• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire |OT| Hoenn Finally Confirmed

JoeM86

I can't believe you are cloning and RNG in the same category as jail breaking the save file. One of them are clearly not something that is possible to within the "vanilla" game, while the other two are and cloning is possible to even without doing any of game procedures.

At best I will give you that they are a gray area, but it's not outright cheating in the same way as using save editors.

Exploiting things is still cheating. It may be possible, but it's exploiting something.

RNG abuse requires external software to find seeds in order to do it, too.

They aren't as bad as editing the savefile, but there is no doubt that they are cheating.

Joe, why does your site then have (external) tools and instructions I can use to get my desired results if you are so against it?

Examples: base stats, IV calculator, EV yields and in depth information about how to exploit and control them.

Isn't that information obtained by breaking the games open? If you are going to stand by what you are saying then everyone who EV trains outside of super training are cheaters?

Also notice that I'm holding up the "the decent of a cheat is still a cheat" paradigm from the dream ball case since both of them are the offspring of tampering with the game.

I provide tools to help, but aside from the IV Calculator, these things are available in guides too. It doesn't help people exploit glitches/holes in the game to achieve things.

Kinokou

champshmuuh.png

too much green and blue

No not at all. I was planing on going all green, but then I found a shiny Shroomish so I left that plan. But I'm still trying to go for a all green ending when I reach the league since the Breloom will show as green on the certificate.

Kinokou

Exploiting things is still cheating. It may be possible, but it's exploiting something.

RNG abuse requires external software to find seeds in order to do it, too.

They aren't as bad as editing the savefile, but there is no doubt that they are cheating.

I provide tools to help, but aside from the IV Calculator, these things are available in guides too. It doesn't help people exploit glitches/holes in the game to achieve things.

I never read any guides so I did not know that.

Not sure if it counts as RNG but how do you stand on the time travel breeding method? That one you can do for sure without any externals.

Macka

With the type chart, we putting our favs in each type category? Is it by using to battle or visuals or just our overall favorite?
I didn't really take into account how strong they are in the games with mine, just chose my favourites of each type. You can use any criteria you like, though.

Firestorm

Going to bed now as I need to wake up to play a children's card game tomorrow. Just before I do:

I said I enjoyed that it was something you could crowdsource (facilitated by cloning like we used to do in RBY) and was bringing people together. I enjoy the different ways Pokémon allows people to interact. To me that's the core Pokémon experience. Trading to finish your collection, battling, secret base hunting, multi battle against the AI (RIP Battle Factory), whatever. I love the different ways Pokémon allows people to play together. This was a new one.

Of course my Pokémon in Gen 5 were RNG'd. I already said they were. I said Pokémon XY because that's the last team I built in-game and the current game used for tournaments. I didn't find the RNG method in XY to save enough time to be worth it either.

No I didn't get a Cresselia yet but if I end up using it for next year, I likely will unless I was a specific one that nobody has in which case I'd soft reset for it. I don't understand where people are catching up here. If they want a Cresselia they can soft reset too like these people have. You'll eventually get one. I don't have a Power Save. I don't understand why people think they need one to keep up?

You are making up a definition. I already quoted you the rulebook. That is the dictionary definition as far as a tournament is concerned. If you have your own dictionary that you wrote that's cool. Nobody else is going to know it. You don't seem to understand what is and isn't enforceable either I already explained that what is enforceable is different from what is written there. I sort of need to know the differences as a tournament organizer and judge. If it is unclear I can help in the morning.

Muku

Edit: Found the sprites

Where are they? Saw you ask and was like "Good, cuz I dunno where they are." Then you edit. xD

Edit: Okay, I feel a bit lost. When the hell did Gyarados get to be Dark type? I knew it could learn Bite, but didn't it used to be Water/Flying?

Firestorm

Yeah Stella! Gastrodon is a great example for me of a Pokémon I didn't care about that I have a huge soft spot for now :D I think Sejun Park and Pachirisu will probably go down as the one that takes the cake for that example though. He must love the thing now.
TCGO is pretty horribly designed. It's like flash crap on my iPad. So ugly, loads like ass, craps out on me a lot, and indeed can be confusing as hell. Like the gems, which you just cleared up for me, LOL. I'd rather just get physical stuff if paying same price.

Thing with TCGO trading is packs and all you buy with the in-game currency you earn, says you can't trade any of those. Which is okay with me ultimately, because I'm trying to build up my digital collection. But I don't get why even then I can't trade them. I put time into building up my in-game currency since I long maxed out the offline stupid NPC stuff to get coins.

Did they swap over who handles it? Because it's pretty awful. I figure you can make decks and battle friends, but from what I gathered you could only use decks with random strangers online. If not... I might have to look into it further. I've been not putting a deck together because I want to do one based around my fav Eeveelution. But haven't gotten lucky out of the two packs he can come out of. ><

Would have been great before yen dropped through floor, LOL. :( Actually a while back would have been good, but actually in process of packing to move. So soon it won't be a hassle to get But thank you for the links. :)
If there is a way to export what you're missing or your collection in some way -- or if you have that in a doc, PM me and I'll see if I have old stuff I have you need that aren't useful to me anymore.

Wichu

I'm just going to share my views on the IVs matter.

Yes, RNG/cloning/etc could be considered cheating in a sense. However, I believe that they're actually fair in a tournament setting - without them, the person with the best Pokémon is the person with the best luck and/or most time to spend doing pointless tasks. RNG and cloning equalised that playing field, and made the competitive game what it should be - a completely fair battle between two trainers, where pre-battle luck/time don't factor into it.

I think that one of the issues here is that Joe doesn't believe the same thing (that each player's Pokémon should be at their maximum potential to guarantee a fair game) - however, most competitive players would disagree with him on that.

I do like IVs as an in-game thing, so I'm actually (mostly) fine with the way it is now. IVs still exist, but the breeding system lets you max out your Pokémon for competitive play. I would like there to be a way to guarantee perfect IVs on legendary Pokémon, however (three perfects each time is a good start).

Is RNG still cheating if you do the research/calculations yourself, without using any third-party programs? Is just knowing the game internals, and using that knowledge, cheating?

MicH

Where are they? Saw you ask and was like "Good, cuz I dunno where they are." Then you edit. xD

Edit: Okay, I feel a bit lost. When the hell did Gyarados get to be Dark type? I knew it could learn Bite, but didn't it used to be Water/Flying?
Only his mega is Water/Dark

Muku

Yeah Stella! Gastrodon is a great example for me of a Pokémon I didn't care about that I have a huge soft spot for now :D I think Sejun Park and Pachirisu will probably go down as the one that takes the cake for that example though. He must love the thing now.
If there is a way to export what you're missing or your collection in some way -- or if you have that in a doc, PM me and I'll see if I have old stuff I have you need that aren't useful to me anymore.

Is there a way to do it in browser? If not would have to be manually I guess. I only got in recently when it came to iPad really. But you know I should take a digital count of my stuff. I do it with my physical collection.

Edit: Ah, okay thank you MicH. Looking on Serebii under specific types and saw under Dark it was listed. Guess it was pulling the Mega info off the page instead.

Edit 2: Thank you Macka! Used to have that bookmarked.. swapped browsers recently, guess that site didn't get moved over. :(

Kouriozan

Just checked how to get all the legendaries, apparently Cresselia is super rare.
I found it on my 3rd day but it was when I thought legendaries's mirage spot only appeared every 8 hours when you connect to internet to update mirage islands/secret bases (Yes, that was stupid from me).

And I'm serious.
Everytime I connected to internet and got the mirage spot update message, I used roar and always found a legendary, then wait the next day to repeat the process and it never failed. Guess I was also lucky to meet the requirement for those too.
Welp.

How can you get your hands on a shiny Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde? I figured they were shiny locked in XY and saw someone with all three in a secret base. Nintendo says they can be caught in ORAS, but I have no idea if it's true or not.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
How can you get your hands on a shiny Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde? I figured they were shiny locked in X and saw someone with all three in a secret base. Nintendo says they can be caught in ORAS, but I have no idea if it's true or not.
Nah, they hacked them in XY and are shiny locked; can't be caught in ORAS.

Macka

You made it much prettier, HawthorneKitty :)

Milotic/Talonflame/Aggron/Zigzagoon/Umbreon/Scizor <3 Good choices. What is that legend though? I see Charmander lol.

Thanks for the template! I was surprised at how easy most of these choices were.
No worries :)

Gligar/Donphan/Hitmontop/Crobat/Gengar/Krookodile/Lugia are high up in my rankings too.

ffdgh

You made it much prettier, HawthorneKitty :)

Milotic/Talonflame/Aggron/Zigzagoon/Umbreon/Scizor <3 Good choices. What is that legend though? I see Charmander lol.

No worries :)

Gligar/Donphan/Hitmontop/Crobat/Gengar/Krookodile/Lugia are high up in my rankings too.

Mew

Martian

FUCK!

Post game spoilers
I just killed Deoxys with my Mightyena because it had a goddamn critical hit. Why doesnt it save after capturing Rayquaza?

General question: what postgame stuff is there besides episode delta? More pokemon? Different areas?

Macka

I just killed Deoxys with my Mightyena because it had a goddamn critical hit. Why doesnt it save after capturing Rayquaza?
It respawns atop Sky Pillar the next time you defeat the Elite 4.

General question: what postgame stuff is there besides episode delta? More pokemon? Different areas?
Not much. No new areas, but there are a bunch of legendaries you can catch in mirage spots that can only be accessed by Soaring on Lati@s. Then there's the Battle Resort which has the Battle Maison (which is a direct cut & paste from X&Y). That's it. :(

Muku

mychart_zps8f89b4d6.png

This took me a while. Few of them it's kind of a tie for multiple things. Like the Mega there are a few I really dig (and Electabuzz... Electabuzz, Magmar, and Scyther were my original series fav Pokemon with Pikachu). Electric I went with my basic default, but I also dig Ampharos. My Grass addition is a recent love for that turtle with a tree on his back because he looks like a badass.

After putting it together, I realized how many original Pokemon there were...

imP9VAG.jpg

Went with primary types where possible, unless I really had a favorite with that particular secondary type (looking at you, Gardevoir & Talonflame).

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Ground was the hardest for me to decide; then I remembered WooperZ.
I was also surprised how balanced the generations were.

With what you can get legendaries for on GTS I think I have the consensus that players either hate legendaries or hate doing any of the following:
-Breeding for IVs
-Leveling up
-Slightly convoluted evolution methods
-Earning the Starf or Lansat berry themselves

I'm also surprised as I'd expect everyone to dump their worthless Kanto dogs (with the 4*0 IV) on offers now when they could but I was putting up but nope I get Gen VI ones.

I support IVs, besides, gotta get dat Hidden Power/ 0 speed/ 0 attack.
I wonder when hidden power will get reworked. I feel a physical version is overdue (see Giga Impact) but also no HP Fairy is a little odd. Then there is the fact HP fighting is now impossible for legendaries to have (3 perfect IVs stops HP fighting from happening).

Muku

So much Cradily love. <3

Haven't bred any because of no dusk ball. :{

Gengar, Umbreon, Gardevoir, and Lugia are really popular. :O

Kind of surprised about that too. Umbreon, Lugia, and Pikachu are my top favs, so interesting to see two of three get that kind of love. Though my husband always loves to call Umbreon his Japanese name, "Blackie". Haha.

Lugia is best Gen 2 bird. End. Of. Story. Ain't got no room for Ho-oh on this party bus.

MicH

Kind of surprised about that too. Umbreon, Lugia, and Pikachu are my top favs, so interesting to see two of three get that kind of love. Though my husband always loves to call Umbreon his Japanese name, "Blackie". Haha.

Lugia is best Gen 2 bird. End. Of. Story. Ain't got no room for Ho-oh on this party bus.
I think I like Ho-Oh just a teeny tiny bit more than Lugia, but they're both so damn awesome.

Also my favorite electric Pokemon is actually Manectric despite having Pikachu as my avatar :p Gimme Manectric version pls

Muku

I think I like Ho-Oh just a teeny tiny bit more than Lugia, but they're both so damn awesome.

Also my favorite electric Pokemon is actually Manectric despite having Pikachu as my avatar :p Gimme Manectric version pls

BLASPHEMY! Naw.. Manectric is pretty cool too. :)

I bet it has to do with the anime!
Lugia and Umbreon were both prominent in the Johto anime!
Blackie is cuter than Umbreon so I agree. :)

Muku

I bet it has to do with the anime!
Lugia and Umbreon were both prominent in the Johto anime!
Blackie is cuter than Umbreon so I agree. :)

Were they? I only watched the Kanto stuff. Even then it became sporadic after a certain point in time. It was originally on Saturday morning, right? If so I know exactly why I stopped watching it then. Pokemon League came into town and my morning was better spent at the league having fun. :3

Edit: Blackie is kind of cool, but at same time more descriptive of the Pokemon than a name. Haha.

Were they? I only watched the Kanto stuff. Even then it became sporadic after a certain point in time. It was originally on Saturday morning, right? If so I know exactly why I stopped watching it then. Pokemon League came into town and my morning was better spent at the league having fun. :3
There was a mini arc involving a Lugia and its baby being captured by Team Rocket.

Gary's Eevee also evolved into an Umbreon. :)

Edit: forgot about Pokemon 2000 as well!

MicH

Edit: Blackie is kind of cool, but at same time more descriptive of the Pokemon than a name. Haha.
Pokemon 2000! The second Pokemon movie. Lugia's theme is so good

Muku

Pokemon 2000! The second Pokemon movie. Lugia's theme is so good

That's true. I did see first three movies at theater. First was on my own. Second two were due to work at a day care. Had field trips to go see the movies. Worked for me. Got me the cards and kids wanted to leave and talk Pokemon.

Edit: ffdgh, I actually kind of wanted to put Espeon in. Espeon is up there with Alakazham for me. But I already had two Eeveelutions and it felt like overkill. :( Sylveon is there because well.. not overly a fan of look of Fairy Pokemon. Almost went with Marill though. He's up there. Though kind of miss some of the Fairy Pokemon old typing.

favhnufh.png

Fighting type was realy hard. It's my favourite, and I really couldn't choose between Machamp, Primeape, all the Hitmons, Hariyama, Breloom and Hawlucha. I ultimately settled with Hitmonchan because Boxing is my favourite, and the one that I actually know myself.

My choices are probably odd lol

Top Bottom