• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

upandaway

Smogon doesn't have a monopoly on Pokemon you know :p

Unless you get wrecked by a Weezing, that shit is totally ours.
I mean the particular 6 that are being called smogon team, all of a sudden it caught on with everyone I know. Kinda like Mesprit, Scizor, Tyranitar, Garchomp, Skarmory and Blissey in gen 4, I guess it's just easier with a label.

FSLink

Banned
It's kind of silly using a term like Smogon team for a team of just good Pokemon. I see Japanese players use them all the time for example and the majority of them obviously aren't huge users of Smogon, haha. People overuse them because they're just really good.

Labrys

okay, another question for you guys!
i've heard with the instachecker you can have someone else help you out/find out what your code is, and since i'm unable to get the program to work could someone else help me out on finding my code?

Made a video of how to clone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGDXLOCoKbE

Something I didn't show or explain very well in the video is that after turning off the first 3DS the second one shouldn't be getting instant-error'd. If it does then your timing's off. Black screen = too early, comm error = too late. And if you don't get an error but you ended up with just a normal trade then you were just a little too late.

And if you trade someone a clone without informing them that it's a clone and making sure they're OK with it then you're a dick.

PK Gaming

It's kind of silly using a term like Smogon team for a team of just good Pokemon. I see Japanese players use them all the time for example and the majority of them obviously aren't huge users of Smogon, haha. People overuse them because they're just really good.
Exactly

I don't think the existence of Smogon has lead people using the best Pokemon. Rather, people naturally gravitate towards using the "best" Pokemon. It happens all of the time in competitive games.

upandaway

I'm pretty sure the nickname only caught on because Smogon is related to competitive Pokemon and they are pretty competitive Pokemon

I mean, I feel like I'm missing something in this discussion

Sigmaah

Made a video of how to clone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGDXLOCoKbE

Something I didn't show or explain very well in the video is that after turning off the first 3DS the second one shouldn't be getting instant-error'd. If it does then your timing's off. Black screen = too early, comm error = too late. And if you don't get an error but you ended up with just a normal trade then you were just a little too late.

And if you trade someone a clone without informing them that it's a clone and making sure they're OK with it then you're a dick.

Oh shit thank you for the video tutorial! I love me some video tutorials. Gonna try this when I get home.

Got a question though, when u go to shut off your 3ds's, are u going back to the home page and closing the game or did you shut the system completely off? Looks like your 3ds's came back on pretty quick lol. And how do you "choose" what Pokemon to clone? I see you did noivern but how do u make sure u choose the specific pokemon you want to clone?

Also, got an extra shiny noivern you don't want? : D doesn't matter to me if it's a clone!

Sigmaah

Got extra 5v adamant drillburs with all abilities up for trade homies, gimme dem offers! Looking for other 5v pokemon I don't have.

Firestorm

I'm pretty sure the nickname only caught on because Smogon is related to competitive Pokemon and they are pretty competitive Pokemon

I mean, I feel like I'm missing something in this discussion
I think you're missing that you're the only person who uses this term or knows what it means. Have literally never used "Smogon Team" or heard that used in the 6 or 7 years I've been playing competitively.

Marz

Trying to complete my central dex and where the fuck is Plusle? It says its on route 5, but all I run into is Minun.

Sigmaah

Anyone have a female abra with magic guard that has iv's in sp.def? Need it badly! Can offer 4v Pokemon or maybe even 5v mon if it has more than 2vs but ones gotta be sp.def.

Nbz

Currently have 2 of these:

Zubat - Jolly
Inner Focus
31/31/31/xx/31/31
-Whirlwind
-Defog
-Brave Bird

Looking for:
Quints of the following
Litwick
Vullaby
Helioptile
Curse Goomy

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Currently have 2 of these:

Zubat - Jolly
Inner Focus
31/31/31/xx/31/31
-Whirlwind
-Defog
-Brave Bird

Looking for:
Quints of the following
Litwick
Vullaby
Helioptile
Curse Goomy

I have 5IV litwicks with infiltrator if you want them, but are you also breeding infiltrator zubats?

Wazzy

Banned
4T3W-WWWW-WWW3-CTV9

Fun match that was very close. If Serena is on here, that was fun! Sorry for no rematch, I was actually supposed to be trading.

Antiwhippy

Can I get a 5v litwick? I got 5v adamant mold breaker drillbur for trade! The only spare 5v pokemon I have sadly tho lol.

Sure. I'm going to breed some more anyway, because god help me, I think I'm going to go for a shiny on this one. It helps that I've found a good japanese breeding candidate on GTS.

Sigmaah

Sure. I'm going to breed some more anyway, because god help me, I think I'm going to go for a shiny on this one. It helps that I've found a good japanese breeding candidate on GTS.

Awesome! It's 5vs in the right stats correct? The drillbur has iv's in the stats it needs.

Shiny chandelure is dope as fuck, hope u get it soon! I cannot work for a shiny via MM, I'm afraid it'll take me 1000+ Eggs to get a shiny.

My FC is 1048-9257-7593 ign is Jody if I don't have u already added!

Antiwhippy

Awesome! It's 5vs in the right stats correct? The drillbur has iv's in the stats it needs.

My FC is 1048-9257-7593 ign is Jody if I don't have u already added!

Hm, no actually, seeing that it's missing the speed stat. If I get one I'll PM you though.

Sigmaah

Hah, I doubt that's gonna happen.

Oh well, worth a shot asking! Lmao.

Just bred the magic guard abra I needed earlier. Bouta go HAM and breed 5v magic guard abras, let's get it! And as a bonus, I have a male Japanese abra with 4vs so UaK I'm also gonna try MM this abra while I go for this 5v regular abra. SWAG.

Holmes

My god, I've hit a wall with my Solosis breeding. Breeding two 4 IV parents (including 0 IV speed) and after over ten batches, not one 5 IV offspring.

Fury Sense

I think the term "smogon team," even though not common/accepted, has legitimate meaning. But it loses relevance among more experienced and knowledgeable players. It's just how we beginners perceive the difference between playing with our favorite/cool pokemon and playing with the "best" pokemon. I know (almost?) any pokemon can fill a niche, but it takes some skill to be able to exploit that -- which can be frustrating. The perception is reinforced whenever we fail to counter a "smogon-mon" using a less popular pokemon.

I think as beginners get deeper into the gameplay, they/we start to realize how much consideration is put into team picking/balancing as well as learn that theoretical analysis is much more accessible than the simple type matchups with which we're familiar. Reading forums and lurking in #pokegaf/#nuggetbridge/#smogonwifi give good exposure to tactics and strategies. Things like a damage calculator really help to understand the mechanics. Bulbapedia / Smogon have really useful databases for learning about movepools and abilities and which pokemon can use them best. Watching battles on vs recorder, youtube, and pokemon showdown helps too (as long as there's variety).

When I started, I felt like all the pokemon I liked sucked in battle and was upset when the thought occurred that only smogon pokemon (OU and UU) were worth using competitively. But that's not how it is, especially in doubles/multis. Some pokemon just require more forethought and/or support than others.

Top Bottom