• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

I think I'm gonna make a second weather team. Probably sun. Hail got hit the hardest with the weather nerf, and sand is too boring.

And is that tournament JPN only?

MicH

Just caught a 31/x/x/31/x/0 Ditto. Pretty cool! Makes me wanna breed a Trick Room team (and I already have that 0 speed Clauncer that WonderPup gave) - maybe a Slowbro or a Reuniclus or something

HOLY SHIT.
It literally just took like 15 ultra balls to catch a 1HP Ivysaur. It broke out of 3 fucking critical captures!!
What the hell!

And... now it's at full health in my bag? What the ever loving fuck is going on haha. I literally triple checked it at being 1HP.

Holmes

Just caught a 31/x/x/31/x/0 Ditto. Pretty cool! Makes me wanna breed a Trick Room team (and I already have that 0 speed Clauncer that WonderPup gave) - maybe a Slowbro or a Reuniclus or something
Nice! I got a 0 speed IV Solosis from someone here, but I don't know if I want to run Trick Room or Calm Mind.

MicH

Just traded over my German shiny Furfrou. Superior potential, perfect HP and "takes plenty of siestas"

Lonely with Fur Cout. Pretty damn cool. I named him Lucky :p

Quest1

Almost to the third badge in my Y playthrough, which means I can use Mega Evolutions online again. I transferred over my battle team to my digital Y and can't even Mega evolve in online battles. But when I can, I'd like to battle everyone in here.

Also, for all the MegaKanga love, can it run anything to stop MBlaziken from kicking it in the face?

Also, for Professor Beef, who are you running with on your Sun team? I'm trying to put all the pieces together for one too. So far, Drought 9Tales, Solar Power Charizard (Y), Excadrill (for rapid spinning), Talonflame, Chloryphyll Venusaur, and one more open spot. Is there anything else I might be missing? Maybe focus sash Blaziken for some physical damage, but I have nothing to tank hits. Any tips?

I've just discovered Cute Charm, it's pretty awesome. Now if only it worked on eggs...

It does work, but only if there's a male canine Pokemon in your party. Joking aside, I want breeding for a female with a skewed ratio to be easier in the next game. Cute Charm is such a great ability for catching those female Pokemon but breeding for gender should be less random.

You should use one.

you shouldn't become satan to defeat satan.

also with online battles, what lineups do you guys have the most success with? I tried to stick with the "use pokemon you like" route but as expected that was roll after roll. mostly due to protean greninja and gale wings talonflame. even my speedy starmie could not outrun brave bird with speed priority.

Also, for Professor Beef, who are you running with on your Sun team? I'm trying to put all the pieces together for one too. So far, Drought 9Tales, Solar Power Charizard (Y), Excadrill (for rapid spinning), Talonflame, Chloryphyll Venusaur, and one more open spot. Is there anything else I might be missing? Maybe focus sash Blaziken for some physical damage, but I have nothing to tank hits. Any tips?

I was thinking about Mega Charizard (whichever one is the Drought one), Venusaur, Sawsbuck, Volcarona, Arcanine, and Mamoswine. I was also gonna try and find room for a bulkier Starmie, since it's not like it's gonna be sweeping in the sun.

Seishin

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this - but it seems like it.

I'm planning to restart my game for various reasons and was wondering what effect this would have on the Game Sync feature. Would that reset as well, or will that specific ID get lost in limbo forever or something?

Cheers.

Quest1

I was thinking about Mega Charizard (whichever one is the Drought one), Venusaur, Sawsbuck, Volcarona, Arcanine, and Mamoswine. I was also gonna try and find room for a bulkier Starmie, since it's not like it's gonna be sweeping in the sun.

I'm embarrassed I forgot my boy Arcanine. Bulky enough with intimidate to come in on a hit, can revenge kill with ESpeed, and eats waters/rocks with Wild Charge/Close Combat.

Sun seems so varied this time around. Sawsbuck, Volcarona, Exeggutor, Trevenant, and Heatran all love the sun and are completely viable.

also with online battles, what lineups do you guys have the most success with? I tried to stick with the "use pokemon you like" route but as expected that was roll after roll. mostly due to protean greninja and gale wings talonflame. even my speedy starmie could not outrun brave bird with speed priority.
For Talonflame and Greninja just get a bulky mon that can take the hit with ease and OHKO in return.

This gen you really want a tank because a lot of fast shit was introduced this gen. It doesn't help that MKangaskhan and MMawile are both popular and are great users of Sucker Punch. I'm sad to say that your Starmie can no longer be expected to outspeed most things it faces. :/

DaBoss

I'm planning to restart my game for various reasons and was wondering what effect this would have on the Game Sync feature. Would that reset as well, or will that specific ID get lost in limbo forever or something?

Cheers.
You would get a new Game Sync ID, so that means the existing game ID is now useless and you would lose everything associated with it (PokeMiles, photos, and I think some other stuff on PGL).

So yea, it will pretty much go in limbo forever.

Seishin

You would get a new Game Sync ID, so that means the existing game ID is now useless and you would lose everything associated with it (PokeMiles, photos, and I think some other stuff on PGL).

Despair. I should probably get some use out of those pokemiles before I do that then. Thanks for the concise answer.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's freaking me out how much mega aerodactyl looks like serj tankian.

navka_serj-tankian.jpg

Can you only link one card of the same game to the GTS? I was under the impression that you couldn't register two copies of Black 2 for example.

*applauds* Welcome to the club. Mine has me as the OT so it's better HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

What perfect shiny do you have?

Shiny Hawlucha looks really stunning! Congrats, Scrafty!

Thanks! I've always loved lucha libre, so this Pokémon was made for me.

Surf + Ice Beam.

Hawlucha should be using Focus Sash.

Sweet. I guess Ice is a better offensive type than Psychic, especially on a Water-type.

Why Focus Sash, though? Hawlucha's burly enough to survive a hit without it.

I refuse to use Pokemon I don't like - Azumarill, Ferrothorn, most legendaries. Sometimes I'll use a Pokemon I like even if using it is sort of a handicap. I use who I like and I still win more than I lose. I'd say I win 2/3 of the fights I enter. If I use a Pokemon like Volcarona or Mega Kangaskhan it's because I like them, not because they give me a lot of easy victories.

This is why I play unranked randoms so often. You see a lot of experimental teams - it's not like ranked where everything is super formulaic and you know exactly who your opponent is going to use before the battle begins.

Soodanim

This Protean Greninja I've seen mentioned 100 times per page, is it so good because every move gets STAB, or because of the switching resistances?

Try and obtain all the berries, I'm missing one mutation and some of the in-battle ones (some battles have then in scenery and using some moves will knock them off).

Complete the Kalos 'Dex (Articuno and Zapdos will be a pain as you have to trade for those). If you want the more complete Pokedex currently, make sure to visit the cafes that require you to pay in the various towns (people there sometimes show you things like Porygon and Entei, the clerk will also warn you before spending time if there nothing for you to see). The reward for doing so is
Oval Charm, makes eggs more likely

As for friend safari. You add friend codes on the 3DS home screen (the orange icon), try the GAF thread (hopefully there is link in OP) but if want something less personal and quicker reddit and gamefaqs are better (the latter tends to have some threads along the lines of "adding people for safari", reply with your code and add the OP and anyone who says "adding everyone").

Friend Safari Pokemon also help with IV breeding.

Cheers for the advice. I think I'll leave some of the Dex stuff until Bank to save trying organise temporary trades with people. But I completely forgot about the battle drops, so I'll need to get a razor leafer and a rock slider and get to work.

I think I'll try and catch some hidden ability pokes too, although that requires some research, and I guess luck if it's not something I can check for (I read of using Poison Gas on one particular horde).

fek

Finally got a 31/x/30/31/28/30 Petilil. Ended up going for 28 spdef because I couldn't find a ditto with 30. As a result I got a bunch of 4-5IV Petilil to get rid, and some others that actually have 30 or 28 in the stats I wanted. If anyone want a Petilil just send me a PM, they are Modest with Chlorophyll and in luxury balls for those who care about that.

For Talonflame and Greninja just get a bulky mon that can take the hit with ease and OHKO in return.

This gen you really want a tank because a lot of fast shit was introduced this gen. It doesn't help that MKangaskhan and MMawile are both popular and are great users of Sucker Punch. I'm sad to say that your Starmie can no longer be expected to outspeed most things it faces. :/

yeah it was painfully surprising to see my timid starmie being outrun and knocked out super fast. most of my pokemon are meant to be relatively speedy but probably not speedy enough. I might be better off trying to form a trick room team.

I refuse to use Pokemon I don't like - Azumarill, Ferrothorn, most legendaries. Sometimes I'll use a Pokemon I like even if using it is sort of a handicap. I use who I like and I still win more than I lose. I'd say I win 2/3 of the fights I enter. If I use a Pokemon like Volcarona or Mega Kangaskhan it's because I like them, not because they give me a lot of easy victories.

This is why I play unranked randoms so often. You see a lot of experimental teams - it's not like ranked where everything is super formulaic and you know exactly who your opponent is going to use before the battle begins.

yeah ranked seems to essentially be the same pokemon almost every single game. and when I tried to do unranked, first match was entirely legendaries with a charizard and I don't know why someone would do that. other than they're probably like twelve. I want to be able to win with the pokemon I like rather than what is going to roll the other team but most people just tell me that's not feasible.

I was running with starmie, mawile, gourgeist, and garchomp but I'm going to replace starmie and gourgeist with volcarona and hydreigon for the time being.

DaBoss

The solution to all of your problems with Singles....stop playing Singles and start playing Doubles! :p
Does this mean that you won't be able to register your account again, once you restart your game?
You would have to delete the existing Game Card/ID (or whatever it is called on the PGL site) for whatever game you restarted in and then use the new Game Sync ID for the PGL site.

So I started Y, synced it with my PGL. But then I restarted it. I put up a deletion request (you do this in account settings) and it will be removed from my account during the maintenance period (which is on Mondays 3PM to 8PM EST). After that is done, I'll sync my new save of Y to my PGL account.

The solution to all of your problems with Singles....stop playing Singles and start playing Doubles! :p

You would have to delete the existing Game Card/ID (or whatever it is called on the PGL site) for whatever game you restarted in and then use the new Game Sync ID for the PGL site.

So I started Y, synced it with my PGL. But then I restarted it. I put up a deletion request (you do this in account settings) and it will be removed from my account during the maintenance period (which is on Mondays 3PM to 8PM EST). After that is done, I'll sync my new save of Y to my PGL account.
Ah, okay. I wasn't aware you could have your game card deleted. That's actually very helpful, thanks DaBoss! Now I can restart for special challenges whenever I want! (After PokéBank of course)

Firestorm

Cheers.
Transfer your Mega Stones before restarting! Seriously if you have X would really appreciate some of those :(

Astral

So I'm trying to decide whether to have a Raichu or a Manectric in my party. I'm leaning a bit towards Manectric because he has Lightningrod and the only way Raichu can have it is by catching him in the stupid Friend Safari. He also has a mega evolution. But I also want Raichu because he's Raichu. Decisions, decisions.

Busaiku

This gen was good for me in that Goodra and Mega Mawile are both Pokemon that I like that have great versatility.
I mean, I love Whimsicott, Pikachu, Flareon, and Cinccino, and will always have them on my team when I'm not breeding for Shinies, but they're not exactly the most balanced (in the negative sense).

PK Gaming

That's it, I give up

Breeding for a 5IV Rotom is too difficult w/o a 4IV Ditto (lol).

If anyone has a spare 5IV Rotom for trade i'll be happy to make you a great offer. (Modest or Bold pls)

Top Bottom