• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

Tirael

Marrowak -- Back in the GSC era that item made it attack stat-wise the Mega Mawile of its day (stats capped at 999 in pre-RS era which Marrowak reached with one swords dance), though even with those numbers it still faced many 2-3HKOs...(GSC was very much a stall era)

Indeed. On top of all that, its signature move, Bonemarang, hits twice. So it beats up Sturdys and Focus Banders that are weak to it. It also goes well in a Trick Room team if you run it Brave with 0 IVs.

MicH

I guess so, considering that Curselax was considered the strongest pokemon in the game.

Careful, despite its high defense it's still pretty fragile. Also, Talonflame will be your bane when using it. If you want I still have a few 4 IV Pinsirs left.
Yeah, it's very situational, but I think it would be very fun to use. And I would definitely love one of those 4 iV ones :eek:

What would you like in return? I have

3-5 IV Adamant Beldum (haven¨t checked IVs)
3-5 IV Timid Trace Ralts (haven't checked IVs)
2-3 IV Modest Serene Grace Togepi w/ Nasty Plot
4 IV Modest Larvesta
4-5 IV Jolly Scyther (some have Swarm (male), can be used to breed with a Technician females)
4 IV Adamant Thick Fat Swinub w/ Icicle Crash and Stealth Rock
4 IV Adamant Contrary Inkay
4 IV Relaxed Ferroseed w/ Leech Seed and Stealth Rocks

I might have something else that I'm forgetting

Inotti

How do you guys use special characters outside of é

When you are typing a text there's a arrow in the left which allows you to switch to symbols like heart and note etc. Some special characters like ä, ö and ü are only available in different language versions (in this case German version).

Tiamant

Now you know the terror of Marowak for yourself.

Funny thing is I used Bonemerang (50+50) and left him in the red, he used Earthquake (100) and one shotted me, I don't know if maison shenanigans were in play.

Starmie not missing a single hydrobomb while not a single one of my +5 scalds never burning also helped.

Anyway, 140bp in one round and I've advanced from round 23 to 40, I'm happy!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
When you are typing a text there's a arrow in the left which allows you to switch to symbols like heart and note etc. Some special characters like ä, ö and ü are only available in different language versions (in this case German version).

Oh... laaaame :(

It wasn't like that before :/

PK Gaming

Yeah don't get me wrong, Mega Gengar is still a really good Pokemon. But man, people were losing their shit of over Shadow Tag Gengar, haha. That turn needed to Mega Evolve really does make a difference imo.

Mega Kangaskhan is a good check to Mega Gengar. Switch in the turn Mega Gengar evolves, possibly absorb a STAB Shadow Ball at no damage due to immunity, and then Sucker Punch him next turn.

I'm fairly certain Mega Kangaskhan is the best Mega. Well, unless you count legendaries, then one of the Mewtwos might take the cake.

Not if it's using Substitute :p

In fact, GENGAR is one of the best Mega Kangaskhan checks in the game.

ZenaxPure

Mega Kangaskhan's ability should be nerfed. A damaging Swords Dance? What the shit? Just don't make secondary effects activate on the second hit and we've got something still strong, but unbroken.

It's so dumb I love it. A guy I fought in triples was using a strategy where he would roleplay his Mega Kanga and it was hilarious. I decided to make (part of) a doubles team based around it with Delphox. Not only do I get a damaging swords dance, I also get a fire attack that lowers sp. atk by two stages! Hilarious, fun, and broken times all around.

I dreamt about them last night. The hordes and hordes of those demons. I could hear them in the trees, laughing like something you can only explain while slumbering. There were so many... their dark purple skin... their pale jewel eyes... the flashing red gems on their chests... I couldn't escape them. No matter how many I lost in that jungle, there were hundreds more to replace them.

I fear I may never reach that temple where the oft rumored ancient Sableye resides. They say that it shines of a light completely unknown to us. That it's skin's hue is a rich brown, so different from the Sableye who've been haunting me. Is it all just a myth? Do I dare continue on this dreary path? I long for a freedom from this place, but some unknown force pulls me forward. I am so tired.

So tired...

upandaway

Hoppip's killing me. Both parents (hoppips) are 4 IVs and I've gotten through like 20 eggs without a 5 IV one. And it already took me longer than usual to get to this point because I was going for the HA.

MicH

I dreamt about them last night. The hordes and hordes of those demons. I could hear them in the trees, laughing like something you can only explain while slumbering. There were so many... their dark purple skin... their pale jewel eyes... the flashing red gems on their chests... I couldn't escape them. No matter how many I lost in that jungle, there were hundreds more to replace them.

I fear I may never reach that temple where the oft rumored ancient Sableye resides. They say that it shines of a light completely unknown to us. That it's skin's hue is a rich brown, so different from the Sableye who've been haunting me. Is it all just a myth? Do I dare continue on this dreary path? I long for a freedom from this place, but some unknown force pulls me forward. I am so tired.

So tired...
:(

I hope you get it soon. I am still breeding Beldums too, but the 10k steps per egg is tough. I have to it in small doses

Korosenai

Hoppip's killing me. Both parents (hoppips) are 4 IVs and I've gotten through like 20 eggs without a 5 IV one. And it already took me longer than usual to get to this point because I was going for the HA.
Usually what I do when breeding is get 5 eggs, hatch them, and if they dont have the desirable iv distribution then ill turn down the 6th egg and repeat.

PK Gaming

I have a similar problem, i'm still trying to breed a 5IV Aron. Can somebody post the Egg IV trick again?

daripad

Ok, I finally got a 5 IV Shroomish but it wasn't a perfect one and didn't have HA. Fortunately it was male so I'll just use the 4 IV female I was using with this guy and more 5IV Shroomish with HAd willl surely come. Now about the nature...this is going to be a pain in the ass

Inotti

Ok, I finally got a 5 IV Shroomish but it wasn't a perfect one and didn't have HA. Fortunately it was male so I'll just use the 4 IV female I was using with this guy and more 5IV Shroomish with HAd willl surely come. Now about the nature...this is going to be a pain in the ass

I usually get the nature right first before I start worrying about IV's because it would be a bummer if I got perfect IV mon with desired ability but with wrong nature. :p And remember to use everstone to pass down right nature.

Boogiepop

What's the deal with people ending up with the wrong nature in their breeds? Is the common procedure not Everstone and Destiny Knot?

Also, is there any trick to getting those last 2 EVs when EV training a stat? The guide I'm using suggests killing a singular Pokemon of the horde, but can you just kill 1 in the horde then run, or do you have to find a separate battle? Because finding horde Pokemon in a separate encounter is definitely not the fastest way to deal with that.

So tired...

What a sad read. : / Maybe you should take a break and enjoy a few battles!

Lost because Meowstic got hit by a critical even though I specifically set up Light Screen to prevent it from being knocked out too quickly, and then Machamp got burned and died of burn damage after two turns when I should have won easily.

This game is kind of a complete joke.

:|

I need a really good Defensive Pokemon that can shut down ChoiceChomps and Talonflames. Suggestions?

Assault Vest Avalugg has worked for me. After Brave Bird recoil it can one-shot Talonflame with Avalanche or more broadly OHKO it with Rock Slide. Likewise, Avalanche generally minces Garchomp.

Mold Breaker Quakers. I find Excadrill useful if you can predict an electric, and will run faster unless he uses Choice Scarf.

Shit, I didn't even think of that. I guess Haxorus could tank Rotom even if it's slower thanks to Lum Berry dealing with that first Will-O-Wisp and give me a free DD in the process.

McNum

Huh, this game has a neat little thing if you play it on your birthday.

Remember to visit a Pokémon Center on your birthday. There's a few changes there.
Like a surprise party being thrown as you enter, a giant cake on the screen, a different healing message from the nurse... and this.

Gotta hand it to Game Freak, they don't do "small" when it comes to easter eggs.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Dropping the PokéBOMB on you guys!

PokéBOMB: Hitoshi Ariga designed some of the new Pokémon for X/Y

xhhjRHs.jpg

Source

Art Director Sugimori gave me the all clear to tell everyone, so I finally get to make a few announcements about work that I have been doing recently.

I had a hand in the new 3DS game "Pocket Monsters XY". Specifically, I designed some new Pokemon! (listed below)
- Pangoro
- Inkay
- Malamar
- Honedge
- Doublade
- Aegislash
- Tyrunt
- Tyrantrum
- Amaura
- Aurorus

I've actually been doing video game work for quite a while now (over two decades), including projects for things like PCE, MD, and SFC.
Apparently the Pokemon art director, Sugimori, had taken notice of some of my past work and that's why he asked me if I'd be interested in doing some design work for Pokemon XY.

So in some ways, designing Pokemon for XY was like an extension of my days of drawing monsters for "ActRaiser 2" and "Beyond Oasis". I am a Pokemon Trainer as well as an illustrator, so needless to say I was incredibly honored and pleased to have this opportunity.

I just thought the Pokemon XY players following me might find this information interesting!

In case you were wondering why you instantly liked some of the new Pokémon.

For the record, this is the guy who did Rockman Megamix/Gigamix and a TON of famous artwork.

PK Gaming

I need a really good Defensive Pokemon that can shut down ChoiceChomps and Talonflames. Suggestions?

Uh...

You won't usually find one because their counters are on the opposite ends of the spectrum.

But the closest one I can think of is physically defensive Slowbro. That thing can beat most Garchomps & Talonflames if its healthy.

Tirael

What's the deal with people ending up with the wrong nature in their breeds? Is the common procedure not Everstone and Destiny Knot?

Everstone + Destiny Knot is my preferred way. Get both natures first, and then if I'm having a hard time getting stats to pass down, I can sacrifice Everstone for a Power Item until I get a better parent. As long as one parent has the right nature, it's cake.

Power Item + Destiny Knot is a great way to pass down stats, but it's hard to work Nature in there after a certain point, so I'm right there with you.

Has anyone tried seeing what Scizor does in Amie yet?

EDIT: Or Malamar, for that matter? I can just picture it looking grim as shit smiling at you no matter what you do.

"I appreciate the baked good, human. Your demise will be quick and painless."

So tired...

Dont give up now. I believe in you.

MicH

You should've been going for Swords Dance instead of the Roost to get to full health (when you were around 1/2).

Yeah, I don't run Swords Dance. Used to use Choice Band (not with Roost though). Should definitely get it, that would've helped

Meier

Just came across and caught Mewtwo with a Dusk ball. He had full health and was asleep. Third ball stuck. Thank goodness it worked because Chatot was my only Pokemon with me over level 40 and he was just 64. :lol

Rawk Hawk

Little late to the party, but just added my name to the google doc Team Y, just got through the main story line and started checking out Safari's and breeding a team, so feel free to add me.

Yeah, it's very situational, but I think it would be very fun to use. And I would definitely love one of those 4 iV ones :eek:

What would you like in return? I have

3-5 IV Adamant Beldum (haven¨t checked IVs)
3-5 IV Timid Trace Ralts (haven't checked IVs)
2-3 IV Modest Serene Grace Togepi w/ Nasty Plot
4 IV Modest Larvesta
4-5 IV Jolly Scyther (some have Swarm (male), can be used to breed with a Technician females)
4 IV Adamant Thick Fat Swinub w/ Icicle Crash and Stealth Rock
4 IV Adamant Contrary Inkay
4 IV Relaxed Ferroseed w/ Leech Seed and Stealth Rocks

I might have something else that I'm forgetting

Do you still have that Swinub?

J. Bravo

about to start making a team. where do I start? I've got a few ditto safaris. I've got a few good IV pokes. but how do I even figure out what i want on my team?

edit: since top of the page, I guess I could start by asking neiteio for that bold sturdy carbink he bred me :p
also I probably should do the post game stuff first.

Top Bottom