• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

1 point difference means you'll always outspeed.

One teeny point is all you need to outspeed; not sure what you were expecting.

yeah looking back at what I wrote I really don't know what I was expecting ah ha ahhh. I think it was more of I was surprised a cute bat pokemon was quicker than that ninja frog. I blame my lack of sleep!

on another note, Ninetales' look of fury when you touch her tails is so endearing.

Forkball

Fuck mega charizard Y and his insta solar beam. :(

I saw a Shiny Megazard Y the other day in a battle. Not gonna lie, it looked badass and did the same Solar Beam trick. I beat it, but lost the war.

I see a lot of Mega Mawiles but I've never really been beaten by one. Why is it so popular? Typing?

My Mega Heracross has 260 Attack at lv.50. I said goddamn.

Now to see if this thing actually works online. Hopefully it doesn't end up a bitter disappointment like Mega Medicham.

Forkball

Now to see if this thing actually works online. Hopefully it doesn't end up a bitter disappointment like Mega Medicham.

I have a regular Choice Scarf Heracross and I'm a little disappointed in him. He has max IVs in Attack but still doesn't wallop through everything. One time I was stuck on Megahorn, some guy sends out a Venomoth and uses Disable. I struggled myself to death.

CrimsonN0

MegaHeracross is really strong, but things that are super effective and faster than it are terrible.
I did once throw down a Sticky Web with Galvantula that allowed MegaHeracross to just tear through the rest of the guy's team, though.
Unfortunately, Sticky Web doesn't effect flying/levitating pokemon.

Talonflame ruins these guys :(

Everything weak to flying is ruined with that thing running around. :(

I have a regular Choice Scarf Heracross and I'm a little disappointed in him. He has max IVs in Attack but still doesn't wallop through everything. One time I was stuck on Megahorn, some guy sends out a Venomoth and uses Disable. I struggled myself to death.

MegaHeracross is really strong, but things that are super effective and faster than it are terrible.
I did once throw down a Sticky Web with Galvantula that allowed MegaHeracross to just tear through the rest of the guy's team, though.
Unfortunately, Sticky Web doesn't effect flying/levitating pokemon.

I maxed out HP on mine and it just survived a Play Rough from an Azumarill. I have never seen anything take a super effective Play Rough. o_O

I don't know whether it was banded or had a bad nature or what. But I was impressed.

Wonder Trade has been really good to me. In the past few days I have obtained:

Japanese protean Froakie with four perfect IVs

Japanese Gastly with four perfect IVs

Japanese super-size Gourgeist with three perfect IVs.

I am particularly excited for the Gourgeist, since it's probably my favorite shiny from the X and Y 'Mons. I'll have to breed a good shiny trick room lead. The other two I'll breed for shiniest later.

Forkball

Screw Scizor.

Screw flinches.

Screw ghost moves.

I feel like I should build a whole new team. I hate how Sylveon is outspeed BY LITERALLY EVERYTHING.

Forkball

Trick room!

Not that it's going to help you against scizor.

Thinking about making a Chandelure or Salamence with Fire Blast. I have no fire moves on my poorly thought out team.

One thing that is legit on my team though is Mega Venusaur with this build:

Sleep Powder
Sludge Bomb
Giga Drain
Leech Seed

I have swept teams with Venasaur in the red with this build. You make them go to sleep, and then you just mooch off of them with leech seed and giga drain. You gain so much health that by the time they wake up, it's like they did nothing too you. Sludge bomb is also a bit unexpected and good against fairies. I've beaten a lot of pesky Steel types with this set and even beat Pokemon I had no business defeating like Chandelure and Charizard. Note: you will get demolished by Talonflames.

Tenck

Thinking about making a Chandelure or Salamence with Fire Blast. I have no fire moves on my poorly thought out team.

One thing that is legit on my team though is Mega Venusaur with this build:

Sleep Powder
Sludge Bomb
Giga Drain
Leech Seed

I have swept teams with Venasaur in the red with this build. You make them go to sleep, and then you just mooch off of them with leech seed and giga drain. You gain so much health that by the time they wake up, it's like they did nothing too you. Sludge bomb is also a bit unexpected and good against fairies. I've beaten a lot of pesky Steel types with this set and even beat Pokemon I had no business defeating like Chandelure and Charizard. Note: you will get demolished by Talonflames.

Hmm I'll have to look into this build. I need a grass pokemon on my team.

I forgot Quagsire had Unaware. There should be some sort of indicator for that so I don't sit there Shell Smashing like a dumbass next time. :lol

Screw Scizor.

Screw flinches.

Screw ghost moves.

I feel like I should build a whole new team. I hate how Sylveon is outspeed BY LITERALLY EVERYTHING.

Speed is everything in this game. You can have all the power or bulk in the world and you still won't be able to do anything without speed or priority. :(

I'm thinking of putting Protect, Baton Pass and a Focus Sash onto Scolipede so that Mega Hera gets a chance to shine.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Honestly you can work with slow speed, you just have to be smart about it. You can wreck pretty hard with slowbrow and ferrothorn.

THough for slowbro it's me catching people with trick room. Still without trick room it's still pretty damn good.

Is Unaware or Thick fat better for Mamoswine? (assuming it has the same skills as Piloswine)

Talonflame ruins these guys :(
Speaking of which given 4x weakness to rock what special attack base with 0 investment would a HP Rock OHKO it? Then again gale wings *shudder*. I'm curious if a Talonflame has enough SpA to run an odd support set (then again the Talonflame mirror match is probably won more easily by having rocky helmet and so outlasting your opponent from them taking more damage when they attack).

Just saw this on facebook.

1476390_10202443983045139_1482953677_n.jpg
Leafeon tried its best...

Does anyone have a list of Pokemon who use 0 IV in speed. I'm thinking about making a Trick Room team.
I was curious if the general rule of thumb was anything below say x base speed (I'd guess x is 60?). Of course there are exceptions (e.g. Agieslash; it still wants 0 speed but not trick room)

ZenaxPure

I see a lot of Mega Mawiles but I've never really been beaten by one. Why is it so popular? Typing?

Honestly I don't think you can use Mega Mawile without some sort of support in singles (light screen/reflect) he's too squishy otherwise. What makes him so good though is that 105 base attack + huge power. If a dude is not bulky Mega Mawile can one shot it, even if a dude is bulky Mawile has a pretty good chance to one shot it if he has an attack that is super effective. That said I think he's better suited to doubles/triples myself. Huge power rock slide can wreck the entire team if the enemy isn't careful.

Starting to get into Vivillon collecting; what is everyone's favorite pattern?

Gotta be Ocean, it's like a sun at the horizon of water. I absolutely love it.

Antiwhippy

So what are you guys thought on disconnecting on people who take too long between turns?

They seriously should have a turn clock too.

ZenaxPure

So what are you guys thought on disconnecting on people who take too long between turns?

They really need to do what Blizzard does with pet battles on WoW or turns in Hearthstone. If people take too long the timer for picking actions gets progressively shorter for them as turns go on.

As for disconnecting myself, I don't do it in rated. Definitely done it outside of rated though. Fuck off slow people.

CrimsonN0

They seriously should have a turn clock too.

Eh, I don't really care.
I'm usually browsing the web while battling.

Then again I once fought a battle where we actually ran out of time and the other guy seemed to take forever every turn.

PK Gaming

I saw a Shiny Megazard Y the other day in a battle. Not gonna lie, it looked badass and did the same Solar Beam trick. I beat it, but lost the war.

It's a massive threat after it gets a swords dance. You'll be hard pressed to find a faster pokemon that take on a +2 sucker punch or a slowler one that can take on +2 play rough. Its typing + Intimidate makes it easy to set up as well.

Antiwhippy

Does anyone else think that charizard Y is way more broken than charizard X?

Drought assisted 159 sp. ATK OHKO pretty much everyone I have. :( Makes me think I should run a slowking instead of a slowbro.

CrimsonN0

Does anyone else think that charizard Y is way more broken than charizard X?

Drought assisted 159 sp. ATK OHKO pretty much everyone I have. :( Makes me think I should run a slowking instead of a slowbro.

Yeah, its pretty strong with Drought up.
Though, its pretty great when you change the weather on the same turn they try to Solar Beam.

Forkball

Gotta love Pokemon RNG. Fiery Dance has a 50% chance of raising a Pokemon's special attack. The enemy Volcarona used it four times in a row and it went up every time. MEANWHILE HYDRO PUMP MISSES TWICE IN A ROW

Wichu

I successfully Wonder Traded out my three perfect shiny Goomy. They all got to Japanese dudes (a shame; I was hoping at least one would go to an English speaker and at least one to a girl), but the spread went quite well; the first went to a guy who'd beaten the game and had nearly 200 hours on the clock (presumably a breeder/competitive battler), the second went to a run-of-the-mill average player, and the third went to someone who was still playing through the story.

Incidentally, the second guy challenged me to a battle, then forfeited after failing to get past my Chesnaught. His Lucario whittled it down to under half with physical attacks after unsuccessfully trying to Aura Sphere it; I disappointed him by restoring my health with Synthesis :p

Antiwhippy

I successfully Wonder Traded out my three perfect shiny Goomy. They all got to Japanese dudes (a shame; I was hoping at least one would go to an English speaker and at least one to a girl), but the spread went quite well; the first went to a guy who'd beaten the game and had nearly 200 hours on the clock (presumably a breeder/competitive battler), the second went to a run-of-the-mill average player, and the third went to someone who was still playing through the story.

Incidentally, the second guy challenged me to a battle, then forfeited after failing to get past my Chesnaught. His Lucario whittled it down to under half with physical attacks after unsuccessfully trying to Aura Sphere it; I disappointed him by restoring my health with Synthesis :p

So how are you going about building your chesnaught? I have a bulletproof quilladin and I was thinking that it might be fun to make him my next project.

I want to give chesnaught a chance. My favourite starter of this gen.

Wichu

So how are you going about building your chesnaught? I have a bulletproof quilladin and I was thinking that it might be fun to make him my next project.

I want to give chesnaught a chance. My favourite starter of this gen.

At the moment I'm running Spiky Shield / Synthesis / Seed Bomb / Power-Up Punch. I really want to try out some other moves though, like Shadow Claw and Bulk Up, but I don't know what to remove. Spiky Shield -> Shadow Claw could work for coverage; alternatively I could replace Spiky Shield with Bulk Up and Power-Up Punch with Hammer Arm.

Antiwhippy

At the moment I'm running Spiky Shield / Synthesis / Seed Bomb / Power-Up Punch. I really want to try out some other moves though, like Shadow Claw and Bulk Up, but I don't know what to remove. Spiky Shield -> Shadow Claw could work for coverage; alternatively I could replace Spiky Shield with Bulk Up and Power-Up Punch with Hammer Arm.

Alright, cool. I have to think of teammates though. He seems like someone you have to build your team around.

Forkball

I need a Fairy to replace Sylveon. The speed just isn't cutting it with that low defense. What's the super awesome Carbink or Klefki strategy people mention?

Antiwhippy

Carbink is just a setup pokemon with good defenses. Klefki is a prankster user and people have been using priority swagger and thunderwave, as well as substitute, to set up a paraconfuse chain.

If you want a some what speedy fairy though give gardevoir or togekiss a shot. Or mawile if you want to be like nearly everyone on battlespot and use it to spam sucker punch*. :p

* warning:spamming sucker punch will just lead me to priority destiny bonding your ass.

Klefki can also set up if you don't want to run the SwagKey set. I have a Dual screen variant and a SwagKey variant on the side for laughs.

Top Bottom