• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

Sigmaah

qfftTA3.png

http://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/

Chandelure has one of the highest Special Attacks at 145 and even with Filter, a super effective STAB heat wave can still take you out in singles. Attack powers are 75% if multitarget though. I don't really know which special attackers you'll encounter most frequently, but you can use that calculator to see what they can do to you at different EV investments

Oh shit, thank you for that!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Aggron is never meant to take a special attack, even in mega form. It's best to play to his strengths as a physical wall to force certain types out and set up stealth rocks, thunder wave or head smash.

DaBoss

Those were a lot of fun battles Crimson. Thanks.

You also helped me experiment with Volcarona against Azumarill and Tyrannitar, but there is one thing I didn't try on Tyrannitar that I wish I did.

Also, was wondering why Rapid Spin didn't work, but it seems to have not work due to dying to Iron Barbs. Didn't know about that till now. You learn something new everyday.
I did say cool. :p

could be an option, but I have more than enough special sweepers already.
But Goodra is actually a much MUCH cooler version of Dragonite. It also doesn't go full derp (seriously, Dragonite makes the funniest face ever) when it uses Dragon Dance
because why would someone use it on a Goodra? lol

Fury Sense

Aggron is never meant to take a special attack, even in mega form. It's best to play to his strengths as a physical wall to force certain types out and set up stealth rocks, thunder wave or head smash.
But if Sigmaah conditions the opponent to expect a switch, Aggron is suddenly confident enough to stay on offense!

PK Gaming

For aggron, I'm tryna make it so he's really defensive and can't really die in 1 hit, gonna make him my mega.

Should I do 252 sp.d/hp for that? That's what I'm thinking.
Definitely!

Remember:
  • 252HP is mandatory. You get a boost to BOTH of your defenses, and Aggron itself has a low base HP stat, so the investment is helpful.
  • 252Def doesn't make much of a difference because Mega Aggron's defense stat is already ridiculously high.
  • You are much better off investing in SpD to nearly DOUBLE your Special Defense.
  • Impish should still be used over a SpD+ nature because it gives you a 10% boost to physical defense, which is especially significant for Mega Aggron.

Here are some sample calculations to illustrate my point:
252 SpA Mega Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 219-258 (63.66 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Greninga Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Mega Aggron: 181-214 (52.61 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Chandelure Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Filter Aggron: 267-315 (77.61 - 91.56%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (though Chandelure is more likely to use Fire Blast)
252 SpA Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Filter Aggron: 184-217 (53.48 - 63.08%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

These are Special Attacks that would otherwise maul you without Special Defense investment.

True, but SpD investment grants you opportunities against certain Pokemon that you wouldn't ordinarily have. Gengar for example cannot force you out if you have SpD investment, because Focus Blast can't OHKO you.

Filter is that potent.

PK Gaming

tbf Hydro Pump was never going to do much anyway, it's not even SE
Without the SpD investment to you take (70.34 - 82.84%) from Hydro, which is quite a bit more damage.

It basically means if Mega Aggron dips below that % range (and it will, since it's going to be switch in a lot) it'll be vulnerable to an OHKO Greninja. The threshold for being taken out by Greninja is much lower with the SpD investment. I've been able to paralyze a lot of Greninja's that way.

Antiwhippy

Without the SpD investment to you take (70.34 - 82.84%) from Hydro, which is quite a bit more damage.

It basically means if Mega Aggron dips below that % range (and it will, since it's going to be switch in a lot) it'll be vulnerable to an OHKO Greninja. The threshold for being taken out by Greninja is much lower with the SpD investment. I've been able to paralyze a lot of Greninja's that way.

You're still crippling your mega needlessly, though your m gengar example is appealing. Problem with trying to reduce it down to a 2hko scenario is that aggron is so slow that most of the time it's a negative trade for him, though with m gengar and greninja you can probably OHKO back.

PK Gaming

You're still crippling your mega needlessly, though your m gengar example is appealing. Problem with trying to reduce it down to a 2hko scenario is that aggron is so slow that most of the time it's a negative trade for him, though with m gengar and greninja you can probably OHKO back.
I fail to see how you're crippling it though. Let's go over the stats:

HP: Non-negotiable
Atk: Not much point, especially without Mega Aggron's coverage moves. The ONLY example that comes to mind is Aegislash; you always 2HKO Aegislash with Earthquake with Attack investment.
Def: The returns on investing in defense are low. 63+ to a stat that's already 500+ isn't that significant
SpA: Nope!
SpD: Your SpD jumps from 196 ---> 254, which allows you survive significantly more Special Attacks as outlined in the calcs i've provided. Only STAB Fire-type Special moves can OHKO you.
Spe: Nope!!

Until Mega Aggron gets its coverage moves, it should be played as a defensive Pokemon.

Antiwhippy

I fail to see how you're crippling it though. Let's go over the stats:

HP: Non-negotiable
Atk: Not much point, especially without Mega Aggron's coverage moves. The ONLY example that comes to mind is Aegislash; you always 2HKO Aegislash with Earthquake with Attack investment.
Def: The returns on investing in defense are low. 63+ to a stat that's already 500+ isn't that significant
SpA: Nope!
SpD: Your SpD jumps from 196 ---> 254, which allows you survive significantly more Special Attacks as outlined in the calcs i've provided. Only STAB Fire-type Special moves can OHKO you.
Spe: Nope!!

Until Mega Aggron gets its coverage moves, it should be played as a defensive Pokemon.

As you've said, it's a defensive pokemon. So bringing it's HP down so precariously by staying in on a special attacker when you can take it out and bring it back on when there's a physical attacker and let it survive more hits makes no sense to me, unless it's like that M gengar situation where gengar's fragility might give aggron a chance to OHKO it with some attack investments, though I haven't made any calculations yet. M gengar makes sense though because if played right gengar is always going to take down at least one pokemon, most of the time two.

PK Gaming

As you've said, it's a defensive pokemon. So bringing it's HP down so precariously by staying in on a special attacker when you can take it out and bring it back on when there's a physical attacker and let it survive more hits makes no sense to me, unless it's like that M gengar situation where gengar's fragility might give aggron a chance to OHKO it with some attack investments, though I haven't made any calculations yet. M gengar makes sense though because if played right gengar is always going to take down at least one pokemon, most of the time two.
Yeah it's more of a situational thing.

Keeping Mega Aggron in against strong Special Attackers is generally a bad idea (A good Mega Aggron teammate should be able to deal with them), but the important distinction is that I can do it, if I need to. Going back to the Greninja example again, if it's lategame and Greninja is set to literally 6-0, it's useful having a Pokemon like Mega Aggron take a hit and paralyze it with Thunder Wave.

As an aside, SpD Mega Aggron is also a decent switch into Specs Goodra (provided you don't switch into Fire Blast) who is usually impossible to switch into.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Goodra Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Aggron: 153-180 (44.47 - 52.32%) -- 17.58% chance to 2HKO

VS

252+ SpA Choice Specs Goodra Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aggron: 201-237 (58.43 - 68.89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Should you run into a situation where Specs Goodra has safely switched into Mega Aggron, you can stay in and attack/t-wave/etc it with the SpD investment.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Goodra Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Filter Aggron: 262-309 (76.16 - 89.82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

VS

252+ SpA Choice Specs Goodra Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Filter Aggron: 346-408 (100.58 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
But you get absolutely murked without it.

That's why SpD investment is useful. It gives you more options in battles.

Yeah it's more of a situational thing.

Keeping Mega Aggron in against strong Special Attackers is generally a bad idea (since a good Mega Aggron teammate should be able to deal with them), but the important distinction is that I "can" do it, if I need to. Going back to the Greninja example again, if it's lategame and Greninja is set to literally 6-0, it's useful having a Pokemon like Mega Aggron take a hit and paralyze it with Thunder Wave.

As an aside, SpD Mega Aggron is also a decent switch into Specs Goodra (provided you don't switch into Fire Blast) who is usually impossible to switch into.

Should you run into a situation where Specs Goodra has safely switched into Mega Aggron, you can stay in and attack/t-wave/etc it with the SpD investment.

But you get absolutely murked without it.

That's why SpD investment is useful. It gives you more options in battles.

.....two things here:
1. who even runs Specs Goodra
2. if it has that item, after the first attack you can just switch in whatever absorbs the attack Goodra is locked in to (fairies for dragon moves, ground types for Thunderbolt, whatever)

although I mostly agree with your overall point

PK Gaming

.....two things here:
1. who even runs Specs Goodra
2. if it has that item, after the first attack you can just switch in whatever absorbs the attack Goodra is locked in to (fairies for dragon moves, ground types for Thunderbolt, whatever)

although I mostly agree with your overall point

1. Um, lots of people do, it's really good. Trust me!!!
2) That's kind of implied hehe. I'm just illustrating that you take far less damage with SpD investment, and can even survive a Specs Fire Blast at max health. Not too shabby if you ask me.

Antiwhippy

Wouldn't goodra outspeed it, even with 0 speed investments?

It'll be good if you want to save the pokemon specs goodra is targeting, but my trepidation to doing that is that you're still doing a trade that is in no way beneficial to aggron. Meanwhile goodra is pretty easy to revenge kill if you have pokemon like haxorus or weavile.

I get your point though, as most pokemon can't really switch in safely to specs draco meteor. Unless you have specially defensive steel types like ferrothorn or bronzong. Or fairy types.

Also I do agree with your general point, in that if you're going to invest into anything for M aggron you should invest in HP and sp def. But most of the time I'm switching out if there's a special attacker on the field.

edit: though most goodra sets I've seen are tankier sets anyway. Dunno how popular a specs set is.

Soule

Welp I ended up caving, first pokemon game I've bought since White back in 2011, was really disappointed that no retailers in my area seemed to have Y on them, gave up and just got X despite it being the only version my mates own. Had it for nearly a week now and I'm balls deep, just disappointed I can't transfer over my pokemon from White :(

Wonder trades are awesome though :) Loving it, friends really had to convince me to buy in and I didn't expect to get back into it the way I have but it's a joy right now to play. Even taken over Dota as my dominant game, for now anyway :p

NEO0MJ

We all know Salamence is the best dragon

Personally I never like Salamence, it just looked so plain and boring to me. I don't care how much of a murder machine it is.

It feels weird having a tank-y dragon be popular. I'm so used to the only dragons I see being DD/SD into Outrage/EQ/whatever.

There's also Dragalge, though Goodra seems to do its job much better as a defensive dragon. Still, I play with Dragalge, it just looks so much cooler, though I'm glad they went back to the cute dragon design with Goodra.

Usobuko

Banned
I need some answers for my question.

1) When it says 'failed to make a connection with the other player', is it implied from your end? Do you get win counts on your profile if the other guy just disconnect?

2) How do I find the codes of battle videos I had saved? I don't see it anyway on VS recorder.

Usobuko

Banned
Aesthetic wise, Latios / Latias are my favourite.

Salamence is pretty ugly looking and I remember running Gyarados over it back on Gen 3 battle.net

Usobuko

Banned
If you want my short review for Pokemon X and Y, I think what it does best for old players like me is streamlining the ease to breed competitive pokemon. I believe I have said a couple of times the last Pokemon I play and was up to date with was FireRed/Emerald. I was never a fan of in-game competitiveness because back then on battle stimulator, OU, I run legendaries like calm mind / leech seed Celebi against the notorious Blissey / Snorlax in Gen 3. Impossible to get unless you live in America or something and can attend all these Pokemon events. Even then, you are at the mercy of its nature, IV, HP etc.

My primary motivation to buy Pokemon Y was as a companion for my nephew to introduce turn based gameplay along with its strats to him, As much as I am rather reluctant to memorize speed tiers, movesets, numbers of hits need to ohko etc like I did before, I still very much enjoy the game. Both competitive play and its single player components. The ability to customise your trainer is a wonderful touch too. Also, I went like 5 Friends on 3DS to 30 simply of this game. I think I will see you guys again on Pokemon Z.

Nbz

I'll be breeding some of these later for anyone interested:

Zubat
Jolly
Infiltrator
31/31/31/xx/31/31
-Brave Bird
-Defog
-Whirlwind

CrimsonN0

Decided that for Thanksgiving I would actually get to breeding a Speed Boost Blaziken.

5IV Blaze.

Well, I guess I still have the rest of the day.

Holmes

Breeding a 4 IV Gooey Goomy and a 5 IV Gooey Goomy. Willing to bet it will take forever to get a 5 IV Gooey Goomy with the gender I want.
Decided that for Thanksgiving I would actually get to breeding a Speed Boost Blaziken.

5IV Blaze.

Well, I guess I still have the rest of the day.
If it's male, just replace it as the father.

Top Bottom