Bash

[Trapinch]
Mud Shot

[Cacnea]
Nasty Plot

[Swablu]
Power Swap

[Zangoose]
Disable

[Seviper]
Switcheroo

[Barboach]
Dragon Dance

[Corphish]
Dragon Dance

[Lileep]
Curse

[Anorith]
Curse

[Kecleon]
Recover

[Tropius]
Dragon Dance

[Absol]
Megahorn

[Snorunt]
Weather Ball

[Spheal]
Aqua Ring

[Clamperl]
Muddy Water

[Relicanth]
Muddy Water

[Luvdisc]
Aqua Jet

[Turtwig]

[Chimchar]
Assist

[Piplup]
FeatherDance

[Shinx]
Night Slash

[Cranidos]
Curse

[Shieldon]
Counter

[Cherubi]
Weather Ball

[Shellos]
Trump Card, Sludge

[Drifloon]
Weather Ball

[Buneary]
Flail

[Glameow]
Flail

[Stunky]
Haze

[Mime Jr.]
Nasty Plot

[Happiny]
Mud Bomb

[Gible]
Mud Shot

[Munchlax]
Counter

[Riolu]
Follow Me

[Hippopotas]
Revenge

[Croagunk]
Counter

[Snover]
Skull Bash

Feraligatr now has Aqua Jet (Azy might pick it up with a move tutor as well.. lolz, Belly Drum + Aqua Jet), Misdrevious, Jynx, Cacturne and Mr Mime have Nasty Plot. Aggron with Head Smashing action. Brave Bird for Ho-Oh, now giving him a better attack against Kyogre, and other Fire resisting Dragons not named Dialga (who is maimed by Earthquake).

vhfive

i have to stop coming into this thread. at least until the new year. i want this game so bad but its so far away :(

upandaway

You can't imagine how awesome it is to come back from school one day and find out my most anticipated blowout happened early.

I'm kind of disappointed by the sprites though. I really really liked Silver's (and Crystal's/Gold's) sprites, more than all the other versions, and they kind of made all the badass ones lame and all the lame ones kind of okay.
Was it rushed? It really looks like it. Some of the faces and proportions are weird. I don't know.
Minor nitpick but whatever. Maybe it's because I've been looking at fanart for too long.

Edit:
Worth noting that the only damage I got personally is pretty much Jolteon, but still some of them look pretty bad.

OMG Aero

TenshiOni said:
New Pokemon sprites:

http://stuff.veekun.com/hgss.png

Well, for the first two generations, at least. It looks like third and fourth gen just use the Platinum sprites.

Personal favs:
Venusaur
Arcanine
Machamp
Gengar
Gyarados
Scizor
The same website also has all the trainer sprites.
http://stuff.veekun.com/hgss-trainers.png
Red and Blue look cool, Sabrina looks strangely different and
Giovanni
makes a surprise appearance.

EzLink

Banned
upandaway said:
You can't imagine how awesome it is to come back from school one day and find out my most anticipated blowout happened early.

I'm kind of disappointed by the sprites though. I really really liked Silver's (and Crystal's/Gold's) sprites, more than all the other versions, and they kind of made all the badass ones lame and all the lame ones kind of okay.
Was it rushed? It really looks like it. Some of the faces and proportions are weird. I don't know.
Minor nitpick but whatever. Maybe it's because I've been looking at fanart for too long.

Edit:
Worth noting that the only damage I got personally is pretty much Jolteon, but still some of them look pretty bad.

Hmm, really? I'm actually really liking all the sprites.

But yeah, I love Pokemon leak days :D

2010 :(

Top Bottom