• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
edit: was confused for awhile there.

MegaHeracross kinda needs Galvantula to Sticky Web first.
Hes always just a little slower than the things that can kill him.

Yeah, I need some way to get rid of that.

CrimsonN0

GGs Crimson! Lucky for me, my team was well equipped to deal with bug types.

Yeah, thinking back Scizor could have avoided Destiny Bond in the first game with its Fighting move,
I had Heracross use Rock Blast hoping its lower accuracy would make me repeatedly miss and stall it out in the second game.
Though, I think Chandelure was your last pokemon both games and would end up killing me unless its Fire Blast repeatedly missed.

onslack

I'm kinda new around here, I do more lurking than posting but I thought I'd pop a message in here to say hi as I'd like to add a few of you.

Its taken me 4 days to read this thread from start to finish, so i hope there isn't aother 200+ page thread hidden away...

I've never tried any form of competitive battling but seeing all you guys making teams and battling has made me want to join in, well try to anyways lol

For anyone that's interested in adding me my FC is - 1993-7010-8341

Fury Sense

I'm kinda new around here, I do more lurking than posting but I thought I'd pop a message in here to say hi as I'd like to add a few of you.

Its taken me 4 days to read this thread from start to finish, so i hope there isn't aother 200+ page thread hidden away...

I've never tried any form of competitive battling but seeing all you guys making teams and battling has made me want to join in, well try to anyways lol

Added!

My only tip is not to be afraid of posting or asking something stupid. Most responses will attempts at flexing pokeknowledge, so you'll end up learning a lot. Don't let theprodigy get you down either; if he responds to you, it means you're worthy.

Hey man, welcome to the OT! We actually have two other 200+ page OTs, but don't worry about reading those. XD

I haven't been playing much Pokémon the past few days (I've been sick and haven't felt like doing much of anything), but I'll make sure to add you for whenever I do end up getting back on!

I look forward to seeing some more of your posts in the thread! Enjoy your stay.

spiritfox

If you want to breed, just ask us for tips or whatnot. Most of us have leftovers we are willing to gift to get you started.

onslack

... O_O

Ah, welcome!

tell me about it! you guys don't half post alot!!!

Added!

My only tip is not to be afraid of posting or asking something stupid. Most responses will attempts at flexing pokeknowledge, so you'll end up learning a lot. Don't let theprodigy get you down either; if he responds to you, it means you're worthy.

cheers for the add, im assuming i can find all your FC's on the 1st page on the google doc?

cheers for the tip, ive been playing since the days of red/blue but never really had the urge to take a deeper look at the game so any pokeknowledge would be welcome

Hey man, welcome to the OT! We actually have two other 200+ page OTs, but don't worry about reading those. XD

I haven't been playing much Pokémon the past few days (I've been sick and haven't felt like doing much of anything), but I'll make sure to add you for whenever I do end up getting back on!

I look forward to seeing some more of your posts in the thread! Enjoy your stay.

cheers for the welcome buddy

I've already read all 261 pages of the other community thread, FML to reading anymore LOL

If you want to breed, just ask us for tips or whatnot. Most of us have leftovers we are willing to gift to get you started.

Breeding/IV'ing/EV'ing is still all very new to me so any breeding rejects people want to get rid of i'd happily have some, i dont have anything half decent to give back in return though!

have all of you been poke fans from red/blue days?

NEO0MJ

Breeding/IV'ing/EV'ing is still all very new to me so any breeding rejects people want to get rid of i'd happily have some, i dont have anything half decent to give back in return though!

I think most people here have no problem simply giving away their breeding leftovers.

have all of you been poke fans from red/blue days?

Yeah, never skipped a game since red/blue, though I stopped playing the third game by emerald. Unfortunately I lost all my pre-DS games :(

Have you looked at the Pokemon Community Thread?

onslack

I think most people here have no problem simply giving away their breeding leftovers.

Yeah, never skipped a game since red/blue, though I stopped playing the third game by emerald. Unfortunately I lost all my pre-DS games :(

Have you looked at the Pokemon Community Thread?

if they don't then that's pretty damn decent of them!

only games ive skipped have been some of the 3rd games in a generation (eg. platinum etc, i have emerald though)

i have read every page on that thread as well, this and that thread are pinned to my browser for any updates lol

any of you guys looking to enter the vgc?

I won the lottery, not sure what I'll do with the master ball. Best thing is I won with a Kangaskarn I got from a wonder trade and was going to release (Early Bird and Dusk ball ew...for getting return powered up ASAP I prefer luxury otherwise quick or heal for looks).

I computed the stats on getting a 6IV Pokemon form breeding...looks like I was right to go with both parents having the 5s in different places, shame that is still 1/96. Then if it is female it is 1/55 to try again for gender. Maybe I should have gone with Eevee or a starter for sanity in getting my first 6IV.

Bulbapedia is a great go-to source and the Nature/Characteristics are the same.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Nature

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Characteristics
Except for "Takes plenty of siestas", that used to be "often dozes off" (as the hover note says on Bulbapedia)

Speaking of which my Spanish Ralts takes plenty of siestas, rather appropriate.

Antagon

How well are these games in introducing stuff to new players? I got Pokemon White 2 earlier this year, but I've got the feeling that I'm missing a lot of features in the game. Things like which elements to use when, what nature is, how useful certain support moves are, etc all are still a bit unclear to me.

Next to that, I'm struggling with the electric badge. I didn't have any ground type pokemon in my team and felt a bit underleveled, so I've been grinding for quite a bit to get some drilbur I found and the rest of the team ready for the gym.

All in all, I've got the feeling that I'm missing out on a lot of stuff and White 2 seems to be a pretty bad introduction to the mechanics. Are the X/Y games better at this?

Holmes

God, I've sweet scented the Frost Cavern to death looking for a Hydration Smoochum. The worst is when there are 4 Forewarns, so I gotta inflict a status on all of them all while they put me to sleep or confuse me just for that one Smoochum that is most likely Oblivious. It's a pain.

Whoa, you read every page. Well welcome, we're a friendly bunch and you can talk about whatever you want. Ask any questions you want about natures, moves, or the game in general, or ask for breeding leftovers, gloat over a shiny, or battle any of us, we're all here to have fun.

Whew man, thats dedication! Welcome!

onslack

Whew man, thats dedication! Welcome!

i was lurking on all the threads that were starting up before and after X/Y's release

Whoa, you read every page. Well welcome, we're a friendly bunch and you can talk about whatever you want. Ask any questions you want about natures, moves, or the game in general, or ask for breeding leftovers, gloat over a shiny, or battle any of us, we're all here to have fun.

Thank you for the welcome guys, once i start trying to breed some sure i'll start asking more questions!

I'm in the process of completing my pokedex at the moment.

Welcome! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcgvYhvRN8g

Your journey begins!

Nbz

Hey guys! New to GAF, but very familiar with the competitive scene, been playing since 4th gen in 2007. Hopefully I can help some people out in this thread and get some trades on the go!

Holmes

Hydration Smoochum finally popped up, with perfect HP, attack and special defense. Love how wild babies have some perfect IVs. Now to make a timid offspring (luckily I have a timid Mienfoo), and level up Drowzee to 53 for Nasty Plot. :)

Hey guys! New to GAF, but very familiar with the competitive scene, been playing since 4th gen in 2007. Hopefully I can help some people out in this thread and get some trades on the go!
Welcome! That's what this thread is so hopefully you won't be disappointed.

Proof that the Metal Coat + Scyther trick does work and still works:

BZ71AusIcAAUso1.jpg

This picture was taken yesterday morning, I was able to get four more Mewtwo throughout the course of the day and I intend to fill a whole box of them eventually. Just keep at it. It's funny because I actually put up a spare Zygarde up for trade for a Mewtwo and got nothing for two hours; I put up a Scyther with a Metal Coat and got a Mewtwo after 30 minutes.

I wonder traded a box filled with old breeding rejects and ended up getting two cool mons, a Growlithe with Close Combat and a female Moxie Scraggy that knows Dragon Dance, Drain Punch, and Ice Punch. Females can pass down egg moves this gen, right?!

Also, I started breeding Jolly Technician Scyther and ended up with two male Technician 6IV'd Scyther. Anyone want one? Looking for another 6IV'd mon.

P.S: The Oval Charm is bananas.

Sigmaah

Proof that the Metal Coat + Scyther trick does work and still works:

This picture was taken yesterday morning, I was able to get four more Mewtwo throughout the course of the day and I intend to fill a whole box of them eventually. Just keep at it. It's funny because I actually put up a spare Zygarde up for trade for a Mewtwo and got nothing for two hours; I put up a Scyther with a Metal Coat and got a Mewtwo after 30 minutes.

I wonder traded a box filled with old breeding rejects and ended up getting two cool mons, a Growlithe with Close Combat and a female Moxie Scraggy that knows Dragon Dance, Drain Punch, and Ice Punch. Females can pass down egg moves this gen, right?!

Also, I started breeding Jolly Technician Scyther and ended up with two 6IV'd Scyther. Anyone want one? Looking for another 6IV'd mon.

P.S: The Oval Charm is bananas.

I don't have any 6v mon but I can give u a 5v drillbue with mold breaker for a scyther, it would save me some trouble of breeding it : D if you have a spare 5v, we can just trade 5 for 5.

Wichu

How well are these games in introducing stuff to new players? I got Pokemon White 2 earlier this year, but I've got the feeling that I'm missing a lot of features in the game. Things like which elements to use when, what nature is, how useful certain support moves are, etc all are still a bit unclear to me.

Next to that, I'm struggling with the electric badge. I didn't have any ground type pokemon in my team and felt a bit underleveled, so I've been grinding for quite a bit to get some drilbur I found and the rest of the team ready for the gym.

All in all, I've got the feeling that I'm missing out on a lot of stuff and White 2 seems to be a pretty bad introduction to the mechanics. Are the X/Y games better at this?

A lot of the more in-depth stuff isn't really explained that well in the games. The official website has quite a lot of useful information (such as a type chart). Bulbapedia is the biggest Pokémon wiki, and goes into detail on the various moves and abilities.
The best way to get the hang of things is to play the game; after a while, you'll be able to remember most of the type matchups and enemy Pokémon typings etc.

Many of the features can be safely ignored if you're just playing through the story (e.g. natures), but become important if you want to play online (and win).

I don't have any 6v mon but I can give u a 5v drillbue with mold breaker for a scyther, it would save me some trouble of breeding it : D if you have a spare 5v, we can just trade 5 for 5.

I can definitely give you a 5IV tech Scyther for one of those Drilbur. You down for trading right now?

Hell yes bro! Hoppin online right now! Ign is Jody.
Nice. I'll be Stanley in game. I'll initiate the trade when I see you, lol.

What's this Scyther trick?
Put a Scyther in the GTS equipped with a Metal Coat and you can ask for everything that is obtainable right now since Scizor is very popular.

It helps if the Scyther is Technician. I usually put up messages letting people know if they're Technician.

Sigmaah

Put a Scyther in the GTS equipped with a Metal Coat and you can ask for everything that is obtainable right now since Scizor is very popular.

It helps if the Scyther is Technician. I usually put up messages letting people know if they're Technician.

thank you! I fucking love scyther!

Hey bro, do u have a 31/31/31/x/31/31 scyther?

Sigmaah

No problem, and I think I do have one of those but it's a female with Swarm.

Damn, I'm tryna get a perfect 5v technician, think I can just breed that female and hope to get technician?

If you have 2 4v parents without sp.atk I'll take those and I'll breed for the 5v one, sp.a doesn't really do anything so I kinda just see this as a 4v scyther lol

How are you getting so many metal coats?

Top Bottom