• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

Ok so I've started IV breeding. I have two Ditto:

#1 has perfect: Attack, Sp. Attack, Speed
#2 has perfect: HP, Defense, Sp. Defense

I put #1 with a Litwick and hatched a Litwick with perfect Attack, Sp. Attack, and Speed.

Do I breed the hatched Litwick with Ditto #2 in order to get the other three stats perfect (is this how it works?)? And do I give the Destiny Knot to Ditto #2 or Litwick?

I apologize if my post is confusing..

Holmes

That's it, I give up

Breeding for a 5IV Rotom is too difficult w/o a 4IV Ditto (lol).

If anyone has a spare 5IV Rotom for trade i'll be happy to make you a great offer. (Modest or Bold pls)
I'm breeding a Modest Rotom with a 4 IV Ditto. If I end up with two, I will keep you in mind.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Ok so I've started IV breeding. I have two Ditto:

#1 has perfect: Attack, Sp. Attack, Speed
#2 has perfect: HP, Defense, Sp. Defense

I put #1 with a Litwick and hatched a Litwick with perfect Attack, Sp. Attack, and Speed.

Do I breed the hatched Litwick with Ditto #2 in order to get the other three stats perfect (is this how it works?)? Or is it even worth getting the other stats for a Litwick?

I apologize if my post is confusing..
Yes, you are correct, but you should have started with a Lampent with 2 Perfect IVs since you can find those in the Safari, unless that Litwick of your has something special. Why would you want attack on it?

Brofield

Hey, dumb question, and I think I already know based on what I've dug up, but is it possible to get the Mega Evolution stones more than once? So far I only see it available on rotation for the Kanto starters, but I wonder if it's possible for the likes of
Aerodactyl and Gengar
to buy them in-game.

Firestorm

Deified Data said:
This is why I play unranked randoms so often. You see a lot of experimental teams - it's not like ranked where everything is super formulaic and you know exactly who your opponent is going to use before the battle begins.
This is such a frustrating mindset to see. Pokemon has such depth and room for creativity but it seems so many people can't see past just what species something is. A Pokemon battle is more than what's shown on team preview.

Busaiku

Hey, dumb question, and I think I already know based on what I've dug up, but is it possible to get the Mega Evolution stones more than once? So far I only see it available on rotation for the Kanto starters, but I wonder if it's possible for the likes of
Aerodactyl and Gengar
to buy them in-game.

You can only buy the 3 Kanto starter stones, but others can be found throughout the game (after beating the Champion).

OceanBlue

Yay, thanks to fek I'm that much closer to getting a good HP Lilligant with Chlorophyll.

Once I manage to breed one, I'm wondering who I should use along with it. I was planning on using these three as a sun team for 3v3s:

Rotom-H with Leftovers, Sitrus Berry, or Heat Rock
Lilligant with Life Orb or Focus Sash
Dragonite with Assault Vest, Weakness Policy, or Leftovers

That being said, I'm not sure whether Dragonite is a great choice (since Lilligant is already weak to ice). Also, I'm kinda worried about Pokemon like Greninja and Starmie since Rotom-H is kinda slow. Does this seem okay?

Yes, you are correct, but you should have started with a Lampent with 2 Perfect IVs since you can find those in the Safari, unless that Litwick of your has something special. Why would you want attack on it?

I started with a Lampent from the Safari with a Rash nature. I didn't set out for an attack Litwick, but I wanted to use the Attack/Sp.Attack/Speed Ditto because it has Sp.Attack/Speed.

So now that I have a Litwick with Attack/Sp.Attack/Speed, I can breed it with the HP/Sp. Defense/Defense Ditto. I give the Destiny Knot to Ditto now right?

I appreciate the help!

Edit: Somehow I got a Attack/Sp.Attack/Sp.Def/Speed Litwick from Ditto #1 and Lampent. I guess I should use that one with Ditto #2.

yeah ranked seems to essentially be the same pokemon almost every single game. and when I tried to do unranked, first match was entirely legendaries with a charizard and I don't know why someone would do that. other than they're probably like twelve. I want to be able to win with the pokemon I like rather than what is going to roll the other team but most people just tell me that's not feasible.

I was running with starmie, mawile, gourgeist, and garchomp but I'm going to replace starmie and gourgeist with volcarona and hydreigon for the time being.

Those people are wrong and are just salty from losing too much. Don't let other people's failings dictate how you compose your team. I can't stress enough how important it is to occasionally zone out the smogonites and do your own thing.

Incidentally I think your first team sounds more formidable than your second.

This is such a frustrating mindset to see. Pokemon has such depth and room for creativity but it seems so many people can't see past just what species something is. A Pokemon battle is more than what's shown on team preview.
It's a mindset that forms organically in reaction to all the formulaic teams in ranked. Don't blame me for it.

Edit: Unless you're referring to the mindset that makes people choose from a shallow list of "competitive" Pokemon and movesets because they're afraid to experiment in case they don't meet with success, in which case I agree with you.

PK Gaming

Exactly!

Let me give you guys an example: You know how everybody and their mother are using Talonflame right? Well I heard at higher levels, players still carry it, but they seldom use it in battle because there's so much anti-Talonflame technology. New trends are starting to pop up, and i've even heard talk of players using Tyrantrum.

The sky's the limit when it comes to a game like Pokemon, that mentality only serves to hold you back.

unreon

Those Hall of Fame pictures you get for first beating the Elite 4 - how do I get in on that? I'm finding it incredibly frustrating trying to look for it online.

If someone could help me, that'd be fantastic.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I started with a Lampent from the Safari with a Rash nature. I didn't set out for an attack Litwick, but I wanted to use the Attack/Sp.Attack/Speed Ditto because it has Sp.Attack/Speed.

So now that I have a Litwick with Attack/Sp.Attack/Speed, I can breed it with the HP/Sp. Defense/Defense Ditto. I give the Destiny Knot to Ditto now right?

I appreciate the help!

Edit: Somehow I got a Attack/Sp.Attack/Sp.Def/Speed Litwick from Ditto #1 and Lampent. I guess I should use that one with Ditto #2.
My bad, for some reason I read that you wanted all 3 IVs from the first Ditto. Do you have your nature set though? If so, carry on.

Those Hall of Fame pictures you get for first beating the Elite 4 - how do I get in on that? I'm finding it incredibly frustrating trying to look for it online.

If someone could help me, that'd be fantastic.
That picture is in the Pokemon Global Link. You'll have to screen capture it though.

Those people are wrong and are just salty from losing too much. Don't let other people's failings dictate how you compose your team. I can't stress enough how important it is to occasionally zone out the smogonites and do your own thing.

It's a mindset that forms organically in reaction to all the formulaic teams in ranked. Don't blame me for it.

Edit: Unless you're referring to the mindset that makes people choose from a shallow list of "competitive" Pokemon and movesets because they're afraid to experiment in case they don't meet with success, in which case I agree with you.

Seconded. I mean hell, half of the reason I have any success against smogonites is because my team is deliberately not founded on their metagame while still staying in the limitations.

An entire page removed from Uncharted Territory because Assault Vest Avalugg isn't viable? That's why it can not only tank Stone Edges from some of the beefiest threats in OU and still hold its ground against not only Focus Blast users, but withstand any and all fire attacks (even with Flash Fire active) from Heatran, right?

Malamar's going to get dumped into UU? Then why is it checking Aegislash and generally fucking over any and all Sticky Web users?

Chandelure's too weak to keep up this gen? Yeah, tell that to Infiltrator Chandelure when it's the only thing between you and getting double-teamed by Trevenant and Klefki.

Tenck

yeah ranked seems to essentially be the same pokemon almost every single game. and when I tried to do unranked, first match was entirely legendaries with a charizard and I don't know why someone would do that. other than they're probably like twelve. I want to be able to win with the pokemon I like rather than what is going to roll the other team but most people just tell me that's not feasible.

I was running with starmie, mawile, gourgeist, and garchomp but I'm going to replace starmie and gourgeist with volcarona and hydreigon for the time being.

If you're fighting the same pokemon teams over and over again, then that means you should easily be winning. No one team is unbeatable. There are weaknesses to every Pokemon team strategy.

Maybe mass breed a bunch of Pokemon that you know are competively viable and experiment with teams you don't normally run. Right now I've bred like 20 Pokemon but I keep sticking with the same three I had in mind from the beginning most of the time. Now if I get countered a lot I got 17 others to choose from.

PK Gaming

Seconded. I mean hell, half of the reason I have any success against smogonites is because my team is deliberately not founded on their metagame while still staying in the limitations.

An entire page removed from Uncharted Territory because Assault Vest Avalugg isn't viable? That's why it can not only tank Stone Edges from some of the beefiest threats in OU and still hold its ground against not only Focus Blast users, but withstand any and all fire attacks (even with Flash Fire active) from Heatran, right?

Malamar's going to get dumped into UU? Then why is it checking Aegislash and generally fucking over any and all Sticky Web users?

Chandelure's too weak to keep up this gen? Yeah, tell that to Infiltrator Chandelure when it's the only thing between you and getting double-teamed by Trevenant and Klefki.
Rule #1: The tier literally just deal with how common a Pokemon is, they aren't a metric for determining how good a Pokemon is.

None of the top players even care about them, they're only concerned with how good a Pokemon is, that's the bottomline. That's why you see Tangrowth and Slowbro at high level play (UU / RU) and why you DON'T see stuff like Jolteon.( OU) Do OU Pokemon tend to be good? Yes. Are the always good? No. Are UU/RU/NU Pokemon unviable in standard? Hell-to-the no.

As for Avalugg, I imagine that Assault Vest is much better in 3v3 than 6v6. You are talking about 3v3 right?

Wait what all 4 of the Pokemon you currently have are pretty good. >_> You just need back-ups that deal with the Pokemon you're having trouble with. The issue isn't that you're using your favorites, it's that you aren't taking advantage of all of your slots!

Packing Volcarona and Hydreigon instead won't help because both hate Talonflame and Greninja. You aren't fixing your fundamental issue - a lack of a way to deal with certain threats.

What I'm saying is that just looking at that team makes it clear it's Talonflame and Greninja weak, and *that* is why you have issues with them. It's not 'cuz you're using your favorites, it's because you aren't using *6* favorites and choosing the ones that will win against the opposing team!

#1 Rule: The tier literally just deal with how common a Pokemon is, they aren't a metric for determining how good a Pokemon is.

None of the top players even care about them, they're only concerned with how good a Pokemon is. That's why you see Tangrowth and Slowbro at high level play (UU / RU) and why you DON'T see stuff like Jolteon.( OU)

As for Avalugg, I imagine that Assault Vest is much better in 3v3 than 6v6. You are talking about 3v3 right?

I usually just do 6v6 Singles on Showdown.

MicH

Using Sylveon on my German Y playthrough. And it has Pixilate which is amazing. When I bred some 'mons for Busaiku he must have sent me an Anticipation Eevee <3

Yea, I still need help, that would be great. Thanks a lot.

It will take about 13 Pokemon if that is fine with you?

My FC: 1736-0341-1378
Sure, that's totally fine. Are you sure that's all you need to move over though? I can take more than that if you need me too.

Just send me a trade request! (Merick)

Tenck

In my family we like to give each other gifts early, and I got a 2DS from my cousin (I sold my old 3DS for a Japanese 3DS and never told him I had a new one). Now I'm sitting here contemplating whether I should buy Pokemon X and try Masuda method. Someone stop my crazy idea!

hCF2CBD0F

Hawlucha is the greatest Flying-type of all time.

I might be giving in too early so you're right. Just sooo many people arguing about how everything apparently revolves around math/stats/etc completely.

If you're fighting the same pokemon teams over and over again, then that means you should easily be winning. No one team is unbeatable. There are weaknesses to every Pokemon team strategy.

Maybe mass breed a bunch of Pokemon that you know are competively viable and experiment with teams you don't normally run. Right now I've bred like 20 Pokemon but I keep sticking with the same three I had in mind from the beginning most of the time. Now if I get countered a lot I got 17 others to choose from.

this is a good idea. I definitely should mass breed more pokes. so far I only have the ones mentioned before and a glaceon. I think Arcanine and Ninetales might be next on my makin' list.

Wait what all 4 of the Pokemon you currently have are pretty good. >_> You just need back-ups that deal with the Pokemon you're having trouble with. The issue isn't that you're using your favorites, it's that you aren't taking advantage of all of your slots!

Packing Volcarona and Hydreigon instead won't help because both hate Talonflame and Greninja. You aren't fixing your fundamental issue - a lack of a way to deal with certain threats.

What I'm saying is that just looking at that team makes it clear it's Talonflame and Greninja weak, and *that* is why you have issues with them. It's not 'cuz you're using your favorites, it's because you aren't using *6* favorites and choosing the ones that will win against the opposing team!

ahhhh you are right! I've been ignoring my last two pokemon in hopes the first four were good enough. to be honest strategy is completely beyond me. I don't really know what to teach my pokemons to best utilize them. I've never battled "seriously" before until this gen.

DaBoss

Sure, that's totally fine. Are you sure that's all you need to move over though? I can take more than that if you need me too.

Just send me a trade request! (Merick)
I'm guessing you had some router issues? Oh well, a BIG thank you for getting half of my Pokemon, now we need to get them in X lol.

Also, your TSV is 3747 if you didn't know.

EDIT: Looks like you fixed it!
In my family we like to give each other gifts early, and I got a 2DS from my cousin (I sold my old 3DS for a Japanese 3DS and never told him I had a new one). Now I'm sitting here contemplating whether I should buy Pokemon X and try Masuda method. Someone stop my crazy idea!
Do it.
Do it.

ramyeon

After being busy all week and not being able to play at all, I've now been occupied with the Bravely Default demo for the past few days :( really need to get back into this. Gotta train up that Gligar I bred and start trying to get good at battling lol.

OceanBlue

I might be giving in too early so you're right. Just sooo many people arguing about how everything apparently revolves around math/stats/etc completely.

this is a good idea. I definitely should mass breed more pokes. so far I only have the ones mentioned before and a glaceon. I think Arcanine and Ninetales might be next on my makin' list.

ahhhh you are right! I've been ignoring my last two pokemon in hopes the first four were good enough. to be honest strategy is completely beyond me. I don't really know what to teach my pokemons to best utilize them. I've never battled "seriously" before until this gen.

Haha, I feel the same way you've been feeling so this is a pretty good pep talk for me too. So many common Pokemon resist Grass ;_;.

If you start with Ninetails first, I'll trade a Drought Vulpix for a 4IV Growlithe :D. I should start rebreeding my Growlithe for Morning Sun if I'm going to try out sun teams though.

Do it! We could then use you to help ourselves! =P

I'm guessing you had some router issues? Oh well, a BIG thank you for getting half of my Pokemon, now we need to get them in X lol.

Also, your TSV is 3747 if you didn't know.
Yeah, it totally crapped out on me. I'm really sorry about that. And thanks for checking my number. I need to find that list, so I can add myself in case anyone wants to use me to hatch their egg.

I'm totally stealing this shiny Ditto.

Reubeucent

Neo Member
I'm really considering buying Y, but I still think they'll make a third version of this one with a lot more post game stuff. Hard to believe coming from B/W2 that this ones PG is so lacking.

I'm really considering buying Y, but I still think they'll make a third version of this one with a lot more post game stuff. Hard to believe coming from B/W2 that this ones PG is so lacking.
They will make another version, and it'll be better as well. But these games are so much fun, I couldn't wait that long. I'll gladly play Y now and get the third version(s) as well when they come out.

Haha, I feel the same way you've been feeling so this is a pretty good pep talk for me too. So many common Pokemon resist Grass ;_;.

If you start with Ninetails first, I'll trade a Drought Vulpix for a 4IV Growlithe :D. I should start rebreeding my Growlithe for Morning Sun if I'm going to try out sun teams though.

I've got a drought ninetales via the magic of wonder trade. I usually try to pass off the IV breeding onto my poor boyfriend but if you're still lookin when I've convinced him to be my pokemon slave I'll hit chu up. I've been contemplating a team revolving around drought. just so many super cute fire pokes who do them good works!

Ah. Don't worry - even if you were using a 100% cookie cutter team you'd probably still be having a negative W/L ratio. :) Competitive Pokemon has a learning curve.

Try something like Rotom-W, Vaporeon, or Swampert. Something bulky that can still do damage and doesn't require advanced EVing skills. Since you mentioned Arcanine, I recommend that, too. Give it Intimidate and it can help against physical attackers.

Top Bottom