• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

Holmes

Mixed wall Goodra with assault vest, what do you guys figure is the better nature - sassy or relaxed? Sassy is of course the safe choice, but I feel like with its already high special defense and the assault vest, that relaxed might be more beneficial (along with 252 defense EVs) since its defense stat can use a little help, and since I'll be running Counter on it as well.

Mixed wall Goodra with assault vest, what do you guys figure is the better nature - sassy or relaxed? Sassy is of course the safe choice, but I feel like with its already high special defense and the assault vest, that relaxed might be more beneficial (along with 252 defense EVs) since its defense stat can use a little help, and since I'll be running Counter on it as well.

definitely +Def if you already have an Assault Vest

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Holy hell do I hate stallers on super singles.

Also swear to god that they rigged the RNG to screw you over in this. Immobilised by love for 5 times? Really?

DaBoss

Fucking finally. I had a Lucario (5 IVs) and Swinub (4 IVs) and it just wouldn't give me a 5 IV Swinub. It took about 40 eggs to finally get one...and then another one. Both in the same batch and both have Thick Fat. One male and one female.

I think I'm gonna need more than one perfect Pokemon for each species, one for Doubles and one for Singles. And maybe more than that depending on the different move sets available.

This is a huge stretch but I'd really like to start getting into the meta game but am extremely new to the breeding, IV's, natures, etc.

Would anyone happen to have a decent IV Pokemon they'd be willing to trade me? Ideally I'm looking to start with a three team of Mawile, Rotom, and Krookodile, so anyone who could breed with them would be ideal. Or even a Ditto for that matter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sigmaah

Smogon says naive for flamethrower, but I don't know why you wouldn't just go jolly or adamant and use fire punch.

That's what I'm saying and why would u even wanna lower any of its defenses? Seems weird to me. Might go impish or jolly

PK Gaming

Smogon says naive for flamethrower, but I don't know why you wouldn't just go jolly or adamant and use fire punch.
Because Fire Punch has significantly lower base power.

I know Electivire's higher attack stat makes Fire Punch more compelling, but believe me when I say that base power makes a huge difference in damage.

EDIT: It's also important to keep in mind, the Electivire analysis references the RU metagame where Tangrowth was common and doesn't necessarily translate to X&Y.

NEO0MJ

OMFG. Was going for a 31/31/31/x/31/x Bergmite with Sturdy, and I was kind of still in the beginning. A 3 IV female Bergmite that I bred with my 4 IV Ditto... and a shiny male Sturdy Bergmite hatches!!

Lucky! I would have loved getting a shiny Avalugg, but I'm too lazy to masuda, shiny check.

Aegislash is all about mind games. Don't just blindly follow the sequence and you can trip up your opponent.

Yeah, that pokemon has a lot more to offer than just sword dance> Sacred Sword>King's Shield/Shadow Sneak.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Yeah, that pokemon has a lot more to offer than just sword dance> Sacred Sword>King's Shield/Shadow Sneak.
True, but if you don't make it specialized to fit a single role, it won't be as affective as any decent move can kill blade form. If you don't kill on your form switch, you're pretty much dead.

Antiwhippy

Argh, I seriously think that I'm having the worst bit of luck lately. Moves like hurricane never miss on me, even outside rain.

Ok can someone explain something to me:

I want to start breeding my Mawile to get better IV's but am confused as to how not to fuck this up. I have a female Mawile with two 31 IV's (HP and Special Defense), and has an Adamant nature which is what I ultimately want. How can I pass on both the nature and hopefully the perfect IV's if they can only hold one item? I thought about the idea of using my Watchog which has the same nature and is compatible... but I also eventually want to breed Fire Fang onto the thing which would come from my Manectric... which does not have an Adamant nature. How the hell can I get Fire Fang on to a Mawile, while keeping my IV's and the nature?

spiritfox

Ok can someone explain something to me:

I want to start breeding my Mawile to get better IV's but am confused as to how not to fuck this up. I have a female Mawile with two 31 IV's (HP and Special Defense), and has an Adamant nature which is what I ultimately want. How can I pass on both the nature and hopefully the perfect IV's if they can only hold one item? I thought about the idea of using my Watchog which has the same nature and is compatible... but I also eventually want to breed Fire Fang onto the thing which would come from my Manectric... which does not have an Adamant nature. How the hell can I get Fire Fang on to a Mawile, while keeping my IV's and the nature?

You can leave Destiny Knot on either of the Pokemon and it'll transfer 5 IVs from both parents. But it's random (out if the 12 stats) what it'll pull from. If you're just starting maybe start with Destiny Knot and a Power item so as to ensure at least one stat is passed down. Natures are easy to get and could be gotten last.

And to make things easier you could ask us if we have any leftovers. I was just breeding Mawiles so if you want I can give you one. I'm not online right now though.

You can leave Destiny Knot on either of the Pokemon and it'll transfer 5 IVs from both parents. But it's random (out if the 12 stats) what it'll pull from. If you're just starting maybe start with Destiny Knot and a Power item so as to ensure at least one stat is passed down. Natures are easy to get and could be gotten last.

And to make things easier you could ask us if we have any leftovers. I was just breeding Mawiles so if you want I can give you one. I'm not online right now though.

So I should really start with getting the move over... then the IV's... the the nature? I guess I was assuming Destiny Knot took five out of the six from the parent holding it. What do you have for Mawile in terms of stats? It's probably better than what I have.

NEO0MJ

Finally evolved my Deino into Hydreigon! Man, that took forever. I pushed the last 14 levels with rare candy. Gonna hate having to do this again with Larvesta.

So I should really start with getting the move over... then the IV's... the the nature? I guess I was assuming Destiny Knot took five out of the six from the parent holding it. What do you have for Mawile in terms of stats? It's probably better than what I have.

You got the order right, but got confused about what destiny know does. It randomly picks 3 IVs from one parent and 2 IVs from another parent. The only way to have any control at all is using a power item, which guarantees that you'll get at least one of the perfect IVs.

Antiwhippy

Damn, crimson. I keep forgetting about energy ball on galavantula.

Also thunder hitting twice and fire blast missing once?

I really have the worst luck today. :(

CrimsonN0

Galvantula has Compound Eyes.

Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Sticky Web up on my side.
All Bug team.
Lets see if I can make another comeback.

I swear you're absorbing all the bad luck from every famous Pokemon person ever :lol

edit: Galvantula Thunder? that doesn't count, 91% accuracy right there

Antiwhippy

Whao, I had no idea that mega heracross gets skill link. I was so confused when you used rock blast, pin missile and bullet seed.

edit: should have seen that thunder coming. I was hoping that mega absol could at least survive one hit though.

You got the order right, but got confused about what destiny know does. It randomly picks 3 IVs from one parent and 2 IVs from another parent. The only way to have any control at all is using a power item, which guarantees that you'll get at least one of the perfect IVs.

Technically, Destiny Knot picks out 5 random IVs from both parents in any manner. So, it could be 2 IVs from one parent and 3 from the other, only 1 IV from a parent and 4 from the other, or even 5 IVs from only one parent.

I personally go Egg Moves > Nature > IVs. That way when IV breeding, I can just toss an Everstone onto whatever parent has the nature I want.

NEO0MJ

edit: should have seen that thunder coming. I was hoping that mega absol could at least survive one hit though.

Mega Absol is too Fragile. It doesn't get a defensive boost, and its HP was already low.

Technically, Destiny Knot picks out 5 random IVs from both parents in any manner. So, it could be 2 IVs from one parent and 3 from the other, only 1 IV from a parent and 4 from the other, or even 5 IVs from only one parent.

Oh, I thought it was always 2/3.

Finally evolved my Deino into Hydreigon! Man, that took forever. I pushed the last 14 levels with rare candy. Gonna hate having to do this again with Larvesta.

argh this. i love both of them but gosh dang they take an eternity. I haven't even finished leveling her up to eighty for rage powder yet.

Antiwhippy

The main idea of this team was to lay spikes and stealth rock in order to make him a late game sweeper, but I still haven't quite figured out the dynamics of it.

Antiwhippy

Argh, sticky web is so annoying.

It's hard to fight against your bug team crimson. Only chandelure is able to do any damage to it.

Top Bottom