• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

Neiteio

Dear Random Japanese Player:

I had you on the ropes. You were down to 1HP as a doppleganger Prankster Sableye. You were going to Recover next turn, but it wouldn't save you from Protean Greninja's STAB Dark Pulse. You were going to lose. But then my fucking router failed.

:mad:

:-\

:(

DaBoss

Caught a shiny Kecleon.

dJcnRSK.jpg

Korosenai

I think we should post some Togekiss builds... I need some inspiration.

I'm thinking of going either Modest or Timid and using Nasty Plot / Fire Blast / Dazzling Gleam / Air Slash.... but what should I invest the ev's in?

Busaiku

Malamar is weak to Fairy and you resist Superpower and Night Slash so I think that'd end in Clefable's favor unless it's running RestTalk.

Bulky Pokemon and walls would probably be a problem for this Clefable so Toxic Spikes would probably work well. I hadn't actually thought of a Stored Power set before so I'll have to experiment with it...once I finally get around to creating a team.

Malamar goes down from a single Moonblast.
I'm running Monblast/Cosmic Power/Shadow Ball/Moonlight.
Since Stored Power wouldn't affect it, I'd only have Shadow Ball left which would take a couple to get through.
It's not gonna do much damage, but it'd be enough to cost me a couple Moonlights, which is bad.
Shadow Ball is essential for me since I hate Aegistlash otherwise.

Yeah, walls in general are terrible, but whatever.

Malamar goes down from a single Moonblast.
I'm running Monblast/Cosmic Power/Shadow Ball/Moonlight.
Since Stored Power wouldn't affect it, I'd only have Shadow Ball left which would take a couple to get through.
It's not gonna do much damage, but it'd be enough to cost me a couple Moonlights, which is bad.
Shadow Ball is essential for me since I hate Aegistlash otherwise.

Yeah, walls in general are terrible, but whatever.

yeah Malamar just instantly dies to fairies
speaking of fairies holy shit at Mega Mawile's attack

Ultimadrago

I think we should post some Togekiss builds... I need some inspiration.

I'm thinking of going either Modest or Timid and using Nasty Plot / Fire Blast / Dazzling Gleam / Air Slash.... but what should I invest the ev's in?

I have Nasty Plot/Air Slash/Roost/Flamethrower. I go Flamethrower over Flame Blast for more longevity, due to Serene Grace I prioritize a higher chance of inflicting Burn in prolonged battles. I do regret not having a Fairy Stab at times though, so Dazzling Gleam may be a good bet.

Building one as we speak to fight against my friends other monotypes.

using which ones
I'm thinking Togekiss/Klefki/Azumarill/(Mega) Mawile/Sylveon would be 5 of them

hey wait a minute, Togekiss is a flying fairy
that game's a Pokemon spinoff featuring Togekiss as the main character confirmed

Sigmaah

GOOEY GOOEY GOOMDROPS

Yes, that's right folks, I am currently stockpiling Goomy eggs (Literally JUST got a 6 IV goomy to breed with a 5 IV Goomy). They are Gooey, but if you want other abilities, that's feasible too, but that isn't even the greatest part!

The greatest part is that they have the following egg moves:
Acid Armor
Curse
Counter

They are all modest (+SpA -Att) and I'm currently in the process of amassing eggs to give to fellow GAFers.

As for return trades, I'm open to pretty much anything, (wouldn't be a giveaway if I made demands) but I'm also hopeful that I could potentially get someone to help me acquire a shiny Goomy from one of these eggs through Instacheck methods.

I may need help compiling a list of those that want in, so if someone could assist me with that, I would be more than happy to get a Goomy to everyone that wants one.

I WOULD LOVE ONE. If I can get a 5iv one that'd save me so much trouble of breeding one, I can offer only a spare 5iv gible because that's the only spare 5iv I have to trade lol. I have a bunch of 4iv Pokemon like Beldum, abra, aron, rotom, Larvesta and some others (don't have my ds on me right now) so if you can't trade a 5iv one for a 5iv gible, a 4iv will do!

I'd help with the instacheck but I'm just now hearing about it, I'll do my research on that shit soon.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
using which ones

that game's a Pokemon spinoff featuring Togekiss as the main character confirmed

Carbink/Florges and Gardevior

Atlantis

using which ones

-Togekiss, Azumarill, and Mawile are obvious.
-Klefki or Carbink for hazards
-Sylveon or Florges
-Pick one of the better remaining fairies. Gardevoir, Clefable, Slurpuff, ect.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'd put gardevoir over Sylveon. Sylveon has slightly better special bulk and is a better wish passer, but gardevoir has some pretty great support options like Will-o-wisp Landis far better offensively.

Alright, it was nowhere near as difficult as I expected, but I whipped up a type chart detailing the changes I'd make for a what-if Gen VII metagame. It's based on Bulbapedia's design, but I took a more minimalist / non-site-integrated approach. And, despite the fact that it's all squares, it's surprisingly small while still understandable.

Let me know if I've made any mistakes.

ibe1QPbY8OdW4H.png

Key
A white indent indicates neutral damage. Multiplier: 1.0x
A red indent indicates resisted or not very effective damage. Multiplier: 0.5x
A green indent indicates super-effective damage. Multiplier: 2.0x
A black indent indicates an immunity. Multiplier: 0x

Squares in the grid with a pale teal background rather than a grey one indicate changes to the pre-existing type chart.

A full list of changes are as follows:

New Types
- Rock and Ground removed to form a singular Earth type.
- Earth offense: 0x Flying, 0.5x Bug / Grass / Ice, 2x Poison / Fire / Electric / Sound
- Earth defense: 0x Electric, 0.5x Normal / Flying / Poison / Fire, 2x Water / Grass / Ice

- Sound type, rooted in sonic attacks and musical capability, introduced.
- Sound offense: 0.5x Bug / Grass / Dark / Sound / Ice, 2x Steel / Water / Electric
- Sound defense: 0.5x Steel / Electric / Sound, 2x Earth / Grass / Ice
- Sound moves also bypass Substitutes in a similar fashion to Infiltrator, as an added unique dynamic.

Existing Types
- Bug now resists Poison. Poison already resists Bug.
- Ice given resistance to Dragon and Water.

Notes
For simplicity's sake, an instance where two different types resist one another defensively can be referred to as a reciprocated resistance. Bug / Poison and Ice / Water have been granted reciprocated resistances.

The key objectives of this theoretical update would be to grant Ice a major defensive buff, give Bug a minor defensive buff, and give Water and Electric minor nerfs.

To add some depth to the type changes, it's important to note that Earth takes more cues from Ground than Rock; as a result, Flying is given one less weakness, making Ice and Electric all the more important; and with Electric retaining a Ground Earth weakness and a new Sound weakness, Ice can be moved to a relative forefront, offensively speaking.

The resistances to Dragon, Sound, Water, Earth, and losing the Rock weakness also mean that Ice has the potential to become a substantial new defensive typing, meaning the plethora of defensive ice-types available (such as Lapras, Regice and Avalugg) may see more widespread usage.

Bug, likewise, loses a Rock weakness and gains a resistance to Poison and Sound.

Electric is weakened to an extent thanks to a new Sound weakness and the Earth consolidation means that certain Rock types from the past may now possess an Electricity immunity; this can be somewhat circumvented per Pokemon, though. For example, Electrode can have Soundproof, meaning it would only have its original weakness of Earth.

Water is given an offensive nerf in a roundabout fashion: the lack of the (now admittedly uncommon) Rock / Ground typing means that several Pokemon will lose their 4x weakness to Water. Water also can't hit Ice-types for neutral damage, and Pokemon with reciprocated resist typings (Bug / Poison and Water / Ice, for example Scolipede and Lapras, respectively) gain new, unique resistances to both their own types.

Grass is a much more mixed bag; while it also loses an edge over Rock / Ground types, it's been given an additional resistance and strength against the Sound type, in reference to the old study that plants grow more quickly when exposed to music.

Steel is also a mixed bag; it retains its plethora of resistances, but loses its Rock resistance and its Ground weakness, gaining a Sound weakness in its place. Steel will likely remain in a powerful position, both offensively and defensively, as the rising prevalence of Fairy and Ice-types give it a powerful opportunity as a counter. Amusingly, even with all the new type consolidations, Bug's resistance to Sound means that Scizor still only has a lone weakness.

Retypings
I won't go into absolute specifics on this, but the Earth consolidation is pretty straightforward; Rock / Ground types become pure Earth, while Pokemon with only one Rock or Ground typing would still become Earth, with variations depending on their secondary typings (for example Steelix becoming Steel / Earth).

Sound, on the other hand, has all sorts of potential. The Electrode line could become Electric / Sound, the Altaria line could become Dragon / Sound as could the Noivern line, though Noivern could easily become a Sound / Flying line as well. The Wigglytuff line would probably become Sound / Fairy. The Exploud line would likely become pure Sound. Chatot could become Sound / Flying. Meloetta's singing could grant it a position as the technical first Sound legendary. The Pyroar line could possibly become Fire / Sound due to the whole roaring thing, but that's debatable. Two near-guaranteed lines would be the Kricketune line, which would become Bug / Sound, and the Chimecho line, which would become Psychic / Sound.

Mega Gallade, when introduced, could probably be Fighting / Sound. Game Freak did make HarmoKnight, after all.

ibePv4qjnBwGtc.png

New Pokemon
Sonic attacks and weaponized music offer a ton of potential options, for example more "instruments of war" like Kricketune. One I can think of off the top of my head would be a big, tanky Steel / Sound pipe organ turtle monster along the lines of Gigalith.

New Attacks
Sound also has a lot of potential for new moves, for example a move exclusive to the Scrafty line called Beatbox, which functions as a halfway-inverse Dragon Dance; it increases the user's Speed, and lowers the foe's Attack. We also already have a minor list of Sound-based attacks, such as Roar and Boomburst.

DaBoss

Also just wondering, but do you have an extra Ekans and Jigglypuff?
I have an Ekans in X. Not sure about Jigglypuff.

I'll check after this trade. Also, can you help me get Kecleon into X?

I can't wait till Pokemon Bank releases lol.

EDIT: OMG...GF pls

If you accept an invite and then press A and if you're in front of the PC, it opens the PC which cancels the invite. :/

I just finished reading up on everything you just wrote Sub, and I think it looks pretty amazing. I'm not quite sure about that combination of Rock and Ground though. Maybe it's just because I've been a Pokémon fan for forever, and have subconsciously seperated them in my mind. (The same way Flying > Grass makes sense to me)

Sound type is surprisingly well implemented. I personally would have preferred a Cosmic or Space kind of type, but Fairy kind of ruined that... >_> I especially like the buffs Ice gets defensively! There are so many awesome looking Ice type Pokémon that get crushed competitively due to having so many weaknesses.

Great job!

I have an Ekans in X. Not sure about Jigglypuff.

I'll check after this trade. Also, can you help me get Kecleon into X?

I can't wait till Pokemon Bank releases lol.

EDIT: OMG...GF pls

If you accept an invite and then press A and if you're in front of the PC, it opens the PC which cancels the invite. :/
lol

Also, thank you :D This will come in handy

edit: AFK

DaBoss

I would think that loud noises would break ice (in the same sense that sound can break glass).
lol

Also, thank you :D This will come in handy
No problem.

The Sableye was meant for you though. :p

SkullHydra helped me out earlier with getting lots of Dittos into X and gave me some of his rejects, but that one had great IVs and would have been wasted just rotting in the box lol.

I would think that loud noises would break ice (in the same sense that sound can break glass).

No problem.

The Sableye was meant for you though. :p

SkullHydra helped me out earlier with getting lots of Dittos into X and gave me some of his rejects, but that one had great IVs and would have been wasted just rotting in the box lol.
Ooh, Sableye?

Can you hop on again then? lol

I just stepped away for a bit

And in the faraway chance that you have a Scizor, I just want the dex data for it (if you have one) - it would save me tons of time :)

Fury Sense

That's pretty cool. I agree Sound is the a good option for a new type.

But you've made Ice extremely strong. I think it's probably OP

Busaiku

2C4W-WWWW-WWW3-XFNM

THE BEST COMEBACK EVER
CLEFABLE IS SERIOUS BUSINESS

Even after so many Flinched attacks, Confused attacks, and Light Screen, Clefable still beat their entire team of Kelfki, Mega Kangaskhan, Abomasnow, and Hitmontop.
Thank goodness Sheer Cold couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

DaBoss

Ooh, Sableye?

Can you hop on again then? lol

I just stepped away for a bit

And in the faraway chance that you have a Scizor, I just want the dex data for it (if you have one) - it would save me tons of time :)
K, I don't have a Scizor, but I can trade a Scyther with a metal coat since I have 2 of those.

I'm not sure what ability Sableye had, I forgot to check. Hopefully it is Prankster.
I have extra I can give you if DaBoss wants to keep his.
I still have the one you sent me before in X. I was talking about Y earlier where the Sableye would just stay there forever until traded.

Neiteio

2C4W-WWWW-WWW3-XFNM

THE BEST COMEBACK EVER
Just had a sweet comeback of my own, thanks to Carbink's Reflect and Sableye's Will-O-Wisp:

8P8W-WWWW-WWW3-XFQB

But the best comeback of all was last night -- Sableye vs. Sableye, but I switched to Kangaskhan, barely survived Foul Play, and I predicted correctly and tricked him on two switches (used Return when he switched from Sableye to Xatu, and Earthquake when he switched from Xatu to Sableye -- both of his tempts to block me with an immune Pokémon failed):

FN2W-WWWW-WWW3-WCYQ

K, I don't have a Scizor, but I can trade a Scyther with a metal coat since I have 2 of those.

I'm not sure what ability Sableye had, I forgot to check. Hopefully it is Prankster.

I still have the one you sent me before in X. I was talking about Y earlier where the Sableye would just stay there forever until traded.
Thanks a ton :D

It's difficult trying to complete this dex :)

What's the best item for Sableye? I've been using a Focus Sash, but am wondering if I should be using something different instead. Is there a very that decreases Super-Effective Fairy damage, and would it be worth it? Maybe a Rocky Helmet instead?

Neiteio

2C4W-WWWW-WWW3-XFNM

THE BEST COMEBACK EVER

Even after so many Flinched attacks, Confused attacks, and Light Screen, Clefable still beat their entire team of Kelfki, Mega Kangaskhan, Abomasnow, and Hitmontop.
Thank goodness Sheer Cold couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.
Just watched this, and aw yiss, your Carbink tanked those boosted hits from Mega Kangaskhan like a champ, and then set up Reflect for your team. :)

And speaking of Sheer Cold attempts, I faced a Gastrodon yesterday who kept using Fissure against my Sableye. When it finally did hit, he found out I had Focus Sash, lol.

Tenck

I only checked 210 eggs for today guys. Just got off a 12 hour shift and going through each egg one by one was madness.

That's more in favor of gameplay than actual physics. I wouldn't be surprise if there was a Freeze Dry-esque screaming move that was super-effective against Ice. Sound being a bad idea against ice does have some basis in reality, though:

avalanches.

That's pretty cool. I agree Sound is the a good option for a new type.

But you've made Ice extremely strong. I think it's probably OP

It's only as powerful as the Pokemon it posesses, though - BW OU has a mere 3 ice-types, none of them pure: Cloyster, Kyurem-B (who would probably be in Ubers if not for the Ice typing) and Mamoswine (who's significantly buffed by the combination Ground typing). There could easily be checks in place to make sure Ice didn't become rampant, and even then it still possesses glaring weaknesses to Fire, Fighting, and Steel, all of which are some of the most common attacking moves in the entire game.

I have a feeling Ice would probably be somewhere between Grass and Steel in terms of power and effectiveness if the update went into place.

Top Bottom