• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

Firestorm

Is there any way to test beforehand (i.e. same egg group gets Giga Drain, someone might have tried on Smogon)? I have a feeling the answer is no because GF feel that some TM moves and tutors were a mistake (Stealth Rock and Superpower on way too many things for instance). Some creatures do get egg moves that cover lost TM coverage though (e.g. Shroomish with Focus Punch...thing has no arms).

This opens up the problem of "its not fair, guy using Pokegen transferred over a Superpower Scizor with perfect IVs. I thought GF were anti-hacks" I have a feeling official tournaments will require Pokemon to be bred and raised in Kalos which just leaves randoms online.
Oh who am I kidding, the RS remake will include all the BW2 Move tutors and some more like parting shot for all pranksters.
Official ruleset was announced on Friday and does in fact require Pokemon to be obtained in Kalos. I think there's a high chance they'll continue to do this and control players' access to previous generation powerhouses like Thundurus, Cresselia, Landorus, Tornadus, and Heatran for competitive play without impacting those who want to complete the Pokedex or creating a blanket "No Legendaries" rule.

Holmes

Accidentally hatched a shiny Eevee with a Japanese one, wasn't even going for it. It has great IVs for Umbreon, but it's Timid. :/ Not so great. Dunno what to do with it.

NEO0MJ

Help me PokeGAF, Chlorophyll, Early Bird or Pickpocket for a Shiftry?

Chlorophyll if you'tr using a sun team, if not then Early Bird. You can use Pickpocket, but it's a really risky ability and I don't think Shiftry can make good use of it.

Accidentally hatched a shiny Eevee with a Japanese one, wasn't even going for it. It has great IVs for Umbreon, but it's Timid. :/ Not so great. Dunno what to do with it.

Give it to me!

So I never thought I would buy this game. My buddy talked me into it and I left the store yesterday with X in my hands. I haven't played Pokemon since the original game so this will be interesting. So far some early impressions.

Positive:
-Love the art style of the battles
-Music is great!
-Outside of battling everything is very vast, looks like I will be exploring a lot
-Battles are fun and finding pokemon is great to do again
-Love the xp sharing

Negative:
-Framerate with 3D on....yeesh it can get bad. Am I right assuming most of you play with 3D off?
-The movement of my character when walking around is very strange, not sure why they did it that way..

Liking it a lot, looking forward to really digging into it over Thanksgiving weekend.

Wonder traded reject Bunnelby/Diggersby w/Huge Power. Nice haul today got Adaptability Corpish, 5IV Haluncha (HACDS, male not unburden), Solar Power Charmeleon.

-Framerate with 3D on....yeesh it can get bad. Am I right assuming most of you play with 3D off?
Yes, but some areas are 3D outside of battle and battles inside simple environments (the bland grid pattern many indoor areas use) tend to get acceptable framerate.

Tiamant

Chlorophyll if you'tr using a sun team, if not then Early Bird. You can use Pickpocket, but it's a really risky ability and I don't think Shiftry can make good use of it.

Give it to me!

Yeah, I was thinking Early Bird too. My team is more rain oriented and Pickpocket seems more suited for speedy pokes like Weavile. Thank you both!

Do you mean with skates? When you get the bike the movement becomes snappier. The skates have a momentum.

What I mean is just trying to make your character run in a circle is odd they don't move very smoothly. I just got the skates and I am getting used to it so it's not a big deal at all. Just jarring coming from playing Zelda.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, problem with the walking is that while it is digital, the analog movement with the skates and bikes interfere with it sometimes causing it to snap to the grid.

BTW, speaking of weather, how are weather turns determined? I sent out my tyranitar against a ninetales, and her drought came out first and then got beaten by my sandstorm.

spiritfox

Yeah, problem with the walking is that while it is digital, the analog movement with the skates and bikes interfere with it sometimes causing it to snap to the grid.

BTW, speaking of weather, how are weather turns determined? I sent out my tyranitar against a ninetales, and her drought came out first and then got beaten by my sandstorm.

Speed of the Pokemon. It's the same for other abilities and hold items like Leftovers too.

WonderPup

Official ruleset was announced on Friday and does in fact require Pokemon to be obtained in Kalos. I think there's a high chance they'll continue to do this and control players' access to previous generation powerhouses like Thundurus, Cresselia, Landorus, Tornadus, and Heatran for competitive play without impacting those who want to complete the Pokedex or creating a blanket "No Legendaries" rule.

At first, I didn't mind the new rule set for VGCs. It's a lot like 2011, which I had fun at (despite how restricting it was). What I don't appreciate, however, is the implication that everything you've ever done in a previous generation is now worthless. The more I think about it, the more disappointing it is. This probably isn't the place to discuss it, and I can take my complaints over to NB, but it almost feels like there's no point in any of the previous games now.

I hope they remove the pentagon restriction for things in the future. It would be a shame to see 10+ years of pokemon just get tossed into the garbage.

upandaway

Okay, okay, okay, okay, okay. Okay, okay. Look at this silliness.

I start the morning with 5+4 IV parents, get the perfect after about one full box.
I breed another Pokemon with 5+4 IV parents, takes about one full box again.
About 10 AM, I start breeding for female Drought Vulpix, I get to 5+4 IV parents in like one hour, which is okay. I switched to a male with Drought about one box afterwards, so both parents have Drought.

Fast forward to 4 PM, 4 full boxes (4!) and I still don't have it. In the process I got:
- 2 perfect males with Flash Fire
- 1 perfect female with Flash Fire
- 1 perfect male with Drought

The chance for a male is 25%. The chance for a Flash Fire is 40%. So the chance for both to happen is 10%, and that's when only one parent has the Drought. But 3/4 were male and 3/4 had Flash Fire. I don't think I've ever had this kind of bad luck in gaming ever.

So..... yeah. If anyone has a female perfect Drought Vulpix/Nintails I can borrow, I'd be um, really grateful.

spiritfox

Okay, okay, okay, okay, okay. Okay, okay. Look at this silliness.

I start the morning with 5+4 IV parents, get the perfect after about one full box.
I breed another Pokemon with 5+4 IV parents, takes about one full box again.
About 10 AM, I start breeding for female Drought Vulpix, I get to 5+4 IV parents in like one hour, which is okay. I switched to a male with Drought about one box afterwards, so both parents have Drought.

Fast forward to 4 PM, 4 full boxes (4!) and I still don't have it. In the process I got:
- 2 perfect males with Flash Fire
- 1 perfect female with Flash Fire
- 1 perfect male with Drought

The chance for a male is 25%. The chance for a Flash Fire is 40%. So the chance for both to happen is 10%, and that's when only one parent has the Drought. But 3/4 were male and 3/4 had Flash Fire. I don't think I've ever had this kind of bad luck in gaming ever.

So..... yeah. If anyone has a female perfect Drought Vulpix/Nintails I can borrow, I'd be um, really grateful.

I have a 4iv one if you don't mind.

upandaway

Nah like I said, I'm using 5 IV male and 4 IV female to breed, so the only possible upgrade is a 5 IV female to borrow from someone. I've gotten perfects from two 4 IV parents so easily before, so it's just ridiculous!

spiritfox

Nah like I said, I'm using 5 IV male and 4 IV female to breed, so the only possible upgrade is a 5 IV female to borrow from someone. I've gotten perfects from two 4 IV parents so easily before, so it's just ridiculous!

Ah my bad. I do have a 5iv drought but I'm using her in my team right now. I have 5iv males and a female with Flash Fire though if you want.

Schmitty

Question 1: So how exactly do I get a hidden ability Jolteon? Does the Eevee have to have the hidden ability as well?

Question 2: Trying to breed a good IV Eevee right now and can't get any females. Anyone have a female Eevee w/ good IVs? I just got done breed a ton of Squirtles with at least 3 IVs and Vulpix w/ Drought along with 3 IV as well to trade.

I'm willing to breed other guys if I have them as well. Just shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Antiwhippy

After this match let's swear to never face gastrodon and vaporeon together ever again.

This is strangely fun in its own way. :p

edit: goddamnit, I thought you ran out of PP with rain dance.

Antiwhippy

If I go any longer I think I'll go insane, plus I ran out of PP anyway.

That was hilarious though. GGs man. Vaporeon won the stall wars. Goddamn hydration!

Sure, my FC is 4914-3588-6854, added you just now. Anything you got? It's Modest by the way.

My FC's in my profile, but I won't be available to trade for some time (at work right now). I can give you an Adamant Poison Heal Shroomish with Focus Punch or an Adamant Unburden Hawlucha with Baton Pass in return if you'd like! I have a lot more to choose from if you're not fond of those two as well.

Tiamant

If I go any longer I think I'll go insane, plus I ran out of PP anyway.

That was hilarious though. GGs man. Vaporeon won the stall wars. Goddamn hydration!

GG! :D

But you know? that was the last PP for Rain Dance, next move was gonna be Scald so if you had 1 earthquake or 2 scalds left you'd have won the stall war and the kicked Magnezone's butt :p

Antiwhippy

GG! :D

But you know? that was the last PP for Rain Dance, next move was gonna be Scald so if you had 1 earthquake or 2 scalds left you'd have won the stall war and the kicked Magnezone's butt :p

Nah, I still have to wait out the 5 turns of hydration. My will was too weak. I should have waited out till the bitter end though.

Next time we face each other I'll be sure to take out that vaporeon fast.

Question 1: So how exactly do I get a hidden ability Jolteon? Does the Eevee have to have the hidden ability as well?
Yes, your Eevee needs anticipation for its evolution to have the hidden ability. On the other hand Umbreon and Sylveon would prefer not to have the hidden ability.

upandaway

My FC's in my profile, but I won't be available to trade for some time (at work right now). I can give you an Adamant Poison Heal Shroomish with Focus Punch or an Adamant Unburden Hawlucha with Baton Pass in return if you'd like! I have a lot more to choose from if you're not fond of those two as well.
If you have the time to write out a list I'd love a look, but if not I'll take the Shroomish.

Lemme know in PM when you can trade

Top Bottom