• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

Toxi

Banned
Anyway, here's a template if anyone wants to do this:

C6EGeP0.png

So many honorable mentions that almost made it; I like a lot of Pokemon.

This is my team right now:
Salamence @ Salamencite
Naive, forgot EV build(not random though)
- Dragon Dance
- EQ
- Return
- Fire Blast

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid, probably 252,252 in sp.atk and Speed
- Psyshock
- Surf
- T-Bolt
- Ice Beam

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Sassy, forgot EVs
- Curse
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion

I could replace T-Bolt for Signal Beam to deal with Dark types with Starmie, but I still can't switch in on them. Pin Missile on Ferro is meh. Mence's build seems optimal to me though. Also thinking of replacing Explosion on Ferrothorn since it almost never pays off(or I can't even get it off).
Fire Blast -> Roost, this means you need a new Mence though since you no longer need naive. However, you want a +Attack nature anyways. DDers should always be +Attack nature, preferably adamant. The reason for Roost is because it helps against annoying things. Also, Fire Blast can miss and then you're boned.

As for Starmie... I would personally switch it out for a bulky water like Suicune. I know, Suicune requires SRing, but it's amazing and totally worth it.

Fire Blast -> Roost, this means you need a new Mence though since you no longer need naive. However, you want a +Attack nature anyways. DDers should always be +Attack nature, preferably adamant. The reason for Roost is because it helps against annoying things. Also, Fire Blast can miss and then you're boned.

As for Starmie... I would personally switch it out for a bulky water like Suicune. I know, Suicune requires SRing, but it's amazing and totally worth it.

So basically play way more defensive, seems like a good plan. My Salamence has ass IV's anyway so I might as well breed a legit one.

Azuran

Banned
I joined the fun too! This is as good as my list is getting. Some of those types were painful to chose from.

tKpRAvP.png

So basically play way more defensive, seems like a good plan. My Salamence has ass IV's anyway so I might as well breed a legit one.

In the maison, I found Pokemon like Alakazam and Greninja to be invaluable because they offer so much coverage.

Breeding Eevee is quite a bit of a pain, what with the 12.5% female chance and all but it seems the RNG took pity on me:

Eevee - Modest - Anticipation - 31/0/31/30/31/30 - HP Fire

Specs Sylveon is now go!

In the maison, I found Pokemon like Alakazam and Greninja to be invaluable because they offer so much coverage.
But like, Suicune is so, so awesome. You pretty much just use Calm Mind to make it into a monster, Rest to heal away the damage, and then destroy things with Scald. For the last move you usually go Icy Wind or Substitute. Usually it's Bold with EVs in HP and Defense and a little Speed since Calm Mind boosts the other two relevant stats so much. It's pretty consistent as long as you take into account the probability of a critical hit.

Greninja's a good pick too, though. As for Alakazam, that wouldn't help with his Umbreon problem. :p

Azuran

Banned
But like, Suicune is so, so awesome. You pretty much just use Calm Mind to make it into a monster, Rest to heal away the damage, and then destroy things with Scald. For the last move you usually go Icy Wind or Substitute. Usually it's Bold with EVs in HP and Defense and a little Speed since Calm Mind boosts the other two relevant stats so much. It's pretty consistent as long as you take into account the probability of a critical hit.

Greninja's a good pick too, though. As for Alakazam, that wouldn't help with his Umbreon problem. :p

I love Suicune, but getting a good one is a pain in the ass while there's plenty of alternatives that work just as well.
If I had a good one, I wouldn't be saying this >.>

I also run Focus Blast on my Alakazam because I love living on the edge. Let's see an Umbreon survive that!
It can also run Dazzling Gleam to deal with Umbreon, but that's just not as exciting

ERJTWcs.png

Shoutouts to Magneton, Slowbro, Onix, Snorlax, Hitmonlee, and Heracross, too.

I just realised how Gen I heavy my chart is. I definitely like the Pokemon in that Gen the best, but aside from Gen IV, where I can count my favourites/the ones that aren't terrible on both hands, I like Pokemon from all of them, especially Gen II and VI.

Steel and Dark were hard to choose from, and Slowbro is my favourite Psychic type, but I class him too much as a Water Pokemon, if that makes any sense.

I love Suicune, but getting a good one is a pain in the ass while there's plenty of alternatives that work just as well.
If I had a good one, I wouldn't be saying this >.>
Hey Gentle Rodriguez, I have a Bold Suicune I caught with 31/31/X/31/27/29 IVs that I have no intention of using that I'll give you if you want it. It's not cloned or anything, either. :3 (I use one from SS for the Maison and have both OR and AS so I can farm more Suicune whenever)

Just for you Azuran, because of the horrible things you've done to me in MK8. ^_^

Vilifier

Neo Member
I am working on getting the right natures for my legendaries and I wanted to ask about regirock. He seems like a tank so I want a nature to boost his Def/SpD. Most of the guides indicate either Careful (+SpD) or Impish (+Def). Since Regirock already has high Def, is there much benefit from boosting it further or should I increase his SpD?

I am working on getting the right natures for my legendaries and I wanted to ask about regirock. He seems like a tank so I want a nature to boost his Def/SpD. Most of the guides indicate either Careful (+SpD) or Impish (+Def). Since Regirock already has high Def, is there much benefit from boosting it further or should I increase his SpD?
Do you want its SpD to be higher than 252 SpD EVs would get you to with an Impish nature?

The rule of natures is that you only boost a stat that isn't the Pokemon's highest one if you can't reach the desired value in that stat otherwise. You maximize your overall stat total that way. In this case, Impish gives 20-something points while Careful only gets you like half that, so you shouldn't go Careful unless you have to.

DaBoss

Anyone have high IV Adamant and Modest Dittos? I just noticed I don't have any and don't seem to have any in X. Can't trade at the momen though.

MicH

At 855 flags and it is going sooooo slow. The most extra flags I got today was two. Two extra flags. I need people who hunt flags pls :(

At 855 flags and it is going sooooo slow. The most extra flags I got today was two. Two extra flags. I need people who hunt flags pls :(

I get 30 flags a day myself, but no one I know is flag-hunting, so I share your pain. I only JUST got Silver Rank too. At 107. :\

Azuran

Banned
There we go, over 35 people deleted from my 3DS friend list that I haven't seen months or don't know who the hell they are when I google their FC. The only people that manage to survive are GAFers, and people who have unique friend safaris with hidden abilities that I can't catch anywhere else.

It feels so good to have some free space again.

Vilifier

Neo Member
Do you want its SpD to be higher than 252 SpD EVs would get you to with an Impish nature?

The rule of natures is that you only boost a stat that isn't the Pokemon's highest one if you can't reach the desired value in that stat otherwise. You maximize your overall stat total that way. In this case, Impish gives 20-something points while Careful only gets you like half that, so you shouldn't go Careful unless you have to.

Thanks for that, I have seen a few Impish builds, but they never say why they build like that and reading your explanation makes sense. It does seem effective to use the EVs for SpD and use impish to boost Def.

Koren

After dozens of SR, I've gotten a

Naive Rayquaza 26-27 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 26-27 / 26-27

I wish there was a 31 on speed. Now, I'm torn :/

Thinking about getting either ruby or sapphire (leaning sapphire) tomorrow at BB with the B1get1 40%, anyone have a link of a list of the pokemon/story differences between the 2 versions? Any preferences between the two versions in this thread? I skipped over the ruby/sapphire games growing up

alvmew

I'm loving my luck in Omega Ruby. I got a shiny Slakoth randomly like an hour into playing on day one, a shiny Reshiram after only ten resets, and I just hatched a shiny Bagon after twenty eggs (I was in the middle of trying to get to a perfect IV one, of course it gets only one perfect IV even though its parents are quad-perfect ones, but she got perfect attack at least and I love her <3).

Azuran

Banned
I'm loving my luck in Omega Ruby. I got a shiny Slakoth randomly like an hour into playing on day one, a shiny Reshiram after only ten resets, and I just hatched a shiny Bagon after twenty eggs (I was in the middle of trying to get to a perfect IV one, of course it gets only one perfect IV even though its parents are quad-perfect ones, but she got perfect attack at least and I love her <3).

You shouldn't have posted this on GAF. Now prepared to spent days when you SR for the next legendary on your list.

Azuran

Banned
Thinking about getting either ruby or sapphire (leaning sapphire) tomorrow at BB with the B1get1 40%, anyone have a link of a list of the pokemon/story differences between the 2 versions? Any preferences between the two versions in this thread? I skipped over the ruby/sapphire games growing up

Biggest and most important differences here:

Omega Ruby

Alpha Sapphire

Safe Search doesn't matter, but off leads to a more in-depth and educated decision

B4xjFDtCQAAf8oP.png

Well this took a whole lot more time than I expected.

Mostly followed only picking them based off their primarily type expecting Flying types since there's only like 4 of them.

Azuran

Banned
There we go. I finally finished catching 20 different nature dittos to transfer to ORAS. Now I just need to hatch some more Ralts and raise another Sylveon and I'll be done with this chore.

Macka

IT FINALLY HAPPENED! After close to 8000 resets...

BCA9hGa.png

Hardy nature. 31 in Defense, Special Attack and Speed. 0 in HP. :(

I was never planning on using him competitively anyway so it doesn't really matter. I'm just glad that ordeal is over lol. Wish my Synchronizer had worked though.

Finally back from my trip outta town. Now to get back into AS and catch that Regigi-

*already nighttime*
:(

Why did GF have to make catching these legendaries so damn convoluted? Getting to Regigigas is especially ridiculous

Muku

(Also, TCG Online is frustrating right now primarily because the card game is so messed up in general right now, as you're more or less expected to be able to have a ton of specific EXs to run damn near any halfway competitive deck, which is insane. Never mind the way that they've more or less driven the evolution mechanic out of the game, barring a handful of ones that've held on here or there.)

Is it very EX specific? That's awful to hear. Even with theme decks, I agree that the evolution thing seems to have gone by the way side for most part. Probably not as awful with them decks, but holy shit. I love the one with Yveltal but when I play it, getting the stupid thing to show is just a pain. Everyone else? It always ends up as their starter and steamrolls my poor Vulpix and Rattata.

Actually, since getting back into the TCG with TCGO, it's been a bit depressing. Well, was when I've been reading translations of cards I've been getting, but worse when I jumped into TCGO. I feel like the card game has lost something important. Before it was about evolving and all. Now it's if you don't have your one badass Pokemon at start, prepare to get steamrolled.

Game I had couple days ago was best one I had in a while. Was getting rolled early on, but came down to one prize a pop at some point. With a little fanagaling I pulled off a win, but was most fun I'd had in forever in the game.

So the tournament system isn't in place yet? I know they're just piling up. I get pissed when box at end has 4 of them in it. I dunno if I'd even use them anyway.

Bit of a curiousity question: I don't have my own Shaymin, but I have gotten my own Keldeo and Victini from past events. Do yall think I should bother getting a set of all three anyway? Or just get the Shaymin and save the rest of the cards for Shaymin? I imagine the bonus here is they get three guaranteed IVs, right?

Hatchtag

Banned
Congrats Macka! But in an ultra ball? :(

Actually Ultra Ball works well with Shiny Raikou. Probably the only shiny legend I would match the ultra ball with.
Anyways got 30 MYSTRY Mews in my game, clones in emerald then transfered up. Will be willing to trade later. If you PMd me about it a couple days ago and I didn't get back, don't worry, I'm slow as hell at replying.

Macka

Congrats Macka! But in an ultra ball? :(
I like to match Pokemon to balls, and I thought it was the most fitting. Plus it's one of my least used balls (only shared with Mawile iirc), so it's actually a nice change.

What would you have used?

Top Bottom