• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

TWILT

Banned
Quoting my two Scizor conundrums for the new page. Could anyone offer some advice? I've only ever played the Sciz as an all-out attacker, so a bulky spread is a bit foreign to me.

I only use my Scizor as an all out attacker myself, but I'd go for BulletPunch/Roost/SwordsDance/X-Scissor. Being allowed only two actual attacking moves, I think he should go for his best STAB moves (Bug Bite's better, but it's BW2 tutor only, so...). I think an EV spread of something like 252HP/40Atk/216SpD (though I just got this off Smogon, but it seems to be a good way to bulky without sacrificing too much of Scizor's power) would work.

I should try a bulky Mega Scizor myself.

I only use my Scizor as an all out attacker myself, but I'd go for BulletPunch/Roost/SwordsDance/X-Scissor. Being allowed only two actual attacking moves, I think he should go for his best STAB moves (Bug Bite's better, but it's BW2 tutor only, so...). I think an EV spread of something like 252HP/40Atk/216SpD (though I just got this off Smogon, but it seems to be a good way to bulky without sacrificing too much of Scizor's power) would work.

I should try a bulky Mega Scizor myself.

The only problem with using X-Scissor over Thief is that you get walled entirely by Aegislash, who happens to be one of the most common Pokémon in the metagame right now.

Why 40 Attack/216 Sp. Def, by the way? Isn't it better to put all 252 points into one or the other?

WonderPup

If anyone wants anything from this list, let me know. The new additions are the Solosis at the bottom.

Two Imposter Dittos at 31 HP
One female Timid Gastly at 4 IVs
Three assorted Timid Gastlies at 3 IVs
Three Quiet Claunchers at 3 IVs (counting the 0 speed)
Three Quiet Claunchers at 3 IVs (speed is NOT zero)
Two Calm Prankster Sableyes at 4 IVs (Recover egg move)
Two Relaxed Aroma Veil Spritzees with 4 IVs (counting 0 speed)
Eight Relaxed Aroma Veil Spritzees with 4 IVs (speed is NOT zero)
Two Relaxed Healer Spritzees with 4 IVs (speed is NOT zero)
Two Adamant Clear Body Beldums with 4 IVs
One Adamant Mawile at 31/31/x/x/31/31(Ice Fang egg move)
Four Brave Mawiles with 4 IVs (counting 0 speed) (Ice Fang egg move)
Four Brave Mawiles with 4 IVs (speed is NOT zero) (Ice Fang egg move)
One Brave Mawile at 31/31/31/x/31/31 (Ice Fang egg move)
Nine Quiet Solosis with 4 IVs (counting 0 speed)
Ten Quiet Solosis at 31/x/31/31/31/x

TWILT

Banned
The only problem with using X-Scissor over Thief is that you get walled entirely by Aegislash, who happens to be one of the most common Pokémon in the metagame right now.

Why 40 Attack/216 Sp. Def, by the way? Isn't it better to put all 252 points into one or the other?

Honestly, I feel that you're better off just plain trying to use another Pokemon to counter pick Aegislash. Scizor doesn't have to handle everything.

EV spread is like that so while you're still giving him a good SpDef boost, you're not completely sacrificing power for it. Though to be honest, I just copied the spread off Smogon, so...

backlot

The 40 Attack EV's are probably to ensure a specific KO. A lot of offensive Pokemon use 252/252 EV spreads to hit as hard and fast as possible but for defensive Pokemon you might be better off putting more thought into your EV spread. Nugget Bridge had a pretty good article about it recently:

http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/bulking-guide-defensive-ev-spreads/

Azure J

Does Masuda Method work when you have a Pokemon from a different region and a Pokemon caught/raised by yourself shacked up together? If not, does anyone have an out of US region Adamant Technician Scyther they can lend me for a bit?

Nothing like getting robbed trying the GTS to make you :| faced permanently. I just want a shiny Scizor man. I'll also greatly accept an out of region Timid Ditto and out of region Staryu,

Honestly, I feel that you're better off just plain trying to use another Pokemon to counter pick Aegislash. Scizor doesn't have to handle everything.

EV spread is like that so while you're still giving him a good SpDef boost, you're not completely sacrificing power for it. Though to be honest, I just copied the spread off Smogon, so...

True enough. I have tons of counters to Aegislash as it is. I guess I just don't relish the idea of losing the momentum of a couple of Swords Dances all at once... T^T

Mega Scizor should make a great addition to my B-Team, though. All I need is someone who can supply reliable Rain support and I'm set!

EDIT: Crunched some numbers and I guess the 40 EVs in Attack or so that its max Attack stat is higher than that of a fully invested non-Mega Scizor. Neat, I suppose.

PK Gaming

Quoting my two Scizor conundrums for the new page. Could anyone offer some advice? I've only ever played the Sciz as an all-out attacker, so a bulky spread is a bit foreign to me.

The bulky SD set is a tried and true classic, and Mega Scizor is really good at it so max speed isn't all that useful atm (especially w/o superpower) so you can cross that out. Bulky SD Scizor is traditionally played with investment in Special Defense, since it makes you better suited to taking stronger special hits, (Draco Meteors, neutral Shadow Balls etc) and you're already pretty solid on the physical side. IMO you should go with 252HP / 252SpD/Adamant (or to be more accurate, 252hp/12atk/244 due to the extra bonus point in attack that's received). The idea is to set up on something that can't touch you mid-lategame and wreck shop.

Movesetwise, the set you listed looks good. SD / Bulletpunch / Roost are mandatory, so you can play around with using X-scissor, thief, whatever. Thief lets you obliterate Aegislash, so it gets a nod in my book. You'll probably want to partner this thing up with Rotom-W to deal with the Steel-types that wall your shit from hell to back.

Thanks for the tips! None of the sets I mentioned had Speed investment though :p

Is it worth having a spread of 252/12/244 over one of 252/40/216? Would there be any noticeable differences between the two?

PK Gaming

Thanks for the tips! None of the sets I mentioned had Speed investment though :p

Is it worth having a spread of 252/12/244 over one of 252/40/216? Would there be any noticeable differences between the two?

I know for a fact that 252/244 always lets you avoid the 2hko from Mega Gengar, whereas 252/216 has a ridiculously chance of 2hkoing after Stealth Rock. I'd go with the former spread just to be safe.

I still have 12 Timid Male Eevees to trade
All have 31/X/31/31/31/31
8 have Anticipation
4 have Adaptibility/Run Away
Egg Moves: Covet/Charm/Wish/Yawn

backlot

Does Masuda Method work when you have a Pokemon from a different region and a Pokemon caught/raised by yourself shacked up together? If not, does anyone have an out of US region Adamant Technician Scyther they can lend me for a bit?

Nothing like getting robbed trying the GTS to make you :| faced permanently. I just want a shiny Scizor man. I'll also greatly accept an out of region Timid Ditto and out of region Staryu,

I think Masuda Method works as long as the two parent Pokemon are from different language games. It shouldn't matter if you are their OT or not.

If anyone wants anything from this list, let me know. The new additions are the Solosis at the bottom.

Two Imposter Dittos at 31 HP
One female Timid Gastly at 4 IVs
Three assorted Timid Gastlies at 3 IVs
Three Quiet Claunchers at 3 IVs (counting the 0 speed)
Three Quiet Claunchers at 3 IVs (speed is NOT zero)
Two Calm Prankster Sableyes at 4 IVs (Recover egg move)
Two Relaxed Aroma Veil Spritzees with 4 IVs (counting 0 speed)
Eight Relaxed Aroma Veil Spritzees with 4 IVs (speed is NOT zero)
Two Relaxed Healer Spritzees with 4 IVs (speed is NOT zero)
Two Adamant Clear Body Beldums with 4 IVs
One Adamant Mawile at 31/31/x/x/31/31(Ice Fang egg move)
Four Brave Mawiles with 4 IVs (counting 0 speed) (Ice Fang egg move)
Four Brave Mawiles with 4 IVs (speed is NOT zero) (Ice Fang egg move)
One Brave Mawile at 31/31/31/x/31/31 (Ice Fang egg move)
Nine Quiet Solosis with 4 IVs (counting 0 speed)
Ten Quiet Solosis at 31/x/31/31/31/x

I'll take one of those Quiet Solosis with the 31/x/31/31/31/x spread. Are any of them female with Magic Guard? I'll PM you later.

onslack

i dont suppose anyone has a spare chespin and a squirtle ? they dont need to be anything special as i have nothing of special to give in return :(

if anyone could be kind enough to help, also have the request to help me evolve some of my trade only 'mon

Anyone around that can answer my newbie shiny breeding question? :(

I'm sure w/e your question is it can easily be answered with using the instacheck thingy.

(Assuming you know the ins and outs of reg breeding and you're now breeding for a SHINY that may or may not have the right IVs and Nature you're looking for that is)

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Yes, it will work. You just need 2 Pokemon that have different region indicators; it's not US region, it's English, so don't go looking for Australia, UK, any game that is set on the English language.

But Whismur has 2 HP EV though according to that picture in OP
My favourite blunder in that picture is the different genders rule as it contradicts the previous rule of same egg group (though to be fair I don't understand why Gamefreak put Nidorina/queen into undiscovered in the first place).

Confirming as well: GTS Mewtwos are flowing

GTS Xerneases on the other hand not so much.
There are twice as many Mewtwo as both X and Y can get it. Zygarde is the same. The birds I'm more interested in as it seems everyone wants Articuno...makes me wonder if Chespin was an unpopular starter.

Holmes

Goodra@Leftovers or Assault Vest
Gooey
Bold, 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpA
- Acid Armor / Dragon Tail
- Counter
- Dragon Pulse
- Sludge Bomb / Flamethrower / Thunderbolt

Thoughts? I think I prefer Acid Armor, but Dragon Tail forces my opponent to switch into entry hazards and lets me equip Assault Vest. As for my third move, I'm still undecided but leaning Sludge Bomb. But Flamethrower looks enticing too.

Bulbasaur

Banned
After like 2 weeks of purely trying to hatch pokemon with perfect IV's I personally will say this shit is a fucking chore and is in no way "fun"

I appreciate that they've tried to make it easier but Fuck.. To have a competitive team shouldn't be this much of a time sink.

SeZMehK

After like 2 weeks of purely trying to hatch pokemon with perfect IV's I personally will say this shit is a fucking chore and is in no way "fun"

I appreciate that they've tried to make it easier but Fuck.. To have a competitive team shouldn't be this much of a time sink.
IMO I find making perfect pokemon a great time sink. Always being able to have any pokemon ready for battle. :D

Well, It hasn't take too much time for me... I can get through to 5V in an hour or so, by careful parent replacement and Ditto selection (it helps that I've been collecting 3V Ditto for a while), not to mention the effort I put in to get the Oval Charm, and the usage of Hatching Power since I've gotten it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

You don't need to make it perfect. I have only one perfect pokemon and most of the time I lose is due to me making dumbass mistakes or type mismatches rather than anything to do with not being able to deal just that little but more damage. Speed is really the only important thing to consider.

I have a feeling that breeding's going to get a lot easier come December once people start importing their 6IV RNG'd Ditto. You'll be able to make a perfect, battle-ready Pokémon in less time than it takes to bake a cake.

Also, could someone please help me evolve my Scyther? It's fully trained and ready to go, I just need to make the most important step :)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I have a feeling that breeding's going to get a lot easier come December once people start importing their 6IV RNG'd Ditto. You'll be able to make a perfect, battle-ready Pokémon in less time than it takes to bake a cake.

Also, could someone please help me evolve my Scyther? It's fully trained and ready to go, I just need to make the most important step :)

I'm up, so just hit me up. I'm grinding away at super singles atm. Spamming outrage with haxorus actually works fairly well!

Mumei

I'm also working on making a Scizor, so I've found the discussion this last page or so quite interesting.

I've given up on "perfect" since that is still too hard, but 5IV is pretty easy.

FSLink

Banned
No problems.

Now to get back grinding for this stupid ability capsule.

Fuck you GF for making it 200bp. :(

I don't understand why they made it so expensive if it's not infinite use OR doesn't work to change it to a hidden ability or a hidden ability to a normal ability. :/

MicH

Scrafty, what set did you end up using on your mega Scizor?

I don't understand why they made it so expensive if it's not infinite use OR doesn't work to change it to a hidden ability or a hidden ability to a normal ability. :/
It's absolutely useless at hat price. The only thing I would ever use it for would be if I got a shiny with the wrong ability.

Top Bottom